Elvis interviewed (merged)

Never Let Them Forget

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Could do a lot worse than Elvis.

Aye, by appointing a corpse.

The scary thing is that one day fans will be running our club and making these decisions. God help us.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fly the Saltire

He's a monumental bellend who think he is something special. Achieved absolutely nothing out with his playing career.

Would be a shocking appointment.

32 caps for Scotland and three Scottish Cup wins with different teams.  I wish I had that failed career

Yes, yes I do, as I know some personally.

Prove it.......names, addresses, DOB, NI Number.......

32 caps for Scotland and three Scottish Cup wins with different teams. I wish I had that failed career

He said "outwith his playing career"

Borders Jambo

See, this is the problem if we have to limit the candidates to those who will "get on" with Levein.

Just give us the best possible experienced Manager and let him get on with the job!

But let's be honest, unless something changes short term to the DOF role that isn't going to happen.

Its the reason I want Paulo. He is passionate, knows what we expect as a support and is intelligent enough to be able to deal with the insular nature of Scottish football and I think the mechanics of the HC role with CL.

There may be others on our shortlist also able to do this, but personally I haven't been as aware of their football methods eg McClaren.

32 caps for Scotland and three Scottish Cup wins with different teams. I wish I had that failed career

If you read my post you will see I said out with his playing career, smart ass

Central Belt 1874

I've not read the whole thread, but was there not a second incident involving Elvis at Tynecastle versus Falkirk after he had left Celtic? I'm sure he was an absolute disgrace that day as well. Although I can understand players giving their all for the club they are playing for, there were a couple of occasions with him that I thought were unprofessional and disrespectful. However he was still a cup winning captain with 10 years great service so that counts for something.

Not sure he has achieved enough in management yet to be equipped to take us to where we want to be, which is challenging for 2nd and cup finals.

I've not read the whole thread, but was there not a second incident involving Elvis at Tynecastle versus Falkirk after he had left Celtic? I'm sure he was an absolute disgrace that day as well. Although I can understand players giving their all for the club they are playing for, there were a couple of occasions with him that I thought were unprofessional and disrespectful. However he was still a cup winning captain with 10 years great service so that counts for something.

Not sure he has achieved enough in management yet to be equipped to take us to where we want to be, which is challenging for 2nd and cup finals.

Sure it was an offside penalty at the Gorgie road end that he went mental and it wasn't given.

He's achieved more as a manager than Locke Robbie or Cathro did pre-us.

Seymour M Hersh

Sure it was an offside penalty at the Gorgie road end that he went mental and it wasn't given.

Absolute pish.

No doubt he was a quality captain at Hearts but I do feel in his management this has been somewhat lost and has come across as arrogance.  His record doesnt suggest that he manages to inspire his team on a weekly basis.  Football has changed so much in the short time he has retired from playing.  I mentioned yesterday their has been a sea change in attitudes in youth players coming through these days who need to be managed carefully. 

That is certainly what I was told - she is does not suffer fools gladly that's for sure!!

Are you suggesting Craig is a fool?

Central Belt 1874

Maybe so, but I feel a Club like ours should be aiming for a proven manager that has experience of winning trophies as a manager. Too many people on here are happy to settle for ex players or inexperienced coaches. As a club we need to aim higher.

Spitonastranger

Come again?

You said people had an agenda against him because it was Celtic, not for me or plenty others. But i know you will just come back with a pi&&y reply

If Pressley is appointed our new manager he will get my full support until he does something to lose it,he's been away for nearly a decade now so some folk should really just get over the past.He obviously wants the job and has a passion that has been massively lacking at our club to top long.

See, this is the problem if we have to limit the candidates to those who will "get on" with Levein.

Just give us the best possible experienced Manager and let him get on with the job!

It makes a lot of sense to ensure that as a boss, you get on with an employee.

In clubs with a DoF, the manager needs to get on with him. In clubs without he needs to get on with the CEO or chairman.

The only real discussion is whether or not clubs should have a DoF in the first place. I think they should, but the DoF should always be in place before the manager, otherwise the manager won't last long.

Clubs who change ownership tend to change their manager shortly afterwards, so it should be jo surprise if a change of DoF has the same effect.

Maybe so, but I feel a Club like ours should be aiming for a proven manager that has experience of winning trophies as a manager. Too many people on here are happy to settle for ex players or inexperienced coaches. As a club we need to aim higher.

Yes me too, and not many on here seem happy. I was basing a comparison as how it seems to be working at the club the now.

How's it pish? Robbie had achieved nothing in management pre-us.

Tbf what has Pressley achieved? Could argue he's achieved less than Robbie given he has managed three clubs and achieved nothing with each.

Did you warmly applaud him for his winning mentality that day then???

Of course not but you can hardly hold that against him. Did you expect him to not use his influence just because it's against us?

Tbf what has Pressley achieved? Could argue he's achieved less than Robbie given he has managed three clubs and achieved nothing with each.

Pressley was starting to do a very good job at Falkirk and had gotten them to the Semis of the Scottish cup before he exited. At Coventry and Fleetwood with one hand behind his back due to financial constraints he was successful at first before it went down the shitter and look how bad both clubs are now after he left. He has one thing over Robbie, experience, he will have learned a lot being his own man which Robbie didn't have before Hearts. Saying all that he would be a poor appointment in a tricky tricky situation the club find themselves in at this time. It has to be the right appointment because if it goes pear shaped before we get back to Tynie and the fans are on new boys back already it's not going to be a good place when it should be. Elvis is a couple of thumpings (pardon the pun) to begin with to have the support on his back right away and that could easily happen.

Bazzas right boot

As would happen to Boothroyd, McClaren, Freedman et al.

There's two things in your statement which annoy me about us atm:

1. We aren't strengthening the squad in key areas to help prevent that - yet they, Aberdeen and St Johnstone are strengthening.

2. We are defining ourselves against Hibs games too much.

We face a hard season - poorly performing squad, away from home a lot to begin with, rivals for europe getting stronger - so any manager deserves time. Like Cathro did. Only thing with Cathro was he had done nothing to suggest he deserved beyond May. Imo Pressley in 4th/5th come May with this squad in the circumstances is fine by me.

I think an experienced coach that doesn't divide the fans will get more time.

Pressley won't.

I agree, far too many fans use hibs as a benchmark for success, tragic stuff.

We are definitely a few players short.

Pressley was starting to do a very good job at Falkirk and had gotten them to the Semis of the Scottish cup before he exited. At Coventry and Fleetwood with one hand behind his back due to financial constraints he was successful at first before it went down the shitter and look how bad both clubs are now after he left. He has one thing over Robbie, experience, he will have learned a lot being his own man which Robbie didn't have before Hearts. Saying all that he would be a poor appointment in a tricky tricky situation the club find themselves in at this time. It has to be the right appointment because if it goes pear shaped before we get back to Tynie and the fans are on new boys back already it's not going to be a good place when it should be. Elvis is a couple of thumpings (pardon the pun) to begin with to have the support on his back right away and that could easily happen.

Yeah maybe it can be looked at that way, but Falkirk had a pretty good setup before he got there. Not sure how much was down to him.

Defo agree with your last bit. I think it would be a crazy appointment to make at this time. I don't want him forv several reasons.

It would also split the support right away. Measures up against the other candidates, if the reports are true he is a poor appointment.

doctor jambo

This entire thread is testament to why Elvis should not be appointed.

He is divisive.

There endeth the lesson

HillmanHearts

Pros :

Would instil passion and fight to the team and bring a harder edge to our leadership. 

Was a terrific club captain and understands the demands.

Very driven person with lots to prove.

Wont cost the earth.

Cons :

His managerial record looks pretty uninspiring so far and who knows how much that is actually down to specific circumstances.  

Was a bit of a Dick with the Celtic fist punch antics and there are some in the support who maybe just wont get past that.

Interesting :

Had the same win percentage at Coventry as Strachan had. 

Had a better overall win percentage down south than Lennon or McInnes had. 

( comparisons are difficult I know due to league status at the time etc. but worth noting all the same ).

I'm a bit conflicted myself but I wouldn't be gutted and would back him to the hilt.

( I'd prefer Elvis to McLaren but maybe not O'Neil )

Elias Henry Furst

Giving him an interview (if true) shows how completely out of touch with the fans Ann is. I wouldn't be surprised if she thought it was only the 'unsavoury' element amongst the support that didn't like him.

Giving him an interview (if true) shows that Craig Leveins interests don't lie with HMFC winning football matches.

His record as a manager and as a person should have ensured he was nowhere near Tynecastle yesterday (if he was).

If he gets the job I'm finished with Levein and Budge.

Pros :

Would instil passion and fight to the team and bring a harder edge to our leadership.

Was a terrific club captain and understands the demands.

Very driven person with lots to prove.

Wont cost the earth.

Cons :

His managerial record looks pretty uninspiring so far and who knows how much that is actually down to specific circumstances.

Was a bit of a Dick with the Celtic fist punch antics and there are some in the support who maybe just wont get past that.

Interesting :

Had the same win percentage at Coventry as Strachan had.

Had a better overall win percentage down south than Lennon or McInnes had.

( comparisons are difficult I know due to league status at the time etc. but worth noting all the same ).

I'm a bit conflicted myself but I wouldn't be gutted and would back him to the hilt.

( I'd prefer Elvis to McLaren but maybe not O'Neil )

Great post HH and 100% agree.

I'd actually prefer O'Neil or freedman but if it's Elvis I'll welcome him back.

He is passionate about Hearts and hopefully his difficult managerial experiences to date will be the making of him, which would obviously be to our benefit.

I think he's also aware of the feelings of some of the supporters and may make mention of this humbly if appointed.

The reality is that whoever gets the gig is going to be facing a monumentally difficult task and will be under serious pressure. That's the fault of the club not the support. They've had a disastrous spell on the pitch over the last 18 months culminating in the current shambles. Despite enormous and continuous financial support from the fans they've given us nothing back and they therefore have lost the benefit of the doubt over many on field things.

Whoever they appoint is going to need results and quickly so they'd best back him in every way possible as handicapping the newbie with this squad is a sure fire way of things not improving and the negative results and atmosphere continuing.

Governor Tarkin

In regards to the chest pump, I'm sure a load of the haters wouldn't have bothered that much if he wasn't playing for the Tims.

But he was playing for the tims, so he can GTF.

Giving him an interview (if true) shows how completely out of touch with the fans Ann is. I wouldn't be surprised if she thought it was only the 'unsavoury' element amongst the support that didn't like him.

Giving him an interview (if true) shows that Craig Leveins interests don't lie with HMFC winning football matches.

His record as a manager and as a person should have ensured he was nowhere near Tynecastle yesterday (if he was).

If he gets the job I'm finished with Levein and Budge.

Even if he turns the teams fortunes around ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Hope he... doesn't become our head coach.

Totally agree. We could get an equally shite manager, but less controversial.

I was in the stadium when Pressley ran out for the warm up, he was warmly applauded by quite a few Hearts fans when he did so.

The first wind up that day was Pressley being appointed Captain for the day, and when he won the toss he decided to play 'play the other way' - not a big deal but I thought at the time "Oh aye, Elvis is at it".

In the first minute of the game, Bednar got hacked down and Pressley ran 30 yards to confront the referee with "Diving" gestures - that was the start of mild booing.

Hearts were one up, and when Celtic scored at the Gorgie end, Pressley sprinted 70 yards up the park for wild celebrations right in front of the Hearts fans - increased booing!

He did exactly the same when they scored the winner against the run of play - his fellow defenders were content to stay back for a bit of 'high fiving'.

After the final whistle Pressley erupted into the most over the top childish celebrations. He then made the point of making sure he was on his own so he could walk down to the Celtic fans for a bit of chest thumping and badge pulling!

He knew what he was doing and did not give a toss about the Hearts fans who had supported him 100% at his time with Hearts.

Hard to forgive when you put it like that.

We don't have to take the chance with this guy not with the alternatives on offer.

I'm not one for holding grudges but if he was appointed it had better work out.

Another failure and the fall out could be catastrophic as he will be on a very short leash with a lot of people.

I think we should look elsewhere.

Hard to forgive when you put it like that.

We don't have to take the chance with this guy not with the alternatives on offer.

I'm not one for holding grudges but if he was appointed it had better work out.

Another failure and the fall out could be catastrophic as he will be on a very short leash with a lot of people.

I think we should look elsewhere.

He behaved badly that day, no question, but I think two things have to be taken into account. The first is that I've always believed that his real beef was with VR, though he chose a bad way to express it. The second is that I don't feel that his actions during one game should overshadow years of loyal service as captain of our club and ambassador for it. He was frequently referred to as 'Mr Hearts'. He cared enough for the club to openly go up against VR in protest at the way the club was being run, and paid for it with his Hearts career.

Having said all that, I don't want him to get the job, because I think there are better qualified candidates in the frame.

This entire thread is testament to why Elvis should not be appointed.

He is divisive.

There endeth the lesson

In the immediate aftermath of a Pressley appointment I'm sure there would be high levels of seethe.

However, like any other manager, if he wins football matches and if he's successful, given the fickle nature of our support, I'm pretty sure most folks will come around and will forget all about his Managerial record and a chest thump. If he loses games, everyone will want rid.

I'm not sure the seethe about Pressley being appointed makes the blindest bit of difference in the longrun. If it's Paul Hartley, Aidy Boothroyd or whoever there will still be a proportion of folk on here losing their shit because it's not Fabio Capello or Gus Hiddink that's been appointed such is the nature of this place.

132goals1958

If Pressley is appointed our new manager he will get my full support until he does something to lose it,he's been away for nearly a decade now so some folk should really just get over the past.He obviously wants the job and has a passion that has been massively lacking at our club to top long.

Is it really a decade since Mowgli , monkeys, golden sticks and fax machines. I think we should remember Elvis had his contract terminated for standing up to the mad one.

Of course not but you can hardly hold that against him. Did you expect him to not use his influence just because it's against us?

I think he prob did think that yeah!!!

Some folk eh...

FenderJaguar7

He is finished at Hearts for me. He can GTF.

Not saying I want Hartley but he showed how to act when coming back to a club where the fans loved him.

Bazzas right boot

I'm gonna guess the same folk that wanted Robbie Sacked, then Cathro sacked will be unhappy with our new appointment.

On Elvis, I'd back him 100%, but imo he isn't the best candidate.

The last thing we need is a blatantly divisive figure at the moment.

Exactly, Colin, and most people are sensible enough to realise it won't happen. The club wouldn't be that daft.

Leave aside all the previous antics in that Celtic game.....he's not the guy for the job. End of !

I think I seem to be the only one if not in a very small minority that isn't bothered by Elvis getting an interview. He was a terrific servant to us and captained us with great distinction. Yes he done a stupid thing by pumping the celtic bag but come on its been 10 years it wasn't aimed at the support it was aimed at Romanov and co.

I would still go with McClaren as our next manager but if for some reason he doesn't get the job I wouldn't be disappointed like most would if Elvis got it

I don't care about.the chest thumping I just don't see how he is a good appointment as manager of he gets the job

I don't care about.the chest thumping I just don't see how he is a good appointment as manager of he gets the job

Agreed. Couldn't care less about his antics that day. I do care about his poor managerial record.

So its a no from me.

Freespeech1874

He's a monumental bellend who think he is something special. Achieved absolutely nothing out with his playing career.

Would be a shocking appointment.

Elvis Thinks he knows everything about football a bit like Levein, absolute pair of bellends

I loved him as a player but If the rumours are true about who is interested I think their are stronger managerial appointments that we could make.

His antics with Celtic still don't sit well with me either. I'd be surprised if he got the job given how decisive it would be within the support BUT if he does get it, I'll be absolutely desperate for him to prove me wrong and do well

Just remind us - what had he achieved????

Archived