• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210204_231251.jpg

Craiglockhart Station (now demolished) with George Watson's boathouse on the left.

Governor Tarkin
14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210204_202039.jpg.ffc3a9f9430a0a11baee921768ad4367.jpg

Is that washing hanging up in that wooden structure ?

The view from the roof of that block was Image result for kickback pinilla

The concrete and timber drying green was pretty well used up until the late 80's iirc.

After that it became a football pitch with the doorways as goals at either end. If there was only two of you we would play 'long bangers' (ooh er) at each other.

The wee courtyard bit by the entrance to the block was a total sun-trap.

On summers days in the 70's and 80's at this one (Caerketton Court) and the adjacent block (Allermuir Court) there would often be families sitting out on deck chairs tanning the home brew (usually my old man's). The women having a gossip, kids running about daft. The big ones looking after the wee ones.

14 hours ago, Morgan said:

:wow: That whole scenario looks horrendous.

You couldn't be more wrong, Morgan. It was rough at times but a fantastic place to grow up.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Can anyone tell me when the buildings on the left were demolished ? 

Used to be a school in the later 60's.

Must have made way for Museum extension - demolition 1993/4 thereabouts ? 

1 minute ago, felix said:

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

No litter and no potholes.

Dinnae get me started about potholes :seething: 

Reckon I could win the World Rally Championship now that I've done my apprenticeship driving on Edinburghs roads.

Edited by Cruyff

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The streakers when Capelaw came down was my wee brother and his mates.

I was left standing up by the old swingey with armfuls of clothes

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

No litter and no potholes.

Thats because an old Marshal Street beat man would not allow it. He plodded around that whole picture area for quite a while.

On 04/02/2021 at 08:21, felix said:

Porty High St ; top of Bath St with The Central on the right -later to become The Gl assblower :mw_rolleyes:

My cousin''s son allegedly removed the letters G &L from the pubs sign one dark evening a few years ago.........the cheeky wee scamp!

30 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

My cousin''s son allegedly removed the letters G &L from the pubs sign one dark evening a few years ago.........the cheeky wee scamp!

😀  If he didn't do it, someone else was bound to.

19 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I think the shop on the right (in grey) was a motor cycle repair place - but now it's the haggis place ? McSweens ? 

In my time it was parts supply only and known as "The Suzuki Shop".Round the back in Broughton Place Lane was Reid, Allan and Paterson

44 minutes ago, felix said:

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but I've got a picture in my head of a grass area on the corner of Chambers St/ George IV Bridge, with a path going diagonally across it, from near the old part of the museum in the direction of the grassy triangular thing in the photo. Like I said, maybe it's all in my head. :D 

4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but I've got a picture in my head of a grass area on the corner of Chambers St/ George IV Bridge, with a path going diagonally across it, from near the old part of the museum in the direction of the grassy triangular thing in the photo. Like I said, maybe it's all in my head. :D 

No, I think you're right! That now rings a bell ... just a pleasant garden type walkway through to the crossing in front of the Bedlam Theatre. That must have been probably early 80s I'm guessing, maybe!

Edited by ArcticJambo

19 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

14 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

No, I think you're right! That now rings a bell ... just a pleasant garden type walkway through to the crossing in front of the Bedlam Theatre. That must have been probably early 80s I'm guessing, maybe!

The school / block was there in the 60's - but could well have been demolished before the 90's and the museum extension.

image.png.3db7316f7b402905df2180a6828b0da9.png

wentworth jambo
24 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I was at George Heriots 81-87 and lived in Newhaven, so would walk across that most days to get to and from South Bridge for the old number 7 bus home...

57 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

31 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

I was at George Heriots 81-87 and lived in Newhaven, so would walk across that most days to get to and from South Bridge for the old number 7 bus home...

I'm glad to know I wasn't imagining it. I first moved to Edinburgh in 1981, so it would have been round about then I was thinking of.

Montgomery Brewster
3 hours ago, felix said:

They were long gone before then. I remember going to the museum in the 70’s and it was already a gap site (where the extension is now ) 

Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Your correct 

12 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

They were long gone before then. I remember going to the museum in the 70’s and it was already a gap site (where the extension is now ) 

Cheers. I wish my memory was as good. Remember the goldfish and even the Apollo 11 exhibition in the early '70s , but the end of Chambers Street at that time's a blur   :thumbsup:

Anybody remember the Xmas holidays drawing/painting competition the Museum used to host.  Not sure about painting tbqh as I'm not sure they'd trust kids with paint in there but there used to be age classes and then they're display the winners and runners up and 3rds, etc.  Used to enjoy those days in there.

Ohh, forgot to mention that after a Google search I found a map called 'The Russian Map, 1983' that showed a 'gap' site in the shape of a square with a squashed half moon at the Museum end.

Edited by ArcticJambo
not bristo place end but museum end

8 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Harrison Park 1960

55D7633E-552B-4D96-81D1-EFB39B048A9F.jpeg

I never get to post anything as you follow the same social media feeds as me and are a lot quicker off the mark 😀

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I never get to post anything as you follow the same social media feeds as me and are a lot quicker off the mark 😀

Is that where the old football pitches used to be, for some reason I seem to recall them being ashes or some other surface.

joondalupjambo
13 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Flora Stevenson's school ? 

Nope defo not that.  It looks like the Marchmont but I am not sure what schools are in that area?  Gillespies?  Bruntsfield?  

Edited by joondalupjambo

joondalupjambo

I know this is mainly Edinburgh photos in here but just watched Restless Natives on BBC Iplayer, you will find it in the A to Z listing.  It was filmed mainly in Edinburgh but with some scenes from Glencoe and Fife.  Dates to 1985 and has masses of memories for us Edinburgh folk who grew up remembering that decade.

Looks like it starts in Wester Hailes, loads of Princess Street and New Town locations, bits of the Old Town, High Street, the Forth Road Bridge and filled with things from back in the day like adverts, transportation, eats etc.  Also set in a joke shop called Hardwick's I think and recall that being mentioned on this site recently.  Glencoe is the scene for the robberies and the cliffs above Earlsferry, near Elie in Fife for the "death" scene. The musical score throughout is by Big Country.

Some great old actors appear.  Nanette Newman in a 30 second camo right at the start.  Robert Urquhart a great Scottish actor who was born in Ullapool and went to Heriot's in Edinburgh.  He made it in Hollywood but ran a hotel in Ullapool in between acting gigs, his son still owns and runs the same hotel today.  Then there is Ned Beatty, another big Hollywood star and whose performance in Deliverance icannot be forgotten.

Following on what others have said on this thread when watching it you can almost feel being there, in the era and walking the street as a young man.  Well worth a look and although not a wider hit a wee gem of a Scottish film.

If anyone watches it they do use a bus station in one of the scenes, pretty sure it was in Edinburgh but not 100%.  Let me know if true or not would you please.

23 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Nope defo not that.  It looks like the Marchmont but I am not sure what schools are in that area?  Gillespies?  Bruntsfield?  

Spottiswoode St, Arden Street, Marchmont Rd and Marchmont Crescent. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

I know this is mainly Edinburgh photos in here but just watched Restless Natives on BBC Iplayer, you will find it in the A to Z listing.  It was filmed mainly in Edinburgh but with some scenes from Glencoe and Fife.  Dates to 1985 and has masses of memories for us Edinburgh folk who grew up remembering that decade.

Looks like it starts in Wester Hailes, loads of Princess Street and New Town locations, bits of the Old Town, High Street, the Forth Road Bridge and filled with things from back in the day like adverts, transportation, eats etc.  Also set in a joke shop called Hardwick's I think and recall that being mentioned on this site recently.  Glencoe is the scene for the robberies and the cliffs above Earlsferry, near Elie in Fife for the "death" scene. The musical score throughout is by Big Country.

Some great old actors appear.  Nanette Newman in a 30 second camo right at the start.  Robert Urquhart a great Scottish actor who was born in Ullapool and went to Heriot's in Edinburgh.  He made it in Hollywood but ran a hotel in Ullapool in between acting gigs, his son still owns and runs the same hotel today.  Then there is Ned Beatty, another big Hollywood star and whose performance in Deliverance icannot be forgotten.

Following on what others have said on this thread when watching it you can almost feel being there, in the era and walking the street as a young man.  Well worth a look and although not a wider hit a wee gem of a Scottish film.

If anyone watches it they do use a bus station in one of the scenes, pretty sure it was in Edinburgh but not 100%.  Let me know if true or not would you please.

A favourite film of mine. I have loads of 1980s Scottish films on DVD and love revisiting them from time to time.

Re the bus station, pre-internet days a friend of mine told me it was in Glasgow and this site states that too http://rewoundandfound.com/restless-natives/

If memory serves me right my pal said it was Anderton bus station

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Posted some scenes of the film on this thread towards the end of last year.

The bus station is in Glasgow but made out to be Edinburgh for the purpose of the film

35 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210206_220646.jpg

I’m always intrigued to think what the Bristo Street / George Square area looked like before the university developed it.

Montgomery Brewster
23 minutes ago, Ally Bee said:

I’m always intrigued to think what the Bristo Street / George Square area looked like before the university developed it.

👍🏻

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210206_220621.jpg

Another great pic. This actually captures the thread from a few pages back when folk were asking when the gap site appeared / were the museum extension is.  Deffo looks 70’s