Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Locky said:

Apologies if this has been covered previously, but the Clarks Pub thread on The Terrace led to me pulling up a map of Edinburgh from 1880. Was quite fascinated to see a couple of streets which have changed name over the years.

Namely, Dundas Street only ran from Heriot Row, down to Great King Street, and was called Pitt Street down Henderson Row. Also, Dublin Street only ran from Drummon Place, to the junction of Abercromby/Albany, and the top half was Duke Street.

I imagine the name changes came about when Leith became part of Edinburgh, what with their already being Duke and Pitt Street in Leith. Anyone know more about that, and better yet, know any more streets which have changed name over the last century or so?

A strange street name change is at the east end of Ferry Road. The row of houses from Largo Place up to South Fort Street, on the south side of Ferry Road, used to be called Bank Place, as witnessed by the name carved into the stonework at the Largo Place end. 

What makes it strange is that the row of houses opposite, from Madeira Street to what is now an old folks home, used to be called Prince Consort Street/Place, again carved into the stonework. 

Also, further west, the garden wall on the corner of Newhaven Road and Ferry Road has the name Ebeneezer Place carved into it. 

I can’t be arsed to research it though. 

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Undersurface heating proving a success on The Mound

20210123_140841.thumb.jpg.61a006a9484c84b07901701db2bd43a9.jpg

I believe it was the only piece of road in Britain to have this.

6 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

A strange street name change is at the east end of Ferry Road. The row of houses from Largo Place up to South Fort Street, on the south side of Ferry Road, used to be called Bank Place, as witnessed by the name carved into the stonework at the Largo Place end. 

What makes it strange is that the row of houses opposite, from Madeira Street to what is now an old folks home, used to be called Prince Consort Street/Place, again carved into the stonework. 

Also, further west, the garden wall on the corner of Newhaven Road and Ferry Road has the name Ebeneezer Place carved into it. 

I can’t be arsed to research it though. 

Always gets me when we have a long road broken into smaller streets, especially when one side of the road is different from the other. Wouldn't it just be easier to have all the numbers continuous like they seem to do in America? 

23 minutes ago, Locky said:

Always gets me when we have a long road broken into smaller streets, especially when one side of the road is different from the other. Wouldn't it just be easier to have all the numbers continuous like they seem to do in America? 

I(t took me a while to understand the block system used in North America but when you do it makes it easy.

8 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I(t took me a while to understand the block system used in North America but when you do it makes it easy.

Yeah I imagine it would. Might make your address a bit more of a mouthful but probably convenient for delivery drivers and the likes.

30 minutes ago, Locky said:

Leith Walk must get you furious then. Loads of different street names along the length of it. I always think the street is Leith Walk but different developments of building were given new names as they were built as the names tend to be just for one block, like Croall Place. 
You’d like Yonge Street in Toronto though, all 35 miles of it. 

Just now, Tazio said:

Leith Walk must get you furious then. Loads of different street names along the length of it. I always think the street is Leith Walk but different developments of building were given new names as they were built as the names tend to be just for one block, like Croall Place. 
You’d like Yonge Street in Toronto though, all 35 miles of it. 

Yeah, it does. I used to live on Elm Row, but the other side of the street was different too. Just confuses me with the numbers. The one that gets me most is just down from Omni. Antigua Street, Union Place, Greenside Place and Baxters Place. 4 seperate streets and each is only a couple of hundred yards long.

35 miles? Jeezo, that's nearly as long as Queensferry Road! I'd love to see what the numbers are at the end.

30 minutes ago, Locky said:

That's got me thinking.  Has Gorgie Road ever been broken into smaller streets?  On the wall beside  the entrance to Tynecastle Garage is a stone engraved 'Newton Terrace' and along a bit, on the wall of above the phone shop on the corner of Newton Street is a stone engraved 'Ross Terrace'.

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

It was a horrible building from EVERY angle

Quite so.

The "I dinnae like ra giant bronze jobby" crowd are forgetting just what it's replacing(!)

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Quite so.

The "I dinnae like ra giant bronze jobby" crowd are forgetting just what it's replacing(!)

I think the new build will be similar to the Scottish Parliament building in that folk will love it or hate it. The old St James (and buildings around it) were just hate. 

The last time I was near St James was over a year ago and I am looking forward to seeing it when it opens. 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I think the new build will be similar to the Scottish Parliament building in that folk will love it or hate it. The old St James (and buildings around it) were just hate. 

The last time I was near St James was over a year ago and I am looking forward to seeing it when it opens. 

I'm looking forward to seeing it too but you're correct, the usual punters that hate money being spent in Scotland will hate it and say it should have been built on the site of the old school for the deaf. 

Carl Fredrickson
11 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm looking forward to seeing it too but you're correct, the usual punters that hate money being spent in Scotland will hate it and say it should have been built on the site of the old school for the deaf. 

A lot of photos on this thread have impressive buildings that were torn down and awful replacements put up. I hope that the new St James will be a place that will stand the test of time and that folk will embrace it. I do though hold the right to change my view if it is honking when it is finished :)

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

A lot of photos on this thread have impressive buildings that were torn down and awful replacements put up. I hope that the new St James will be a place that will stand the test of time and that folk will embrace it. I do though hold the right to change my view if it is honking when it is finished :)

Hopefully it's decent inside too. The Gyle and Waverley Market are depressing shitholes. 

Carl Fredrickson
3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Hopefully it's decent inside too. The Gyle and Waverley Market are depressing shitholes. 

The images I saw it looks quite open with shops on either side of a walkway - but I must admit to only seeing a couple of images. 

My kids are Lego daft so they are excited that there is going to be a Lego shop in it. Saves a drive through to Glasgow. It is near a train station too which will suit us. 

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The images I saw it looks quite open with shops on either side of a walkway - but I must admit to only seeing a couple of images. 

My kids are Lego daft so they are excited that there is going to be a Lego shop in it. Saves a drive through to Glasgow. It is near a train station too which will suit us. 

Never knew there was going to be a lego shop. 😊

Carl Fredrickson
7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Never knew there was going to be a lego shop. 😊

It was in the local press months ago but Lego confirmed it just before Christmas. It will be interesting to look at the images of the old buildings and then compare them to the St James Centre and the new St James Quarter (or whatever it is called). 

Weakened Offender
9 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

It was in the local press months ago but Lego confirmed it just before Christmas. It will be interesting to look at the images of the old buildings and then compare them to the St James Centre and the new St James Quarter (or whatever it is called). 

Certainly will and a Lego shop will bring families in from all over. 👍

Maroon Sailor
27 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

what's the celebration here surely not another Hearts cup parade

Can't think what it is

been here before
35 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can't think what it is

I thought at first it might have been auld JP rocking up in 1982 but its not. The old bus looks 50ish so I wonder if its something like Billy Graham scooting around.

Carl Fredrickson
51 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Surely cant be the queue to see the Spanish Paintings at the gallery? 

As has been said, looks possibly 1950s going by the bus and also the clothes folk are wearing. Interesting that folk are rammed all around the bus all the way up and down the mound. Cant see any police or cordon of any kind. 

Edit I can see a couple of folk on the roof of the first bus. I thought it might have been Stan & Ollie but not sure if they would have been able to climb onto the roof of a bus. 

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

been here before
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210124_071441.jpg

Its the 1951 Gathering of the Clans, part of the Festival of Britain.

36d4e2a34d9e43d77d5793db6139701b.thumb.jpg.e91b2bd73fe348d843bf64a2fc3d2cdf.jpg

Edited by been here before

Maroon Sailor
37 minutes ago, been here before said:

Its the 1951 Gathering of the Clans, part of the Festival of Britain.

36d4e2a34d9e43d77d5793db6139701b.thumb.jpg.e91b2bd73fe348d843bf64a2fc3d2cdf.jpg

Seems to be part of The Festival of Britain 1951

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Deep Sea has been there longer than I thought. This is from 1954

20210124_103236.thumb.jpg.94c21992a6789396cb88434fdeb26039.jpg

The Deep Sea was there all my young life, but funny enough I don't remember ever buying chips there.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, weegranty said:

What street is this?

Somewhere in the Southside. May well have been demolished to make way for the Uni

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Somewhere in the Southside. May well have been demolished to make way for the Uni

It's Lothian Street, near Bristo Square.

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

It's Lothian Street, near Bristo Square.

Cheers

Wouldn't have got that

19 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

That's got me thinking.  Has Gorgie Road ever been broken into smaller streets?  On the wall beside  the entrance to Tynecastle Garage is a stone engraved 'Newton Terrace' and along a bit, on the wall of above the phone shop on the corner of Newton Street is a stone engraved 'Ross Terrace'.

There was a Tynecastle Terrace - around  where the Gorgie Farm is now I think.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210124_150835.jpg

The Corner Bar 2-4 Lothian Street and 3-5-7 Potterow

Photograph of a three storey building looking from the street corner. In the centre of the picture on the ground floor is a pub called The Corner Bar. To the left side is a grocer and confectioner' s and a newsagent. To the right a streetlamp is visible further along the road. Outside the pub a group of two men and five boys face the camera. Outside the newsagent a woman stands.

1 hour ago, maroonblood said:

There was a Tynecastle Terrace - around  where the Gorgie Farm is now I think.

I've just seen that on a map, though can't see any of the others. Interestingly though, Dalry Road from down at Haymarket up to Orwell Terrace seems to at one time to have been made up of Walker Terrace, Lewis Terrace and Caledonian Terrace.

The Real Maroonblood
39 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Is it not the street the Pear tree is in? 

I think your right.

West Nicolson Street.