The Beast from the East

Swanny17

Buses back on and will run a Sunday service. Buses will start departing garages at 10 am and full Sunday service expected to be running by approx 12pm.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam Murray
39 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

I’d be surprised if lothian buses are back on before this afternoon at the earliest. Their staff are all sitting at home so would need to make there way to work before any service could resume. 

All three garages are rammed with drivers.

Buses to start running within the next hour, on a limited Sunday service

The Real Maroonblood
58 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Have a look on traffic Scotland live cams. All the routes around Edinburgh and the M8 AND M9 are clear with no traffic on them.

The government have struck the fear of God into people. They should release another statement saying it's now ok.

There is very little snow now forecast. Time to get the country moving again

You'll be moaning it's only a Sunday service today.

I'm in work.   Set off on a trek of about 5 miles.  A tremendous chap stopped and gave me a lift after I got about half way.  Saved me a lot of time and effort.    There are indeed some great folk about.

The Old Tolbooth

A before and after picture taken on the outskirts of Hawick, surely it has to stop soon! :o 

Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

2 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

A before and after picture taken on the outskirts of Hawick, surely it has to stop soon! :o 

:omg!:

On BBC news they just interviewed the driver of THAT LRT bus (Charmaine). Inteviewer asked if everyone on the bus gave her a round of applause /congratulated her. "Nah, just one woman asked me if ah wiz awright when she was gettin' off the bus".  Edinburgh folks sure are hard to scare. 

Jambo-Jimbo
53 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

And some folks are wondering what all the fuss is about.

We have 1-2 feet of snow at my part of the Borders (Peebles area).

58 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

On BBC news they just interviewed the driver of THAT LRT bus (Charmaine). Inteviewer asked if everyone on the bus gave her a round of applause /congratulated her. "Nah, just one woman asked me if ah wiz awright when she was gettin' off the bus".  Edinburgh folks sure are hard to scare. 

Most of them were probably looking at their phones and oblivious to it happening.

1 hour ago, johnmitchell said:

Looks like it has cleared up really well.

1 hour ago, pablo said:

First time in the 3 years of owning a 4x4 that I've actually had any benefit from it. Once dug out, it was actually fun driving about. That's the point of them then! Mine just does the school run and supermarket stuff in town.

Tescos too far away to walk? :wink:

I had to schlep my way to the nearest supermarket - Aldi.  Surprisingly well stocked, no bread though but that's no hardship.

Plenty of the essentials, such as wine...

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I know mate, laughable that the country cams to a standstill. Every other country in mainland Europe would be going about their business normally

A lot of Countries in Europe get weather like this every year and therefore can plan ahead and put the infrastructure in place to cope with it.

The UK don't get weather like this every year, this is the worst it's been for at least 5 years, do you want the country to spend millions and millions of pounds putting infrastructure in place only for it to be used once or twice every 5 or 6 years.

As for mainland Europe carrying on as usual, what a load of pish, Rome came to a standstill the other day because there was 1-2cm of snow and Rome city council admitted that they don't have the infrastructure in place to cope, bearing in mind this was the first time in 6 years that any snow of any amount had fallen on Rome.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A lot of Countries in Europe get weather like this every year and therefore can plan ahead and put the infrastructure in place to cope with it.

The UK don't get weather like this every year, this is the worst it's been for at least 5 years, do you want the country to spend millions and millions of pounds putting infrastructure in place only for it to be used once or twice every 5 or 6 years.

As for mainland Europe carrying on as usual, what a load of pish, Rome came to a standstill the other day because there was 1-2cm of snow and Rome city council admitted that they don't have the infrastructure in place to cope, bearing in mind this was the first time in 6 years that any snow of any amount had fallen on Rome.

I have a Romanian mate who said at he start of the week the temp back home had been -18C for days and everything was frozen, people stranded, villages cut off etc.  He thinks the UK is hopeless at dealing with winter conditions and he's been here for a few years now. 

Carl Fredrickson

My earlier post this morning mentioned a snowplough must have visited my street. I was wrong, 4 guys in the street cleared the road last night as one of them needed to get their car out (I didnt ask why but he is a private hire taxi). 

Kudos to them as it gives the rest of us hope. I have just spent 2 hours digging my car out of the parking bay and I am hopeful that the worst is well and truly over. 

Some good folk out there.

18 hours ago, deesidejambo said:

Or maybe your missus has been fiddling with it?

:oohmatron:

2 hours ago, Dunks said:

Nope - much of mainland Europe also struggling with the conditions.

He's dug in this far, no way he's abandoning his crusade now. :wink:

Just been out in the car, roads aren't as bad as I though. Asked the old dear round the corner if she wanted anything from Morrison's, "case of Strongbow & Lorne sausage son" :laugh:

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And some folks are wondering what all the fuss is about.

We have 1-2 feet of snow at my part of the Borders (Peebles area).

Have you moved upstream?

I dug my car out yesterday. Didn't go anywhere, just dug it out.

Nae milk or bread in town, so baked our own then went to #1 :thumbsup:

Stuart Lyon

Bus website doesn't let you see the Sunday service timetable at the moment so how do you know when a bus is due?

5 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

He's dug in this far, no way he's abandoning his crusade now. :wink:

:rofl:

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Bus website doesn't let you see the Sunday service timetable at the moment so how do you know when a bus is due?

When you see it coming along the road:happy:

2 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Don't think it's following a timetable just now. My fiancee just waited 40 minutes for an 11 that's meant to come every 15 mins or so on a Sunday.

This is in no way a complaint btw - just saying that checking a timetable might not be worth it.

Too much commonsense in your post.

People just love a moan. Personally I blame the Scottish Government if not them then the Council or the Police or anyone else I can think of.☺

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, luckydug said:

Too much commonsense in your post.

People just love a moan. Personally I blame the Scottish Government if not them then the Council or the Police or anyone else I can think of.☺

Ann Budge as well.

3 hours ago, Dunks said:

Nope - much of mainland Europe also struggling with the conditions.

Another myth busted.

I really need to go to the shops in the vain hope they've got milk.

But at the same time I don't want to make a mess of the snow on the path to the gate. 

But also don't want someone else, especially my arsehole of a postman, have the pleasure of doing it. 

I think I may have cabin fever.

Radio Scotland interviewed a woman in Berlin as it had been -11 to -15 and had some snow, but coped so how did they do it?

Well,

The snow hadn't ben as bad as ours

When folk are told not to travel, they do as they are told.

When they go out they are fully prepard with the correct warm and waterproof clothing.

Bus serves had been cancelled but folk were coping ok as

The underground was still running.

3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

When they go out they are fully prepard with the correct warm and waterproof clothing.

Amazing the number of people who don't seem to own a proper warm coat and sensible shoes for any weather less than perfect. 

4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Radio Scotland interviewed a woman in Berlin as it had been -11 to -15 and had some snow, but coped so how did they do it?

Well,

The snow hadn't ben as bad as ours

When folk are told not to travel, they do as they are told.

Bus serves had been cancelled but folk were coping ok as

The underground was still running.

That's what we need "an underground"

If we start building now it might be ready for the next red alert in 20 years time. ☺

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I really need to go to the shops in the vain hope they've got milk.

But at the same time I don't want to make a mess of the snow on the path to the gate. 

But also don't want someone else, especially my arsehole of a postman, have the pleasure of doing it. 

I think I may have cabin fever.

Feeling your pain.

I drove to Aldi to buy a paper (snow down here is actually melting already) and there wasn't a single one delivered. So i bought a big chocolate cake to cheer myself up. My wife & daughter can feck right off. It's murder being here on yer own. 

Nucky Thompson
21 minutes ago, graygo said:

Another myth busted.

Busted because Dunks says so :laugh: As far as I can see it's only Italy that's struggling a wee bit.

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

That's what we need "an underground"

If we start building now it might be ready for the next red alert in 20 years time. ☺

It wouldn't make a difference in the UK as they shut down the London Underground this week :laugh:

Jambo-Jimbo
59 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Have you moved upstream?

I dug my car out yesterday. Didn't go anywhere, just dug it out.

Nae milk or bread in town, so baked our own then went to #1 :thumbsup:

Got rolls at Adams' this morning. :laugh:

But you could be right about the milk tho, as I didn't see any at the Village Store or at Caddon Court, don't know about the Co-op, not that I'm needing any.

Are the towels outside #1 so as you mucky bikers don't get mud all over the chairs? :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Got rolls at Adams' this morning. :laugh:

But you could be right about the milk tho, as I didn't see any at the Village Store or at Caddon Court, don't know about the Co-op, not that I'm needing any.

Are the towels outside #1 so as you mucky bikers don't get mud all over the chairs? :laugh:

There isn't mud right now - it's all frozen :laugh:

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Dunks said:

There isn't mud right now - it's all frozen :laugh:

Well that makes a change. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Busted because Dunks says so :laugh: As far as I can see it's only Italy that's struggling a wee bit.

If Dunks says so then it is.  :thumbsup: 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Ireland have shat it like the UK.

The links say nothing about Europe not coping.

Show me a link from France, Germany or Holland about their infrastructure shutting down.

You'll find plenty of links about Europeans over here who don't understand the fuss

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well that makes a change. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Although I've had to cancel the Elliot Campbell Memorial race next week, as I can't see that amount of snow shifting in town, never mind up the wuds by then :mad:

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Show me a link from France, Germany or Holland about their infrastructure shutting down.

You'll find plenty of links about Europeans over here who don't understand the fuss

And the reason for that could very well be that they are used to severe weather whilst we're not.

8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180301/siberian-freeze-leaves-swathes-of-france-in-chaos

Sacré blanc! Eiffel Tower remains closed as snow disrupts Paris

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/07/eiffel-tower-closes-snow-weather-paris-france

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Dunks said:

Although I've had to cancel the Elliot Campbell Memorial race next week, as I can't see that amount of snow shifting in town, never mind up the wuds by then :mad:

The Mighty Deer Stalker's been cancelled for tomorrow, little surprise there, dangerous enough without trying to wade through knee deep snow as well.

2 hours ago, Boris said:

Tescos too far away to walk? :wink:

I had to schlep my way to the nearest supermarket - Aldi.  Surprisingly well stocked, no bread though but that's no hardship.

Plenty of the essentials, such as wine...

Ha! I was going to work. I've had a whole floor of the office to myself today.

heartsfc_fan

Dug one of our cars out so that's something.

Nice having the whole neighborhood out mucking in and clearing the road. Brings out the best in the local community.

Archived