Paterson at Cardiff ( merged )

kila

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I seem to remember most of the criticism being that he couldn't defend, not that he was shite. 

This.

He's never going to make it at right back in the Premier League but he's doing brilliantly where Warnock has him at the moment (seems to be here, there and everywhere!)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

• kila

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SectionDJambo

I always had the opinion that he was the only one of the young players who came through the administration season, and beyond, who had the physical presence to make it in England. One or two of the others were kidding themselves, if they thought they could make the move.

Holt and Nicholson won’t go any further, and I’d be surprised if Jamie Walker isn’t back in Scotland shortly.

When we played Spurs, their “wee” players were physically stronger than our big ones. It’s no coincidence that George Burley filled our team up with big players, with no little talent. It’s what he was used to in England. The impact was immediate.

The, Ferguson, Aberdeen side had the likes of Rougvie, Simpson, McLeish, McGhee, Weir and Cooper. They just steamrollered teams up here, including Rangers and Celtic, with their physicality.

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I always had the opinion that he was the only one of the young players who came through the administration season, and beyond, who had the physical presence to make it in England. One or two of the others were kidding themselves, if they thought they could make the move.

Holt and Nicholson won’t go any further, and I’d be surprised if Jamie Walker isn’t back in Scotland shortly.

When we played Spurs, their “wee” players were physically stronger than our big ones. It’s no coincidence that George Burley filled our team up with big players, with no little talent. It’s what he was used to in England. The impact was immediate.

The, Ferguson, Aberdeen side had the likes of Rougvie, Simpson, McLeish, McGhee, Weir and Cooper. They just steamrollered teams up here, including Rangers and Celtic, with their physicality.

It's his desire and determination too

I won't fault Holt but the others notably Walker, Nicholson and McGhee have never worked hard enough

Paterson shows that a bit of hard work in the gym pays off.

How often do we say "they need to bulk up" when it comes to players coming through the academy?  Well he clearly works hard at it, and just look at the wonders it's doing for his game.  He's not the most technical player by any means, but he gets himself into the right position time and time again, and then has the physicality to win or keep the ball.

No doubt about it, 8 goals in 23 games in the Championship for any player is brilliant, never mind a young Scottish laddie coming back from injury from a "pub league" being played out of position!

Edited by tian447

maroonnicky63
11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I seem to remember most of the criticism being that he couldn't defend, not that he was shite. 

ha ha love this . back petal back pedal. Many on here said he was not good enough and shite so don't try this absolute nonsense, the noise from the idiots is deafening and some are actually trying to say they knew he would always make it at a better level

2 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

ha ha love this . back petal back pedal. Many on here said he was not good enough and shite so don't try this absolute nonsense, the noise from the idiots is deafening and some are actually trying to say they knew he would always make it at a better level

I'm not back pedaling as I never called him shite one way or the other. I'm just commenting on what I read on here.

8 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Obsessed with this aren't you? Can you not give it a rest? 

Dalstonjambo
31 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Is there space on this board for those of us who think 

- some youth players will go on to a higher level
- some youth players will make it at hearts
- some won't make it at Hearts
- some might not make it at all. 

Not everything needs to be black and white.

I don't think it was a leap of faith to suggest Paterson would be at a better level than HMFC. A knee injury prevented him signing for an EPL club 6 months before he left, he was clearly our best player and he had the physical attributes to go further. I also don't remember many people on hear saying he wasn't good enough. Some people said his defending would need to improve to make it as a defender at a higher level, and even sometimes at our level. 

Just because people don't always blindly agree with your view that every kid is brilliant doesn't mean they don't have faith in our youth system mate. And 99% of HMFC fans loved Paterson and thought he would have a great career from what i read on here. 

Edited by Dalstonjambo

William H. Bonney
35 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

you have to be the biggest gobshite on this board. 

23 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Always loved the big man

was the most important player in our team

was gutted when he left

but remember me and others saying he had to play further forward as he was wasted at full back and getting shot down in flames

by those who said nah right back was his position

the boy can play just about anywhere but anybody with his strength, aerial ability and goal scoring potential has to be playing

midfield or even further forward and like Warnock could see him at centre half later in his career

Don't think there were many that said he couldn't play further forward but for Hearts the best position to play him was at right back for a number of reasons. In the SPL he could get forward often enough from right back to give us an additional attacking threat/ goals, playing him further forward wouldn't have increased our attacking threat to the extent it was worth playing a weaker right back.

Much different story at Cardiff where he isn't needed at right back the way he was with us so is free to play further forward.

44 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

I don't think it was a leap of faith to suggest Paterson would be at a better level than HMFC. A knee injury prevented him signing for an EPL club 6 months before he left, he was clearly our best player and he had the physical attributes to go further. I also don't remember many people on hear saying he wasn't good enough. Some people said his defending would need to improve to make it as a defender at a higher level, and even sometimes at our level. 

Just because people don't always blindly agree with your view that every kid is brilliant doesn't mean they don't have faith in our youth system mate. And 99% of HMFC fans loved Paterson and thought he would have a great career from what i read on here. 

100% - just a little to add to that if you don't mind, people have mentioned out youngsters also needing to bulk up(tian447 this is not a quote directed at you). Great, dependent on their position - Andrew Driver did bulk up and was then thought of as slow.

None of us on this board, with the exception of a few people close to the club know what is best for our players.

Edited by Neon

1 hour ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Many on here thought he would do well down south . His defending was poor and he often showed a lack of composure , not the most skilful either . He overcame all of the above with an unbelievable attitude/determination . He has worked hard to get where he is . Because of that there is no reason to think he won't improve on all his perceived weaknesses . If he does its scary to think how good he ,may become

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, neonjambo said:

100% - just a little to add to that if you don't mind, people have mentioned out youngsters also needing to bulk up(tian447 this is not a quote directed at you). Great, dependent on their position - Andrew Driver did bulk up and was then thought of as slow.

None of us on this board, with the exception of a few people close to the club know what is best for our players.

You give them the best chance to succeed, facilities, time; whether on the training field or in a match, you give them the best chance you can. Then its down to the player, their reps even the parents. I heard for example the boy Wright at Aberdeen has been held back by an over bearing father who even told the national manager at 21 level what to do.

Unfortunately forums are way too simplistic to capture the subtleties of why some reach their full potential and others don't. I think Hearts can be clear of any failure at least in this sphere.

Edited by Sir Gio

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

You give them the best chance to succeed, facilities, time; whether on the training field or in a match, you give them the best chance you can. Then its down to the player, their reps even the parents. I heard for example the boy Wright at Aberdeen has been held back by an over bearing father who even told the national manager at 21 level what to do.

Unfortunately forums are way too simplistic to capture the subtleties of why some reach their full potential and others don't. I think Hearts can be clear of any failure at least in this sphere.

A) Heard this a few times on here also - just can't think who.

B ) We went about his whole injury scenario with class, to think a club you have told you won't sign another contract with then gave you medical attention required and dedication shows what this club is all about.

Love Paterson and he loves us, honestly would not be surprised if he added another percentage fee to the next club he signs for to come to Hearts.

PhoenixHearts
On 3/14/2018 at 12:24, AlimOzturk said:

He doesn't have the same roots that Berra has up here. He was brought up in London for starters and doesn't have any kids up here. However, his affinity for us might persuade to come back up one day. Would love to see that daft sod in a Hearts jersey again one day.

Ehhh.... aye he does. He was born in London yes, but only lived there for 3 years. He grew up in Queensferry. I don't think he was a Hearts fan growing up (I've heard it was Livi???), but neither was Berra allegedly (I've heard it rumored he liked Celtic when he was wee. Could be way off.)

But make no mistake, he absolutely does have deep, deep roots here. Hearts are the club that raised him.

Edited by PhoenixHearts

PhoenixHearts
23 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

He's gonna be the new Harry Kane.

Shame about the 'tache.

Aye, except markedly better looking. And he prefers to breathe with his nose, unlike Kane.

John Findlay
On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 11:13, Ray Gin said:

For a right back I would personally say defending  should be the primary asset. Defending is still the weakest part of his game. His tackling for an alleged full back still leaves alot to be desired. The reason he sustained his bad injury was because he tackled the Killie player with his wrong(left)foot.

Edited by John Findlay

PhoenixHearts
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

For a right back I would personally should be the primary asset. Defending is still the weakest part of his game. His tackling for an alleged full back still leaves alot to be desired. The reason he sustained his bad injury was because he tackled the Killie player with his wrong(left)foot.

What you talking about man? It's perfect... :pleased:

Cy0y4K8WIAAsRqz.jpg

maroonnicky63
Just now, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

you have to be the biggest gobshite on this board. 

ah one of the Paterson slayers, hurting is it.?? I think you will find I am second '' your first''

18 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

For a right back I would personally say defending  should be the primary asset. Defending is still the weakest part of his game. His tackling for an alleged full back still leaves alot to be desired. The reason he sustained his bad injury was because he tackled the Killie player with his wrong(left)foot.

Modern football the primary concern of full backs is attacking.  Just look at nearly all the big sides. 

maroonnicky63
Just now, Dalstonjambo said:

This is a good post and I have no issues with this at all. I have no issue with fans coming on here and debating if a player or players are not good enough but to come on purely to slate a player in a manner that is uncalled for ie calling players shite and garbage ect , if a player is not good enough then fine but no need to call them names and demean them in any way

colinmaroon
58 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

This is a good post and I have no issues with this at all. I have no issue with fans coming on here and debating if a player or players are not good enough but to come on purely to slate a player in a manner that is uncalled for ie calling players shite and garbage ect , if a player is not good enough then fine but no need to call them names and demean them in any way

Absolutely spot on!

Key board hard men, eh, persons.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Modern football the primary concern of full backs is attacking.  Just look at nearly all the big sides. 

Is it?

Robbo-Jambo

With his sheer determination, attitude ,will to win and his footballing ability this lad is going to the top of the English Premiership.

With us receiving a few million quid when he makes that move.

Deserves all he gets out of the game.

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

With his sheer determination, attitude ,will to win and his footballing ability this lad is going to the top of the English Premiership.

With us receiving a few million quid when he makes that move.

Deserves all he gets out of the game.

Good post, I would add to the above attributes that he also has the intelligence needed to make the most of his opportunity whereas there are numerous young players recently who for whatever reason have been unable to do this.

5 hours ago, neonjambo said:

Nah, that's sound and fair enough mate.  Obviously we don't want our wingers doing their best to resemble Adebayo Akinfenwa :lol:

For our more central players, I think the additional bulk definitely helps though.  Look at us at the minute - absolutely powderpuff.  Just imagine having Paterson playing that role for us at the minute :wub: 

LarrysRightFoot

The guy has the right attitude, tenacity and enthusiasm.

Things that the likes of Cochrane and McDonald should be looking at (I’m not saying they aren’t and don’t have them).

He has the right physique, athleticism and a knack of being the right place at the right time (going forward).

Bur for me it’s the the first three attributes that have taken him to where he is and will take him even higher IMO. 

It was so obvious from very early in his career with us and throughout his playing time at Hearts that Calum had everything to make it in the game to a high level, especially his attitude which made it even more incredible that some tried to have a go at his attitude, while others doubted he would make it down south even in the championship. It was never in doubt he would tear up that league like he did up here.

Stick on for Scotland RB/RWB now or maybe even midfield if he's doing so well there for Cardiff. We could do with some genuine energy and goal threat in the middle for Scotland.

Out of our current youngsters, Cochrane reminds me most of Paterson in terms of how comfortable he looks as a first team player at an even younger age than Calum was when he broke though.

6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

This. Andy Robertson tied down the LB spot at Liverpool thanks mainly to the way he could get up and down and attack as well as defend. Walker went for so much money mostly because of his power and attacking threat. What's important is the pace to get up and down that flank and the ability to be a goal threat or put in dangerous crosses.

Defensively, unless you need your RB to be the best defender, good teams can accommodate a supposedly weaker defender at RB if he offers a lot going forward. So I think Calum can make it at RB but RWB seems to be his best position. Mind you I haven't seen him play in central midfield for Cardiff. Sounds like he's been a bit of a revelation in there. I think it was the only place we didn't play him! I still think Scotland and us should have pushed him up front more often when chasing games.

Edited by socrates82

1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

The guy has the right attitude, tenacity and enthusiasm.

Things that the likes of Cochrane and McDonald should be looking at (I’m not saying they aren’t and don’t have them).

He has the right physique, athleticism and a knack of being the right place at the right time (going forward).

Bur for me it’s the the first three attributes that have taken him to where he is and will take him even higher IMO. 

I feel like Irving is the most Paterson-esque of all the new young players this season physicality and attitude towards that side of their game wise. Henderson probably next.

I actually wish Warnock was the Scottish manager as Cardiff play a typical Scottish Game of getting the ball into the box early and competing for it.

Against Brentford just after halftime they only had 28% possession.

8 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

And he prefers to breathe with his nose, unlike Kane.

That’s a bit insensitive, Kane has a birth defect that doesn’t allow him to breath through his nose, he actually chokes during sleep. It’s a real shame and unfortunately the affliction is inoperable. Think before you type mate, yeah?

scott herbertson
47 minutes ago, DVB said:

I actually wish Warnock was the Scottish manager as Cardiff play a typical Scottish Game of getting the ball into the box early and competing for it.

Against Brentford just after halftime they only had 28% possession.

Good shout

we need somebody motivational

PhoenixHearts
51 minutes ago, smiler said:

That’s a bit insensitive, Kane has a birth defect that doesn’t allow him to breath through his nose, he actually chokes during sleep. It’s a real shame and unfortunately the affliction is inoperable. Think before you type mate, yeah?

Genuinely can't tell if youre extracting the urine...

maroonnicky63
Just now, HMFC 86 said:

As you are regularly 

I support my team which includes all the players that pull the jersey on which is more than I can say for you as your posts are normally negative and there would be no players left at Hearts if it was up to you.

I will give my opinions on the team in a constructive way but I never ever attack any individual players on here and insult them by calling them shite ect.

Recently I have highlighted the fact that the players we have been bringing in since we won the championship are of a standard that is not good enough for Hearts but at the moment it is what Budge and Levein feel they can afford , I see no need to come on here and name players and insult them, they are playing for the team that your are '' supposed'' to support

Cardiff have a few games coming up live on tv

Sun 18 March Derby v Cardiff 12.00 Sky Sports Main Event 

Mon 2 April Sheffield United v Cardiff 19.45 Sky Sports Football 

Fri 6 April Cardiff v Wolves 19.45 Sky Sports Football/ Main Event 

Tues 10 April Aston Villa v Cardiff 19.45 Sky Sports Football/ Main Event 

Next 4 games

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

28 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Next 4 games

All big games.  If they win those 4, they will win the league.  CP to score in at least 2-3 of those.

Jambof3tornado
35 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Next 4 games

Cardiff are hardly off the TV.

Good to see how well CP is doing.

On 14/03/2018 at 09:50, Thomaso said:

He is still a young lad - pretty sure his technique will be improving from when he was at Hearts.

I watch him live almost every week. His technique is a mile behind someone like Hoilett. He works his arse off but he still has some proper shanner moments when presented with the ball at his feet. Personally I think he's absolutely 100% Championship quality and the EPL would find him out of his depth in the centre of midfield. If Cardiff go up (fingers crossed) then it wil lbe interesting to see where Colin plays him. 

Time will tell like and opinions are like arseholes, as they say.  

If everything goes to plan Cardiff will go into next week with a 10 point lead over 3rd place and still only 3 behind the leaders.

That lead would probably be unassailable and Callum would have played a big part in achieving it.

1 hour ago, benny said:

They are terrible to watch.

The only reason I don't switch off is Callum.

Pity Wolves or Fulham didn't sign him.

Great news for them today though.  Beat Derby tomorrow and I reckon auto promotion is in the bag.

While I don't for a moment doubt your assessment of them I find it hard to believe they could be worse than Man Utd in midweek.

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:37, The Brow said:

I watch him live almost every week. His technique is a mile behind someone like Hoilett. He works his arse off but he still has some proper shanner moments when presented with the ball at his feet. Personally I think he's absolutely 100% Championship quality and the EPL would find him out of his depth in the centre of midfield. If Cardiff go up (fingers crossed) then it wil lbe interesting to see where Colin plays him. 

Time will tell like and opinions are like arseholes, as they say.  

Colin????

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Colin????

Neil Warnock is an anagram of Colin W**ker :thumbsup: 

Edited by tian447

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Neil Warnock is an anagram of Colin W**ker :thumbsup: 

Penned by Sheffield Wednesday fans we should add. But the nickname has stood.