The Beast from the East

Swanny17

5 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

You know its bad when the buses call it a day. Stay safe and warm folks. 

I’ve known them to run reduced services in extreme weather but I can’t recall a time when they’ve suspended every service.

Yet you’ll still get people saying ‘It isn’t that bad’.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

You know its bad when the buses call it a day. Stay safe and warm folks. 

They are still monitoring the situation every hour.

Jambof3tornado

Wife just tried to get from Alloa to Falkirk( she's a nurse), not a fekkin chance. Staff that can walk to work are being asked to do so. 

I'm staying in bed!!

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’ve known them to run reduced services in extreme weather but I can’t recall a time when they’ve suspended every service.

Yet you’ll still get people saying ‘It isn’t that bad’.

Compared to 1963 it isn't that bad:pleased:

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Check out the near miss Lothian bus / car head on smash on the Daily Record website.

:omg!:

The bus driver did well.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The bus driver did well.

The dashcam owner's pants did anaw.  

Another snow day where as the Mrs is told to make every effort to get to work by the NHS.

She would love to get to work and help but she physically can’t get there. 

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The dashcam owner's pants did anaw.  

Saw that yesterday on Facebook.

I normally drive to work.  Would need a snow plough through the estate to get car to main road.  Next option is buses and that is goosed too.

Sitting in anticipation just now. Buses all off until new announcement at 8am but I don’t start work til 9.45pm so if that changes, it’s off to work I go.

pointless though, as there’s nothing I can do at work in this weather and will possibly just get sent straight back home anyway.

A late start means utter bedlam for me dealing with tons of answerphone messages.   Plus we shut 3 hours early yesterday.      Staying shut all day means absolute armageddon dealing with a full day's lost work.     I would be better going in. 

Greedy_Jambo

Scotmid workers have been urged to walk to work.

By me. 

Bloody starving.

Dagger Is Back

Self employed and with roads like this customers can’t get to venues. I can’t get the car out of the estate, it’s about half a mile to the main road. We haven’t see a single gritter so far so it’s all pretty hopeless.

Every day is costing me £200 of income so it’s starting to mount up. In 2010 I pet £1500 and it took months to recover from that.

Frigging sick of it already 

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, Homme said:

Another snow day where as the Mrs is told to make every effort to get to work by the NHS.

I take my hat off to all the NHS workers. My neighbour is a Nurse and she left her car and got a taxi into work yesterday.

Jambo-Jimbo
44 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Wife just tried to get from Alloa to Falkirk( she's a nurse), not a fekkin chance. Staff that can walk to work are being asked to do so. 

I'm staying in bed!!

Mine didn't bother even trying to get back home after her shift last night, she just stayed at the Hospital, besides she's back on again this morning, so it wasn't worth the risk.

Scottish Borders Council tweeted this about 45 minutes ago.

All routes in Tweeddale are effectively closed, with the exception of the A703 between Leadburn and Peebles, which is only passable with extreme care. Please heed the police advice of not travelling.

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Self employed and with roads like this customers can’t get to venues. I can’t get the car out of the estate, it’s about half a mile to the main road. We haven’t see a single gritter so far so it’s all pretty hopeless.

Every day is costing me £200 of income so it’s starting to mount up. In 2010 I pet £1500 and it took months to recover from that.

Frigging sick of it already 

I'm the same mate, but I've put off the work I had this week till next week. I'm only down a weeks wage which is not the end of the World.

Ibrahim Tall

West Lothian is completely dead I think, snow is knee deep virtually everywhere. :laugh:

Didnt even try and go this morning, I’d cleared car park last night but the main road isn’t passable at all.

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

I take my hat off to all the NHS workers. My neighbour is a Nurse and she left her car and got a taxi into work yesterday.

They are awesome. As I said Mrs Homme just can’t get to work, thankfully others who live around St John’s in livi have covered her shift yesterday. 

One of the girls has been working since Tuesday. She brought an overnight bag to work Tuesday ‘just in case’... when folk started phoning in she decided to work on. It now Thursday and she will be working all day today at least.

Fraggle Rock

The wife works in a hospital and yesterday she left the car at home and walked to and from work and it took her 1hr each way instead of her normal 8 min drive, she said over 20 members of staff in her department never made it to work yesterday with even more expected to be absent today. 

One of her workmates had a  3 hr drive to get  home yesterday instead of their normal 20 min drive.

riveting stuff eh? :levein_interesting:

Jambo-Jimbo
26 minutes ago, Homme said:

Here in the Borders if it's really bad weather, NHS Borders call in the Mountain Rescue Teams to transport Nurses down to the BGH and if they are unable to do it the Army gets called in.

Not sure the last time the Army were called in, as Mountain Rescue have always managed to get through.

Hearing on the news that in some parts of England the Army have been transporting Nurses/Doctors etc into Hospitals.

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

Nurses really are a different class of people at times.

:spoton:

incredible people.

It takes a pretty exceptional person to even be a nurse so their severe weather efforts are no surprise.

Fraggle Rock
20 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Mine didn't bother even trying to get back home after her shift last night, she just stayed at the Hospital, besides she's back on again this morning, so it wasn't worth the risk.

Scottish Borders Council tweeted this about 45 minutes ago.

All routes in Tweeddale are effectively closed, with the exception of the A703 between Leadburn and Peebles, which is only passable with extreme care. Please heed the police advice of not travelling.

9 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

8 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

:spoton:

incredible people.

Agreed, There are not many people who are prepared to kip overnight at their work just so they are able to do their job for the next day.

Teachers too.

I'm planning on working at home. Booting up the laptop soon. Just gonna have another hour or so in bed, then I'm gonna bake some biscuits then I'll do 15mins of admin before turning the Xbox on.

Hero is maybe too small a word for me......

Drifts up the side of my house are about four feet and the car looks like it has an upper deck. So bored yesterday I actually dug out the wii. Daytime tv is so bad.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

57 minutes ago, Homme said:

They are awesome. As I said Mrs Homme just can’t get to work, thankfully others who live around St John’s in livi have covered her shift yesterday. 

One of the girls has been working since Tuesday. She brought an overnight bag to work Tuesday ‘just in case’... when folk started phoning in she decided to work on. It now Thursday and she will be working all day today at least.

48 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

37 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It takes a pretty exceptional person to even be a nurse so their severe weather efforts are no surprise.

Couldn’t agree more. My MIL is critically ill in hospital with little hope of making it, and the nurses looking after her stayed there last night as the other shift couldn’t get in.

It takes a certain kind of person to be that committed. In saying that, there are many others too including all of the emergency services.

Got the call at 7:10 this morning to stay at home :) Just about to venture out with my wellies on and see if I can find a shop that’s open 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm the same mate, but I've put off the work I had this week till next week. I'm only down a weeks wage which is not the end of the World.

You’re right it ain’t the end of the world and there are others far worse off. Just a kick in the balls when you think things are starting to go in the right direction.

It’s all my fault. I said to the wife two weeks ago that a winter without snow disruption would be very welcome 

No word from my work yet on if its shut today. So I'm looking at over an hours walk (on a non snowy day), and if I do I can guarantee most people won't make the effort. 

10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Had to clear a section in the back garden for the dugs to do their business.

Probably a few others that will be hidden for days....

048675a44e4036674b9bdeab3c4ec0c2.jpg

Still no news in 9am LRT update.  I could get a bus to Waverley but nothing to get me to work from there.

I got up extra early to try and get in.  Not going to travel and walk the difference if buses aren't running when I finish.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Still no news in 9am LRT update.  I could get a bus to Waverley but nothing to get me to work from there.

I got up extra early to try and get in.  Not going to travel and walk the difference if buses aren't running when I finish.

I’m not holding out much hope for the buses to be running anytime soon bud.

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

I’m not holding out much hope for the buses to be running anytime soon bud.

Yeah.  I am about to give up and maybe head to local store if it's open.

9 hours ago, tian447 said:

Instead of telling me to shut the **** up, how about you ****ing pull over and sort your car next time, instead of potentially killing someone on the road because you can't see properly out of it. 

:laugh:

Comfortable I chose safer option, I could see OK but if you think it's ok to just stop on a busy M8 in a blizzard (which I believe is illegal) then I'm glad I don't drive behind you often.

Taking a bit of a kicking on here when I only done the exact same as thousands of others did yesterday JKB is a harsh place.

For the record, took day off today so roads a much safer place. Might head out later and clear the car.

I eventually got someone from work and we're "assessing the situation" but annoying heads of department were supposed to keep their staff up to date and mine was the only one who didn't bother. Dick.

The Future's Maroon

They have the airline bus on, but the airport is shut? Doubt the buses will be on today. Not even that many taxis on the roads, some but very few.

Kudos to the emergency workers who have either stayed on, managed to get in. And to those who have made the effort to get to their works.

(Special mention to one of my mates who works in my local for making it, just seen him battling through the snow to get to work/get pub open for today ?)

Office officially closed so day off now.................but what to do if no one else can get to work ?

The Future's Maroon
3 minutes ago, kila said:

Anyone know if the Sainbury's at Gorgie is open?

Not sure, the Lidl at Slateford is def open, so I would assume so.

Off to stock up on bread, bog roll and milk?! ?

Just now, The Future's Maroon said:

Not sure, the Lidl at Slateford is def open, so I would assume so.

Off to stock up on bread, bog roll and milk?! ?

I'm bad at stocking up, a daily shopper

deesidejambo
2 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

They have the airline bus on, but the airport is shut? Doubt the buses will be on today. Not even that many taxis on the roads, some but very few.

Kudos to the emergency workers who have either stayed on, managed to get in. And to those who have made the effort to get to their works.

(Special mention to one of my mates who works in my local for making it, just seen him battling through the snow to get to work/get pub open for today ?)

The airport is ok but because everyone has been told to stay at home there are not enough staff in to operate the place.    Maybe the Airport bus still running is to get staff in

Managed to get into work. Boiler woke me up at 4 am making a noise like a feckin snowplough. Gurgling and now dead. Marvellous 

39 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Had to clear a section in the back garden for the dugs to do their business.

Probably a few others that will be hidden for days....

Took my new puppy dug out the back for a greyfriars earlier but it wasn't interested. 

Just ate the snaw and now it can't stop peeing on the mats in the hoose! :)

10am non update from LRT.

Doesn't look like buses to start running any time soon.  I have now given up.

davemclaren

Had my regular appointment with my consultant this morning but no buses and getting out of my drive and street ( both uphill ) was unlikely, even with xdrive. Phoned them and left a message saying I wouldn’t make it. Just got a call from my consultant to do a telephone appointment. She had walked from Trinity to the infirmary this morning...that’s dedication. 

Archived