Levein is not the answer ( merged )

Hood09

51 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I'm suggesting that his job title is still director of football and that's what he is remunerated for and that alone. Ann Budge decided that position came with a seat on the board, the main reason being presumably that no one else on the board had football knowledge and experience and he did.

I'm not sure if he has voting rights or even shares. Board member or not, there are no barriers to getting rid of him apart from what he needs as a pay off.

And as he negotiated himself a nice 3 year contract, that will not be cheap!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• soonbe110

• Hendricks

• Escobar PHM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

And as he negotiated himself a nice 3 year contract, that will not be cheap!

Any manager or player you are dispensing with before the end of their contract is going to cost money that you get no service for. You have to judge whether the best financial course is to pay off and get rid, or tolerate inadequacy until it doesn't cost anything to get rid. I'm afraid there is only one good option where the manager is concerned.

The best outcome here might be to shove him back to DOF or some other made up role we don't really need and with specific duties and tell him to stay out of the new managers face.

There are plenty of ways to 'manage' someone out the door without it costing a fortune. Ann Budge will have done it plenty of times in real life business.

Edited by Escobar PHM

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

I'm suggesting that his job title is still director of football and that's what he is remunerated for and that alone. Ann Budge decided that position came with a seat on the board, the main reason being presumably that no one else on the board had football knowledge and experience and he did.

I'm not sure if he has voting rights or even shares. Board member or not, there are no barriers to getting rid of him apart from what he needs as a pay off.

That's exactly what Ann said in her statement when Levein was announced as coach. He would retain his DOF status.

When does Levein hand Daly the baton and scurry back upstairs. January or June?

Edited by Huguenot

1 minute ago, Huguenot said:

Not any time soon, for the same reasons it didn't happen in August. i.e because Ann Budge knows the fan base wouldn't take it lying down.

5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

To me it's a bit like giving the Captain of the Titanic command of the ship bringing back the survivors.

He is likely to be more motivated than anyone  to rescue them safely. 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He is likely to be more motivated than anyone  to rescue them safely. 

but no more competent than he was when he hit a big feck off iceberg.

15 minutes ago, Huguenot said:

Don’t think it’s Daly and I think the date is November or July. 

5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Was the captain on the bridge when it hit the iceberg?

Honest question. I have no idea and can’t be bothered googling it. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Don’t think it’s Daly and I think the date is November or July. 

I think it's another in house appointment because we clearly cannot recruit externally. 

I'll give it a year from now, if the team can be rebuilt in the summer ( it won' t be rebuilt in Jan that's for sure) CL will have had a gutful of the criticism  and bail out as soon as he can and as soon as the team has improved. 

Just been having a look back over our league record since we the 83/84 season when he first joined us as a player. In the 33 seasons since then we have finished in the top 3 on 12 occasions, so roughly slightly better than once every 3 years. Three of these were when he was either manager or D.O.F., three times in seven seasons, the only manager to do so back to back which stands up against any of the other managers in that time. I'm as frustrated as anyone else with the poor start to this season and the state of the first team squad but a couple of things I don't get;

1/ The hatred shown by some of our support to Levein, I moved seat at the start of last season and when I started talking to the guy next to me one of the first things he told me was how much he hates Levein.

2/ This absolute adherence by some that he is such a bad manager, with Hearts as either manager or D.O.F. we've finished 3rd three times, 5th three times, with Dundee Utd. 9th once (when he started), 5th twice and League Cup runner-up and the season he left half way through to become Scotland manager they finished  3rd and won the Scottish Cup. He also helped set up the youth system to bring through Gauld, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven and the Souttar brothers. I may be wrong but I think the youth setup here is now much better than before though I know there was a low starting point.

Blackie the Cat

We need a Commander not a Field-Marshal.

He doesn't seem to have the fire in his belly anymore for me. 

2 hours ago, Macros said:

Just been having a look back over our league record since we the 83/84 season when he first joined us as a player. In the 33 seasons since then we have finished in the top 3 on 12 occasions, so roughly slightly better than once every 3 years. Three of these were when he was either manager or D.O.F., three times in seven seasons, the only manager to do so back to back which stands up against any of the other managers in that time. I'm as frustrated as anyone else with the poor start to this season and the state of the first team squad but a couple of things I don't get;

1/ The hatred shown by some of our support to Levein, I moved seat at the start of last season and when I started talking to the guy next to me one of the first things he told me was how much he hates Levein.

2/ This absolute adherence by some that he is such a bad manager, with Hearts as either manager or D.O.F. we've finished 3rd three times, 5th three times, with Dundee Utd. 9th once (when he started), 5th twice and League Cup runner-up and the season he left half way through to become Scotland manager they finished  3rd and won the Scottish Cup. He also helped set up the youth system to bring through Gauld, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven and the Souttar brothers. I may be wrong but I think the youth setup here is now much better than before though I know there was a low starting point.

Also a point being missed is as DOF he was building squads for Neilson and Cathro and players coming in where under those twos requests.

His signings as manager were very good and it'll be the same this time as he builds his team. He'll also have injured players back and the kids will have more experience. It's a tough ride and yes and it shouldn't be happening but he needs this window.

Edited by Rudy T

2 hours ago, Macros said:

Far too sensible a post for this forum. A good few will now have you  in their sights. 

4 hours ago, Macros said:

1. I dont 'hate' Levein. Ive met him once and he was perfectly pleasant. Ive got no grounds to waste a strong emotion like that on someone I don't know. I don't hate Lennon, Riordan or Boyd or Millar either for the same reason. I don't know anyone who 'hates' the man, and that includes the most vocal of his critics on here. I just don't want him to be Hearts manager because I think he's made a mess that will now take a while to unravel and put right and I don't believe he is the man to do that.

2.Historical stats and successes, some going way back, some at other clubs, have absolutely zero relevance to how he has performed in the DOF role and the head coach role to date and how he will do going forward. Historical stats never won a thing in their life. Levein never won a thing in his life funnily enough.

You make decent enough points about where Hearts tend to finish. Decent seasons tend to follow bad seasons and vice versa. But you have to look at the environment we are playing in now. There are 2 decent teams in this league. One is untouchable, the other is and has been on a bit of a crest lately. We, Hearts, should be finishing 3rd as a given in this environment and reeling Aberdeen back in as we get more revenue coming in. At this stage, we're not as good as Hibs, Rangers, Motherwell (debatably) and ANY of the rest could beat us if they get in amongst us.Those are NOT good teams and ordinarily we wouldn't see them in our way. Even catching up with Hibs and Rangers needs a 2 window overhaul on our part. AND A NEW MANAGER starting from scratch IMO.

Edited by Escobar PHM

4 hours ago, Macros said:

Please don't let facts get in the way of some people's prejudices. We also scored more goals per season under him than almost any other modern manager.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Was the captain on the bridge when it hit the iceberg?

Honest question. I have no idea and can’t be bothered googling it. 

No, but he ignored earlier warnings from other ships.

He was in bed.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Blackie the Cat said:

We need a Commander not a Field-Marshal.

He doesn't seem to have the fire in his belly anymore for me. 

We need a swan not a duck.

1 minute ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

No, but he ignored earlier warnings from other ships.

He was in bed.

He got up though to be fair to him. Half the crew were injured and most of the rest were just young boys.He said 'Up until then it had been a great voyage and we were looking good, but you just can't compete against icebergs when you've got injuries like we had.'

5 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I think it's another in house appointment because we clearly cannot recruit externally. 

I'll give it a year from now, if the team can be rebuilt in the summer ( it won' t be rebuilt in Jan that's for sure) CL will have had a gutful of the criticism  and bail out as soon as he can and as soon as the team has improved. 

Nobody currently at the club is capable of sorting out the first team. Along with the previous 2 managers, the recruitment policy has been disgraceful, with a few, exceptions.  The decision to release certain players, along with the reasons given to fans, was equally as bad. We are now left with a squad that is bereft of pace and width. Michael Stewart summed it up perfectly on Sunday while CL tried to blame the defeat on an injury to a player who had contributed next to nothing in the game. We need a clear out of coaches and a fresh pair of eyes, with sole responsibility for the first team, in order for us to progress. It will probably be the summer before that can happen because this season can effectively be written off, the opening of our superb new stand excepted.

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

Please don't let facts get in the way of some people's prejudices. We also scored more goals per season under him than almost any other modern manager.

Like any other manager there will always be differing opinions over how we were and how we played while Craig Levein was manager first time round tcjambo. I had no complaints at the time, i didn't think we were overly defensive, I was conscious there was focus on making sure we had a solid defence, but that in itself didn't determine we had to play defensive. To me he was just looking to make sure that if we did have to defend in games we had the players in place to do it. Right from the outset, following Ann's arrival and her subsequent discussion with Craig, and his appointment as DoF, I did feel a little bit uncomfortable with a lot of changes to the football club being implemented all at once. What I hoped for was that we would learn from the way we played and won many games in the Championship, and build on that when we re-entered the top league. To me there was no need to change a style of play that the players seemed to enjoy, the fans certainly enjoyed and we were good at. I felt it would have been better to get the football side of the business functioning again before thinking about other things. Whether we as fans agree on it or not the dismissal of Ian Cathro and the introduction of Craig Levein is manager is a signal that trying to perform that rebuilding using inexperienced managers was a mistake. What I worry about now, having become aware that Craig neither wanted or wants to be head coach, is that he no lnger has the impetus to perform in the management role at the same level he did in his first spell. If his heart isn't actually in the job it does suggest that the chances that he won't succeed increase, I guess it is the same in any line of employment. If anyone is only doing a job for the sake of it the job in itself becomes a struggle.  Would I like to see Craig Levein being successful, absolutely 100%, because if he is successful the football side of our business will also be successful. But I just have my doubts that in terms of being head coach he will be able to achieve what he did first time round.

We are just a badly run organisation with a lot of stuff going on. New stand getting built, playing away from home, money is tight, the Cathro experiment that went horribly wrong and a weak squad. There's a long way to go before things will come good. Have some patience. 

43 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Nobody currently at the club is capable of sorting out the first team. Along with the previous 2 managers, the recruitment policy has been disgraceful, with a few, exceptions.  The decision to release certain players, along with the reasons given to fans, was equally as bad. We are now left with a squad that is bereft of pace and width. Michael Stewart summed it up perfectly on Sunday while CL tried to blame the defeat on an injury to a player who had contributed next to nothing in the game. We need a clear out of coaches and a fresh pair of eyes, with sole responsibility for the first team, in order for us to progress. It will probably be the summer before that can happen because this season can effectively be written off, the opening of our superb new stand excepted.

Couldn't hsve put it better myself, well done. You may well get a few pelters mind especially for daring to suggest Michael Stewart was bsng on.

If Hearts had signed good players for our weakest positions we probably wouldn't have so many problems with Levein. The past 28 months have seen us sign too many players that are just not good enough for Cowdenbeath let alone Hearts. Some contracts of 2 to 3 years that just don't make sense. 

My question for Craig Levein is : Do you understand how much money you have squandered on bad signings.

I also have a question for all my fellow Hearts fans :  Do you think Craig Levein is clever enough to be Hearts manager.

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Couldn't hsve put it better myself, well done. You may well get a few pelters mind especially for daring to suggest Michael Stewart was bsng on.

Michael Stewart has a habit of being horribly wrong or horribly right. Identifying the loss of Walker as the  game changer is laughable by Levein. 

8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

If Hearts had signed good players for our weakest positions we probably wouldn't have so many problems with Levein. The past 28 months have seen us sign too many players that are just not good enough for Cowdenbeath let alone Hearts. Some contracts of 2 to 3 years that just don't make sense. 

My question for Craig Levein is : Do you understand how much money you have squandered on bad signings.

I also have a question for all my fellow Hearts fans :  Do you think Craig Levein is clever enough to be Hearts manager.

I actually think he's a bit 'old school' now. He reminds me of Jefferies second time around. It was like he thought it was still the 80's and 90's when football was so much simpler and talent was enough. Levein is similar this time around. Things we were doing when Levein was first a manager just don't cut it in this league now. Its all about pace and power and strength and width. We've hardly got any players who have those characteristics.We don't seem to produce them that way (Paterson being the notable exception) and we don't seem to sign them that way. Clever little footballers get eaten alive in this league now and we've got a fair few of that type.

Edited by Escobar PHM

14 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

We can all see the problems Mitch just think a run of “hame gemmes” can hopefully turn things around a bit. If not then yes he would need to go, but don’t fancy Daly or Fox either!!

If you keep Levein you get the bootroom. Liverpool did i once Shanks started it but it ended with Dalglish. I know after Souness Evans became manager but that was it. When a manager leaves a club it has to be the best candidate gets the job not the DOF's mate.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Time will tell. I don't see any way that CL would take the role and then the club would appoint an "outsider".  CL will mould the new team , McPhee will be part of that process  and he will get the benefit of being part of the rebuilding process. IMO. The thought of CL not succeeding in this and then an outsider  coming in  is a depressing prospect not just in terms of what it means in terms of lack of success/progress but it will mean the whole ethos of the club was wrong and has failed.  Succcess this season will simply be a top 6 finish - but you won't hear the club make any claims about what constitutes success (how long is it since the club pissed money away in a chase for 2nd spot ?).  A top 6 finish this season ,   make over in the summer 2018 and a good start  will see CL out sharpish IMO. 

If he doesn't achieve this (as a minimum) he will be toast - the fans will not accept it.  The thought that in 2018 we would be as piss poor as we are now is not acceptable and I hope he has been told that. Of course all bets are off if the stand  becomes a millstone in terms of negative impact on resources.  The club is going to  have to be very creative in getting people into Tynecastle  this season and next because the current football will not do it. 

17 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

:laugh:

11 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

He got up though to be fair to him. Half the crew were injured and most of the rest were just young boys.He said 'Up until then it had been a great voyage and we were looking good, but you just can't compete against icebergs when you've got injuries like we had.'

:thumbsup:

jack D and coke

Just checking in on this thread to see if Steve Clarke is still the business after a few folk mentioned him being a class appointment? 

:muggy: 

12 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

1. I dont 'hate' Levein. Ive met him once and he was perfectly pleasant. Ive got no grounds to waste a strong emotion like that on someone I don't know. I don't hate Lennon, Riordan or Boyd or Millar either for the same reason. I don't know anyone who 'hates' the man, and that includes the most vocal of his critics on here. I just don't want him to be Hearts manager because I think he's made a mess that will now take a while to unravel and put right and I don't believe he is the man to do that.

2.Historical stats and successes, some going way back, some at other clubs, have absolutely zero relevance to how he has performed in the DOF role and the head coach role to date and how he will do going forward. Historical stats never won a thing in their life. Levein never won a thing in his life funnily enough.

You make decent enough points about where Hearts tend to finish. Decent seasons tend to follow bad seasons and vice versa. But you have to look at the environment we are playing in now. There are 2 decent teams in this league. One is untouchable, the other is and has been on a bit of a crest lately. We, Hearts, should be finishing 3rd as a given in this environment and reeling Aberdeen back in as we get more revenue coming in. At this stage, we're not as good as Hibs, Rangers, Motherwell (debatably) and ANY of the rest could beat us if they get in amongst us.Those are NOT good teams and ordinarily we wouldn't see them in our way. Even catching up with Hibs and Rangers needs a 2 window overhaul on our part. AND A NEW MANAGER starting from scratch IMO.

Ok, so you personally don't hate the guy, like you I find the amount of energy hating someone takes as being wasteful and not worth it, I quoted the guy who sat next to me, I've since moved seats again as I couldn't be bothered listening to his bile constantly through every game win, lose or draw. There are many on here who would blame Levein if it started raining or they stood in dog s**t.

Yes historical facts/stats are just that but they do give a base from which to make decisions about what to expect from him and his teams, they are over a number of years and have relevance as they are in Scotland. He was on the board of Dundee Utd. as a de-facto D.O.F. as well and is credited by many there as the man who helped set up their successful youth system.

I don't get the idea that finishing third should be a given, especially at the moment. Rangers will always have a budget bigger than ours, look at their expenditure over the summer, whether their coach was any good or not would you not have liked to see at least some of their buys here? Aberdeen have a manager who's been settled for a number of years and have been able to attract some very good signings, loan and permanent, some of these signings are where I have a problem with our club as I think we missed, or at least were never linked to, players who would have been a big improvement on what is here. Why did this happen? I have no idea but I would doubt they didn't come here because of the D.O.F. and we haven't been fully in position to go head-to-head with them in the transfer market as we were coming out of admin, moving up from the Championship and then had a new stand to build. If we are still in this kind of situation next season then I will be shouting for change but not at the moment.

So, lets say Milinkovic, once he's up to speed can fill the Jamie Walker role. I think the consensus is that Prince is not good enough at this level anymore. We need at least one midfielder with pace for the centre of the park who can receive and give the ball to our forwards and at least one more winger/left or right mid player. Our squad is too small to cope with injuries and the youngsters., though close aren't quite ready yet. Hughes and Cowie are experienced but their absence is hurting us and Hughes in particular is absent more often than not.

In my opinion we have to stay in touch with the top six until the window. We are possibly 3 players away from being competitive in this league. The last thing we need is 7 or 8 players again. 3 quality players is all we need but a failure to address the midfield/pace issue will see another season written off.

Levein/McPhee have improved the results, if not the style. The next window is crucial to this season

13 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

So, lets say Milinkovic, once he's up to speed can fill the Jamie Walker role. I think the consensus is that Prince is not good enough at this level anymore. We need at least one midfielder with pace for the centre of the park who can receive and give the ball to our forwards and at least one more winger/left or right mid player. Our squad is too small to cope with injuries and the youngsters., though close aren't quite ready yet. Hughes and Cowie are experienced but their absence is hurting us and Hughes in particular is absent more often than not.

In my opinion we have to stay in touch with the top six until the window. We are possibly 3 players away from being competitive in this league. The last thing we need is 7 or 8 players again. 3 quality players is all we need but a failure to address the midfield/pace issue will see another season written off.

Levein/McPhee have improved the results, if not the style. The next window is crucial to this season

We have said this for the last 3 windows!

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

We have said this for the last 3 windows!

Same as ever other club the world over then.

First 8 league games under Cathro = 10 points.

First 8 League games under Levein = 11 points.

Not the big improvement is it. (Cathro had both old firm away and Rangers at home)

17 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Same as ever other club the world over then.

Are you saying every other Club in the world needs to comprehensively re-vamp their squad every window???

5 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Not the big improvement is it. (Cathro had both old firm away and Rangers at home)

:11300:

Just now, Thomaso said:

Are you saying every other Club in the world needs to comprehensively re-vamp their squad every window???

No, this window is crucial to this season was what you highlighted, same as every club the world over is what I said. Not difficult to understand really.

7 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

No, this window is crucial to this season was what you highlighted, same as every club the world over is what I said. Not difficult to understand really.

Not the point I was making - for the last few windows our squad was such a shambles that we needed to bring a whole host of new players in, and punt recently signed dross.  Not difficult to understand really.

40 minutes ago, Gambo said:

BOOM !!!!

32 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

This window isn't going to be crucial for Celtic or Aberdeen and unlikely to be crucial for Hibs, Motherwell, St Johnstone. Guess why ?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Part of the problem is that I don't think anyone believes Levein really wanted the job. You don't interview a series of potential head coaches and then suddenly decide that actually, we've already got the best candidate available.

This season is a write off. I can only hope that we'll appoint a proper hungry manager at the end of it.

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:57, Enzo Chiefo said:

Which was a 12 month deal only hours before. I didn't want Levein but he has steadied the ship with a couple of good results. However, he won't win us big games or cups. The first team is crying out for a fresh pair of eyes in terms of tactics and recruitment. 

Spot on Enzo.

12 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

This window isn't going to be crucial for Celtic or Aberdeen and unlikely to be crucial for Hibs, Motherwell, St Johnstone. Guess why ?

Correct - not difficult to understand really........

Bazzas right boot

Folk really advocating sacking a manager of 3 months who hasn't played a game at Tynecastle yet?

2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Folk really advocating sacking a manager of 3 months who hasn't played a game at Tynecastle yet?

I for one have not advocated sacking Levein at this time.  He has been given the task of cleaning up the shite we are in, which is entirely due to his ego driven appointment of Cathro.

As you say we haven't played at Tynecastle, so we need to give him the run of 'real' home games against lower opposition (apart from Well), then assess where we are.

38 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Celtic will be looking for at least a Striker and a centre half which will be crucial to their exploits in the Europa, they may even lose a player or two.

Aberdeen could well be in turmoil with a new manager and potentially players following suit. Could be s crucial time.

The other clubs will always be looking to bolster squads at a crucial part of the season if expectations are to remain top six.

I expect the bottom six teams to attempt to strengthen at a crucial time off the season to avoid a scrap as well.

All basic football stuff and not that difficult to understand.

10 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I for one have not advocated sacking Levein at this time.  He has been given the task of cleaning up the shite we are in, which is entirely due to his ego driven appointment of Cathro.

As you say we haven't played at Tynecastle, so we need to give him the run of 'real' home games against lower opposition (apart from Well), then assess where we are.

We are even too powder puff to even win games at home ,every team below us smells the blood in the water and they will up their game where we can't,we won't beat anyone above us in the table not with the team we have,I'm afraid we are in bigger trouble than people think.

• cosanostra locked this topic