Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, ginga said:

Was the Star Tavern in the 1960's & 70s and before that was called the Northumberland Bar

Remember going to the Star in the early 70s every Friday lunch time. 15p for a pint of Dryburgh heavy in 1975, the human skull above the door, with its top hat and a light bulb in one of its eye sockets, and also the stories about the disasters that befell the place when the skull was moved.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl Fredrickson
9 hours ago, been here before said:

No idea but I bet theres folk behind it playing an old piano and playing it hot.

Probably laughing a lot too.

:clap:

18 hours ago, been here before said:

No idea but I bet theres folk behind it playing an old piano and playing it hot.

Probably laughing a lot too.

Excellent.  👏👏

Garvock jambo
On 02/02/2021 at 17:17, Maroon Sailor said:

I think it is - but it just looks so different now. Not sure what that is in the middle of the street (public toilets ?)

Where the" ladies of the night "looked for business 

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

B84C9D2A-4EBA-49D4-B16E-42E3905326ED.jpeg

Porty.

Edit. Beaten to it :)

Edited by Governor Tarkin

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

A few forgotten cinemas

Edinburgh cinemas.jpg

I think I have been in all or at least most of these cinemas at some time. As a laddie with pals take a tram because there was something special in one of them, as a bit older with a lassie who wanted to go to her local cinema ( actually I lied, never went to a cinema then, always a picture house) post army days bought a motor cycle with my savings and was able to travel to distant places like the Astoria in Manse Road. Up to the innovation of TV, which didn't happen in our house until late 1956, the cinema was the source of lower cost entertainment, and the presenter of filmed news. Different days, and each venue totally different mainly because its area of location and residents, and cost. Good days though again  source of lots of memories.

Edited by Sharpie

joondalupjambo
27 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Looks like Stockbridge with the Baillie in the corner. 

Yep.  The building with the letters what look like ANT on it, the one with the blinds down is now a coffee shop and where the people are walking up the road on the right hand side was the bank, originally a British Linen one I think and then latterly RBS.  It could now be an up market design shop but it has been a few things since the bank closed.

52 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep.  The building with the letters what look like ANT on it, the one with the blinds down is now a coffee shop and where the people are walking up the road on the right hand side was the bank, originally a British Linen one I think and then latterly RBS.  It could now be an up market design shop but it has been a few things since the bank closed.

👍

58 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210204_190727.jpg

I think the shop on the right (in grey) was a motor cycle repair place - but now it's the haggis place ? McSweens ? 

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210204_175307.jpg

The Princes Street library. Used to spend lunchtime reading the magazines. Don't remember ever buying one 😉

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210204_202039.jpg.ffc3a9f9430a0a11baee921768ad4367.jpg

Is that washing hanging up in that wooden structure ?

:wow: That whole scenario looks horrendous.

21 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I think the shop on the right (in grey) was a motor cycle repair place - but now it's the haggis place ? McSweens ? 

It’s Crombies the butchers just down a bit,  the grey shop is now a restaurant. Olive branch I think.

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210204_202039.jpg.ffc3a9f9430a0a11baee921768ad4367.jpg

Is that washing hanging up in that wooden structure ?

Yes, but I think it's concrete. It's like an Oxgangs Stonehenge.

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

beat me to it i was about to post Stonehenge lol

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

😄

Taking a chance hanging their washing out there.

23 minutes ago, obua said:

It’s Crombies the butchers just down a bit,  the grey shop is now a restaurant. Olive branch I think.

Cheers. 

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210204_190737.jpg

Its funny how sometimes you look at a picture and can almost feel yourself walking on the subject sidewalk. This one has does just that for me,I can feel it, smell it, and just tucking my police box keys away now I am clear of the box at the Tron.

19 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Its funny how sometimes you look at a picture and can almost feel yourself walking on the subject sidewalk. This one has does just that for me,I can feel it, smell it, and just tucking my police box keys away now I am clear of the box at the Tron.

I get what you mean. I'm "only" in my 60s but I see stuff on here that takes me way back to a different time that I can clearly remember, even from my youngest days. 

25 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I fully understand that, Bob.

I have that same feeling when someone posts a picture of the Braids, or of Morningside.  :sad: