The Beast from the East

Swanny17

Anyone tried to get down the A1 towards Berwick recently?

Is it closed?  Seeing contrasting things online!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Amazing the number of people who don't seem to own a proper warm coat and sensible shoes for any weather less than perfect. 

Spoiler

We have a call centre on one of the floors at our work. Half an hour before we all got sent home on Wednesady saw 2 guys getting into the lift.

Grey 'terry towelling' trackie bottoms, no socks and low cut 'plimsoles'.

Of course they may have dressed down for comfort working environment and were prepared with a change of clothes for a walk in the snow.

In Morrison's at Crewe Toll this morning and you'd think the end of the world was due. Limited amounts of bread and milk, yet people were buying multiple loafs and cartons of milk. 

Folk were even forgetting how to queue properly, it was mayhem.

51 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Ireland have shat it like the UK.

The links say nothing about Europe not coping.

Show me a link from France, Germany or Holland about their infrastructure shutting down.

You'll find plenty of links about Europeans over here who don't understand the fuss

The UK bore the brunt of this unusual weather system.

The fuss! You've done plenty.:th_Rage2:

Dagger Is Back
20 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

We have a call centre on one of the floors at our work. Half an hour before we all got sent home on Wednesady saw 2 guys getting into the lift.

Grey 'terry towelling' trackie bottoms, no socks and low cut 'plimsoles'.

Of course they may have dressed down for comfort working environment and were prepared with a change of clothes for a walk in the snow.

Anyone who doesn't wear socks (unless on holiday abroad) and low cut plimsoles deserves to be ridiculed endlessly

39 minutes ago, pablo said:

Ha! I was going to work. I've had a whole floor of the office to myself today.

Id be tempted to set up goals at one end and make a football out of rolled up paper.

20 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Anyone who doesn't wear socks (unless on holiday abroad) and low cut plimsoles deserves to be ridiculed endlessly

Aye mate,

Early 20s, about 6.2 each though

Made sure I was well out of earshot before saying

'Couple o' ******s'

Don't get me started on the nick of some of the visible tattoos.  And with all due respect to the youngsters on not great call centre wages, some of the project management folks in our team arent much better.

Sure we'd still be in our 20s when 'appearance' was still part of our appraisals.

That said apart from interviews and day 1 on the job, my suit and tie has been jacked by day 2 for a good 10+ years.

Times changing and I've morphed in to a miserable old git long before it is time to.

19 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The UK bore the brunt of this unusual weather system.

The fuss! You've done plenty.:th_Rage2:

Nucky’s rantings are quite amusing. Continually proven wrong but still going. 

25m0a1.jpg

PeterintheRain
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Amazing the number of people who don't seem to own a proper warm coat and sensible shoes for any weather less than perfect. 

Boots instead of shoes.   And maybe some of those slip on spikes for when it gets iced up.   Given that nobody wears tackety boots anymore. 

PeterintheRain
19 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

As you should. We don't come even close to appreciating what they do 'til the unfortunate day we find ourselves needing them. Paid sweeties and these days patronizingly called heroes, along with firemen, cops and a host of other essential service workers. If they are "heroes" then pay them in line with the title. :mad:

Or am I being both cynical and naive? 

Naive.  Every nurse in Scotland is in the top 50% of earners.  They just have better PR than bankers.

PeterintheRain
On 3/1/2018 at 00:34, tian447 said:

Instead of telling me to shut the **** up, how about you ****ing pull over and sort your car next time, instead of potentially killing someone on the road because you can't see properly out of it. 

If nice Mr Plod is reading this then they can expect 3 points to be added to their licence.  How about they use neat screenwash next time. Maybe combined with a heated windscreen. I've heard that modern cars often have these. Then there would be a clear view of the road as laid out in the Highway code. 

Rule 229: Make sure your windscreen is completely clear.

Deepfriedpizza

Just seen that video of the bus... 

Why on earth was she traveling at that speed? Lucky woman because if she hit that car, I reckon she'd have been in a lot of trouble for not adhering to the conditions of the road.

She done well not to hit them though, I'll give her that.

PeterintheRain
On 2/28/2018 at 16:32, AlimOzturk said:

Guess the view. 

1519835527788-488660868.jpg

Canongate kirk from the back.

11 minutes ago, PeterintheRain said:

Canongate kirk from the back.

??

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, Zico said:

Nucky’s rantings are quite amusing. Continually proven wrong but still going. 

25m0a1.jpg

Moaners are going to moan.

24 minutes ago, Deepfriedpizza said:

Why on earth was she traveling at that speed? Lucky woman because if she hit that car, I reckon she'd have been in a lot of trouble for not adhering to the conditions of the road.

Bog off!

Deepfriedpizza
13 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Bog off!

What's up with you?

Why have I offended you?

Francis Albert

For anyone headng south i just drove from edInburgh to chester without encountering any snow on any carriageway of any road. Good job done overnight on the main roads at least.

Just got home from the co-op. Nae bread, milk, coffee (unless you want decaf). Can't even get the basic ingredients for making my own bread. Potatoes sold out. All other dairy products sold. Didn't see the news report about the Zombie apocalypse. Never seen Bath as bad as this and I've been here 15 years.

2 minutes ago, Deepfriedpizza said:

What's up with you?

Why have I offended you?

Excellent driving from the female bus driver. Tube attempting the three point turn in front of her is at fault.

45 minutes ago, Deepfriedpizza said:

Maybe she had to give it some oomph to get up the hill?

More to the point, why is someone trying to do a three point turn on the brow of a hill?

3 minutes ago, Boris said:

More to the point, why is someone trying to do a three point turn on the brow of a hill?

I thought it looked like they lost control and skidded over the road

Deepfriedpizza
13 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Excellent driving from the female bus driver. Tube attempting the three point turn in front of her is at fault.

11 minutes ago, Boris said:

I thought that as well. Apparently they lost control...

She done well to avoid the collision, no doubt about that and maybe if she was going a bit slower, it may have been harder to avoid, who knows?

My only point was that she was going too fast in the first place. It may be down to the fact she was trying to get up a hill but I don't think it is that because having been a bus driver with Lothian before, you would either make it up a hill with no problem at all, just make it up or fly over it.

12 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

How much snow did Edinburgh actually get?  In centimetres?

Between 30 and 40 I think it was, more to come maybe.

Just now, graygo said:

Wow.

That's a lot of snow, especially for a city that isn't equipped to handle it.  40 cm of snow would be a problem even for most Canadian cities.

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Wow.

That's a lot of snow, especially for a city that isn't equipped to handle it.  40 cm of snow would be a problem even for most Canadian cities.

No, we've been assured that we are the only country that would struggle with this.

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

I would say more like 10cm where I am and I don't think we'll get much more

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, graygo said:

Capture.JPG

Storm Emma is hitting the southwest and Wales and won't be coming anywhere near us.

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

5 inches or nearly 13cm on my car between wednesday late afternoon and early this morning  (near the zoo). At least  an inch before that so 15cm or so.

15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

10cm is neither here nor there. Glad I don't bide beside you, we've got over a meter, even higher including the drifts, great fun!

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Aye mate,

Early 20s, about 6.2 each though

Made sure I was well out of earshot before saying

'Couple o' ******s'

Don't get me started on the nick of some of the visible tattoos.  And with all due respect to the youngsters on not great call centre wages, some of the project management folks in our team arent much better.

Sure we'd still be in our 20s when 'appearance' was still part of our appraisals.

That said apart from interviews and day 1 on the job, my suit and tie has been jacked by day 2 for a good 10+ years.

Times changing and I've morphed in to a miserable old git long before it is time to.

Ha ha. COW right enough! Aye I remember the old appearance category on our appraisals.

I'm a proper Victor Meldrew and have been for ages so I hear you buddy

1 hour ago, PeterintheRain said:

If nice Mr Plod is reading this then they can expect 3 points to be added to their licence.  How about they use neat screenwash next time. Maybe combined with a heated windscreen. I've heard that modern cars often have these. Then there would be a clear view of the road as laid out in the Highway code. 

Rule 229: Make sure your windscreen is completely clear.

Don't upset him, he's apparently better than all of us and the rules of the road don't apply to him.

He's got places to be and places to see... Well not through his windscreen anyway. 

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I stand corrected it was 37cm in Glasgow, Edinburgh has had a measly 16cm.  47cm in East Kilbride.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland-set-for-more-disruption-after-biggest-snowfall-in-20-years-1-4699209

About 5cm in Dundee, but more in higher parts of the town. 

Total let down (and that's just the City...) 

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

Cool mate ;) It was just a guess, I never actually went out with a ruler.

You'll ken the next time then  ;)

Enough snow to totally fill my bottle recycling bin from empty to brimmed up. So that's probably about 30cm where I am. A lot more out in the sticks even just slightly out of town. 

Jambo-Jimbo

3 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

In Morrison's at Crewe Toll this morning and you'd think the end of the world was due. Limited amounts of bread and milk, yet people were buying multiple loafs and cartons of milk. 

Folk were even forgetting how to queue properly, it was mayhem.

Brutal that.

Morrison's down on Granton Rd was fine about half 10.

Seemed pretty quiet and well stocked . 

3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Know the feeling...

:sob:

:robbo:

Yeah, story of my life.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

About 6 inches in drumbrae

ooh_matron2.png

22 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:robbo:

Yeah, story of my life.

Red wine has been on the go since lunchtime so the sun is shining...

:greggy:

Archived