Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

22 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I believe he did but for the life of me can’t remember the name of it?

Misties (on the Mound) ?

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Any official source/link to/for more info on this one? Interested about the date.

Just before work started on the North British Hotel, which of course is now the Bamoral.

8 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Misties (on the Mound) ?

I think it was Misty on the Mound?

Good memory from you however.  👍

4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

PC brigade would have a fit over that caption these days. 

😂 Too true! 

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, indianajones said:

PC brigade would have a fit over that caption these days. 

JKB is like that at times.

10 hours ago, Morgan said:

I don't have a photo but I have this!

Mistys on the Mound.png

13 hours ago, Morgan said:

Spelling never my strong point.

On 20/01/2021 at 07:31, parisjambo said:

Was it not called Misty's on the Mound at one time before Oblomov?

Oblomov was my first venture into a wine/bohemian type bar in 1990 when I lived in Spottiswoode St. Holy ****, it was full of pretentious w******.

On 19/01/2021 at 16:51, been here before said:

There was a boozer there calked Oblomov for a while 1990ish.

Legendary techno night Pure started at Oblomov before moving to The Venue.

On 19/01/2021 at 16:51, been here before said:

There was a boozer there calked Oblomov for a while 1990ish.

Legendary techno night Pure started at Oblomov before moving to The Venue.

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, JWL said:

Wester Hailes?

Yes

That's the Wester Hailes shopping centre (Westside Plaza now)

All 3 roundabouts in the photo have gone  

11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210121_210721.jpg

Going west out the South Sub, now Platforms 8 and 9, which are split into 8E(East) and 8W(West) and the same for 9.

been here before
10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yes

That's the Wester Hailes shopping centre (Westside Plaza now)

All 3 roundabouts in the photo have gone  

Theres still one in front of what used to be the Shell (I think) garage. Just one of those wee white painted jobs.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Theres still one in front of what used to be the Shell (I think) garage. Just one of those wee white painted jobs.

True - There's a wee mini roundabout there, top of Murrayburn Road

Think that was a taxi rank in a crescent type thing in front of the pub as well (above and to the right of the oval shaped bus stops one)

image.png.762c069608b3b003674c2e26cc95dea6.png

Edited by Maroon Sailor

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

True - There's a wee mini roundabout there, top of Murrayburn Road

Think that was a taxi rank in a crescent type thing in front of the pub as well (above and to the right of the oval shaped bus stops one)

image.png.762c069608b3b003674c2e26cc95dea6.png

Zooming right in.  That must have been handy for signing on at the DHSS building on the left.

taxis.jpg

Apologies if this has been covered previously, but the Clarks Pub thread on The Terrace led to me pulling up a map of Edinburgh from 1880. Was quite fascinated to see a couple of streets which have changed name over the years.

Namely, Dundas Street only ran from Heriot Row, down to Great King Street, and was called Pitt Street down Henderson Row. Also, Dublin Street only ran from Drummon Place, to the junction of Abercromby/Albany, and the top half was Duke Street.

I imagine the name changes came about when Leith became part of Edinburgh, what with their already being Duke and Pitt Street in Leith. Anyone know more about that, and better yet, know any more streets which have changed name over the last century or so?

11 minutes ago, Locky said:

Apologies if this has been covered previously, but the Clarks Pub thread on The Terrace led to me pulling up a map of Edinburgh from 1880. Was quite fascinated to see a couple of streets which have changed name over the years.

Namely, Dundas Street only ran from Heriot Row, down to Great King Street, and was called Pitt Street down Henderson Row. Also, Dublin Street only ran from Drummon Place, to the junction of Abercromby/Albany, and the top half was Duke Street.

I imagine the name changes came about when Leith became part of Edinburgh, what with their already being Duke and Pitt Street in Leith. Anyone know more about that, and better yet, know any more streets which have changed name over the last century or so?

This wiki page has a fair few.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Edinburgh_street_names

Old Leithers and Newhaven folk still refer to Pitt Street as Pitt Street Leith. Lots of street name quirks in Leith, like you’ll rarely hear a local talk about Great Junction Street instead just calling it Junction Street, old folk will also call Junction Place Fire Brigade Street. Also Admirality Street is always pronounced wrongly as is Breadalbane Street which is pronounced phonetically instead of the correct french pronunciation.

Edited by Tazio

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Always wondered why Mortonhall Tennis club is nowhere near Mortonhall

Or why Royal High primary school and high school are 6 miles apart. 

Governor Tarkin
25 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Breadalbane Street which is pronounced phonetically instead of the correct french pronunciation.

The internet tells me it is derived from Jock Gaelic. :(

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The internet tells me it is derived from Jock Gaelic. :(

I’m now up to 3;different pronunciations for it. 
Bread-all-bané pretentious french way of saying it.

Bread-all-binn probably the proper version 

Bread-al-bane weird old Leither version

Strangely never realised it was Scottish in roots, I’d always assumed it was some sort of name picked up when Britain were randomly charging around battering foreigners. 

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Pitt St was renamed in the 60s - I don't know why,  but I remember it as Pitt St when I was a youngster in the 60s. This was pre-postcode days , so maybe there was too much confusion with Leith. 

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Pitt St was renamed in the 60s - I don't know why,  but I remember it as Pitt St when I was a youngster in the 60s. This was pre-postcode days , so maybe there was too much confusion with Leith. 

3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

They were originally only a mile apart.

I know, just seems a bit odd to keep the same name when there’s no link between them now. 

5 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Cheers NJ. I saw on Wikipedia that it was changed due to the Leith inclusion, but no sign as to when. I imagine rather than re-naming the full street in Leith, it was easier to just continue the name Dundas Street.