***Potential signings/Transfer rumours Thread***

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Beni of Gorgie

The last thing we need is pathetic squad type fillers. Our whole team is already full of them. We need more players of Berra's class. McGinn level players. Shite from the Conference down south is taking a big risk when we have Johnsen and Sammon at the club. Thoughts?

Aye. I took dogs for exactly the same thought. Hopefully Vanarama lad is plan c stepping back from the keyboard :)

What I also said we don't have money to buy a squad of Berra types. Not easy to get everything we need on a tight budget.

The last thing we need is pathetic squad type fillers. Our whole team is already full of them. We need more players of Berra's class. McGinn level players. Shite from the Conference down south is taking a big risk when we have Johnsen and Sammon at the club. Thoughts?

People keep saying Berra like that is the standard we are going to get. He is the best quality signing we will get in this window!

It's difficult for us to beat an ex-captain, who's played at a high level consistently for his whole career and that has 36 Scotland Caps.

On paper he is probably the best signing we have made post-admin.

Not saying he will be, but he has the best history of any we have signed.

The rest will be below him, but we can't judge until they have played. There will be some good and at least 1 bad. No one ever gets them all right, but we (the fans) probably get it wrong more than anyone tbf

kingantti1874

Like others I'd prefer to see us invest in 3/4 good quality players like Berra and use the kids to back them up if required rather than average dross

Holyrood_Hearts

Every signing has an element of risk. Stockton is a smaller risk given the level he's been playing, lower expectations & small wages in comparison to Bjorn & Sammon (although everybody knew Sammon would be s***)

Every signing has an element of risk. Stockton is a smaller risk given the level he's been playing, lower expectations & small wages in comparison to Bjorn & Sammon (although everybody knew Sammon would be s***)

There must be better in Scotland than Bjorn and Sammon. I would rather we had 2 amazing strikers than w bunch of shit ones.

People keep saying Berra like that is the standard we are going to get. He is the best quality signing we will get in this window!

It's difficult for us to beat an ex-captain, who's played at a high level consistently for his whole career and that has 36 Scotland Caps.

On paper he is probably the best signing we have made post-admin.

Not saying he will be, but he has the best history of any we have signed.

The rest will be below him, but we can't judge until they have played. There will be some good and at least 1 bad. No one ever gets them all right, but we (the fans) probably get it wrong more than anyone tbf

Aberdeen sign better players than us every window. The vast majority we sign flop.

Hope we sign no one for days and weeks; would love to see how many pages this thread stretches to!  :2thumbsup:

Cathro is lolderwood Levein is Petrie. Ffs.

That's the way it is heading. We need signings or this could end very badly.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Like others I'd prefer to see us invest in 3/4 good quality players like Berra and use the kids to back them up if required rather than average dross

It's one game but Brandon looks capable. Currie played well too. It was all a bit toxic towards the end of the season though. Ideally you want to protect youngsters and bring them into a positive environment

kingantti1874

It's one game but Brandon looks capable. Currie played well too. It was all a bit toxic towards the end of the season though. Ideally you want to protect youngsters and bring them into a positive environment

Agree but They will only get that playing with good players. Not lazy dross here to get a move to league one.. Put the pieces in place slowly.. Next season our budgets should be much improved

I think we should rush into signing loads of players cos Aberdeen will sign everyone if we don't or Hibs. Rushing into signing players has worked once and it'll work again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holyrood_Hearts

There must be better in Scotland than Bjorn and Sammon. I would rather we had 2 amazing strikers than w bunch of shit ones.

Everyone would prefer that tbf!

There's not that many to be fair up here, even fewer when you operate in the free transfer/out of contract market like we do. Better strikers here last summer (Stewart, Hemmings, Doolan, Boyce, etc) would've cost us a transfer fee.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Agree but They will only get that playing with good players. Not lazy dross here to get a move to league one.. Put the pieces in place slowly.. Next season our budgets should be much improved

Berra Cowie Hughes plus another 3 or 4 senior players would be ideal.

Our last batch of kids went through a difficult thing. Admin bounce back and then one by one replaced or looking for a change.

Hopefully this set of kids get fed in.

I think we should rush into signing loads of players cos Aberdeen will sign everyone if we don't or Hibs. Rushing into signing players has worked once and it'll work again

Just go off you tube videos

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Unknown user

:lol: proper lol'd there sifter sur :lol:

I did too!

It does beg the question though, if a keeper, a central defender, a central midfielder and a striker can be described as the spine, who exactly is the farter?

Bazzas right boot

That only works properly if you also change your manager every 3-6 months if they have a poor spell and spend money you don't have.

Colonel H Smith couldn't put a better plan together.

Knuckles, tits. A farter. That's just off the top of my head. To be fair though, between us we've pretty much covered it.

Are you saying that you used to have knuckles, tits and a farter on the top of your head?

Frankenstein stuff that!

rick witter

That may not be entirely of our choosing,

Walker and Djoum seem to be looking for pastures new but if they don't go until near the end of the window it would be financial folly to spend anticipated fees on replacements before then and maybe see one or other of them fail a medical.

i feel sure however we'll have most of our squad by next Friday or very soon thereafter.

We need new players regardless of whether Djoum and Walker leave And definitely in the midfield areas. Even if we keep both them that would be the case.

I did too!

It does beg the question though, if a keeper, a central defender, a central midfielder and a striker can be described as the spine, who exactly is the farter?

Martin - blows out of his erse after 20 minutes.

Fxxx the SPFL

Given that we will always have a finite amount of money to spend on players wages we are never going to attract any big names that is just a fact of life. We have to invest in the youth and hope that we produce some real quality youngsters. Or unearth a Jamie Vardy type from the lower leagues.

We need to ensure that the club generates as much money as possible from the new stand when it's fully up and running utilising it 24/7.

At no point does that article say we will be only signing Scottish/British players.

A new recruitment company have been enlisted to identify players in addition to a tried-and-trusted network of contacts. A Scottish, or at least British, spine must be reinstalled in Gorgie. Cathro has already enjoyed Christophe Berra?s return to the club which launched his career.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

A new recruitment company have been enlisted to identify players in addition to a tried-and-trusted network of contacts. A Scottish, or at least British, spine must be reinstalled in Gorgie. Cathro has already enjoyed Christophe Berra?s return to the club which launched his career.

Indeed. Doesn't say we won't be signing foreign players though does it?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Recruitment company. What the feck does the manager do, isn't it his job to recognise players that would benefit the team. Joke !

Recruitment company. What the feck does the manager do, isn't it his job to recognise players that would benefit the team. Joke !

We don't have a manager but we have a Coach. The whole point of a DOF is that he should determine our style of play and identify the type of players that we sign.

He has a Chief Scout and various other scouts who should be indentifying those players at all levels from youth level to first team.

The only problem with the way we seem to work is that according to our Coach and DOF it is our coach who does this job which beggars the question why do we need a DOF.

Indeed. Doesn't say we won't be signing foreign players though does it?

The only person that I have read making this point is you. I certainly never said that we wouldn't sign foreign players but as it said in the quote from Levein's interview " a Scottish or at least British spine must be re-installed" 

Tomorrow's papers reporting Hibs will move for Greg Stewart and Louis Moult from monies received for Jason Cumming.

Tomorrow's papers reporting Hibs will move for Greg Stewart and Louis Moult from monies received for Jason Cumming.

Are they reporting anything about our potential signings?

Bazzas right boot

Imagine this place if that happened.

Unknown user

We don't have a manager mate

Thought Police

Are people seriously getting upset because we haven't signed 7 players before the middle of June?

All roads lead to Gorgie

We don't have a manager but we have a Coach. The whole point of a DOF is that he should determine our style of play and identify the type of players that we sign.

He has a Chief Scout and various other scouts who should be indentifying those players at all levels from youth level to first team.

The only problem with the way we seem to work is that according to our Coach and DOF it is our coach who does this job which beggars the question why do we need a DOF.

It is the route we have chosen ( not my choice ) so we have to go along with it. I think Levein should be out there seeing more of his targets in the flesh and Cathro should accompany him as he is the one apparently picking the team.

All roads lead to Gorgie

We don't have a manager mate

Cathro might be termed a coach but he has to manage the team. Very badly so far it has to be said.

Look I'm happy to be patient and I remain hopeful but I did think as our management team were aware of just how much we needed players we would have more out of contract players lined up and in place reasonably quickly. That's where the value lies in the current market.

The concern is that the horse trading we may need to do with Walker and Djoum will cloud the issue and the money may still all be channelled into the stand.

It is the route we have chosen ( not my choice ) so we have to go along with it. I think Levein should be out there seeing more of his targets in the flesh and Cathro should accompany him as he is the one apparently picking the team.

You are aware what scouts are for aren't you?

It makes complete sense. 90% of teams above us will use one.

It gives a huge amount of access to what we may not have had. The days of scouts going to every low league game are done. We will identify targets with the help of this company and their stats, then scout them.

It will provide a bigger range of potential talent with less of the out in the field scouting

We need new players regardless of whether Djoum and Walker leave And definitely in the midfield areas. Even if we keep both them that would be the case.

Who's arguing with you?   Did you read the last sentence of the post to which you replied?

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

The only person that I have read making this point is you. I certainly never said that we wouldn't sign foreign players but as it said in the quote from Levein's interview " a Scottish or at least British spine must be re-installed"

I don't deny Levein and the management team are trying to do that, but there are some folk criticising the possible signing of an unknown Polish defender (if rumours are to be believed) because he doesn't fit the Scottish/British criteria.

Look, if we can get a British core to our team then that's great and I'd be really happy but if a good foreign option became available we would be daft not to explore it.

I reckon that a lot of the British players who we may be interested in would be out of our price range (McGinn and Boyce being examples of that) so we may need to look overseas for players. We shouldn't sign a lower calibre of British player because he fits a specific criteria and is within budget. If we can get a better foreign alternative then we should take it.

Take Conor Newton for example. We've been linked with him in the press but from a personal point of view he isn't the type of player who would take us to the next level so for me there are concerns about the level of British player we can attract if he is someone we are considering.

We just need players who are the right fit for the club, regardless of where they are from.

The recruitment company is in addition to normal sources not instead of.

All roads lead to Gorgie

It makes complete sense. 90% of teams above us will use one.

It gives a huge amount of access to what we may not have had. The days of scouts going to every low league game are done. We will identify targets with the help of this company and their stats, then scout them.

It will provide a bigger range of potential talent with less of the out in the field scouting

Fair point but obviously the teams above us are using a better company then. We have a budget but even teams with less to spend often recruit better than ourselves. Have we the right contacts. !

I don't deny Levein and the management team are trying to do that, but there are some folk criticising the possible signing of an unknown Polish defender (if rumours are to be believed) because he doesn't fit the Scottish/British criteria.

Look, if we can get a British core to our team then that's great and I'd be really happy but if a good foreign option became available we would be daft not to explore it.

I reckon that a lot of the British players who we may be interested in would be out of our price range (McGinn and Boyce being examples of that) so we may need to look overseas for players. We shouldn't sign a lower calibre of British player because he fits a specific criteria and is within budget. If we can get a better foreign alternative then we should take it.

Take Conor Newton for example. We've been linked with him in the press but from a personal point of view he isn't the type of player who would take us to the next level so for me there are concerns about the level of British player we can attract if he is someone we are considering.

We just need players who are the right fit for the club, regardless of where they are from.

So how did a team such as Ross Co get a player like Boyce ? It was because Levein would not look to the British market which he is now conceding was an error. Nothing wrong with bringing in foreign players but the way we do it is more risky because they are not scouted just referrals from agencies and videos.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Notts I've heard the left back plays in the Polish conference, is that correct??

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

So how did a team such as Ross Co get a player like Boyce ? It was because Levein would not look to the British market which he is now conceding was an error. Nothing wrong with bringing in foreign players but the way we do it is more risky because they are not scouted just referrals from agencies and videos.

He was playing in Northern Ireland and obviously wasn't as well known to clubs here. His value and worth then was less than what it is now, County have done extremely well to hold on to him for this long.

Pasquale for King

At no point does that article say we will be only signing Scottish/British players.

But that's where people got the idea, same as the idea we will be playing 3 at the back. At no point did Cathro say we would, he talked about Berra being able to do that as he had experience of doing so. We did at the end of the season as we had no centra halves.

Archived