Jamie Walker joins Wigan (updated)

Beats

He's a player we should have been getting a million + for,  instead rangers/agent turned his head - coincided with that turnip Cathro and injuries and a near total drop in form.

A great player for us and part of the young team that helped us survive when we couldn't even pay players /relegate hibs / win promotion at the first time of asking. 

Thanks and best of luck with the future.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Spencer

• It should have been ten

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Looks like he is away then.

Thanks for the memories Jamie and good luck at Wigan.  With the famous Hearts surname I wanted him to lift a trophy for us but not to be.   Maybe at some point in the future - you never know in football.

GorgieRules22
Just now, Gigolo-Aunt said:

Looks like he is away then.

Thanks for the memories Jamie and good luck at Wigan.  With the famous Hearts surname I wanted him to lift a trophy for us but not to be.   Maybe at some point in the future - you never know in football.

Well said.

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The answer is more nuanced. Walker is lightyears ahead of Driver in terms of ability, and I think a more naturally skillful player than either Miko or Chesney. But while the highs are higher, the lows are lower. Walker is not only inconsistent, but also plagued by injury. So if it came to it do you want the talent of a Walker or the output of a Driver? It's a tough call but I'd be inclined to say that Driver would be a more productive signing (based on the last 18 months of Walker's form).

I dont think Walker had more natural skill than Miko or Cesny.

Gene Parmesan
Just now, Ryder said:

Certainly debateable, hence why I said "I think". Its an opinion.

6 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

He's a player we should have been getting a million + for,  instead rangers/agent turned his head - coincided with that turnip Cathro and injuries and a near total drop in form.

A great player for us and part of the young team that helped us survive when we couldn't even pay players /relegate hibs / win promotion at the first time of asking. 

Thanks and best of luck with the future.

Cathro may have been to blame for many things but Walker's form has been suspect, as has his attitude, before and after Cathro's tenure.

If he passes a medical one must wonder if all this going down injured was in his head rather than his knee.

It's goodbye from me and if he signs a FoC I hope he gets splinters in his backside from now until the end of the season.

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Fair dues.

Jambof3tornado
41 minutes ago, Chaps said:

We had a 350k bid turned down in the summers so I highly doubt they’ll accept a lower offer.

Wasnt anywhere near 350k offered.

I still like cadden so would love to make another offer if walker goes for cash.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and welcome to debate that of course.

Walker better than Driver is akin to arguing the earth is flat though in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I think they all have/had great natural ability but have flaws in their game that meant they will frustrate the fans more often than not.

I wouldn't fancy playing all 3 in he same midfield, that's for sure.

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Driver was fast, good at escaping his man and making the most of his physical abilities. Walker's touch, game intelligence and passing are considerably better than Driver's are/were. Could Driver play at 10? Absolutely no chance!

I have felt that Walker has been deployed more centrally due to his lack of pace more than anything. 

I think he will find English football a real eye opener IF he goes. Every likelihood he will be in the Championship next season. I just can't see him handling the physical and pace demands of the English game.

Blowing oot his ring after 20 mins up here as it is 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

I think they all have/had great natural ability but have flaws in their game that meant they will frustrate the fans more often than not.

I wouldn't fancy playing all 3 in he same midfield, that's for sure.

No, absolutely not. Neither would I. It was hard enough trying to accommodate Miko and Cesny.

3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Dunno about 'natural skill' whatever that is, but Walker with his read right is/was/will be a far better player than Miko or Cesny

Unfortunately his head hasn't been right for most of his career with a few short periods  of clarity thrown in.

Just now, Escobar PHM said:

Dunno about 'natural skill' whatever that is, but Walker with his read right is/was/will be a far better player than Miko or Cesny

Unfortunately his head hasn't been right for most of his career with a few short periods  of clarity thrown in.

Yeah, disagree about that. Personally think Miko and Cesny were both better players.

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

No, absolutely not. Neither would I. It was hard enough trying to accommodate Miko and Cesny.

Our very own Lampard/Gerrard conundrum

Gene Parmesan

Can understand why opinions on Walker are so clouded by his last year or so of performances.

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

Yeah, disagree about that. Personally think Miko and Cesny were both better players.

I'd say that if either of them had been up to the physicality of the Scottish game they'd have become legends. As it was they are both pretty forgettable sideshows of the Romanov era.

The fact that Wigan are in a fight for the title might force their hand to buy him now . 

Hopefully the injury isn't to bad and we can get the 300k for him and let's not kid ourselves here Wigan are getting a very good player for shit pence . 

This deal could be very important on the type of player we can bring in this window . Looks a reasonable deal for both parties in the circumstances, let's hope it goes through . 

3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I was a fan of both players. Cesny's goal against Celtic in the league cup defeat was an amazing finish and Miko banged in a few decent goals v Hibs & Celtic.

Despite their questionable defensive abilities and our revolving door of Kaunus players maybe skewing opinion, I thought both done pretty well for us when they played.

Btw - good luck to Jamie Walker in his move to Wigan. I hope it works out for him.

Just now, Escobar PHM said:

I'd say that if either of them had been up to the physicality of the Scottish game they'd have become legends. As it was they are both pretty forgettable sideshows of the Romanov era.

Seems a bit harsh to me. Cesny’s goal v Partick in the Scottish Cup QF, The general impact they had when they joined Robbo’s team and suddenly started forcing teams on to the back foot with their pace and skill, Miko in the 3-2 derby and his goal to make it 4 in the Burley demolition derby. More than a sideshow for me. Also would question Walker being more physically capable than Miko. Just as some claim I and others have clouded memories about Walker, I think others have a clouded memory of Miko.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I was not a Miko fan. Very disappointing player and often, when it did go right it was very good, just nowhere near often enough.

Walker would have done more in that team, and that is the sad transcript to Jamie Walkers time with Hearts, he for the most part had to do it, playing with average players, Driver and Miko both had the luxury of being surrounded by a decent level.

Jamie Walker would have been a Hearts star in other times. Be in no doubt of that, despite the sad end to his time.

KyleLafferty

Miko and chesney have won a Scottish cup and played in the Champions league qualifiers, more than Jamie Walker has or will do in his career.

Dalstonjambo
25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Driver was fast, good at escaping his man and making the most of his physical abilities. Walker's touch, game intelligence and passing are considerably better than Driver's are/were. Could Driver play at 10? Absolutely no chance!

Driver was in the squad of an England U21 team that got to a major final they only lost on penalties. JW has barely played for Scotland youth teams during what is our poorest ever international era. Think that tells you all you need to know re relative abilities. 

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

I was not a Miko fan. Very disappointing player and often, when it did go right it was very good, just nowhere near often enough.

Walker would have done more in that team, and that is the sad transcript to Jamie Walkers time with Hearts, he for the most part had to do it, playing with average players, Driver and Miko both had the luxury of being surrounded by a decent level.

Jamie Walker would have been a Hearts star in other times. Be in no doubt of that, despite the sad end to his time.

Disagree with that too. The rest of the league was also much better back then, they were doing it against much better teams. Jamie Walker wouldn't have got in those teams ahead of them to become a start imo.

Let's not forget that Jamie Walker wasn't even a star in the Championship despite being in a team much, much better than the majority of teams

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, Spencer said:

That's true. I actually pitied Walker on 27th. His attitude and conduct for a Hearts player was atrocious. To behave like he did in a Derby is a disgrace 

What was the problem on the 27th? My view of his performance that night was that he actually tried hard but simply didn't have it in him, didn't seem to have the legs to be able to take anyone on and go past them. 

Gene Parmesan
4 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Driver was in the squad of an England U21 team that got to a major final they only lost on penalties. JW has barely played for Scotland youth teams during what is our poorest ever international era. Think that tells you all you need to know re relative abilities. 

Walker played every Scotland youth level from Under-15 to Under-21.

Dalstonjambo

Walker played every Scotland youth level from Under-15 to Under-21.

18 games at 6 youth levels. 1 cap at U21. And probably as I said before, at our poorest ever time talent wise as a country. 

Edited by Dalstonjambo

5 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Driver was also subject to several failed bids of £3M etc and that was 10 years ago. Walker never was, and likely never will be.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/8772390.stm

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, Chaps said:

We had a 350k bid turned down in the summers so I highly doubt they’ll accept a lower offer.

I thought we were reported to have only offered £100k for him and that Motherwell were reported to be looking for around £350k? Maybe my memory letting me down of course!

30 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I have felt that Walker has been deployed more centrally due to his lack of pace more than anything. 

I think he will find English football a real eye opener IF he goes. Every likelihood he will be in the Championship next season. I just can't see him handling the physical and pace demands of the English game.

Blowing oot his ring after 20 mins up here as it is 

I wouldn't think he'll need to worry too much about lasting more than 20 minutes down there - he'll spend most games sat on his backside warming the bench if he even makes the squad.

Cant see him featuring all that much down there at all. Decent player on his day but I have never really believed the hype around the laddie.

He'll go down there, and I suspect will fail miserably.  

Edited by Erik

4 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

What was the problem on the 27th? My view of his performance that night was that he actually tried hard but simply didn't have it in him, didn't seem to have the legs to be able to take anyone on and go past them. 

He looked to me that he wanted off the park at several opportunities. I agree that he didn't appear to have it in him to go past anyone.

Yet in 6 months time he is potentially playing English Championship 

3 minutes ago, Erik said:

I wouldn't think he'll need to worry too much about lasting more than 20 minutes down there.

Cant see him featuring all that much down there at all. Decent player on his day but I have never really believed the hype around the laddie.

He'll go down there, and I suspect will fail miserably.  

Given he struggles to go past a man in the SPL, he'll have a helluva job making any impact in England 

His attitude is the problem as much as anything 

Honestly think he will leave, spend a season or two in league one of England. Fail and be at Killie/Dundee United with his tail between his legs. 

Doesnt have the pace or strength to compete and has a dodgey knee to boot. 

I hope I am wrong. Have no Ill will towards walker. Just don't think he is as good as he thinks. No where near Paterson that's for sure. 

maroonnicky63
Just now, Ryder said:

I always find it hilarious when people ignore consistently innefctive performances and blame people’s frustrations instead on the fact a player doesn’t want to be here.

it's called form and every single player goes through it. I don't believe for a minute that any professional player at hearts would deliberately go out not to play well.

Jamie has had inconsistencies just like all players it just so happens that some fans are having a dig saying he doesn't care or he isn't trying because he wants away IMO that is nonsense. There have been many occasions were he has been put on the pitch where it is clear he is not fit and that has been very evident to me anyway.

FarmerTweedy
6 minutes ago, Spencer said:

He looked to me that he wanted off the park at several opportunities. I agree that he didn't appear to have it in him to go past anyone.

Yet in 6 months time he is potentially an unsed sub in the English Championship 

FTFY! 

scott herbertson
12 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

18 games at 6 youth levels. 1 cap at U21. And probably as I said before, at our poorest ever time talent wise as a country. 

Scored a cracker in that under 21 game but IIRC was too old to play again

Johnny Two Pies

Playing FB with Mikoliunas in front of you must have been a hard shift. He very rarely ventured back into our half when we didn’t  have the ball, preferred watching proceedings from there until we got the ball back. Thought his final ball was poor too, although he did score the odd rasper of a goal. Walker the more talented player for me, but he hasn’t  looked fully fit for a couple of years or so, and has barely kicked a ball since Cathro replaced Neilson.

Edited by Johnny Two Pies

15 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Driver was also subject to several failed bids of £3M etc and that was 10 years ago. Walker never was, and likely never will be.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/8772390.stm

"Brian Laws' side have come back with a bid of £2.5m, potentially rising to £4m, but the Edinburgh club are holding out for £3.5m up front for the winger."

"Dutch champions Twente Enschede claim they had a £3m bid turned down."

:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Walker gone

Sorry to see him go but there was just too much baggage around him.

Delighted he is not off to the Huns - although that may well be his next move.

Hopefully we got a clean £300k (for a striker to replace Laff in the big cup tie!) and a 10% sell on clause.

Best of luch Jamie and thanks for some cracking goals.

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Walker signing for Wigan as I type this spot on 

Good - ha ha to the huns. Hope he does welll - he gave us many enjoyable goals and cameos but it was time to go.

Good result if so.

Gets him out of here, gets us some money to get someone in who wants to be here instead, keeps him away form The Rangers.

A 'Pleasing outcome' as someone once said.

Wish Jamie well. One of my fav players until recent months. Glad he is leaving Scotland and wish him all the best.

However, with no Walker and Laverty for the cup game we need to recruit well in forward positions.  

Good luck to the lad.  Delighted he broadened his horizons outwith Glasgow and hope he makes a success of things down south 

• redm changed the title to Jamie Walker joins Wigan for £300k (updated)
  • davemclaren locked this topic