The Beast from the East

Swanny17

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

No services to Tweedbank today again. Though services are planned for both North Berwick and Dunbar. Hourly services for Fife in both directions. Trains on the Bathgate line but only to Milngavie and not Helensburgh central. Trains planned for Dunblane today too. Not sure for Inverness via Perth. Though you can get there via Aberdeen. Trains for queen Street via Falkirk High, though maybe only every 30 minutes, which means quarter past and quarter to the hour from Waverley and on the hour and half hour from Queen Street.

What do you reckon chances are of direct trains between Edinburgh and Motherwell tomorrow?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Findlay
5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

What do you reckon chances are of direct trains between Edinburgh and Motherwell tomorrow?

Truthfully at this time 50/50. Cross country for those trains. My advice at present go via Glasgow.

John Findlay
19 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

How's the Edinburgh Glasgow Central via Shotts line looking for Monday JF?

At this time 50/50.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Truthfully at this time 50/50. Cross country for those trains. My advice at present go via Glasgow.

Cheers John. And thanks for your post on the other thread too.

Jambo-Jimbo

Wonderful gesture from the local florist (Stems) in Innerleithen.

Wife got a bouquet of flowers from them this morning, with a note thanking her for being a 'Snow Hero' for her efforts in truly atrocious conditions to get to her work at the Hospital.

She's chuffed to bits with the flowers and the sentiments that came with them.

The shop have done this of their own backs, wonderful lovely people.

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wonderful gesture from the local florist (Stems) in Innerleithen.

Wife got a bouquet of flowers from them this morning, with a note thanking her for being a 'Snow Hero' for her efforts in truly atrocious conditions to get to her work at the Hospital.

She's chuffed to bits with the flowers and the sentiments that came with them.

The shop have done this of their own backs, wonderful lovely people.

Brilliant.

5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

So no snow near Nice then, mon ami ? 

:lol:

Oh aye.

Quite heavy falls on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but absolutely nothing like Scotland got.

By yesterday afternoon the sun was back and the thermometer on our balcony was reading 26 degrees in the direct sun. It was probably in reality though, only about 16.

14 hours ago, John Findlay said:

In that case they were 2cm underground :laugh:.

:oohmatron:

Vicious, but fair.

14 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Basically, yesterday the BBC spent about 10-15 Minutes on about Glasgow and barely 5 minutes on about the rest of Scotland.

It's pretty much the same as ITV Border news (The Carlisle News), which spends most of the bulletin talking about Carlisle and the North of England (Cumbria) and the South of Scotland might get a mention if it's lucky.

Ask your Sister, I'm sure she'll tell you the same, no doubts.

The usual west coast bias then Jimbo?

Doesn’t surprise me one iota.

Wife was speaking to her sister this morning and it sounds like it been horrendous. She lives near Peebles.

J.T.F.Robertson
17 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

J, isn't Canada always covered in snow? Or is it just the majority of it? (Genuine question, not a country I am familiar with, just always thought it was)

P.s Are you coming over this summer for a visit?

Sorry, pizza arrived. :(

Not always, :laugh: we do have a summer. The coast of B.C. is about the only place that might not see any in the winter, their weather is a lot like back hame, although not the "back hame" at the minute. Out here we always have a fair bit but this winter has gone above and beyond. Other parts normally get a helluva lot more than we do, Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic Canada, spring to mind.

As for a visit, that's the plan. Just not sure when, although during the World Cup might be an idea.

Tell the locals I was asking.

J.T.F.Robertson
17 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

J, isn't Canada always covered in snow? Or is it just the majority of it? (Genuine question, not a country I am familiar with, just always thought it was)

P.s Are you coming over this summer for a 

Doubler.

Stuart Lyon

My immediate neighbour and the neighbour wifey beyond him very kindly took responsibility for clearing the road in front of our houses. The wifey involved took 2 shifts at clearing the entrances onto the road and did a great job. I did go out about 9am to do my bit but the young guy next door said he would do it! A right pair of heroes.

Jambo-Jimbo
28 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The usual west coast bias then Jimbo?

Doesn’t surprise me one iota.

Wife was speaking to her sister this morning and it sounds like it been horrendous. She lives near Peebles.

Oh it's your sister-in-law, I thought it was your sister, my mistake.

Did she ever get that thing back which was nicked and if she stays where I think she does, there are usually one or two of them sitting on the access road, I see them when passing going to or from Edinburgh.

Konrad von Carstein
6 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I disagree. It looked to me like she was not going at a speed condusive to the conditions, but i bow to your obvious superior knowledge on driving a bus.  

By the way, she did very well to avoid the car, so probably should have stated that on reflection.

I'm relieved that you didn't refer to ALL of my posts..... ?

I suspect that our knowledge of driving buses is on a par with each others ?

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Oh aye.

Quite heavy falls on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but absolutely nothing like Scotland got.

By yesterday afternoon the sun was back and the thermometer on our balcony was reading 26 degrees in the direct sun. It was probably in reality though, only about 16.

Did you buy the thermometer, place it in direct sunshine and you are now guessing the temperature? Isn't there a shaded part of the balcony the thermometer could be placed to give accurate readings?

John Findlay
57 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:oohmatron:

Vicious, but fair.

I'm a very fair man:thumbsup:.

12 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Did you buy the thermometer, place it in direct sunshine and you are now guessing the temperature? Isn't there a shaded part of the balcony the thermometer could be placed to give accurate readings?

You’re right. We have it directly in the sun so possibly not the best idea!

29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Oh it's your sister-in-law, I thought it was your sister, my mistake.

Did she ever get that thing back which was nicked and if she stays where I think she does, there are usually one or two of them sitting on the access road, I see them when passing going to or from Edinburgh.

The trailer?

No, they never got it back. Thanks for the tip though Jimbo, I’ll pass that on.

:2thumbsup:

39 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Lovely. 

Right. Better get on and finish clearing the snow from our road 

Don't want to be accused of being an empty vessel......

Don’t understand the last line Jonno :mellow:

Someone said something along these lines?

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

John, I live next to the rail line in newtongrange. Heard a train earlier, louder than normal and can now see the track but otherwise still a whiteout - presume it was checking the line? Really hope they’re running Monday. 

Possibly a snowplough clearing the track. They will being doing their utmost to have ithe clear for Monday so that folk can get to their work. Latest scotrail wise. Line to Dunblane has been tested and is good. So hope to start running trains on that. Probably an hourly service.

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Ach forget it mate. No issues with anyone on here and no one knows more than me than I can go on a bit. 

By the way, we spent feckin yonks with a snow spade and wee chopper thingy breaking up the ice and clearing the hard packed snow from the street in front of our house and the lassie's next door as her husband is stuck in London. 

What has now appeared. A man from the council with a wee snow plough finishing off what we knocked our James Hunts in over the last two feckin days. 

Right up the cooncil gritter for Mr and Mrs JTJ. 

:muggy:

:clyay:

Nae luck...

The Real Maroonblood
35 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Took around 2.5 hrs for me to clear the road with a shovel earlier. Aching all over now so thought I deserved a beer. 

My wife cleared the railway bridge next to us which was nice of her however my 8 year old is spewing as he’s been sliding down the steps on his sledge!

If your under 55 that's okay but over 55 it's dangerous.

it can cause cardiac arrest.

That was according to an article in the news during the week.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Ach forget it mate. No issues with anyone on here and no one knows more than me than I can go on a bit. 

By the way, we spent feckin yonks with a snow spade and wee chopper thingy breaking up the ice and clearing the hard packed snow from the street in front of our house and the lassie's next door as her husband is stuck in London. 

What has now appeared. A man from the council with a wee snow plough finishing off what we knocked our James Hunts in over the last two feckin days. 

Right up the cooncil gritter for Mr and Mrs JTJ. 

:muggy:

I refuse to clear my drive, which starts out shared, then splits off up to each house. My neighbour can’t get his car out, but I can, as I’ve got a 4x4. He can go #### himself, if he thinks I’m helping him out. He is an erse of the highest order, he’s fell out with pretty much every neighbour in our street and everyone hates him, so he can...:bolt:

37 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Aye, the wife was just saying exactly the same thing...after I'd cleared 30m2 of the white shit, asking me if I felt ok. Wrong side of the danger zone tae. :eek:

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Aye, the wife was just saying exactly the same thing...after I'd cleared 30m2 of the white shit, asking me if I felt ok. Wrong side of the danger zone tae. :eek:

Going to be there on Monday :(

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

:laugh::laugh:

After she checked the insurance policy.

Thunderstruck
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You can’t win these days. Sitting on your arse watching TV is dangerous. Walking or cycling exposes you to nasty pollution. Now, digging out snow is going to kill you. 

Doing any activity beyond a comfortable pace is going to risk damage to muscles, bones or the ticker. Take smaller loads, take frequent pauses or, if all else fails, limit yourself to supervising the wife when she does the digging. 

As an aside, I once heard someone being advised that his level of activity meant he “could have had a stroke”. His reply was that he “didn’t know one was on offer”.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

You can’t win these days. Sitting on your arse watching TV is dangerous. Walking or cycling exposes you to nasty pollution. Now, digging out snow is going to kill you. 

Doing any activity beyond a comfortable pace is going to risk damage to muscles, bones or the ticker. Take smaller loads, take frequent pauses or, if all else fails, limit yourself to supervising the wife when she does the digging. 

As an aside, I once heard someone being advised that his level of activity meant he “could have had a stroke”. His reply was that he “didn’t know one was on offer”.

You can't win.

Everything in moderation except alcohol.

35 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Me too mate, and I spent hours at it. 

Mind do so did my wife and she is also on the wrong side if 55.

The only thing hurting is my right wrist and arm.

:oohmatron: FTFY

44 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Going to be there on Monday :(

Thought you were a wee bit younger LB?

Jambo-Jimbo

Indeed it can, there will be several heart attacks and deaths caused by clearing snow away from paths/drives etc.

I have to be a bit careful, not only over the 55 mark, but also have a damaged/dodgy ticker from a previous heart attack.

I just do what I feel comfortable with and if it takes me a while so be it, the secret is, for me at any rate, is not to fill the shovel up with to much snow, it's the weight which puts the added strain on the heart, small amounts, less weight, less strain, might take you longer, but safer, well for me it is.

The other mistake folks make IMO is that they try and clear it all away in one go, I have spent 3 days clearing away particular bits of my path/driveway which were needing done, clear away a section and that's me done for the day, then a bit more the next day and so on and so forth.

luckyBatistuta
50 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Is he on your Xmas card list ? 

:laugh: Can you feel my seethe

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thought you were a wee bit younger LB?

Nope, just the big kid in me:clyay:

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed it can, there will be several heart attacks and deaths caused by clearing snow away from paths/drives etc.

I have to be a bit careful, not only over the 55 mark, but also have a damaged/dodgy ticker from a previous heart attack.

I just do what I feel comfortable with and if it takes me a while so be it, the secret is, for me at any rate, is not to fill the shovel up with to much snow, it's the weight which puts the added strain on the heart, small amounts, less weight, less strain, might take you longer, but safer, well for me it is.

The other mistake folks make IMO is that they try and clear it all away in one go, I have spent 3 days clearing away particular bits of my path/driveway which were needing done, clear away a section and that's me done for the day, then a bit more the next day and so on and so forth.

Good points. 

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:laugh: Can you feel my seethe

Nope, just the big kid in me:clyay:

Ah well, must have got the Sciennes and Boroughmuir dates wrong.

Happy birthday come Monday ya big juvenile. :wink:

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Morgan said:

Ah well, must have got the Sciennes and Boroughmuir dates wrong.

Happy birthday come Monday ya big juvenile. :wink:

Thanks buddy :thumb:

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My old boy is 80 this year and he cleared the snow from his back door to his car, and then the car park to the road to get his car out of the little scheme he stays in.

Mind you if you told him not to do it as he'd run the chance of a heart attack he'd probably say as long as it's quick, it doesn't bother him.

:laugh::laugh:

After she checked the insurance policy.

Insurance policy's usually stacked at the back of the file organiser, they were all to the fore. The bint still loves me...I think. :sterb147:

One side of my street has been cleared of snow, one side still snowy. 

Guess which side has people sliding all over the place? If you're going to clear snow put some salt down as well or it just freezes into black ice until the temperatures go up a bit more. 

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I refuse to clear my drive, which starts out shared, then splits off up to each house. My neighbour can’t get his car out, but I can, as I’ve got a 4x4. He can go #### himself, if he thinks I’m helping him out. He is an erse of the highest order, he’s fell out with pretty much every neighbour in our street and everyone hates him, so he can...:bolt:

Sounds like the polish 'c u next tuesday' at my bit. He's arrogant, constantly opens his door onto other cars causing dents,  and shouts at people to get his way. 

Anyway, everyone has been helping each other, pushing cars out in the snow clearing paths etc... , but not one person helped when he couldn't get his car with stupidly wide wheels out of the car park. The dick spent a couple of hours digging to a clear path to get out and the idiot still got stuck, much to my delight. 

The point in my story is if you're an arse to others, people will be arse to you. :D

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

Sounds like the polish 'c u next tuesday' at my bit. He's arrogant, constantly opens his door onto other cars causing dents,  and shouts at people to get his way. 

Anyway, everyone has been helping each other, pushing cars out in the snow clearing paths etc... , but not one person helped when he couldn't get his car with stupidly wide wheels out of the car park. The dick spent a couple of hours digging to a clear path to get out and the idiot still got stuck, much to my delight. 

The point in my story is if you're an arse to others, people will be arse to you. :D

Exactly mate, treat others how you would expect to be treated. I do like the fact that when it’s bad like this with snow, you do get the vast majority of people going out of their way to help each other, brings a smile to your face:D

37 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

An elderly couple in West Linton have finally been freed after their house was surrounded by 12ft snow drifts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-43271653

They're customers of ours. Their house is up a track near the top of a hill, surrounded be fields and really exposed to drifting snow. Thankfully they're OK and staying with friends. 

They're a nice couple :)

Search Tweed Valley Mountain Rescue and you'll see a video of it. 

The Future's Maroon
1 hour ago, Col1874 said:

I am not (always) a violent person, currently barred from my local (I'm innocent), if a tit like that rolled up my street either he or his car would be underwater with concrete shoes on!

I have a question for any teachers on here. We've been looking after our neice from Germany the last 8 weeks and she's been registered at the local primary school. She was supposed to fly home today but her mum wasn't able to fly over here to escort her back, so she's with us for another week. 

Will she still be able to go to school tomorrow? The missus is concerned that they'll say no as she was only registered to go for the last 8 weeks and they may not be insured to take her. 

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Still tanning it down in the Borders.  It’s relentless.

Yip, here in Innerleithen as well, mind it was forecast there would be heavy snowfalls for today, mostly over the higher ground, which pretty much means most of the Borders.

Fraggle Rock

Decided to dig the car out yesterday  and go shopping for food, i got out my street no problem but got stuck in my street on the way back, 1 neighbour (Polish woman) on her way back from the corner shop offered to push :oohmatron::ruiner: and then another Polish neighbour came out to help, but there was S*** loads of curtain twitchers and a Royal Mail van and a Next Delivery van  that just sat watching my attempt to get free. To top it all off some fecker was in the parking space i spent 30 mins clearing to get out off earlier. 

I managed to get parked in the next street but that was a struggle so i did not even attempt to get the car out today for me to drive the wife to work.

Thank you my Polish friends and feck you to the others.

Mon the Hearts.

Archived