Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

2 hours ago, felix said:

Haha.Larry Marshall - star of Jamies Scottish Evening - a tartan cabaret for tourists that ran for about 19 years !! 

Wasn't the bar the  Boston Bean Co ?? - Half decent iirc

Those tartan tourist nights were big business. I used to occasionally cover for the guy that did the sound and lights for the one at the George Hotel. £100 a night and free dinner was very nice in the early 90’s for 3 hours work. 

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

It was definitely on the right hand side as you entered from Princes/Leith Street. 

What were the other bars in the place called? Was there not one like 'Top of the Walk' or something and maybe Sinatra's? Seem to recall there was one upstairs when you first went in?

The Spot was there.

Paddy Crossan
32 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

The Spot was there.

I think you are right with 'The Spot'.  I forget the name of the other bar up the top (it might have been mentioned on here before) but I used to go to the grab a grannie night on a Thursday. I also used to frequent the 2 pubs in the bus station, one was managed by a certain Andy Bowman.

Paddy Crossan
Just now, Paddy Crossan said:

I think you are right with 'The Spot'.  I forget the name of the other bar up the top (it might have been mentioned on here before) but I used to go to the grab a grannie night on a Thursday. I also used to frequent the 2 pubs in the bus station, one was managed by a certain Andy Bowman.

As another poster said I think the other bar was "top of the walk"

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

I'm 100% right, I used to do the empty bottles on a Saturday night during the summer hols. My mates old man managed it mid 70s.

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is that Meadowbank? A previous photo showed two stadiums, I imagine this is one of them 

Must be I would think with the proximity of hills in the background.

1 hour ago, Paddy Crossan said:

The Traveller's Tryst and The Highwayman. Spent many of my under age drinking years in those 2 bars, Andy had The Traveller's Tryst.

Maroon Sailor
58 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is that Meadowbank? A previous photo showed two stadiums, I imagine this is one of them 

It's Meadowbank 

Would liked to have seen the speedway stadium

11 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I remember when the St James Centre went up and all the outcry from the grown-ups about how hideous it was. I'd have been somewhere around 5-7 when it was opened and was intrigued and excited to see all these shops inside the one place. The adults were right, though; it was hideous. 

God, I feel old, knowing that I outlived it! :D 

Me too. My dad was a barman in one of the bars of the King James Hotel.

Carl Fredrickson
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's Meadowbank 

Would liked to have seen the speedway stadium

Cheers. I used to work in that area and like to see what it used to be like. I havent been in the area for over a year so again, like the St James, would like to see how the development is progressing. 

I was unaware of the two stadiums next to each other until quite recently when I saw the photo posted on here. 

This thread also educated me on the barracks at Piershill. I love this thread

joondalupjambo
On 31/01/2021 at 14:01, Maroon Sailor said:

20210131_140106.jpg

Straight away recognised it as being in Stockbridge because of the bridge and then dug a bit, it is India Place.

Seymour M Hersh
On 01/02/2021 at 12:34, felix said:

Haha.Larry Marshall - star of Jamies Scottish Evening - a tartan cabaret for tourists that ran for about 19 years !! 

Wasn't the bar the  Boston Bean Co ?? - Half decent iirc

I used to go to the Boston Bean Co fairly regularly. Did a decent clam chowder back in the day. 

Maroon Sailor
8 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers. I used to work in that area and like to see what it used to be like. I havent been in the area for over a year so again, like the St James, would like to see how the development is progressing. 

I was unaware of the two stadiums next to each other until quite recently when I saw the photo posted on here. 

This thread also educated me on the barracks at Piershill. I love this thread

I'm the same I've leant lots of things about Edinburgh on here

Some good memories from people

Maroon Sailor
44 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Is that the top of leith walk at broughton street ? 

I think it is - but it just looks so different now. Not sure what that is in the middle of the street (public toilets ?)

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think it is - but it just looks so different now. Not sure what that is in the middle of the street (public toilets ?)

Yeah that's what it looks like, but I can't honestly remember toilets/building being there. What date was the pic taken?

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Is that the top of leith walk at broughton street ? 

It’s just along a bit from

there .

immediately above the toilets is the playhouse (slightly to the left) and the old church which is now part of the Omni centre . That will give you a better understanding.

all the houses on the left are gone and most of them on the right are obviously away as well.

the furthest bus on the left is turning out of where that daft roundabout is now and heading down leith walk.

Maroon Sailor
28 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Yeah that's what it looks like, but I can't honestly remember toilets/building being there. What date was the pic taken?

Late 50's / 60s as the tram tracks have gone

35 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

29 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

10 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

It’s just along a bit from

there .

immediately above the toilets is the playhouse (slightly to the left) and the old church which is now part of the Omni centre . That will give you a better understanding.

all the houses on the left are gone and most of them on the right are obviously away as well.

the furthest bus on the left is turning out of where that daft roundabout is now and heading down leith walk.

I could get the playhouse but I can’t remember the toilets , I can remember the strange neon thing that used to be there but certainly not the toilets . 
The car in the foreground looks like it’s on the wrong side of the road 

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Picture was taken where the star icon is.

Untitled.jpg

100% sure ? That doesn’t look like the right angle to have been taken from there , I thought it more York Pl 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

100% sure ? That doesn’t look like the right angle to have been taken from there , I thought it more York Pl 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yep, public lavs on the right, buildings on the left, looking straight down towards Leopold Place, the car in the foreground is going up the road to St James Sq 

59 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I could get the playhouse but I can’t remember the toilets , I can remember the strange neon thing that used to be there but certainly not the toilets . 
The car in the foreground looks like it’s on the wrong side of the road 

I looked at the cars also there are two that had me wondering the one you mention and the one straight down the hill behind it. One of them is surely wrong.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Yep, public lavs on the right, buildings on the left, looking straight down towards Leopold Place, the car in the foreground is going up the road to St James Sq 

I bow to your knowledge ( but can I reserve the right to have a wee doubt ?) 😀

39 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I looked at the cars also there are two that had me wondering the one you mention and the one straight down the hill behind it. One of them is surely wrong.

It was the first thing I noticed 😂😂

how you keeping Bob ? Hope you and your laddie are staying safe and well 

15 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

It was the first thing I noticed 😂😂

how you keeping Bob ? Hope you and your laddie are staying safe and well 

Yes both doing well, our hokey team Canucks just like Hearts, some good some bad, seem to have got the computer problems fixed, I had sent a couple of e mails, had a good idea they weren't being sent, and I for once was right.  The son is a Covid victim, healthy but unemployed, his company took the opportunity to lay off staff because their work place had already been emptied for Covid. Its been a cruel cruel year for everyone, some worse than others.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Anyone know this street?

20210202_193516.jpg.7c9f2ce35b240204f6f0181cfca7748e.jpg

st-mary.jpg

It was suggested on the edinphoto site that it was 81-85 St Mary's Street. It looks like it to me. It would have been at the bottom, where the hotel is.

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

It was suggested on the edinphoto site that it was 81-85 St Mary's Street. It looks like it to me. It would have been at the bottom, where the hotel is.

👍

Was trying to think what the green doors behind the van could be

been here before
32 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

👍

Was trying to think what the green doors behind the van could be

No idea but I bet theres folk behind it playing an old piano and playing it hot.

Probably laughing a lot too.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210202_181848.jpg

Bonnington South Junction, en route from Citadel having passed under the former Caley New Lines - I think. The trackbed a bit further back is now a cycle path.

On 31/01/2021 at 16:12, ArcticJambo said:

Aye that's the place but even I've been in there (wasn't my cuppa if I'm being honest), unless it has always been called that as far back as the sixties. Hoping Stuart might be able to offer up some previous names. 👍

Was the Star Tavern in the 1960's & 70s and before that was called the Northumberland Bar

49 minutes ago, ginga said:

Was the Star Tavern in the 1960's & 70s and before that was called the Northumberland Bar

Nice one, thanks.