Elvis interviewed (merged)

Never Let Them Forget

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You don't know him though and I think there's an underlying resentment with lots of the haters due to the Celtic connection.

Anyway, say he gets the gig, what will you do? Stay at home in protest? What if he does well, will you be totally spewing with rage?

Your right, I don't know him (well), but I once knew a man who was best friends with him. I know enough :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked with Elvis on his presentation to use at interview last year. Over 4 days it was a pleasure to both work with and learn from such a driven ambitious man. He is obsessive about football and from the content of his presentation he wants his team to play football the correct way. He was neither arrogant or difficult and had time for a few laughs with my family. This is his character off the football pitch. On it you need belief, arrogance and a large dose of it too. I'd be delighted if he was successful, the man is simply obsessive about football and he would prepare the team every match with exactly what is required and how to win. Good luck Elvis.

Very well said met him a few times all he wants to do is talk football

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Oh FFS !!!! Well over the top reaction.

Wait and see the reaction of others. No middle ground with him. As I say my opinions are based on something different to what the mass seethe is about.

Someone said it earlier, I firmly believe he would be the person to bring the current administration to its natural conclusion. Not well either.

Logged back on at lunchtime and enjoying the expected pelters being directed my way for my last post...

Presseley isn't my first choice, but he would be a good appointment and one I'd be happy with.

I maintain he did a good job at Falkirk. They were doomed to relegation when he was appointed manager in March 2010ish. Looking beyond the first team, some of the things he put in place have allowed Falkirk to develop some decent young players through their youth system into their first team and trouser some impressive fees.

But hey, he's a snake for giving the bird to Mad Vlad once...

One thing is for sure. A Hearts side led by Pressley would never roll over against The Tramps.

The biggest thing I'm concerned about is that candidates of Pressley's calibre can, and will be, manipulated by Levein - is this the reason why he, and probably others of the same calibre, are being interviewed?

Budge has mentioned that Hearts will not be taking the same risks as before, however, I would argue that risk is both a positive and a negative - risk is both a danger but also an opportunity. I'd like to think Budge means 'danger' when talking of risk. However, I get the impression that Levein goes for the 'opportunity'.

Steven Pressley, in my opinion, is a dangerous risk. I liked him as a player but as a manager of a club like Hearts, I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced he is capable. His managerial CV speaks for itself. I'd like to see a new manager (McClaren, Freedman or Coyle etc) come in and be given the flexibility to manage things; however, I'm concerned that such an appointment will undermine Craig Levein, which may hamper a more experienced manager coming in. I just hope that Ann budge is acutely aware of such a situation.

While I'm here I'd like to air my frustrations and state that I am also growing increasingly fed up with Hearts' lack of enthusiasm for strengthening the squad. Let's be fair, one of the reasons why we keep losing games is because Jack Hamilton either isn't capable or isn't ready to be No.1; and, the midfield is an utter shambles. There are, of course other issues but these areas are quite literally devoid of anything substantial and we have known about them for a good year.

I understand what Budge means by she "wants the right guy" but there is also a level of urgency about the whole thing. Her comment about "luxury of time" is, in my opinion so far from the truth. Given that the transfer window shuts in a couple of weeks time is certainly NOT a luxury that we have.

I really hope that change is soon because I can't bear another season like the last one.

I can understand Pressley and Hartley being interviewed - great players for us who made their career under Levein. Either would be a poor appointment however.

I've always regarded him as an aloof wankpiece. Chest pump, I'm big enough to ignore that shite, but generally the man is a roaster.

Easiest way to cancel scores of FoH contributions, because it might be the only thing that would stop mine, and that is almost unthinkable to me.

Almost. I really don't like him and its not because he p*ssed off to Celtic and behaved like a disrespectful welt.

This post, like a few others of it's ilk, almost moved me to tears.

And FYI, it's our club I'd be weeping for - certainly not you lot. 

In Pressley's defence, he played like a warrior for whomever he was employed by. That was exactly what he did for Hearts, and why he was revered by us all at that time.

It seems likely he was aggrieved by the way his former employer (Romanov) treated him, and this probably influenced how he felt that day wearing a Celtic shirt, but going back to my first point above, the way he celebrated was not unlike anything he ever did in a Hearts jersey. Call him a footballing serial monogamist (!), but he was faithful to the club currently paying his wages, and in many people's eyes that is truly professional. 

I wish he hadn't done the chest pump thing, but equally, I don't know exactly what memories or past conversations he may or may not have been drawing on at that moment. It's easy to judge.

My residing memory of Pressley remains Falkirk away (2-2, Oct 2005) when he put in a gargantuan performance in scoring two late goals to reclaim an unlikely point having scored an unfortunate own-goal to put us two down.

A Hearts legend.

I'd rather not see him as HC at this time though. 

Good post but won't go down well with some eijits. Anybody with half a brain would realise the context in which Presley pumped the Celtic badge- it was directly aimed at Romanov. But a few lame brains will no doubt think otherwise.

Presley is a committed professional who will give his all for Hearts if he gets the job. Should he get the job? That's up to Ann but his record as a manager isn't great.

No matter who gets the job we should all get behind the new manager and the club.

Who wasn't even at the game..........

Your right, I don't know him (well), but I once knew a man who was best friends with him. I know enough :)

You didn't answer the last 3 questions, I'm intrigued to know your responses.....

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This post, like a few others of it's ilk, almost moved me to tears.

And FYI, it's our club I'd be weeping for - certainly not you lot. 

FYI, I don't like him and with good reason. I don't think he is a good manager of people, or a people person. End of.

Comprende? You have your opinion and I have mine. I weep for your lack of understanding it goes beyond the fist pump. I am not that shallow. He won't be accepted and he has an awful record. He was a guid player so we should give him a shotty is not a risk we can take.

Has lost his last 2 dressing rooms, we have a dressing room that has been ravaged by the last aloof twat, we really don't need another one. Really we don't. Clear enough?

He didn't "p*** off to Celtic". He was sacked by Hearts and signed for Celtic when he was unemployed.

He engineered the move.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You didn't answer the last 3 questions, I'm intrigued to know your responses.....

Hearts are the most important thing to me. Your questions are hypothetical. He will not get the job, if he did he would fail and divide our support even further.

Of course I would support him if he did well, but that's living in cuckoo land.

Unknown user

Pressley played before my interest in Hearts began, but I've read about his brilliant Hearts career, and about the Riccarton 3.

Notwithstanding his ability as a manager, are people really disliking him because of one game against Celtic, or is there more to it?

Jilted lover syndrome - we loved him, he dumped us, now he's just a fat slag.

Hearts are the most important thing to me. Your questions are hypothetical. He will not get the job, if he did he would fail and divide our support even further.

Of course I would support him if he did well, but that's living in cuckoo land.

Aye okay mate, I still think you'd sit sulking in Aberdeen, hypothetically of course.

In Pressley's defence, he played like a warrior for whomever he was employed by. That was exactly what he did for Hearts, and why he was revered by us all at that time.

It seems likely he was aggrieved by the way his former employer (Romanov) treated him, and this probably influenced how he felt that day wearing a Celtic shirt, but going back to my first point above, the way he celebrated was not unlike anything he ever did in a Hearts jersey. Call him a footballing serial monogamist (!), but he was faithful to the club currently paying his wages, and in many people's eyes that is truly professional. 

I wish he hadn't done the chest pump thing, but equally, I don't know exactly what memories or past conversations he may or may not have been drawing on at that moment. It's easy to judge.

My residing memory of Pressley remains Falkirk away (2-2, Oct 2005) when he put in a gargantuan performance in scoring two late goals to reclaim an unlikely point having scored an unfortunate own-goal to put us two down.

A Hearts legend.

I'd rather not see him as HC at this time though.

At the time I felt he was just doing it to get favor with the Celtic fans, toning to do with us or Romanov, just getting his new teams fans onside.

Aye but did the big fella know this.......

Of course he did!

Son Of Anarchy

He'd very quickly re-establish himself as Hearts through and through

His enthusiasm and commitment would overcome most concerns pretty quickly

He would give 100%

Whether he is the right choice is another matter

All in your opinion of course I.e speculation. We have no idea how he'd act/be etc. He would though 100% split the fans. That's fact surely?

Jilted lover syndrome - we loved him, he dumped us, now he's just a fat slag.

More like -

we loved him, we separate with our best wishes - then he turn up at a party in your house and slobbers all over his new lover for 90 minutes.....then finishes off with a "GIRFUY" as he walks out the door!

I worked with Elvis on his presentation to use at interview last year. Over 4 days it was a pleasure to both work with and learn from such a driven ambitious man. He is obsessive about football and from the content of his presentation he wants his team to play football the correct way. He was neither arrogant or difficult and had time for a few laughs with my family. This is his character off the football pitch. On it you need belief, arrogance and a large dose of it too. I'd be delighted if he was successful, the man is simply obsessive about football and he would prepare the team every match with exactly what is required and how to win. Good luck Elvis.

All very nice and probably typical of most would-be managers in the game, but doesn't tell us much about his ability to motivate, to set out teams to win, to identify transfer targets, keep players happy, instill discipline etc etc

I bet Cathro put forward a blinding presentation, that's all I'm saying.

Have you asked him if he did?

Vlad was a huge presence at the games and was highly visible in the front row of the stand - you really expect anybody to believe that Pressley thought he was at the game??

Anyway as somebody just nailed it - his antics were FA to do with "GIRFUY Vlad" - it was all to do with brown nosing the Celtic fans, and to hell with the Hearts fans who were watching.

It would be a very underwhelming appointment, considering the managerial pedigree of some of the other apparent candidates. Based on his managerial track record, I'm struggling to see why he's even on a shortlist.

However, given his unpopularity with a large section of our fans, he seems like exactly the sort of person Levein would enjoy appointing.

No thanks.

All of this. I'm hoping their interview process is like the final round of pointless where put the worst option first and your best option last. Looking at Elvis as a manager only, he shouldn't be anywhere near the running for this job based on his general lack of success in his previous managerial posts.

People seem to forget him talking the ref out of giving us a penalty against Falkirk and getting us knocked out the Scottish Cup.

'Ehlvis' was banned on here for how long because he was hated by sections of the support.

Awful manager, worse person.

People seem to forget him talking the ref out of giving us a penalty against Falkirk and getting us knocked out the Scottish Cup.

'Ehlvis' was banned on here for how long because he was hated by sections of the support.

But.....but.....it was only one penalty.......it was just one chest thump.........

Lmao at this thread. What a shitshow of cluelessness. 

I'll be absolutely amazed if we appoint anyone that is going to get a good reaction from even half this board.

Should have been dealt with months ago and here we are into the season in a complete limbo.

Vlad was a huge presence at the games and was highly visible in the front row of the stand - you really expect anybody to believe that Pressley thought he was at the game??

Anyway as somebody just nailed it - his antics were FA to do with "GIRFUY Vlad" - it was all to do with brown nosing the Celtic fans, and to hell with the Hearts fans who were watching.

You often saw Pressley checking out the stand to see who was present right enough, not.

The simple fact is, as far as I know, he's never spoken publicly about his actions that day, so nobody really knows the answers/his reasons etc. It's pure speculation.

You often saw Pressley checking out the stand to see who was present right enough, not.

The simple fact is, as far as I know, he's never spoken publicly about his actions that day, so nobody really knows the answers/his reasons etc. It's pure speculation.

My point stands.

Pressley has not spoken about his antics - and has certainly not apologised or explained himself for his crass behaviour in front of Hearts fans who had supported him 100%.

You reap what you sow however, and his stupid antics has alienated him from a huge section of Hearts fans, and that may sway the Club from appointing him due to the division it would cause.

Whatever happens, we mustn't split the fans.  FFS.  We're more split than Splitty McSplittface.  Sooner we can get a manager appointed who we can accept the better, then we can go back to having a go at the new stand architect, or Mrs Budge, or Levein, or the boy with the drum.

At the time I felt he was just doing it to get favor with the Celtic fans, toning to do with us or Romanov, just getting his new teams fans onside.

I got that impression too, Nookie Bear.

A lot of people in the home stands took it personally, yet it is perfectly plausible that he was simply doing what you've described and just didn't think of the potential implications. I certainly don't think he did it to stick it up us fans personally, because he simply had no reason to stick it up us, as it wasn't us that screwed him. His only 'crime' at Hearts was to stand up (with CG and SPH) in defence of his teammates and ? IIRC ? t he good name of HMFC (in defence against Mad Vlad's strange ways). 

Pressley may have been boo-ed by a section (or majority) of Hearts fans that day prior to him doing anything untoward. That would have been the only gripe he could have had against us fans. Unless I've forgotten some element of the context (which is possible!). So, in summary, I think a lot of people have made a lot of big assumptions into the intended symbology of Pressley's actions that day. 

My recollection of the 'Pressley' game against Celtic was that the crowd were generally appreciative of him at that point, despite the move.

Early on in the first half, Bednar skinned him, left him on his arse and as he started to move towards goal, Pressley grabbed him by the ankle and pulled him over.  An absolutely blatant yellow card, which even though we got the foul, wasn't given.

At that point, a lot of the crowd started to boo him throughout the game in response to that incident - it really hit home that there was no room for loyalties and that he was intending to do all he could to win the 3 points for Celtic (with the lack of a yellow card forcing the point home that he was now part of the Glasgow establishment).

My perception of his chest-thumping at the end is that it was to wind up the Hearts supporters that booed him at the end - more reflective of his competitive streak than a dig at Romanov. 

It certainly did him no favours in terms of his relationship with Hearts fans or his legacy with us.

Have to say I'm one of them ? care to share a report covering that?

It seems a lot of people are very good at reading the thoughts of Elvis.

The only person who knows what the reasoning behind the chest thump was is Elvis.

Personally I believe he was hurting at the way things ended at ourselves and people do stupid things when they are hurting. People need to get over it though as it's been a bloody decade FFS.

I would prefer a Freedman or O'Neil appointment but if it's Elvis I'll welcome him back with open arms.

The same way we will all forgive Walker tomorrow and get behind him, we will do exactly the same with Elvis if and when he comes.

Greatest captain in my time watching Hearts. His fist pump was fecking ridiculous and tarnished his legendary status amongst our support.

If it happens to be Pressley I won't be delighted nor would I be foaming about it, he'll have my support as a potential Hearts gaffer and will be given a chance to make up for his actions as a Celtic player at Tynecastle.

Ultimately I don't think it will happen but you never know.

Why don't they just push me completely over the edge and appoint Mark McGhee as his no2 and Martin Canning as DOF.

The Old Tolbooth

Good post but won't go down well with some eijits. Anybody with half a brain would realise the context in which Presley pumped the Celtic badge- it was directly aimed at Romanov. But a few lame brains will no doubt think otherwise.

Presley is a committed professional who will give his all for Hearts if he gets the job. Should he get the job? That's up to Ann but his record as a manager isn't great.

No matter who gets the job we should all get behind the new manager and the club.

Bang on the cash for me! 

Hearts First

The same way we will all forgive Walker tomorrow and get behind him, we will do exactly the same with Elvis if and when he comes.

Speak for yourself.

Whatever happens, we mustn't split the fans.  FFS.  We're more split than Splitty McSplittface.  Sooner we can get a manager appointed who we can accept the better, then we can go back to having a go at the new stand architect, or Mrs Budge, or Levein, or the boy with the drum.

And that's as good a reason as any for not appointing him as well as lack of a decent CV depicting any worthwhile success.

My recollection of the 'Pressley' game against Celtic was that the crowd were generally appreciative of him at that point, despite the move.

Early on in the first half, Bednar skinned him, left him on his arse and as he started to move towards goal, Pressley grabbed him by the ankle and pulled him over.  An absolutely blatant yellow card, which even though we got the foul, wasn't given.

At that point, a lot of the crowd started to boo him throughout the game in response to that incident - it really hit home that there was no room for loyalties and that he was intending to do all he could to win the 3 points for Celtic (with the lack of a yellow card forcing the point home that he was now part of the Glasgow establishment).

My perception of his chest-thumping at the end is that it was to wind up the Hearts supporters that booed him at the end - more reflective of his competitive streak than a dig at Romanov. 

It certainly did him no favours in terms of his relationship with Hearts fans or his legacy with us.

I was in the stadium when Pressley ran out for the warm up, he was warmly applauded by quite a few Hearts fans when he did so.

The first wind up that day was Pressley being appointed Captain for the day, and when he won the toss he decided to play 'play the other way' - not a big deal but I thought at the time "Oh aye, Elvis is at it".

In the first minute of the game, Bednar got hacked down and Pressley ran 30 yards to confront the referee with "Diving" gestures - that was the start of mild booing.

Hearts were one up, and when Celtic scored at the Gorgie end, Pressley sprinted 70 yards up the park for wild celebrations right in front of the Hearts fans - increased booing!

He did exactly the same when they scored the winner against the run of play - his fellow defenders were content to stay back for a bit of 'high fiving'.

After the final whistle Pressley erupted into the most over the top childish celebrations. He then made the point of making sure he was on his own so he could walk down to the Celtic fans for a bit of chest thumping and badge pulling!

He knew what he was doing and did not give a toss about the Hearts fans who had supported him 100% at his time with Hearts.

Speak for yourself.

Is looking like Walker will be playing tomorrow and I for one will be there and cheering him on.

If Elvis comes here as manager, I will also be one of his travelling army of supporters.

Have to say I'm one of them ? care to share a report covering that?

Driver gets brought down for a blatant penalty.

Referee immediately gives it, and Linesman runs over to stand in his 'penalty position' on the goal line.

Fracas ensues in the box, Falkirk players booked, Pressley strolls over to the linesman for a wee chat in his ear.

Linesman then puts his flag up and tells the referee it's a corner instead of a penalty.

Referee changes his decision and gives a corner.

Seymour M Hersh

A lot of suspicious minds on this thread. If we are going to appoint him it's now or never

As a support we're all shook up at the moment.

I got that impression too, Nookie Bear.

A lot of people in the home stands took it personally, yet it is perfectly plausible that he was simply doing what you've described and just didn't think of the potential implications. I certainly don't think he did it to stick it up us fans personally, because he simply had no reason to stick it up us, as it wasn't us that screwed him. His only 'crime' at Hearts was to stand up (with CG and SPH) in defence of his teammates and ? IIRC ? t he good name of HMFC (in defence against Mad Vlad's strange ways). 

Pressley may have been boo-ed by a section (or majority) of Hearts fans that day prior to him doing anything untoward. That would have been the only gripe he could have had against us fans. Unless I've forgotten some element of the context (which is possible!). So, in summary, I think a lot of people have made a lot of big assumptions into the intended symbology of Pressley's actions that day. 

Pressley acted like a total dick that day, and will never be welcomed back at Tynecastle by a sizeable number of Hearts fans.  Now some on here accuse these fans of being bigots because he signed for Celtic.

In response to that I would highlight that Paul Hartley also signed for Celtic and came back to Tynecastle on numerous occasions. He played hard and fair, did not wind up Hearts fans with stupid antics, and as such will always be welcomed back to Tynecastle by the vast majority of Hearts fans either as a guest, or indeed as Head Coach.

Seymour M Hersh

More like -

we loved him, we separate with our best wishes - then he turn up at a party in your house and slobbers all over his new lover for 90 minutes.....then finishes off with a "GIRFUY" as he walks out the door!

:rofl:

Archived