General Election

Don Dan

AlimOzturk

Are they going to run them on fresh air?

Well, do you think the rail companies the have the contracts run them on fresh air or do you think they run them at a profit? Just like the government will be doing.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

Are they going to run them on fresh air?

The most stupidest post on here in a long time. [emoji23][emoji23]

The Mancunian business man who said he was brought up by salt of the earth labour voters asking why he could support Labour when they were going to increase corporation tax, ten pound and hour minimum wage ABOLISH ZERO HOUR CONTRACTS, and increase fees for his kids educaation I think Corbyn missed an open goal in not nailing him on his issue supporting zero hour contracts

Nobody pays a penny.

The rail franchises come up for renewal every few years and private companies bid for them.

The government will simply not offer any tenders and take over when the franchises expire.

Not one penny spent.

As someone who regularly travels on trains for work. I have an idea of the spiralling costs of maintaining the trains which is reflected on the price of my season ticket. I just don't see how a nationalised rail service is going to make it any better/less costly.

Space Mackerel

As someone who regularly travels on trains for work. I have an idea of the spiralling costs of maintaining the trains which is reflected on the price of my season ticket. I just don't see how a nationalised rail service is going to make it any better/less costly.

Just think, there's a lot of rich Dutch shareholders thanks to you.

AlimOzturk

The most stupidest post on here in a long time. [emoji23][emoji23]

It honestly is.

And that says something.

Probably but it's only a little more expensive compared to the bus fare.

Space Mackerel

Probably but it's only a little more expensive compared to the bus fare.

That's perhaps an argument to nationalise the bus service too.

That's perhaps an argument to nationalise the bus service too.

Doesn't Corbyn's Labour want that too eventually? Just for the record I am not a Corbyn supporter nor am I a May supporter.

deesidejambo

Nobody pays a penny.

The rail franchises come up for renewal every few years and private companies bid for them.

The government will simply not offer any tenders and take over when the franchises expire.

Not one penny spent.

Im a supporter of nationalisation but it is not free.

The franchises expire but the rolling stock belongs to the franchisee and the Govt either has to buy these or construct from scratch all new trains.

The sensible option is to buy the rolling stock and it may also be written into the franchise agreement.

Either way there will be significant costs to buy the trains.  As long as thats costed I'm fine with it.

It honestly is.

And that says something.

Is it really. Have you or space monkey got any idea how the railway franchises work...evidently not. The Franchises do not pay for rolling stock or maintaining the tracks or infrastructure, network rail do. If the franchise holder requires they can claim subsidies from the government. For example Northern Rail claimed 330 million in government subsidies. It costs the Train Operating Companies 5.9 billion to run the national railways that's without maintaining tracks and infrastructure or buying rolling stock.

They make this back from fares. Given most of the cost is staffing what is already considered an under staffed industry just where are Labour going to get the money to nationalise and run this across the nation without significantly increasing rail fares. Labour will tell you the Train Operators make millions and some do but all they actually do is run a train on the routes their franchise permits. It's not the real picture of what it costs to run the entire network.

So see before you follow up a space monkey quote I'd suggest you check out the facts.

Anyone watching leader debate? Corbyn came across ok, I'd prefer to see him being asked who will pay for labour renationalising the railways, which are outrageously expensive to run as it is.

He got an perhaps unexpected open goal. By bring asked about unimportant so called weak points like the monarchy or talking with terrorists he was able to calmly state his case for social justice.

Rather than any difficult questions of actual substance.

Media stuck in seeking drama.

Im a supporter of nationalisation but it is not free.

The franchises expire but the rolling stock belongs to the franchisee and the Govt either has to buy these or construct from scratch all new trains.

The sensible option is to buy the rolling stock and it may also be written into the franchise agreement.

Either way there will be significant costs to buy the trains.  As long as thats costed I'm fine with it.

How much does the government currently pay into the railways?

Thunderstruck

Care to tell us who might be these Dutch Shareholders.

It honestly is.

And that says something.

Just to add to that....network rails debt stands at 38 million. So I'll ask my stupid question again how do labour propose to run these trains....on fresh air? It's also 2029 before the last of these contracts end during that period it's virtually impossible for them to reduce that debt such are the contracts.

SwindonJambo

Care to tell us who might be these Dutch Shareholders.

I think he means Abelio, the Dutch Company who operate the Scotrail Contract.

Wise words from Craig Murray for anyone thinking of voting for SLAB on June 8th [emoji108]

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/05/scottish-love-jeremy-corbyn-vote-snp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's bollocks and is in utter denial of actual electoral arithmetic.

I'm Labour. Aside from Edinburgh South there are about 5 seats Labour can win in Scotland at present on the majorities faced. At best Ed South plus 2 is good for Labour.

The SNP vote is falling because the SNP have so far proposed no positive vision. Labour has.

This is scaremongering folk to vote SNP. It's nuts.

Corbyn handled Paxman quite well .

Certainly didn't get flustered .

Paxman was shite. A waste of space. Audience members gave them a harder time.

Paxman used to be the go too guy to give politicians a hard time. He's lost it! The clear loser on the night.

Thunderstruck

I think he means Abelio, the Dutch Company who operate the Scotrail Contract.

He has - perhaps - had a quick Google and now knows that Abellio is the international arm of Nederlandse Spoorwegen which has only one shareholder - the Dutch Government. This is a model of state ownership favoured in Europe with France and Germany being other examples.

In the UK by comparison, the Rail Infrastructure (Network Rail) has but one owner - HM Government.

Doesn't Corbyn's Labour want that too eventually? Just for the record I am not a Corbyn supporter nor am I a May supporter.

Yes he does.

Wants all local bus services run as they are in Edinburgh.

Maroon Sailor

So much for the Nats saying this GE is not about IndyRef

40 per cent of voters asked say Independence is the most important issue

21 per cent says Brexit is

15 per cent Health

10 per cent Economy

Maroon Sailor

SNP Manifesto in full swing

How many times does Sturgeon say the word ' clear ' ?

Maroon Sailor

Sturgeon

The SNP standing up for Scotland's National Health ....... NOW AND ALWAYS

She said that with a straight face !

Nicola has agreed with Teresa up to a point on Indyref2.

Brexit terms agreed first now.

Tories banging on about Corbyn and Hamas and the IRA are taking a risk. Michael Gove banging on about this in interview just now when talking about security situation now.

Public might have moved on.

Thunderstruck

Meanwhile, away from the land of make believe, it is encouraging to see that another promise has not only been kept but will be exceeded.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/type-31-frigate-order-increased-vessels-assembled-scotland/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=FacebookPage&utm_campaign=social

If the RN accounted for 15% of Scotland's industrial output at the last reckoning, it will soon be 20%.

Treeza falling back to just endlessly repeating "strong and stable" over and over and over again, no matter what question she's actually been asked.

Even the BBC journos are getting bored of that nonsense.

manaliveits105

Nice Glesga gangsta swagger on to stage by Jimmy Krankie but yet again Tories bad but little substance from snp

Treeza falling back to just endlessly repeating "strong and stable" over and over and over again, no matter what question she's actually been asked.

Even the BBC journos are getting bored of that nonsense.

I felt that after last night's debate they both cancelled each other out, shame she didn't want to do it face to face. I think then she would have been found out.

doctor jambo

I listed to the SNP manifesto

If I actually believed any of what she had trotted out I would vote for her

MASSIVE promises- free this, free that, wipe out debt, increase spending , protect pensions this , free personal care, free further education, no cuts in corp tax,

our NHS the best this , education our priority

sadly none of it is true, or no idea where the countless billions she needs to raise are mentioned. certainly based on what she said she needs to raise well over a hundred billion pounds per year

that's some big feckin sofa she's checking for change

John Findlay

MASSIVE promises- free this, free that, wipe out debt, increase spending , protect pensions this , free personal care, free further education, no cuts in corp tax,

sadly none of it is true, or no idea where the countless billions she needs to raise are mentioned. certainly based on what she said she needs to raise well over a hundred billion pounds per year

No different to Labour.

No political party will solve the problems of the NHS. It's to big a monster in this modern world and as a country. Scotland or UK. We can't afford it. But not one politician has the nerve to say so. From any political party.

SwindonJambo

Let's face it - they're all bloody awful in their own ways.

May - If she's that strong and stable, why won't she face a debate?

Corbin - too much dodgy previous with cosying up to terrorise organisations and economically illiterate. And Diane Abbott - give me strength!

Sturgeon - fine ideas but how on Earth are you going to pay for all of that? And please, please stop saying 'free'. NOTHING is free. It's always paid for by someone, somewhere, just not the recipient of the service. And please big up your own policies and stop just bashing 'Tory Austerity'. No one likes or wants austerity but when you are raising less tax than you are spending there's no choice unless you want to go bankrupt.

Farron - Who? Absolutely anonymous and a sanctimonious god botherer.

I'll be so glad when this election is over. We sorely need some better and more credible politicians. It would be nice if a lot more of them actually had some sort of previous career before they entered Politics.

Rant over.

doctor jambo

No different to Labour.

No political party will solve the problems of the NHS. It's to big a monster in this modern world and as a country. Scotland or UK. We can't afford it. But not one politician has the nerve to say so. From any political party.

We can, if people would stop abusing it and clinicians were freed from the complaints process that prevents them ever saying "no".

The NHS could be affordable if you scrapped waiting times for nearly everything and let clinicians judge ...then you could fire all the managers and get back to actual work.

eg- turn up at A&E and you will be seen at some undisclosed point when we are quiet if you have turned up with garbage.......................not 4 hours, which means resources are tanked into AE to meet a target that does not need to exist

frankblack

This is the problem here.

Labour and the SNP (who behave like an opposition party) are promising unaffordable bribes to the electorate, sadly too many of which are thick as pigshit and will swallow it.

Maroon Sailor

This is the problem here.

Labour and the SNP (who behave like an opposition party) are promising unaffordable bribes to the electorate, sadly too many of which are thick as pigshit and will swallow it.

She spoke in front of a few of them today as well

Maroon Sailor

Fully costed - so not free then ?

I was half expecting the SNP to stump up all the cash themselves

deesidejambo

Fully costed - so not free then ?

I was half expecting the SNP to stump up all the cash themselves

Spacey can fund it.  He's loaded.

maroonlegions

The moral of this very sad articule is that it really seems that if you are not a profitable commodity ,(in employment), or unable through no fault of your own to be as such  then you are despised and an easy target to this Tory government.

Tory Austerity cuts have crossed the Rubicon.

What kind of w****** and total James Hunt can dream up such polices that contain such cuts that effect such people.

It seems that it takes a special kind of w******* and pure heartless James Hunt to treat and disrespect such people with these kind of physical disabilities.

Alex has complex physical and mental health needs, and cannot walk unaided. But due to a severe lack of accessible housing in the area, Alex has to live in a?
THEGUARDIAN.COM

AlimOzturk

The moral of this very sad articule is that it really seems that if you are not a profitable commodity ,(in employment), or unable through no fault of your own to be as such then you are despised and an easy target to this Tory government.

Tory Austerity cuts have crossed the Rubicon.

What kind of w****** and total James Hunt can dream up such polices that contain such cuts that effect such people.

It seems that it takes a special kind of w******* and pure heartless James Hunt to treat and disrespect such people with these kind of physical disabilities.

Living with disabilities under austerity: 'We're treated worse than farm animals'

Alex has complex physical and mental health needs, and cannot walk unaided. But due to a severe lack of accessible housing in the area, Alex has to live in a?

THEGUARDIAN.COM

Man, that is brutal. How can a civilized society allow this to happen. How can anyone possibly vote for Tory and ultimately austerity when people are treated like this?

This women has a 1st honers degree in architecture and through no fault of her own finds herself in this situation.

Shocking. Almost in tears

frankblack

Man, that is brutal. How can a civilized society allow this to happen. How can anyone possibly vote for Tory and ultimately austerity when people are treated like this?

This women has a 1st honers degree in architecture and through no fault of her own finds herself in this situation.

Shocking. Almost in tears

Vote Labour and the economy will go bust again like they managed with Blair and Brown.

We are still paying for that one.

Hardly anything in the Tory manifesto has been costed.

And I don't just mean how they're going to pay for it.

They don't even know how much any of it is going to cost!

Add that to 7 years of falling real time wages, the slowest post-crash recovery wince the 1700's and a national debt running at ?1.8trillion and the myth of Tory economic stability is well and truly bust.

re the 2008 crash: Labour did not cause the GLOBAL crash. The yanks did that. In fact, Brown and Darling's plans to rescue the economy were adopted by nations around the world, all of whom have recovered. 
We were at the start of implementing those plans when Cameron and Osbourne ripped them up and caused 7 lost years.

Early 1980s recession: Tory govt.

Black Wednesday and the early 90's crash: Tory govt.

I really wish a credible interviewer would just sit each leader down and go through these manifestos....no time limits and no moving on until the actual question was answered.

Labour and SNP are promising so much just how they're going to do it no one knows especially the SNP just where is this cash coming from and if they can now deliver all this why have they waited until now. Labour would at least have all the income in their power to stretch out across all these to good to be true promises.. The torries offering nothing but taking lots so at least they can say they delivered I suppose.

The latest Mayservative Party tactic is now to campaign on the basis of her simply being the sitting PM. Vote for me because the Brexit talks begin 11 days after the GE and only I am in a position to conduct the talks. Why? Because I'm the PM.

A campaign based on being the current PM and current government. That's what UK GE campaigning has been reduced to. Dangle a wee shiny to the disinterested and ignorant masses. Desperate.. cynical.. yet understandably efficient.

Wee Oor Wullie of the Scottish Libdumbs was hysterical today.

The SNP must think wur aw daft. They're no talking about independence on purpose 'cos it's aw a big plan tae talk aboot it later.

Independence (the opposition of) is all these anti-independence chancers have to offer in the way of campaigning towards the parliament of our political union.

Space Mackerel

We can, if people would stop abusing it and clinicians were freed from the complaints process that prevents them ever saying "no".

The NHS could be affordable if you scrapped waiting times for nearly everything and let clinicians judge ...then you could fire all the managers and get back to actual work.

eg- turn up at A&E and you will be seen at some undisclosed point when we are quiet if you have turned up with garbage.......................not 4 hours, which means resources are tanked into AE to meet a target that does not need to exist

Know anything about this Naylor report?

Care to comment on the points raised in this video.

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/05/30/may-loves-naylorreport-everyone-must-seeshare-video-ge17-nhs/

Archived