Elvis interviewed (merged)

Never Let Them Forget

Jambof3tornado

With the standard of candidates who have applied, it would be laughable to then appoint Pressley.

Some of those who have applied want more money than we are paying.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacDonald Jardine

This forum has previously voted unanimously on a Pressley legend banner being displayed again at Tynecastle.

That's for all the bitter twisted brigade to chew on :)

I doubt it was unanimous.

No poll on here is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MacDonald Jardine

He divides a handful of people who post on a football forum.

The same forum that overwhelmingly thought we shouldn't sack Gary Locke after the 7 goal thrashing at Tynecastle.

Thanks for your 'lesson' though doc.

It's funny how this place is only representative when it suits.

I doubt it was unanimous.

No poll on here is.

Good shout big man, post amended accordingly.

south morocco

Pressley was a great player and captain for us. I'd like to leave it there. I don't think he has what we need right now and is obviously a divisive figure.

For the record I also don't think Kickback represents hearts supporters by any stretch of the imagination

Seymour M Hersh

How's it pish? Robbie had achieved nothing in management pre-us.

I read your post as meaning SP had achieved more in management than RN which is pish as RN has won a Championship title. 

rudi must stay

I read your post as meaning SP had achieved more in management than RN which is pish as RN has won a Championship title.

Pressley has more experience in coaching. I would rather have him than Neilson

b63f3ef20dba650bb64b115a5af128f0.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Exactly how many penis innuendos are we allowed in one photo these day?

MacDonald Jardine

Pressley has more experience in coaching. I would rather have him than Neilson

He's been a coach for longer, yes.

FYI, I don't like him and with good reason. I don't think he is a good manager of people, or a people person. End of.

Comprende? You have your opinion and I have mine. I weep for your lack of understanding it goes beyond the fist pump. I am not that shallow. He won't be accepted and he has an awful record. He was a guid player so we should give him a shotty is not a risk we can take.

Has lost his last 2 dressing rooms, we have a dressing room that has been ravaged by the last aloof twat, we really don't need another one. Really we don't. Clear enough?

No, not really. I'd rather listen to someone who's a bit less bitter and twisted - someone like Alex Smith but no doubt you'll be saying he's talking shite too? 

Steven Pressley would be an ideal Hearts manager who could withstand any criticism from disgruntled fans, according to Alex Smith.

Falkirk?s technical director gave Pressley his first managerial job seven years ago and believes he is well suited to replace Ian Cathro at Tynecastle. Hearts owner Ann Budge and director of football Craig Levein interviewed the 43-year-old on Thursday after sacking Cathro last week.

image.jpg Alex Smith was impressed by Pressley at Falkirk

A section of the Hearts support remain unhappy with Pressley after he left the Edinburgh club to play for Celtic in 2006. However, Smith has backed the former Tynecastle captain and insisted he would be a steadying influence if given the job in Gorgie.

?I don?t think there?s any doubt he can lead a club of Hearts? size. He?s familiar with big clubs and that club in particular,? Smith told the Evening News. ?He knows the challenges you have in Scottish football with a club like Hearts.

?He knows the demands of the Hearts fans, he knows the demands of the club itself and where it?s expected to be. He also knows the pressure that brings him from clubs like Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibernian. Hearts expect to be in amongst that group, at least in the top four.

?Steven doesn?t get fazed by anything. He can handle anything. He can walk into a room and be a personality, converse and speak deeply about the game in any company. He?s got that kind of strength about him.?

Smith stressed that Pressley?s strength of character would ensure he coped with supporters who may question his prospective return to Hearts. He played in maroon for eight years and captained the club?s 2006 Scottish Cup-winning team. However, his celebrations after returning to Tynecastle with Celtic saw some fans turn on him.

?He is a boy who can drum up enthusiasm but he can drum up controversy as well,? continued Smith. ?He has that, but clubs like Hearts need it. I?m not telling Hearts what to do but Rangers and Celtic always have strong management teams and you need to be strong to compete with them.

?Brendan Rodgers introduced young players at Celtic but he?s also a very strong and likeable personality. You have to be a strong manager to go in and compete against him. It was the same with Martin O?Neill, or Walter Smith at Ibrox, or Craig Levein at Hearts, or Derek McInnes at Aberdeen.

?These are strong personalities and you have to handle them publicly and handle the environment. You need to know you?re strong enough to carry your club. Steven Pressley would be the same character no matter which club he was managing. He?s as honest as the day is long and his courage is tremendous.

?He does court controversy sometimes but there?s no harm in that. It can actually be a breath of fresh air. If there?s anybody cut out for Hearts, he is as much as anyone.?

Pressley has been out of work since resigning as Fleetwood Town manager in July 2016. He still lives with his family in England but is willing to return to Scotland to resume his managerial career.

His time at Falkirk saw a clutch of young academy players promoted to the first team, including Jay Fulton, Stephen Kingsley, Blair Alston and Craig Sibbald. He left in March 2013 to become manager at struggling Coventry City. He kept them in League One despite two separate ten-point deductions, plus the fact they were forced to play home games 34 miles away in Northampton.

He was sacked after a poor run of results in February 2015 and became Fleetwood manager in October that year. Smith believes the former Scotland defender will have learned from those experiences in England and is ready to take on the role at Hearts. ?One of Steven?s biggest assets was he was a good listener, even though you wouldn?t get that impression,? explained Smith. ?If you spoke to him he would listen and take things on board if he thought it was viable. That?s one of his strengths.

?You?d maybe think he is somebody who doesn?t listen but he does. He takes everything in because he thinks it?s educational. Every bit of information is needed and that?s how you should look at it.

?He knows the game and he?s tactically astute, whether it?s a tight defensive unit or attacking with flair. He appreciates players with extra talent. What he gained here at Falkirk was having the courage to play young players.

?At first it was about first-team players but he soon listened and realised that young players can be better than experienced players in some situations. He had the courage to put them in. That?s one of the secrets of team building to develop a club.?Hearts brought players like Jamie Walker and others through a few years ago because it had to be done. It was a bit like that here as well. Falkirk were financially struggling because we?d come out of the Premier League but we were still player top-level salaries. We had to cut to a smaller budget, which meant bringing in younger players.

?You need to identify who can play and who can handle stepping up. Steven has the ability to do that, plus the courage to promote them. A lot of managers don?t have that any more.

?He captained most of the clubs he played at. He led and lived to his principles, he was strong and had all the qualities of an excellent captain. That?s a good sign of someone who wants to take responsibility as a manager. He?s got that in abundance.?

Hearts will interview other candidates for the role, including the former England manager Steve McClaren, before making a decision. Although events conspired against Pressley down south, Smith is confident the Edinburgh club would get a reliable and knowledgeable head coach if they decide to appoint him.

?Coventry were in a complete mess when he went there, playing their home games at Northampton?s ground and trying to stay in the league,? he said. ?Steven was doing well until they sold his two strikers. It?s difficult to replace them when you don?t have money so it became about survival. I think he was let down a bit by people within the club there. He played for Rangers, Celtic, Dundee United, Coventry, Hearts. He had a big playing career. He wasn?t afraid to offer his thoughts as a manager. He was slightly adventurous at times but he knew how he wanted to play the game. He always had a solid way of playing and I thought he had great promise.?

The_razors_edge

Pressley was a fantastic defender, leader and club captain for the time he was here. For me the best leader and club captain I've seen in my time supporting the club. But that does not and should not give him a free pass to become our manager/head coach. As has already been correctly pointed out his managerial record so far wouldn't justify appointing him. His failure at fleetwood has been excused due to some sort of mitigating circumstances. That would be the same fleetwood uwe rosler managed to 4th place in league one last season (with an average home gate of 3271)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudolf's Mate

b63f3ef20dba650bb64b115a5af128f0.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post of the day [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

And I loved the man as a player [emoji23]

No, not really. I'd rather listen to someone who's a bit less bitter and twisted - someone like Alex Smith but no doubt you'll be saying he's talking shite too?

Steven Pressley would be an ideal Hearts manager who could withstand any criticism from disgruntled fans, according to Alex Smith.

Falkirk?s technical director gave Pressley his first managerial job seven years ago and believes he is well suited to replace Ian Cathro at Tynecastle. Hearts owner Ann Budge and director of football Craig Levein interviewed the 43-year-old on Thursday after sacking Cathro last week.

image.jpg Alex Smith was impressed by Pressley at Falkirk

A section of the Hearts support remain unhappy with Pressley after he left the Edinburgh club to play for Celtic in 2006. However, Smith has backed the former Tynecastle captain and insisted he would be a steadying influence if given the job in Gorgie.

?I don?t think there?s any doubt he can lead a club of Hearts? size. He?s familiar with big clubs and that club in particular,? Smith told the Evening News. ?He knows the challenges you have in Scottish football with a club like Hearts.

?He knows the demands of the Hearts fans, he knows the demands of the club itself and where it?s expected to be. He also knows the pressure that brings him from clubs like Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibernian. Hearts expect to be in amongst that group, at least in the top four.

?Steven doesn?t get fazed by anything. He can handle anything. He can walk into a room and be a personality, converse and speak deeply about the game in any company. He?s got that kind of strength about him.?

Smith stressed that Pressley?s strength of character would ensure he coped with supporters who may question his prospective return to Hearts. He played in maroon for eight years and captained the club?s 2006 Scottish Cup-winning team. However, his celebrations after returning to Tynecastle with Celtic saw some fans turn on him.

?He is a boy who can drum up enthusiasm but he can drum up controversy as well,? continued Smith. ?He has that, but clubs like Hearts need it. I?m not telling Hearts what to do but Rangers and Celtic always have strong management teams and you need to be strong to compete with them.

?Brendan Rodgers introduced young players at Celtic but he?s also a very strong and likeable personality. You have to be a strong manager to go in and compete against him. It was the same with Martin O?Neill, or Walter Smith at Ibrox, or Craig Levein at Hearts, or Derek McInnes at Aberdeen.

?These are strong personalities and you have to handle them publicly and handle the environment. You need to know you?re strong enough to carry your club. Steven Pressley would be the same character no matter which club he was managing. He?s as honest as the day is long and his courage is tremendous.

?He does court controversy sometimes but there?s no harm in that. It can actually be a breath of fresh air. If there?s anybody cut out for Hearts, he is as much as anyone.?

Pressley has been out of work since resigning as Fleetwood Town manager in July 2016. He still lives with his family in England but is willing to return to Scotland to resume his managerial career.

His time at Falkirk saw a clutch of young academy players promoted to the first team, including Jay Fulton, Stephen Kingsley, Blair Alston and Craig Sibbald. He left in March 2013 to become manager at struggling Coventry City. He kept them in League One despite two separate ten-point deductions, plus the fact they were forced to play home games 34 miles away in Northampton.

He was sacked after a poor run of results in February 2015 and became Fleetwood manager in October that year. Smith believes the former Scotland defender will have learned from those experiences in England and is ready to take on the role at Hearts. ?One of Steven?s biggest assets was he was a good listener, even though you wouldn?t get that impression,? explained Smith. ?If you spoke to him he would listen and take things on board if he thought it was viable. That?s one of his strengths.

?You?d maybe think he is somebody who doesn?t listen but he does. He takes everything in because he thinks it?s educational. Every bit of information is needed and that?s how you should look at it.

?He knows the game and he?s tactically astute, whether it?s a tight defensive unit or attacking with flair. He appreciates players with extra talent. What he gained here at Falkirk was having the courage to play young players.

?At first it was about first-team players but he soon listened and realised that young players can be better than experienced players in some situations. He had the courage to put them in. That?s one of the secrets of team building to develop a club.?Hearts brought players like Jamie Walker and others through a few years ago because it had to be done. It was a bit like that here as well. Falkirk were financially struggling because we?d come out of the Premier League but we were still player top-level salaries. We had to cut to a smaller budget, which meant bringing in younger players.

?You need to identify who can play and who can handle stepping up. Steven has the ability to do that, plus the courage to promote them. A lot of managers don?t have that any more.

?He captained most of the clubs he played at. He led and lived to his principles, he was strong and had all the qualities of an excellent captain. That?s a good sign of someone who wants to take responsibility as a manager. He?s got that in abundance.?

Hearts will interview other candidates for the role, including the former England manager Steve McClaren, before making a decision. Although events conspired against Pressley down south, Smith is confident the Edinburgh club would get a reliable and knowledgeable head coach if they decide to appoint him.

?Coventry were in a complete mess when he went there, playing their home games at Northampton?s ground and trying to stay in the league,? he said. ?Steven was doing well until they sold his two strikers. It?s difficult to replace them when you don?t have money so it became about survival. I think he was let down a bit by people within the club there. He played for Rangers, Celtic, Dundee United, Coventry, Hearts. He had a big playing career. He wasn?t afraid to offer his thoughts as a manager. He was slightly adventurous at times but he knew how he wanted to play the game. He always had a solid way of playing and I thought he had great promise.?

Everyone else's fault except Presley's.

:sob:

Being reported that Paul Hartley has also been interviewed with more names to be known in the coming days.

Post of the day [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

And I loved the man as a player [emoji23]

Post of the day? Infantile nonsense. Some Hearts fans don't understand that to compete with the Old Firm you need to instil a winning mentality and, for that, you need winners. We don't need coaches at first team level so much as a respected manager that will come in and instil discipline and a winning mentality. Pressley fits the bill in every respect. We need to shed ourselves of this nicey nicey, soft, decent respectable image. Who gives a monkeys whether he thumped his chest, kissed the badge of Celtic or whatever. He is a winner, he's a Hearts man and whether he is the best candidate, only the club can decide that. Whatever happens he would sort us out and bring a bit of pride back in playing for the jersey. He is a leader and that is exactly what we need right now.

Elias Henry Furst

Post of the day? Infantile nonsense. Some Hearts fans don't understand that to compete with the Old Firm you need to instil a winning mentality and, for that, you need winners. We don't need coaches at first team level so much as a respected manager that will come in and instil discipline and a winning mentality. Pressley fits the bill in every respect. We need to shed ourselves of this nicey nicey, soft, decent respectable image. Who gives a monkeys whether he thumped his chest, kissed the badge of Celtic or whatever. He is a winner, he's a Hearts man and whether he is the best candidate, only the club can decide that. Whatever happens he would sort us out and bring a bit of pride back in playing for the jersey. He is a leader and that is exactly what we need right now.

I bet he wishes he'd brought that mentality to Falkirk , Coventry and to the giants of the game Fleetwood Town?

It appears he never and instead chose to be utterly clueless and to get sacked.

Oh well. Their ill judgement will be our gain.

Naturally.

Because he was a good captain etc.

Rudolf's Mate

:gok: I honestly got as far as 'infantile nonsense' before skipping it.

Before Cathro I'd have loved Elvis as manager however the fact is we need someone who'll unite us not divide us. Infantile or not, his appointment will have him under the cosh from the first minute of the first day. Things go wrong then he's not just got those against him but also those on the fence. I'm willing to bet there's quite a few!

So away and wind your neck in for the fact that I was able to see the funny side of that picture!

Oh as it posted I saw your comment about kissing the badge. I didn't give a monkeys about what he did even though it was chest thumping however I genuinely didn't give as I saw it for what it was!

Pressley was an absolute goliath on the pitch for us

I didn't like his behaviour after it but could see past it.

However I met him recently and he seemed like a shell of the man he once one was. Broken and bitter. It was sad but I wouldn't like to see that man as the Hearts gaffer.

As many have said, Elvis was a great Captain for us. In an era when players move regularly from club to club and the captain changes season-on-season, Elvis was a stalwart for us. He just missed out on 98 by a year and stayed through to the Vlad years, eventually winning a SC of his own. 

Great captains don't make great managers though. If they did, Gary Locke would still be manager and we'd be fighting off much bigger clubs to keep a hold of him. 

There's some really big names in the hunt for this job with proven track records of success. One even has a proven track record at Hearts. Elvis has a very lacklustre managerial record and if he hadn't been the captain he had, or had such a close relationship with Levein then he'd be nowhere in the running.

It would make Rix appointment look inspired... Although I'd really hate to see China on McLeod St kicking some small budgies. 

:gok: I honestly got as far as 'infantile nonsense' before skipping it.

Before Cathro I'd have loved Elvis as manager however the fact is we need someone who'll unite us not divide us. Infantile or not, his appointment will have him under the cosh from the first minute of the first day. Things go wrong then he's not just got those against him but also those on the fence. I'm willing to bet there's quite a few!

So away and wind your neck in for the fact that I was able to see the funny side of that picture!

Oh as it posted I saw your comment about kissing the badge. I didn't give a monkeys about what he did even though it was chest thumping however I genuinely didn't give as I saw it for what it was!

Rudolf, why not go away and wind your own neck in buddy!. Pressley landed at a couple of bombscare clubs and did a reasonable job. Jefferies, Levein,Lennon, Pressley and McInnes...they all failed and were sacked in England. Your name sake Skacel was also hopeless at every other club other than Hearts.The question is who would fit best within our managerial structure and get the best out of the players. Without a DOF, ideally O 'Neill or McClaren would take the job but realistically Pressley is FAV. I expect him to be announced early next week. Incidentally, Neil Lennon was, and remains a divisive figure but seems to have won over the Hibs fans.

Hearts First

Rudolf, why not go away and wind your own neck in buddy!. Pressley landed at a couple of bombscare clubs and did a reasonable job. Jefferies, Levein,Lennon, Pressley and McInnes...they all failed and were sacked in England. Your name sake Skacel was also hopeless at every other club other than Hearts.The question is who would fit best within our managerial structure and get the best out of the players. Without a DOF, ideally O 'Neill or McClaren would take the job but realistically Pressley is FAV. I expect him to be announced early next week. Incidentally, Neil Lennon was, and remains a divisive figure but seems to have won over the Hibs fans.

A reasonable job? :)

Geoff Kilpatrick

"Falkirk won't be relegated!".

With this, Pressley defined his managerial career.

Rudolf's Mate

Skacel did fairly well at Southampton and was far from bad outside of the UK ffs!

If Freedman is genuinely willing to work with a DOF then the he pisses all over our legend!

A reasonable job? :)[/quot

Did Ranieri , using your logic, do a reasonable job at Leicester? If so, why was he sacked??

"Falkirk won't be relegated!".

With this, Pressley defined his managerial career.

"We will make it up to the fans". After humiliating cup defeats to Hibs, both Neilson and Cathro defined their managerial careers although, in Neilson''s case he realised the benefits of a "money spinning"replay!!

Rudolf's Mate

I've lost track of who Enzo is arguing with [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Edit. Just realised it's himself!

fraz the postie

Right my tuppence worth,

Presley was a great player and captain for hearts.

It doesn't overly worry me about his antics when he wasn't a hearts player.

If he became our new head coach ide back him to the hilt ........

However there is IMO better candidates out there.

It seems to me we arnt a very United support,

Cmon the hearts !.

Right now we need a leader who can unite the club and pull everyone along in the same direction. Pressley is not that man , he divides opinion and being honest is a mediocre coach/ manager .

Geoff Kilpatrick

"We will make it up to the fans". After humiliating cup defeats to Hibs, both Neilson and Cathro defined their managerial careers although, in Neilson''s case he realised the benefits of a "money spinning"replay!!

Absolutely.

His CV wouldn't get him a gig in Poundstretcher.

His CV wouldn't get him a gig in Poundstretcher.

He does have a bit of the old Churchill spirit though.

I think an experienced coach that doesn't divide the fans will get more time.

Pressley won't.

I agree, far too many fans use hibs as a benchmark for success, tragic stuff.

We are definitely a few players short.

To me, anyone but Paulo, will divide Hearts fans.

If we get Pressley fine by me. We strengthen the squad when we can, we build, we go on. But we as fans have to understand that we are living with a squad now that's seen two horrific transfer windows.

Any coach inc McClaren is doing wonders getting us 4th. Time will tell. But if Mr Hearts gets the job he deserves 2 windows to get us in place. Cathro was just catastrophic throughout his tenure.

Geoff Kilpatrick

To me, anyone but Paulo, will divide Hearts fans.

If we get Pressley fine by me. We strengthen the squad when we can, we build, we go on. But we as fans have to understand that we are living with a squad now that's seen two horrific transfer windows.

Any coach inc McClaren is doing wonders getting us 4th. Time will tell. But if Mr Hearts gets the job he deserves 2 windows to get us in place. Cathro was just catastrophic throughout his tenure.

:wtf:

You can say the whole Snake thing is over the top but giving him that epithet is embarrassing.

This is what should go on his gravestone.

Ur way way out of order with this

Don't think he should be our manager given the other candidates in play but if this is what some of our so called fans think of him after all those years of giving his heart and soul for the club .... honestly

Wee thump of the chest and he was very wrong to do it but those so quick to judge without accepting he may have just made a big error of judgement ... when was the last time u made a mistake in life but we never let him forget ... hmm

Mentioning what u said to be written in his gravestone for one of our club legends (whatever u think of him) is absolutely despicable tbh, something I would expect from a vermin supporter and you can GTF for saying it

fraz the postie

With you 1975 that's just moronic,

Think before you post ,it should be a lot of people's pre- post bylaw.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This forum has previously voted in favour of a Pressley legend banner being displayed again at Tynecastle.

That's for all the bitter twisted brigade to chew on :)

I vote for a banner but not him as a manager. Confuse you?

It might be worth Presley getting the job, just to see the reaction on here, tears snotters everywhere

IMO SP will be very high on ABs s list, probably favourite

One thing for sure, the opinion of a few baton chuckers will not effect any decision

Hearts First

It might be worth Presley getting the job, just to see the reaction on here, tears snotters everywhere

One thing for sure, the opinion of a few baton chuckers will not effect any decision

Aye, let's hire a complete failure of a manager just to upset some fellow Hearts fans.

This better not happen. He is a snake and people should remember that. He had no respect at all for Hearts fans and kids who worshipped him when he thumped his chest and kissed the Celtic badge right in front of Hearts fans weeks after leaving us.

If he is appointed it will make things worse that they currently are and seriously fail to unify the Hearts support (which has been needed since Neilson)

This better not happen. He is a snake and people should remember that. He had no respect at all for Hearts fans and kids who worshipped him when he thumped his chest and kissed the Celtic badge right in front of Hearts fans weeks after leaving us.

If he is appointed it will make things worse that they currently are and seriously fail to unify the Hearts support (which has been needed since Neilson)

Think of the kiddiewinks!!!

:wtf:

You can say the whole Snake thing is over the top but giving him that epithet is embarrassing.

Remember it from the '06 Cup Final. A few papers described him as that. But in hindsight... yes.

Jambo 4 Ever

He's a monumental bellend who think he is something special. Achieved absolutely nothing out with his playing career.

Would be a shocking appointment.

Rubbish!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Stuart Wallace reporting a decline in FoH subs will though. Make no mistake this was part of the thinking behind the dismissal.

This appointment has to unite the fans for this very reason.

Pressley will be pouring further fuel to the fire

ToadKiller Dog

He isn't what we need after the Cathro experiment failure .

The new guy needs to be popular choice or somebody who at lest will be given a good bit of time .

If he's given the job that will be me finished with hearts until this regime leaves. Would be the most ridiculous appointment since Rix.

Archived