The Beast from the East

Swanny17

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

another walk for me then:smile:

Too far for it to be worth me walking. I can work from home quite easily. However, the reality is, with a hyper 4 year old, I’ll spend most of the day fannying around in the garden with him :smile:...then hours catching up on work tonight :mellow:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

This is not good. I wonder what has to happen to get buses back up and running?

What exactly is the problem? Is it the main roads? Side streets? It’s clearly not a lack of drivers.  Current and expected weather conditions? Combination of all?

Bit of a rant but MIL is seriously ill at the WG and we can’t get in to see her.

This didn’t happen in 2010 so why the difference?

Also, where do you live? Can you walk to tram route, then down to WG from the west end? 

After being sent home from work yesterday, all my trains are cancelled for today. To think I got up at 5:50 this morning. Got another brew on  now and I will be phoning the office at 8.00 to say I wont be in . Woohoo time to read through the last movie you watched thread for a day in front of the box. :2thumbsup: 

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, Peebo said:

I lived abroad in 2010 - came home at a Christmas (after many delays) and snow was bad throughout (my dad had to help dig the taxi out when I was heading to airport to leave) - and I’ve never seen anything like this.

The snow where I am is unrelenting. I think main roads (eg Lanark Road) are being cleared, but many others just covered in layers of snow. I suspect it’s just a symptom of ongoing horrible conditions, and the limit to number of drivers able to get in to drive the buses. Also, cancelling the buses will encourage people to stay at home...which is, of course, unhelpful for people who need to travel, like yourself. 

Yeah I still remember 2010 and it was like a disaster movie. Remember piles of snow 5 feet high that took weeks to shift.

We’re up at Swanston just now so similar picture to you in terms of location.

I’m 100% supportive of the decisions being taken but still confused as to why we’re still in this situation. I just can’t remember buses being cancelled to this extent.

Like others, haven’t seen a plough or gritter in our street since this started and appreciate they’re elsewhere working on priority routes.

Spent yesterday with others, digging out a track to the main road, got the car out on to Oxgangs Road expecting it to be relatively clear and found carnage.

With little or no traffic on the road, what do the Council need to do to get us back up and running?

What gets me is.. why the feck do some people spend a fair bit on a big fudge off 4x4 but cant drive them. I watched one driver struggle to get to the top of the hill I live on. But tbf it could be down to inexperience. But still...

Harry Potter
8 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Too far for it to be worth me walking. I can work from home quite easily. However, the reality is, with a hyper 4 year old, I’ll spend most of the day fannying around in the garden with him :smile:...then hours catching up on work tonight :mellow:

Im only a mile bud in saying that its all up hill (drumbrae) and i fell once yesterday:sad:coming home, 

4 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yeah I still remember 2010 and it was like a disaster movie. Remember piles of snow 5 feet high that took weeks to shift.

We’re up at Swanston just now so similar picture to you in terms of location.

I’m 100% supportive of the decisions being taken but still confused as to why we’re still in this situation. I just can’t remember buses being cancelled to this extent.

Like others, haven’t seen a plough or gritter in our street since this started and appreciate they’re elsewhere working on priority routes.

Spent yesterday with others, digging out a track to the main road, got the car out on to Oxgangs Road expecting it to be relatively clear and found carnage.

With little or no traffic on the road, what do the Council need to do to get us back up and running?

Plough and gritter apparently out in my area. Didn’t see anything yesterday. I suspect they probably struggled to do much like that, as it may have been hard for staff to get in. Should get up and running a bit today, I think. As I said, I’ve never seen anything like he volume of snow we’ve had here over the last 48 hours. 

Dagger Is Back
5 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Also, where do you live? Can you walk to tram route, then down to WG from the west end? 

Currentky temporarily in Swanston. If we were at our own house in Baberton we’d be doing that.

We have friends with a 4x4 who will take us in if they can dig themselves out.

We had a wee girl here night before last who had to get to hospital in an emergency. Ambulance couldn’t get close. Luckily, someone with a 4x4 was able to do so. Now that the track is cleared will be easier for folks to get out but not much point if the main routes are goosed.

Exceptional weather conditions or a poor response I don’t know.

4 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Currentky temporarily in Swanston. If we were at our own house in Baberton we’d be doing that.

We have friends with a 4x4 who will take us in if they can dig themselves out.

We had a wee girl here night before last who had to get to hospital in an emergency. Ambulance couldn’t get close. Luckily, someone with a 4x4 was able to do so. Now that the track is cleared will be easier for folks to get out but not much point if the main routes are goosed.

Exceptional weather conditions or a poor response I don’t know.

Probably both. This weather was forecast days in advance. I suspect no one really took it seriously. 

13 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Flow usually drops with combo boilers from memory. However, if no water coming out suggest a frozen pipe between and boiler.

If so keep heating on 24/7 as you should in this weather anyway. 

If water if flowing but not heating try try leaving water running at low flow. However, I suspect it’s the former from the right wing troll deeside ;-)

@deesidejambo @Lord BJ just to say my hot water is working again. Pipe must have thawed overnight.

Todays challenge is getting to a shop for supplies.

Harry Potter
7 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

The amount of idiots on the roads today/tonight....don't you have internet?

I nipped to my local corner shop at 7:45am, three people in the bus stop...I knew I was off so said "haven't you checked, buses are off", got the look I was the devil? Even called a cheeky tit, the time schedule thing also said buses suspended....and I'm the *****, hope you freeze mother****ers ?

People coming in to the garage for papers , theres none, WHY, the main distribution depot is closed WHY the people could not make it to work, will there

be papers the morra, you would think the world shuts due to lack of papers, unreal.

Harry Potter
5 minutes ago, Boris said:

@deesidejambo @Lord BJ just to say my hot water is working again. Pipe must have thawed overnight.

Todays challenge is getting to a shop for supplies.

Boris hope that they have supplies, 

28 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Im only a mile bud in saying that its all up hill (drumbrae) and i fell once yesterday:sad:coming home, 

Clermiston Rd? That gets fecking treacherous in severe weather. Lived that way once myself. 

Woman on Facebook has been going on and on about buses since yesterday.

”Are the buses on yet?”

”No, keep checking the hourly updates on Twitter”

”But I checked the bus tracker and times are still showing up on it”

”The buses are all suspended until further notice”

”are you sure?”

”positive, check for yourself on the Lothian buses twitter page”

“Ok”

<skip forward one hour>

”Are the buses on yet?”

”No, still suspended. I told you to keep checking the hourly updates on Twitter”

”But the bus tracker still has the times showing up”

I’ve given up with her.

Riddley Walker
3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Woman on Facebook has been going on and on about buses since yesterday.

”Are the buses on yet?”

”No, keep checking the hourly updates on Twitter”

”But I checked the bus tracker and times are still showing up on it”

”The buses are all suspended until further notice”

”are you sure?”

”positive, check for yourself on the Lothian buses twitter page”

“Ok”

<skip forward one hour>

”Are the buses on yet?”

”No, still suspended. I told you to keep checking the hourly updates on Twitter”

”But the bus tracker still has the times showing up”

I’ve given up with her.

The amount of idiots tweeting Lothian Buses and Scotrail with questions they've answered a million times is unreal.

Scotrail: "There will be NO trains running in the amber area in the morning."

Simple Man 1: "Can you just confirm if the Glasgow-Livingston 915 will run?"

I've decided they are just attention-seekers who enjoy a wee reply notification popping up on their phone.

Is it just me, and it probably is, that despite god  knows what that car driver was doing and on the face of it wonderful driving skills by the Lothian Bus driver, she was also going far too fast for the conditions.  

My old boy was meant to have an examination at Dumfries infirmary from 8 this morning.  If he decided to take a general anaesthetic he needs to be observed at home for 24 hours. I was going to pick up a hire car at 6 last night at Newbridge and then drive to Castle Douglas.  Looked at forecast and thought maybe better to leave about 5am this morning.

He phoned me yesterday afternoon to say he had cancelled the appt, which as long as he can be rescheduled in decent time (It's an annual check up rather than something critical), it was probably for the best.  

Trying to get to Newbridge itself would have been bad enough as the weather hadn't improved by 1 as the forecast said, let alone the folly of trying to get to Castle Douglas where he stays.

Had the offer of cancelling the days holiday I'd booked and even though it will cost me as self employed, feck it.  Office still closed, hate working from home and had my mind set on being off anyway.

Just need to find a decent box set to watch.

5 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

The amount of idiots tweeting Lothian Buses and Scotrail with questions they've answered a million times is unreal.

I've decided they are just attention-seekers who enjoy a wee reply notification popping up on their phone.

I’d end up losing the rag with them.

The Real Maroonblood
39 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Probably both. This weather was forecast days in advance. I suspect no one really took it seriously. 

You are spot on.

Edinburgh Council couldn't run a bath.

gashauskis9

About time some of these employers who are still requesting their staff brave the elements are named, shamed and fined.  If the government says no, the answer should be no whether we like it or not.  Only staff who should be expected to travel in this are the emergency services.

William H. Bonney

female bus driver from Lothian transport who performed that manoeuvre yesterday on good morning Britain in a couple of minutes. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Some info for anybody in the Borders or are trying to get to or from the Borders.

Heavy snowfall affects Borders

Latest update - 6am Friday 2 March

Police Scotland is urging people not to travel.

Road conditions right across the region are extremely hazardous, including A roads. Minor and rural routes will be impassable.

Road closures we are aware of - please note many more routes will be closed:

• A68 at Carter Bar
  • A1 southbound south of Berwick
  • A701 closed at Devil's Beef Tub
  • A72 Blyth Bridge to Skirling
  • A698 Kelso to Jedburgh (at Heiton)
  • B6364 Kelso to Greenlaw
  • A6089 Gordon to Kelso
  • B6397 Charterhouse to Smailholm
  • A697 Carfraemill to Greenlaw
  • B6438 Reston to Coldingham
  • A1107 Tower Farm, Coldingham
  • C94 Coldstream to Duns
  • B6437 Auchencrow to Chirnside
  • C98 Longformacus/Cranshaws
  • B6355 Chirnside to Ayton
  • A6105 Greenlaw to Gordon
  • B6460/B6437 Allanton to Whitsome
  • A6105 Duns to Chirnside
  • A6112 Duns to Grantshouse
  • B6461 at Fishwick
  • B6461 at Swinton to Orange Lane

https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/info/20008/emergencies_and_safety/678/severe_weather_update

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

female bus driver from Lothian transport who performed that manoeuvre yesterday on good morning Britain in a couple of minutes. 

Thanks for that. 

Great interview.

36 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

LRT bus services are brilliant.Compared to other regions they are miles ahead if they could get buses on they would.

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

Was a decent save but she was actually driving far too fast in the conditions.. Doing the limit in these conditions absolute madness

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Was a decent save but she was actually driving far too fast in the conditions.. Doing the limit in these conditions absolute madness

Get in touch with LB and complain about it.

Maybe a sackable offence.

William H. Bonney
15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

women drivers eh! 

Nucky Thompson

Thursday was the only bad day in Edinburgh. Schools could have been open on Wednesday and Today.

Lothian buses really should get their finger out and get the buses running again, even just sticking to main roads.

Riddley Walker

The roads are are much worse out in Musselburgh than they were at the same time yesterday. No way schools etc. could be open today.

The Internet
13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Thursday was the only bad day in Edinburgh. Schools could have been open on Wednesday and Today.

Lothian buses really should get their finger out and get the buses running again, even just sticking to main roads.

:lol:

Nucky Thompson
54 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

About time some of these employers who are still requesting their staff brave the elements are named, shamed and fined.  If the government says no, the answer should be no whether we like it or not.  Only staff who should be expected to travel in this are the emergency services.

What a load of pish. I'd bet there are thousands of people out there looking for a job who would easily get into work given the chance

12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I don't get how all the routes are off.  Can't they clear main routes and get special service buses running to the safe extents?

They have got the airport 100 bus running yet no 26 or 31 which share large chunks of the airport route.  Surely running buses to Ocean Terminal is possible also via the city centre?

This is worse than the service we had in 2010 and the council needs to answer some questions.

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

A lot of the drivers probably stay out in Midlothian or other parts where getting out of these small roads is bad.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

:lol:

I know mate, laughable that the country cams to a standstill. Every other country in mainland Europe would be going about their business normally

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I don't get how all the routes are off.  Can't they clear main routes and get special service buses running to the safe extents?

They have got the airport 100 bus running yet no 26 or 31 which share large chunks of the airport route.  Surely running buses to Ocean Terminal is possible also via the city centre?

Honestly why would LRT not want them on if they could get them on.They would be making a nice wee fortune every bus would be full

5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Honestly why would LRT not want them on if they could get them on.They would be making a nice wee fortune every bus would be full

I just can't understand why NONE are on after 2 days - it isn't too much to expect some to run.

It just seems to be a case of all or nothing and the public are the ones suffering.

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

A lot of the drivers probably stay out in Midlothian or other parts where getting out of these small roads is bad.

On their website they are telling their drivers not to come in until told otherwise. I think they should be calling them in now

Just now, frankblack said:

I just can't understand why NONE are on - it isn't too much to expect some to run.

It just seems to be a case of all or nothing and the public are the ones suffering.

My wife is stuck up the town just now.Was at a conference was only meant to stay the Thursday but has been stuck there since Wednesday believe me a 26 running would be great

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

On their website they are telling their drivers not to come in until told otherwise. I think they should be calling them in now

To be honest I don't know what it's like in Edinburgh ,outside my window in East Lothian the main road looks alright if driven carefully.My wife has said Edinburgh isn't to bad right now but that she has been told East Lothian is a nightmare.

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

To be honest I don't know what it's like in Edinburgh ,outside my window in East Lothian the main road looks alright if driven carefully.My wife has said Edinburgh isn't to bad right now but that she has been told East Lothian is a nightmare.

Have a look on traffic Scotland live cams. All the routes around Edinburgh and the M8 AND M9 are clear with no traffic on them.

The government have struck the fear of God into people. They should release another statement saying it's now ok.

There is very little snow now forecast. Time to get the country moving again

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Have a look on traffic Scotland live cams. All the routes around Edinburgh and the M8 AND M9 are clear with no traffic on them.

The government have struck the fear of God into people. They should release another statement saying it's now ok.

While the side roads are unploughed people will have to rely on public transport.  It would be nice if we had some running.  I don't expect to get in my car until sometime next week.

Carl Fredrickson

I live in a cul de sac and have been indoors since Tuesday (apart from clearing paths each day)

Over a foot of snow has fell and now it is starting to drift.

I woke during the night for a pee (grateful for indoor loos) and noticed that a snowplough appears to have been in my street. Woohoo. Unsure if we can get the cars our yet but willing to dig the car out and see. 

At the stage of checking what food and drink I have and planning the rest of today with what I have. Hope to venture out to a shop tomorrow but fear empty shelves. 

I assume that deliveries to shops will start at some point today but i think it may be a couple of days before things get back to any kind of normality. 

gashauskis9
23 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What a load of pish. I'd bet there are thousands of people out there looking for a job who would easily get into work given the chance

I’m sure they could, but they’re risking other lives as well as their own.  Why have warnings if they’re to be ignored?

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I think they will be on about 10 or 11am snow showers due to come back at 4pm down here but from 12 until 4 none are due.

As others have said though just cause it isn't snowing doesn't mean the problems go away.

3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I think they will be on about 10 or 11am snow showers due to come back at 4pm down here but from 12 until 4 none are due.

I’d be surprised if lothian buses are back on before this afternoon at the earliest. Their staff are all sitting at home so would need to make there way to work before any service could resume. 

45 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I know mate, laughable that the country cams to a standstill. Every other country in mainland Europe would be going about their business normally

Nope - much of mainland Europe also struggling with the conditions.

Main roads are fine. Went from corstorphine to Waverley station car park then up to the dome without any problems

John Findlay

West Granton Road at 09.45 this morning. As you can see road is usable in both directions.

20180302_094458.jpg

20180302_094447.jpg

I’m certainly not qualified to make any decisions about whether or not the buses can run, but I’m going to assume that there’s other factors to take into consideration other than just the state of the roads.

First time in the 3 years of owning a 4x4 that I've actually had any benefit from it. Once dug out, it was actually fun driving about. That's the point of them then! Mine just does the school run and supermarket stuff in town.

Archived