The Beast from the East

Swanny17

1 hour ago, graygo said:

I stand corrected it was 37cm in Glasgow, Edinburgh has had a measly 16cm.  47cm in East Kilbride.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland-set-for-more-disruption-after-biggest-snowfall-in-20-years-1-4699209

The greatest single snowfall in Toronto this winter was about 15 cm.  Not a problem, especially when you consider that Toronto has 600 snow plows and 200 salt trucks ready to go  ... plus everybody has snow tyres on their car.  Nevertheless, 30-40 cms  would be a wee bit of a challenge.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot

Is this the snow drinking thread. Can I join in and share stories. Just read this thread in a one'r. Cracking thread

30 minutes ago, Boris said:

Red wine has been on the go since lunchtime so the sun is shining...

:greggy:

My sort of afternoon Boris :sweeet:

32 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The greatest single snowfall in Toronto this winter was about 15 cm.  Not a problem, especially when you consider that Toronto has 600 snow plows and 200 salt trucks ready to go  ... plus everybody has snow tyres on their car.  Nevertheless, 30-40 cms  would be a wee bit of a challenge.

A challenge? For Canada?! 

Never - we are repeatedly told that we are the only country that struggles with the snow and countries like Canada cope with it with ease! 

2 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Never - we are repeatedly told that we are the only country that struggles with the snow and countries like Canada cope with it with ease! 

To be fair we would struggle with a lot less than we've had but in this instance we have had a lot.

The Future's Maroon
14 minutes ago, kila said:

Going to be chaos when all that snow melts

Tsunami ? alerts out imminently!

5 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

No city in Canada would cope with 30-40 cm "with ease".  Whoever is saying that is a blether.

But we are well prepared, with plenty of equipment on standby whenever the weather forecast has a snow alert.  And the individual drivers are better prepared too.

chester copperpot
22 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

BBC Reporting Scotland and the snow.

Reporting Glasgow more like. Glasgow buses, some po faced boot in a rail station in....... Glasgow. A supermarket stockist in, Yep, Glasgow.

Then a token mention of Edinburgh and Larbert NHS then the Edinburgh bus driver wifie who was going too fast anyway but is now a feckin celebrity.

Aberdeen got a token mention.

Arseholes.

:lol:

JKB's wordsmith strikes again

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, kila said:

Going to be chaos when all that snow melts

Yip, then it'll be that the UK can't cope with a wee bit of water. :laugh:

J.T.F.Robertson
59 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

No city in Canada would cope with 30-40 cm "with ease".  Whoever is saying that is a blether.

But we are well prepared, with plenty of equipment on standby whenever the weather forecast has a snow alert.  And the individual drivers are better prepared too.

It's still snowing like a bassa out here in the wild west and supposed to keep going 'til late tomorrow. *Cannie remember a worse winter in the time I've been here.

*Might be an auld age thing right enough. (another one) :(

3 hours ago, tian447 said:

Don't upset him, he's apparently better than all of us and the rules of the road don't apply to him.

He's got places to be and places to see... Well not through his windscreen anyway. 

Never bother myself , as soon as I can see through a wee bit that’s defrosted I’ll start driving. 

19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, then it'll be that the UK can't cope with a wee bit of water. :laugh:

I take it you've never lived out of town before to see the actual effect melting snow can have?

Just a bit more than a wee bit of water. I reckon the river tweed will be pushed to its limits again. 

The Natural Order
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Edinburgh bus driver wifie who was going too fast anyway but is now a feckin celebrity.

I thought I was the only one who thought this. Nice to know there's others.

The Future's Maroon
13 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

It's still snowing like a bassa out here in the wild west and supposed to keep going 'til late tomorrow. *Cannie remember a worse winter in the time I've been here.

*Might be an auld age thing right enough. (another one) :(

J, isn't Canada always covered in snow? Or is it just the majority of it? (Genuine question, not a country I am familiar with, just always thought it was)

P.s Are you coming over this summer for a visit?

Jambo-Jimbo
44 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

And that's the whole point, when a country gets severe weather on a regular yearly basis, they put in the infrastructure to cope with that.

I mentioned earlier that Rome came to a standstill this week because it had 1-2cm of snow, which is nothing but a mere dusting to most of us, but to a City which only ever sees snow once or twice every decade it's a big deal and causes absolute chaos. 

I would not be surprised to learn that Rome doesn't even have any road gritting lorries and a snowplough, what the hell is that, and why should they have them, they have no need if they get snow so rarely.

People compare the UK to other countries in Europe, and how those countries can cope far better than the UK can, yeh compare the UK to the Scandinavian and Alpine Countries and the likes of Poland and the Balkans which get very heavy snow year in year out.

Aviemore, Scotland's Ski capital would go out of business most years if it didn't have snow making machines, which when there is a lack of real snow keep the centre open.

The UK gets, on occasions, Tornado's, Hurricane/Gale Force Winds and Earthquakes, but do we build Tornado shelters, no, what about Hurricane proof houses, no, nor do we build Earthquake proof buildings, and the reason why is quite simple, it's because even whilst we get all of these devastating events, they are in the UK relatively infrequent and rarely ever severe enough to cause much damage, of course there is exceptions and the same can be said of the UK's weather, where every 5-10 years we get a real cold snap or Siberian/Alpine/Scandinavian amounts of snow, and that is why we don't have the infrastructure to deal with what is for the UK, extreme weather events, such as this week has been, because we don't get that extreme weather event regularly every year.

Jambo-Jimbo
38 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

I take it you've never lived out of town before to see the actual effect melting snow can have?

Just a bit more than a wee bit of water. I reckon the river tweed will be pushed to its limits again. 

I was being facetious, hence the :laugh:.

I live about 200 meters from the Tweed which floods near enough every year in Innerleithen, whose High Street regularly gets sand bags handed out in an effort to try and protect the properties from flooding.

So to answer your question, yes, I know only too well the effects of melting snow can have, we have to deal with it every year, to one extent or another. 

Edit. The High Street flooding isn't due to the Tweed, it's usually a direct consequence of the snow melt or rain water from Caerlee Hill.

gashauskis9
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Reporting Glasgow more like. Glasgow buses, some po faced boot in a rail station in....... Glasgow. A supermarket stockist in, Yep, Glasgow.

Then a token mention of Edinburgh and Larbert NHS then the Edinburgh bus driver wifie who was going too fast anyway but is now a feckin celebrity.

Arseholes.

The bus driver is cert for celebrity big brother now ???

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Your point about better prepared drivers is a good one. I drove about 150 miles of recently cleared motorway today. The roads were clear of snow but still wet and temperatures below zero. Icy patches were likely. But cars and vans raced along at 80 or 90 and cut in and out of lanes without warning. And drove insanely close to vehicles in front of them.

Of course many roads were impassable but I am certain bad ignorant driving contributed to the chaos this week.

The bread situation has gone a step further in Ireland. Locals have stolen a massive digger, knocked down a LIDL, set in for fire and dragged the safe down the road which they are using the digger to try to smash open.

27 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I was being facetious, hence the :laugh:.

I live about 200 meters from the Tweed which floods near enough every year in Innerleithen, whose High Street regularly gets sand bags handed out in an effort to try and protect the properties from flooding.

So to answer your question, yes, I know only too well the effects of melting snow can have, we have to deal with it every year, to one extent or another. 

Edit. The High Street flooding isn't due to the Tweed, it's usually a direct consequence of the snow melt or rain water from Caerlee Hill.

And there was me thinking it was just a townie comment. I was from out that way as well, it's funny living in Edinburgh watching people struggle in a few inches of snow :lol:

What's the snow like in Innerleithen just now? Got a few deliveries needing to go up Leithen Road & Wells Brae but don't know if it's reachable from the Peebles side? 

Cairneyhill Jambo
12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Have a look on traffic Scotland live cams. All the routes around Edinburgh and the M8 AND M9 are clear with no traffic on them.

The government have struck the fear of God into people. They should release another statement saying it's now ok.

There is very little snow now forecast. Time to get the country moving again

What an idiotic comment. You do realise that its absolute chaos outside the city centre? 

William H. Bonney
11 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

The bus driver is cert for celebrity big brother now ???

this country hasn't had such a hero since John smeaton.  

William H. Bonney
Just now, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

What an idiotic comment. You do realise that its absolute chaos outside the city centre? 

he knows. 

15 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I traveled from Edinburgh to the Borders in an unloaded rear wheel drive transit pickup today. I took the A702, the road which runs along side the Pentlands.  If it was that bad, my rear wheels would have been spinning and I'd have been going nowhere, especially considering I had to go up flotterstone hill (which was also clear) 

There has been bad snow, there's no doubting that,  but the worst has past and I agree, it's time to stop acting like the world is ending and move on. 

Side streets are white, main roads are visible black tarmac. 

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I'm outside the city centre and I'm looking outside my window laughing at the avoidable chaos the puppy from the East has caused.

Scottish government GTF, Edinburgh Council GTF.

It's Winter, we get bead weather.

In fact it's Spring and it will probably be melted in a couple of days

:cornette_dog:

Absolutely relentless stuff from Nucky.

By relentless I actually mean child like, ignorant, repetitive guff.

What I like about the bad weather is that people are nice to each other but when the snow clears everyone will be back to ignoring each other agin.

Stay safe everyone and a big thank you to everyone who is trying to keep the country going.

John Findlay
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Baw deep here on Wednesday but all gone now.

Your baws are 2cm from the ground :cornette:?

Konrad von Carstein
3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Arseholes.

No she wasn't and no she isn't ...Loud Noises describes most of your post on here lately...

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Your baws are 2cm from the ground :cornette:?

That was my point John.

I was lying down, face first :)

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Arseholes.

Don’t know the story here (obviously) but, you do have a way with words.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Col1874 said:

And there was me thinking it was just a townie comment. I was from out that way as well, it's funny living in Edinburgh watching people struggle in a few inches of snow :lol:

What's the snow like in Innerleithen just now? Got a few deliveries needing to go up Leithen Road & Wells Brae but don't know if it's reachable from the Peebles side? 

Over my knees on my front driveway, which will be a foot and a half to two feet.

Wells Brae will be doubtful from either the entrance across from the Co-op or Hall Street (Fire Station) and up Wells Brae itself no chance I would think.

Leithen Road, I went up as far as the Memorial Hall today and it was ok, however past the Strand, I don't know, not been up there.

However it is improving with each passing day.

Nucky Thompson
36 minutes ago, Crete said:

What I like about the bad weather is that people are nice to each other but when the snow clears everyone will be back to ignoring each other agin.

Stay safe everyone and a big thank you to everyone who is trying to keep the country going.

I don't know what it is but your post sounds like a Scouse whine

Jambo-Jimbo
36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Don’t know the story here (obviously) but, you do have a way with words.

Basically, yesterday the BBC spent about 10-15 Minutes on about Glasgow and barely 5 minutes on about the rest of Scotland.

It's pretty much the same as ITV Border news (The Carlisle News), which spends most of the bulletin talking about Carlisle and the North of England (Cumbria) and the South of Scotland might get a mention if it's lucky.

Ask your Sister, I'm sure she'll tell you the same, no doubts.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

That was my point John.

I was lying down, face first :)

In that case they were 2cm underground :laugh:.

Cairneyhill Jambo
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm outside the city centre and I'm looking outside my window laughing at the avoidable chaos the puppy from the East has caused.

You're obviously taking the pish. And i thought trolling was against the rules. There are are 5 foot snow drifts all over fife and the borders. But you crack on Nucky. 

Noticed that the bull shitter that is the transport minister came out with something along the lines of "people of my age and older say it's the worst weather we've ever had", what a load of pish as the weather was far worse back in the 1970s and into the 80s. 

7 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It never took me long and I've came to the conclusion...you're not right in the head.

8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

“The puppy from the East” :cornette:

Borders rail looks to be cancelled all day - does anyone know if that might change as day goes on? I'm going stir crazy here!

John Findlay
37 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Borders rail looks to be cancelled all day - does anyone know if that might change as day goes on? I'm going stir crazy here!

No services to Tweedbank today again. Though services are planned for both North Berwick and Dunbar. Hourly services for Fife in both directions. Trains on the Bathgate line but only to Milngavie and not Helensburgh central. Trains planned for Dunblane today too. Not sure for Inverness via Perth. Though you can get there via Aberdeen. Trains for queen Street via Falkirk High, though maybe only every 30 minutes, which means quarter past and quarter to the hour from Waverley and on the hour and half hour from Queen Street.

Jambo-Jimbo
48 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Galashiels Station the other day, and it's not melting any time soon, that's for sure.

image.png.becd15f6980e856513f070d5475896df.png

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Galashiels Station the other day, and it's not melting any time soon, that's for sure.

image.png.becd15f6980e856513f070d5475896df.png

There won't be any trains that way today.

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Don't know when the photo was taken, probably Thursday, and unless there is a major thaw or some serious rain over the weekend, I can't see there being any trains for days.

Of course when it does thaw, it'll be the flooding to contend with next.

3 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

It never took me long and I've came to the conclusion...you're not right in the head.

It's all about self defensive ego preservation now. And of course, he's right, and 64,999,999 people are wrong. :lol:

21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Cheers. Might risk driving up. A68 looks clear

Archived