The Beast from the East

Swanny17

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Flow usually drops with combo boilers from memory. However, if no water coming out suggest a frozen pipe between and boiler.

If so keep heating on 24/7 as you should in this weather anyway. 

If water if flowing but not heating try try leaving water running at low flow. However, I suspect it’s the former from the right wing troll deeside ;-)

1 hour ago, deesidejambo said:

It’s probably the evil Tories who have done it.

they love sneaking around blocking Trots water pipes.

Appreciate your concerns Comrades. 

More importantly the red wine is finished. 

Bawz. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nucky Thompson
21 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

My daughter, who is a nurse, is being collected tomorrow morning very early by a senior consultant at her hospital, to do her shift. 

She is expecting to be at the hospital for three days. 

Not a word of complaint. She just wants to do her job.

We are proud of her.

Good on her mate. I don't think she'll have to stay 3 days though as the worst of the weather for Scotland passes tomorrow morning

23 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

My daughter, who is a nurse, is being collected tomorrow morning very early by a senior consultant at her hospital, to do her shift. 

We are proud of her.

Toyota western are doing a service for nhs staff buddy.

Just in case your daughters lift struggles.

The Mrs used it today.

davemclaren
30 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

We are proud of her.

Nice one Jon.  ?

gashauskis9

It’s at times like these when you remember that for every tit in society there at least 1000 good folk.

Some truly inspirational stuff happening out there.

19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Good on her mate. I don't think she'll have to stay 3 days though as the worst of the weather for Scotland passes tomorrow morning

Once it passes the stuff that’s fallen doesn’t disappear mate.

Dagger Is Back
42 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

As you should. We don't come even close to appreciating what they do 'til the unfortunate day we find ourselves needing them. Paid sweeties and these days patronizingly called heroes, along with firemen, cops and a host of other essential service workers. If they are "heroes" then pay them in line with the title. :mad:

Or am I being both cynical and naive? 

Sums it up perfectly for me. We get them on the cheap for sure.

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'll pass on your messages to her folks.

She will be suitably embarrassed and annoyed at her Dad. 

:phface:

Selfless people usually are but, deep down she will have a great feeling of pride. So she should.

7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

She works at Forth Valley Royal in Lsrbert, Jake. 

Hopefully things will improve for her to get a train, home. 

But with three days on she may just stay in Lsrbert.

Sound mate.

Jambo-Jimbo
40 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

We are proud of her.

And that's pretty much the same with most of them, they love the job, even all the pressure, the crap wages, and often treated like shit by the management but they still love the job.

I couldn't do it, not a chance and I've often asked the wife why she puts up with it all and she says it's because of the patients, that's why she does it, of course she would like more money, but it's her patients she does it for.

Mine's works in a Stroke Unit so some of the patients who come in are very very Ill indeed and she's said that nothing gives her greater pleasure when weeks or months later that patient walks out of the ward, because the nurses are on that journey with that patient as well, they have invested many many hours, weeks, months sometimes in trying to get that patient better and when it all comes off the nurses feel delighted and I suppose a sense of achievement that they, have helped to make a difference and often that's what they took up nursing for in the first place, to help people, to try and make a difference, however in saying that on the other side of the coin, how she can deal with death on a near daily basis is beyond me, how they can deal and cope with that, that really takes a special type of person.

They could double their wages and it still wouldn't be enough for what they are truly worth.

Can I also throw some praise the way of council carers, making sure that the old and vulnerable are looked after, delivering fantastic service to their service users, the organisers and coordinators who have worked tirelessly to ensure that everything is covered. 

As for their manager...... Sorry guys  ut I genuinely am stuck at home

132goals1958
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And that's pretty much the same with most of them, they love the job, even all the pressure, the crap wages, and often treated like shit by the management but they still love the job.

I couldn't do it, not a chance and I've often asked the wife why she puts up with it all and she says it's because of the patients, that's why she does it, of course she would like more money, but it's her patients she does it for.

Mine's works in a Stroke Unit so some of the patients who come in are very very Ill indeed and she's said that nothing gives her greater pleasure when weeks or months later that patient walks out of the ward, because the nurses are on that journey with that patient as well, they have invested many many hours, weeks, months sometimes in trying to get that patient better and when it all comes off the nurses feel delighted and I suppose a sense of achievement that they, have helped to make a difference and often that's what they took up nursing for in the first place, to help people, to try and make a difference, however in saying that on the other side of the coin, how she can deal with death on a near daily basis is beyond me, how they can deal and cope with that, that really takes a special type of person.

They could double their wages and it still wouldn't be enough for what they are truly worth.

Could not agree more.My niece stayed overnight in the care- home where she works last night to ensure she had no problems today. She looks after dementia patients and is totally committed to her job. As you rightly say people in this sector have special qualities and imo are generally under- valued.

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Highways and Byways said:

Once it passes the stuff that’s fallen doesn’t disappear mate.

The main roads should be clear though

Much of the Edinburgh area will depend upon bus transportation especially as many can't get out of the side roads to reach the main streets which may be clearer with their cars

I shall certainly try to get to work to look after my elderly customers risking it all for the benefit of others..............................................pensions don't look after themselves

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The main roads should be clear though

Getting on to the main roads tho.

Our side road was hard packed snow this afternoon after a snowplough had been over it a couple of times, now it's back up to around 4 or 5 inches of snow, mainly due to the drifting.

Unknown user

We've been stuck in a Newcastle hotel all day - what are our chances of driving up safely tomorrow Beast watchers?

heartsfc_fan

Had to knock these bad boys off the guttering before they would impale the dug doing her business in the garden.

Pretty impressive though! Over two feet long.

IMG_20180301_090936.jpg

Mrs JH took the hairdryer to the condensate pipe under the boiler in the hall. Reset the boiler and all good again. Leaving it on high tonight.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We've been stuck in a Newcastle hotel all day - what are our chances of driving up safely tomorrow Beast watchers?

Probably better to leave it another day until Saturday, if you can.

Because the Carter Bar on the A68 is closed and south of Jedburgh also and the A1 at Berwick-upon-Tweed is also closed (Southbound) according to the Traffic Scotland website, but if the southbound carriageway is shut, what condition is the northbound in.  https://trafficscotland.org/

Go to current incidents of the website for more info.

My mother-in-law has advanced Alzheimer’s and no carers could get to her today, nor could we due to the lack of transport amongst other things. My wife posted on a local Facebook page and 27 wonderful people replied offering to assist. She’s now had a GP and a nurse visit her to give her food and administer medication. There really is some wonderful people out there. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Swanny17 said:

My mother-in-law has advanced Alzheimer’s and no carers could get to her today, nor could we due to the lack of transport amongst other things. My wife posted on a local Facebook page and 27 wonderful people replied offering to assist. She’s now had a GP and a nurse visit her to give her food and administer medication. There really is some wonderful people out there. 

That's really nice to hear mate, you must be relieved 

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, graygo said:

FFS, the local co-op shut at 4pm to let the selfish staff get home and she's refusing to walk the paltry couple of miles to Tranent.  :seething: 

Whisky it is then.

Co-op might have nowt to sell due to the lack of drivers making it in to deliver, our warehouse is stuffed with orders going nowhere.

3 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

Co-op might have nowt to sell due to the lack of drivers making it in to deliver, our warehouse is stuffed with orders going nowhere.

I heard that it looked like it had been ransacked. I was only wanting some beer though - any beer, I'm not fussy.

We, as a nation are a bit daft and useless... I was driving around today with winter tyres on my wife's car which is a 2003 Toyota Corolla - no bother at all. Going up hills that taxis, useless BMWs and even 4x4s & SUVs with wrong tyres were sliding back down...winter tyres are also great in heavy rain which we get plenty of, so it is not just for snow. I've had them for 7 years using them from start Nov to Easter and they've been well worth the £500 for tyres and 4 steel wheels. I just change them myself, take about 45 mins to do all 4 with an hand jack.

Dagger Is Back
58 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Sonetimes your faith in humanity is rightfully restored

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Saw this on pussbook, not sure if of any use.

Capture.JPG

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

We, as a nation are a bit daft and useless... I was driving around today with winter tyres on my wife's car which is a 2003 Toyota Corolla - no bother at all. Going up hills that taxis, useless BMWs and even 4x4s & SUVs with wrong tyres were sliding back down...winter tyres are also great in heavy rain which we get plenty of, so it is not just for snow. I've had them for 7 years using them from start Nov to Easter and they've been well worth the £500 for tyres and 4 steel wheels. I just change them myself, take about 45 mins to do all 4 with an hand jack.

Good post. I had been tempted to get winter tyres since the last time i got stuck but didn't do so. Will do now. 

Francis Albert

On a lighter note (in a way) I just heard on the BBC news that rough sleepers are "turning to drink" because of the cold. Accompanied by film of a sleeping bag with half a dozen bottles of booze around it.

The Future's Maroon
Just now, Francis Albert said:

On a lighter note (in a way) I just heard on the BBC news that rough sleepers are "turning to drink" because of the cold. Accompanied by film of a sleeping bag with half a dozen bottles of booze around it.

Good luck to the homeless in this shit, nowhere near the same but my cat (housecat) was cuddled up under the radiator and I said to the mrs....**** being an outdoor/stray cat in this shit!

As said, not the same by miles, hopefully the homeless are ok....horrible to say but this daft weather WILL kill folk unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Winter tyres on your car (not a 4x4?) performed better than (numerous) 4x4s?

Of course we could do more but I’m not having winter tyres on a 2wd out doing ANY tyres on a 4wd.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

You up visiting? Unlucky getting stuck in Scotland, & Greater London area getting it too.

Might be a longer visit than planned!

Getting bored with the snow now TBH. 

Co-op in Port Seton has ran out of Bread, Milk, Cheese, Eggs, Meat, Pizza and the shelves look like they have been raped. 

If this was to keep up for over a week I seriously think there would be civil unrest. 

Having driven all, in some ridiculous conditions, I’ll disagree respectfully.

Traction on all 4 corners is the difference.

Maybe one day I’ll read the magazine.

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

My wife(nurse) is getting picked up by someone from SPEnergy for her early tomorrow.(same health board as your daughter).

She is off the weekend and wont be offering to stay for the next few days!!!

heartsfc_fan
42 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Who can blame them...just opened the whisky

(Serious)

Btw still trying to workout what automobile your drive...

Francis Albert
16 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Who can blame them...just opened the whisky

(Serious)

Btw still trying to workout what automobile your drive...

I awarded you the prize this morning. A second hand jaguar cheaper than second hand Kia SUV's. I don't regret the choice ... but winter tyres if and when I make it home!

And I certainly don't blame them! Stuck in a hotel all day is enough to drive me to drink!

heartsfc_fan
14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I awarded you the prize this morning. A second hand jaguar cheaper than second hand Kia SUV's. I don't regret the choice ... but winter tyres if and when I make it home!

And I certainly don't blame them! Stuck in a hotel all day is enough to drive me to drink!

? Haha fair enough

The Future's Maroon

The amount of idiots on the roads today/tonight....don't you have internet?

I nipped to my local corner shop at 7:45am, three people in the bus stop...I knew I was off so said "haven't you checked, buses are off", got the look I was the devil? Even called a cheeky tit, the time schedule thing also said buses suspended....and I'm the *****, hope you freeze mother****ers ?

1 hour ago, Highways and Byways said:

Having driven all, in some ridiculous conditions, I’ll disagree respectfully.

Traction on all 4 corners is the difference.

Maybe one day I’ll read the magazine.

Loads of these tests been carried out,much the same reults.No point of a 4wd drive if your tyres aint upto the job in hand.

In a recent test by Auto Express Magazine, they tested a Ford Kuga 4WD vs Ford Kuga 2WD, with both Summer tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1) and Winter tyres (Goodyear Ultragrip 8), at Tamworth Snowdome in Staffordshire. They attempted to drive up the Snowdome’s 1-in-7 slope from a standing start, and measured the distance covered in each instance.

The results were surprising:

Vehicle combinationDistance covered

2WD + Summer tyres — 3.3 metres

4WD + Summer tyres — 3.7 metres

2WD + Winter tyres — 110.5 metres

4WD + Winter tyres — 136 metres

John Findlay
24 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

An ig-loo in County Dublin.

000f77bf-521.jpg

I see you still haven't put a hole in the seat^_^.

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Getting bored with the snow now TBH. 

Co-op in Port Seton has ran out of Bread, Milk, Cheese, Eggs, Meat, Pizza and the shelves look like they have been raped. 

If this was to keep up for over a week I seriously think there would be civil unrest. 

We're only a couple of weeks of "chaos" away from it. (seriously) Every man for himself (I'd be screwed) and this veneer of civilisation would go right oot the windae.

Would not be a pretty sight.

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Duplicate doom-ridden post. :ninja:

Buses still suspended, next review at 9am.

Another snow day for me, then :smiliz46:

I can't stand another day in the house. If my office is open, I'm driving in. 

I can't get anything done with the family around. Everyone is getting cabin fever. 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Peebo said:

This is not good. I wonder what has to happen to get buses back up and running?

What exactly is the problem? Is it the main roads? Side streets? It’s clearly not a lack of drivers.  Current and expected weather conditions? Combination of all?

Bit of a rant but MIL is seriously ill at the WG and we can’t get in to see her.

This didn’t happen in 2010 so why the difference?

The snow has drifted a lot up here west lothian last night, I just about got stranded on the road heading down to Blackburn. The road has turned in to one lane and with cars coming in both directions it is not good for having to stop and start. If it is like that everywhere then I can see why there will be major problems today traveling.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Peebo said:

another walk for me then:smile:

13 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

This is not good. I wonder what has to happen to get buses back up and running?

What exactly is the problem? Is it the main roads? Side streets? It’s clearly not a lack of drivers.  Current and expected weather conditions? Combination of all?

Bit of a rant but MIL is seriously ill at the WG and we can’t get in to see her.

This didn’t happen in 2010 so why the difference?

I lived abroad in 2010 - came home at a Christmas (after many delays) and snow was bad throughout (my dad had to help dig the taxi out when I was heading to airport to leave) - and I’ve never seen anything like this.

The snow where I am is unrelenting. I think main roads (eg Lanark Road) are being cleared, but many others just covered in layers of snow. I suspect it’s just a symptom of ongoing horrible conditions, and the limit to number of drivers able to get in to drive the buses. Also, cancelling the buses will encourage people to stay at home...which is, of course, unhelpful for people who need to travel, like yourself. 

Archived