Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

• kila

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Not really. Look at the amount of money Ross McCormack has went for and hardly had any caps!

You may be right John.  Playing for Scotland might actually lower your transfer value.  Don't pick him Walter.  Pick some carthorse like Hanlon instead. ??

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Pretty shit thing for warnock to say actually 

Not really. It’s the truth. Midfield/ attacking players worth a lot more these days so our sell-on will be more. He couldnt defend when he was with us so I’m not sure how anyone thinks he should be able to defend now. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's not, it's an agreement between two clubs which can result in a tribunal should an agreement not be reached.

See - Holt, Telfer, McGinn etc.

No it really isn’t. The two clubs don’t agree on a development fee at all. It is what it is - there’s no negotiating the figure. Can’t remember how / who arrives at the figure but it’s definitely not the two clubs who agree it. We already knew how much the development fee would be before CP left and before we or even he knew where he was going. 

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

You do realise it's just banter? 

Warnock had nothing but praise for Hearts when he signed CP and it's clear from this article that he gets on with Levein

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/neil-warnock-hearts-get-sell-on-clause-in-callum-paterson-deal-1-4468817

I'm sure when he signed Calum he hoped he would get over the injury and be an important member of his squad. He now realises he has won a watch.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

I'm almost certain it was Callum himself that demanded the 15% sell on fee from Cardiff. 

Correct. I was talking about the development fee we received not the sell on fee that CP negotiated off his own back.

N Lincs Jambo

This is the problem with the written word, you don't hear the music. When I read that I instantly thought Warnock was having a light-hearted dig at the one weak point in CP's game, given the amount of goals he has already scored for Cardiff, I think NW is chuffed to bits with his new player. After all he keeps on playing him, admittedly not at right back :)

N Lincs Jambo

This is the problem with the written word, you don't hear the music. When I read that I instantly thought Warnock was having a light-hearted dig at the one weak point in CP's game, given the amount of goals he has already scored for Cardiff, I think NW is chuffed to bits with his new player. After all he keeps on playing him, admittedly not at right back :)

Fozzyonthefence
12 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No it really isn’t. The two clubs don’t agree on a development fee at all. It is what it is - there’s no negotiating the figure. Can’t remember how / who arrives at the figure but it’s definitely not the two clubs who agree it. We already knew how much the development fee would be before CP left and before we or even he knew where he was going. 

Cant edit but look s like I was talking (partially) pish. Seems there is some kind of formula and that’s how we knew we would get £400k for CP. But seems we agreed to the £50k or whatever it was for Holt but not sure why that was so low in comparison to Telfer who had only played about one first team game - did we get sell on clause for Holt?

6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Imo in the crazy England market he's worth £5m based on what he's already done and that will only increase if he keeps it up.

International exposure also important.

Though clearly not that important to guys like Ibe , Murphy, Clucas and Maguire who've all been transferred for fees in excess of £12m. 

38 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Didn't billy gilmour move to chelsea through a development fee circa 600k? How does that work then? Also didn't we just see leonard leave for 350k?

1 hour ago, Musemic said:

Warnock had nothing but praise for Hearts when he signed CP and it's clear from this article that he gets on with Levein

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/neil-warnock-hearts-get-sell-on-clause-in-callum-paterson-deal-1-4468817

I'm sure when he signed Calum he hoped he would get over the injury and be an important member of his squad. He now realises he has won a watch.

Didn't say liked Broonie or Lennon.  I've really taken to him.

It should have been ten

Warnock was absolutely making a tongue in cheek comment about CP. Can’t believe people take stuff so serious :laugh:

Big Slim Stylee
On 2/6/2018 at 07:01, XB52 said:

I said years ago that CP had all that was needed to go as far as Bale. Looking at him the last couple of games, looks like I might be right. Things can go wrong of course, as Callum well knows, but we could be quids in soon

He’ s great. He’s no ****ing Christian Bale! ?

16 hours ago, kila said:

:laugh:

Warnock is clearly absolutely loving him.

300k for a handful of goals and assists already is a steal in the English Championship.

8 hours ago, MrB1to4 said:

Didn't billy gilmour move to chelsea through a development fee circa 600k? How does that work then? Also didn't we just see leonard leave for 350k?

Chelsea bought gilmour for an agreed fee. Leonard's fee could go up to 350k depending on progress. Agree though, it's so hard to work out what young players are worth

scott herbertson

Warnock was just joking with that - look at the praise he gives him here:

“. NEIL WARNOCK: 

"There were some really good performances at Leeds, none more so than Callum Paterson," said Warnock.

"I thought he was fantastic. I actually turned around I think for the second goal, it was a bad left-footed shot from Paterson, and I went towards the bench and they were jumping up because we'd scored. I thought it was going wide so all credit to Junior (Hoilett) for coming in at the back post."

"Paterson was a revelation. I gave him 12 out of ten. I said in front of all the team, it was good as I’ve seen a performance in midfield."

"He couldn’t even move at the end. I put it down to very good management. I asked him to do a job and he’s full of it.

"He’s dangerous, not many would have got in there for the first and he was instrumental to the second, his contribution is excellent. He has great enthusiasm."

A glowing reference from the man who signed the crocked star from Hearts last summer, and one that is thoroughly deserved given Paterson's impact for the Bluebirds since making his debut in October following a 10-month lay-off with a knee injury he suffered during his final campaign in his homeland.

But while Paterson's versatility has no doubt been a huge bonus for Warnock, as well as being a key factor in his decision to sign the Scot last year, it seems at long last the Cardiff faithful have seen where his best position lies.

With a record that read nine goals in 21 appearances last term prior to his horror injury, it was obvious that Paterson was no ordinary right-back, or even if he was an out-and-out defender at all.

And having netted his fifth goal of the campaign against the Whites in only his 16th Championship appearance of the season, Paterson is showing no signs that his injury will slow him down in the Welsh capital.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

CALLUM PATERSON:

"It's a massive statement from us," said Paterson after his side's emphatic 4-1 win, a result that proved to be the final straw for Leeds' hierarchy who sacked Thomas Christiansen little more than 24 hours after the full-time whistle."

"We had a bit of a slump a few games back which every team has during the season."

"The delivery makes the goal at the end of the day but I was happy to get on the end of it and get another goal.

"We've got to keep our feet on the ground because there's a long way to go and finishing in the top six would be a massive achievement for us given where we were last season. Top two would be lovely but we'll take top six."

Paterson rightly noted that the manner and margin of victory against Leeds - as it did in the reverse fixture in South Wales earlier in the campaign - sent out a real statement to the Bluebirds' promotion rivals.

But with the likes of Aron Gunnarsson and Craig Bryson to return from injury, Paterson sent out a statement of his own at Leeds with a scintillating display that virtually left him unable to walk after the match. The tank had been well and truly emptied.

And it looks like he'll quite literally be the man at the centre of Cardiff's promotion run-i

Warnock has played a blinder with him in all honesty. Think I've said it before but he looks a totally different player in that midfield role making runs from deep and getting on the end of crosses. Starting to remind me of Fellaini back when he was good. I think there's a real chance he could make it to one of the top teams. 

14 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's not, it's an agreement between two clubs which can result in a tribunal should an agreement not be reached.

See - Holt, Telfer, McGinn etc.

No mate, the development fee is a known factor. 

We didn't get a development fee for Holt, we agreed a lower fee in lieu of the full development fee to help his career. We could have insisted on the full thing but didn't - it's confirmed here that rangers negotiated a fee with us but the payment of an officially set development fee is not mentioned. 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/33616730

29 minutes ago, Smithee said:

No mate, the development fee is a known factor. 

We didn't get a development fee for Holt, we agreed a lower fee in lieu of the full development fee to help his career. We could have insisted on the full thing but didn't - it's confirmed here that rangers negotiated a fee with us but the payment of an officially set development fee is not mentioned. 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/33616730

Kind of annoyed about that. Shouldn't be in anyway shape or form accommodating when negotiating with the OF. Huns have at least double our turnover. 

30 minutes ago, OTT said:

Kind of annoyed about that. Shouldn't be in anyway shape or form accommodating when negotiating with the OF. Huns have at least double our turnover. 

I get what you're saying but in the bigger picture treating our young players decently will make us more attractive to sign for, and I bet Callum wouldn't have asked for a sell on fee if we were a dick of a club to his mates.

I'm not keen on the thought of helping out the OF either though to be honest, it does leave a wee bitter taste

He's going to go on to be one of the Championship's most exciting players if he keeps this form up. 

Genuinely chuffed to bits for him! 

For me, Paterson's best position is right midfield.

The guy will get up and down the flank for you all day and he can whip in a great ball.

We all know how physical he is and he is fantastic in the air.

Personally I am not sure that Calum has the technique and ball control to make it as a central midfielder at the highest level although I may be doing him and injustace as I havent seen any of Cardiff's games since has started playing there. Also to be fair he has banged in a few goals playing in that position.

One thing is for sure, he is missed at Tynecastle. A cracking player who hopefully comes back to us one day.

Only thing about it that drives me batty is that we waited until he was injured to move to the 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 setups. Putting another centerback in behind him would have covered his defensive deficiencies and he would have been absolutely rampant as a RWB.

19 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

You don't get it.

18 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Not really though.

You do.

17 hours ago, Musemic said:

And Cardiff have some good players in defence. It's all relative. 

But maybe finding his best position 

3 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

For me, Paterson's best position is right midfield.

The guy will get up and down the flank for you all day and he can whip in a great ball.

We all know how physical he is and he is fantastic in the air.

Personally I am not sure that Calum has the technique and ball control to make it as a central midfielder at the highest level although I may be doing him and injustace as I havent seen any of Cardiff's games since has started playing there. Also to be fair he has banged in a few goals playing in that position.

One thing is for sure, he is missed at Tynecastle. A cracking player who hopefully comes back to us one day.

Wing back for me. He can do exactly what you described as a WB without worrying about being drawn into more central areas, where I don't think he's as effective, and he'd have cover for defensive duties. 

I think Neilson and Levein recognised that and that's why we were always building for a defensive 3 and 2 wing backs set-up, but just never made it work, mainly due to never finding a decent option on the left and not signing good enough CBs until now.

CP in this defence would be a revelation. Imagine Hughes, Berra and Souttar flanked by Mitchell and CP!

As an aside I really like Neil Warnock. I know he was linked to us, but I wonder if he's a future Hearts manager in waiting if he doesn't get to the EPL.

Edited by socrates82

Seymour M Hersh
On 07/02/2018 at 19:48, jambo1961 said:

Surely some on here aint comparing CP to Bale

CP is a cracking player and will go onto do well in the game but he aint no Real Madrid prospect

Neither was Bale when he was on loan to Southampton (I think it was them) and even his early Spurs career looked doomed until flash Harry moved him further forward.

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Neither was Bale when he was on loan to Southampton (I think it was them) and even his early Spurs career looked doomed until flash Harry moved him further forward.

Aye fair enough ....look forward to seeing CP plying his trade in Madrid, only a matter of time eh

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, jambo1961 said:

Aye fair enough ....look forward to seeing CP plying his trade in Madrid, only a matter of time eh

Don't be petulant now. I was not suggesting he will ever play for Madrid but physically I'd say Paterson was ahead of Bale by the end of his teens. Bale looks a beast now but didn't always. CP has always looked formidable physically. In fact he's everything (physically and athletically) almost all young Scottish footballers are not.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

12 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Funny how people automatically assume that because you're comparing 2 players it automatically means you're saying they are of equal ability.

When bale first moved to first team football he was a left back. He was young, but he was big, strong, athletic and could run all day. Problem was he couldn't defend. So he was moved further forward where his power, pace, eye for goal and technical ability made him a force that defences couldn't handle. He then took it a step further and pushed himself hard becoming an absolute beast.

Change the name Bale to Paterson and left back to right back and you have Patersons story above. They are almost mirror images and it's yet to be seen how far Paterson will go.

Edited by Bauld

The Bale vs Paterson discussion :laugh:

There are similarities in terms of position, attacking instincts, build, power running, but only in the way there are similarities between a supercar and a cheaper alternative. Bale's a Bugatti or Ferrari while CP is still an Audi or something. Nowhere in Bale's league (he can't hit nearly as good a free kick for a start) but definitely a cut price version.

Edited by socrates82

Another big game for Cardiff tonight.  They're all big of course.

Would be great if he could play another blinder and maybe grab another goal or two.

Get the weekend off to a cracking start.

27 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I planned to say almost exactly this. No one's saying next stop Madrid but he only needs a bit of refinement to be a very effective player at a high level, and best of luck to him. 

Салатные палочки
18 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Another big game for Cardiff tonight.  They're all big of course.

Would be great if he could play another blinder and maybe grab another goal or two.

Get the weekend off to a cracking start.

Just noticed it's on Sky Sports. I think watched about four Cardiff games this season just to see CP. 

55 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Just noticed it's on Sky Sports. I think watched about four Cardiff games this season just to see CP. 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Me too, I hope he can keep it up because it's been great watching him progress, such a driven player

We didn't half miss him, after his last game for us, silly injury, but that was him all over,  110% commitment. As he matures, that will be channelled more effectively for les risk to him. 22? year old and we had him in our team for 5 years!

Been playing very well recently but other than a clearance late on he’s been anonymous in midfield in this game. First 25 were dreadful, bit better for last 20. Hopefully Calum gets into it second half.