General Election

Don Dan

You were saying?

Andrew Neil telt.

Neil was actually in control throughout and was guiding her.

Sturgeon done well. I think she struggled on education and the EU. Overall, not her best as she did seem hesitant and took a few blows.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

Neil was actually in control throughout and was guiding her.

Sturgeon done well. I think she struggled on education and the EU. Overall, not her best as she did seem hesitant and took a few blows.

It would be nice for you to admit it. NS is by far the most accomplished and best politician in the U.K. right now. Regardless of your political views.

Trapper John McIntyre

'My hairstyle has changed and so have my views'

DA7lPv1WsAAhTnK.jpg

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

It would be nice for you to admit it. NS is by far the most accomplished and best politician in the U.K. right now. Regardless of your political views.

"Most accomplished" and "best politician"? No. There's a lot more politicians alive in the UK now who've achieved more and are better than her.

She's the best in Scotland by a fair bit.

I'd also say I was rating her interview. She did well. Better than May anyway. She had less controversial stuff to deal with than Corbyn and his views. But she didn't cope too well on detail both in her own government policies nor on the EU position - 2 key planks to her indyref2 push though.

6/10.

Neil was totally in control. Never telt like you claim. Shows the gulf in quality of interviewer between Scottish political journalism and UK wide though. Much tougher.

Trapper John McIntyre

"How can you have a voice in the Brexit negotiations ? You aren't invited!!"

PISA doesn't matter. Nicola met a headteacher on the street who congratulated her.

PISA doesn't matter. SNP got the most votes last Holyrood election - so people should be happy.

Will Scotland have a more progressive tax regime? No. So, progressive Scottish nationalists. No tax rises whatsoever.

"I don't think we should lower or raise corporation tax" - so no need to devolve the power then.

"if you can listen to what I'm saying" klaxon #2

This cut and paste stuff is brilliant. No need to worry about literacy.

Space Mackerel

"Most accomplished" and "best politician"? No. There's a lot more politicians alive in the UK now who've achieved more and are better than her.

She's the best in Scotland by a fair bit.

I'd also say I was rating her interview. She did well. Better than May anyway. She had less controversial stuff to deal with than Corbyn and his views. But she didn't cope too well on detail both in her own government policies nor on the EU position - 2 key planks to her indyref2 push though.

6/10.

Neil was totally in control. Never telt like you claim. Shows the gulf in quality of interviewer between Scottish political journalism and UK wide though. Much tougher.

Alright, Dennis Skinner, I'll give you that.

'My hairstyle has changed and so have my views'

DA7lPv1WsAAhTnK.jpg

Retweet

Direct message

Spacey has this poster on his Wall.

When you have nothing left to offer, you go after the way they look ...

Pish, never did I make a derogatory comment on Nicola Sturgon's looks, merely the fact that Spacey has the as a poster on his Wall....I suspect.

Space Mackerel

Pish, never did I make a derogatory comment on Nicola Sturgon's looks, merely the fact that Spacey has the as a poster on his Wall....I suspect.

Nicola sends me full frontal nudes through WhatsApp on a daily basis for Party members.

Posters are so 90's.

Spacey has this poster on his Wall.

I certainly do. The Mekon shall guide us to victory. Dan Dare won't save you this time.

Nicola sends me full frontal nudes through WhatsApp on a daily basis for Party members.

Posters are so 90's.

That was reasonably humerus Spacey, well done, now, how about answering me and explaining the double standards in your logic.

Space Mackerel

That was reasonably humerus Spacey, well done, now, how about answering me and explaining the double standards in your logic.

You're thinking of Greek orientated dips.

You're thinking of Greek orientated dips.

There you go again, answer the point I've put to you.

MacDonald Jardine

In principle I don't disagree with any of that, save in theory at least a Scottish Government could raise income tax, and business rates, to counter the effect of UK government austerity measures.

I also think independence would result in a complete redrawing of the political landscape in Scotland.

People will be able to vote for left wing, centre or right wing parties.

Assuming that is the case why do most nationalists insist the SNP hierarchy can do no wrong, whatever the position they take?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Space Mackerel

There you go again, answer the point I've put to you.

You deserve a whoooosh. :)

DA7lPv1WsAAhTnK.jpg

Young_Marti_Pellow__83764__15272.1363397

Retweet

Direct message

You deserve a whoooosh. :)

No, I see what you meant, but I'm still waiting for an answer.

In principle I don't disagree with any of that, save in theory at least a Scottish Government could raise income tax, and business rates, to counter the effect of UK government austerity measures.

I also think independence would result in a complete redrawing of the political landscape in Scotland.

People will be able to vote for left wing, centre or right wing parties.

Assuming that is the case why do most nationalists insist the SNP hierarchy can do no wrong, whatever the position they take?

You mean, in theory at least, we're not better together? You lied to us (insert greety faced smiley here).

Because the SNP are the only viable vehicle to the independent Scotland that would allow us to vote for a left wing, centre or right wing Scottish party (once we fix the centre line) and that is all that they are, the vehicle. All Aboard!

Space Mackerel

No, I see what you meant, but I'm still waiting for an answer.

305db96d0991ec62a22f932d85699e79.jpg

Humous is nice though, more garlicy, the better.

305db96d0991ec62a22f932d85699e79.jpg

Humous is nice though, more garlicy, the better.

And still no answer, c'mon, just answer me.

MacDonald Jardine

You mean, in theory at least, we're not better together? You lied to us (insert greety faced smiley here).

Because the SNP are the only viable vehicle to the independent Scotland that would allow us to vote for a left wing, centre or right wing Scottish party (once we fix the centre line) and that is all that they are, the vehicle. All Aboard!

But that's not the position they espouse is it?

Apparently they also know how to run the likes of Police and Health services better than anyone else.

They're also very clear that any devolution of decision making should stop at Holyrood.

Space Mackerel

But that's not the position they espouse is it?

Apparently they also know how to run the likes of Police and Health services better than anyone else.

They're also very clear that any devolution of decision making should stop at Holyrood.

We are a nation of 5 and a bit million people, a third the size of Greater London last time I checked.

Why do we need all these police and fire authorities with all these top tiers of management?

We are a nation of 5 and a bit million people, a third the size of Greater London last time I checked.

Why do we need all these police and fire authorities with all these top tiers of management?

Why do you have the brass neck to ask questions when won't answer them?

I'm not sure what you mean by your first line but I'm guessing it's something to do with the SNP protecting Scots from the worst of the Tory austerity cuts, which they are doing with free prescriptions and the bedroom tax, which makes Scots in a similar position to their rUK equivalents about ?23 a month better off. That would keep you going on beans on toast for a week, you could even have a couple of eggs on the Friday. Given you imply that you want more, ?23 a month must be nothing to you but there are others that couldn't afford to lose that ?23.

I may be wrong on this but is this not the first time ever that they have been in government? If so, they're doing not too bad a job considering the Tories have had since before Westminster was built and they couldn't have us in more of a state if they tried.

If we are going to be a Country in our own right we will have a central government and councils running the different areas, just like most countries the world over. We could re-define the constituencies to suit the people, not the government (put that in the Constitution as well), but governments are also generally shit the world over so we aren't, under any circumstances, having two of them. That would be doubly shit.

Alright, Dennis Skinner, I'll give you that.

Love the ******* of Bolsover.

Dugdale might have a personal opinion that austerity has to stop but she has no power within the party. You will argue that she does as always but tell me, Scottish Labour are against Trident, you claim that they have autonomy, why have they since changed their stance and have decided to do what branch office told them?

Parties are entitled to express what they wish, but the two defining policies from the unionists appear to be - SNPBAD and No Indy Ref 2.

Far from it. But you seem to only view this through those two things.

If Westminster cuts our budget, what option do they have but to trim services where possible? Some of you seem to reside in a fantasy where money will always be available to mitigate austerity measures.

If there's money to abolish APD there's money for reversing austerity. It's again choices. Make regressive tax change and a bad one in terms of green issues or use the money lined up for the cut to invest in services. No brainer to me.

Plus we've got devolved tax powers with more to follow as part of the phased devolution plan. There's also the underspend the SNP engage in.

You could reform council tax and raise funds that way. Introduce a land tax. The latest Scotland Act allows for new taxesto be created.

To have funds to anything - UK/devolved/indy or any other nation - you must choose how to raise the funds to do it. You seem to suggest Indy will reverse welfare cuts, where will these funds come from?

Corp tax rise? Well no. Sturgeon ruled out backing Labour's proposed increase to 26% (still lower than Labour's last rate of 28%). So where else? These choices need to be made.

The sad thing is. Labour have made pledges with coatings. The SNP never do this because everything is based on post-Indy. And the Tories never cost anything cause they'll u-turn like nobodies business at the drop of a hat.

There's no hatred here mate, more a deep-set frustration at the perilous state of the UK. When practicing in the UK, we worked with people who died because of tory policy. I witnessed Labour prop them up on multiple occasions and decided I'd never vote for them again. The only way out is Independence, I can't understand why others have not came to the same conclusion.

Because by changing the constitutional relationship between Scotland and the rest of the UK will do little to change or reverse these policies. You're blindly believing these changes will happen by nature of us being Scots. I've seen little to suggest that.

I've seen a lot to see we would be a nation wedded to how things are and sacred cows and not being very innovative in policy terms.

What gives you the belief that will happen?

After the election, Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn will be Prime Minister.  No-one else, just one or other of them.  It's a real choice, however much it looks like the Conservatives are going to win at a canter.  And in fairness the manifestos have set up a very distinct choice between the parties for the first time in a generation.  It's also pretty clear that the SNP will go back to Westminster with pretty much the tally of seats they had before the election - there might be a couple of wobbly seats if the SNP lose votes, but not that many.

So if the SNP are going to end up with 50-55 seats, what's the right result from the point of view of Scotland and what we might call "constitutional arrangements"? 

If you're a fan of independence, is it better to get a hung parliament?  Would it be good to see Labour within shouting distance but needing SNP support to form a government?  Could the SNP conceivably do some kind of deal with a minority Tory administration in return for a second referendum or more devolved powers?

If you don't want independence are you better off with the Conservatives getting a handy majority?

Or does any of this matter one way or the other?

After the election, Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn will be Prime Minister.  No-one else, just one or other of them.  It's a real choice, however much it looks like the Conservatives are going to win at a canter.  And in fairness the manifestos have set up a very distinct choice between the parties for the first time in a generation.  It's also pretty clear that the SNP will go back to Westminster with pretty much the tally of seats they had before the election - there might be a couple of wobbly seats if the SNP lose votes, but not that many.

So if the SNP are going to end up with 50-55 seats, what's the right result from the point of view of Scotland and what we might call "constitutional arrangements"? 

If you're a fan of independence, is it better to get a hung parliament?  Would it be good to see Labour within shouting distance but needing SNP support to form a government?  Could the SNP conceivably do some kind of deal with a minority Tory administration in return for a second referendum or more devolved powers?

If you don't want independence are you better off with the Conservatives getting a handy majority?

Or does any of this matter one way or the other

Yes for me. I have already stated that a close call on the election and Labour needing the SNP, Plaid Cymru and representation from Northern Ireland (I mentioned Sin Feinn in my post mostly due to my ignorance of Northern Irish politics, but it got the sentiment across) would be the best possible coalition to take us through the Brexit process. The EU is involving all of their member states but the UK doesn't intend to. Not right to me. In fact, I would go as far as to say, even if there is an outright winner Brexit should be handled by a cross country representative panel, or at the very least, the devolved Governments should be party to the plans and should be able to pass comment on them and instigate changes where need be prior to implementation.

As for the different coalitions it would be up to Labour, would they be brave enough? I think Jeremy would be but the rest of the party and the grass roots supporters? not too sure about that. And it's a no to the Tory coalition, article 30 has already been deployed, can they be seen to be denying our Governments democratic right? Surely such a strong and stable UK Government wouldn't lose a piddly wee Scottish referendum anyway.

I would say it doesn't really matter as it's almost a matter of when rather than if. I think it would have to be a much better save than that Gordon Banks one but the Unionists don't have Gordon Banks. They've got Gordon Marshall in Corbyn right enough but his teams shit.

I would say it doesn't really matter as it's almost a matter of when rather than if. I think it would have to be a much better save than that Gordon Banks one but the Unionists don't have Gordon Banks. They've got Gordon Marshall in Corbyn right enough but his teams shit.

giphy.gif

deesidejambo

Apologies if already posted, but Kezia's face is a picture...

Cli-Tories next?

This election is about Brexit as Brexit should happen within the term of the Government that will be elected in this election. It is not about Independence as Independence cannot happen at Westminster as it is a sovereign Scottish Issue.

The Independence issue is the red herring as this election has nothing to do with Independence in the slightest.

I agree with your opinion on May hiding herself away. It is pretty clear that any politician who has to hide during a GE campaign is worse than shit and anyone voting for a politician who isn't even interested in meeting them let alone listening to them needs their head examined.

I think the reality is that the voters are more interested in domestic issues when it comes to it.

Was about Brexit for May but that could be her downfall.

Curious dynamic. We'll not really know till the BBC exit poll at 10pm next Thursday.

Or does any of this matter one way or the other?

I think the result is going to be interesting on all fronts:

Conservative win:

- Minority (hung in Conservative favour)

The Conservatives will likely be hoping that the scale of such a minority is enough so as to allow for a deal with the DUP and possibly any UUP which win seats. Pretty much erode any need to deal with pro-EU parties. However, if there is need to do deals elsewhere I'd imagine there'd be a deal with the SNP on powers and a referendum (post-Brexit but pre-2021 vote). Probably a deal with the PC for more powers for Wales. But I think the SNP will spurn that. 

They'll bring a budge in the Autumn and it'll be voted down and they'll go to the country later in the year on a "who governs us?" type election. 

May will be removed from leadership in the event her budget falls. New leader. New chance for that majority.

Conservative (majority)

Big Majority: 50 plus - May is safe. She gets to reshape her cabinet (Bojo booted, the last of Cameron's cabinet chucked). She can safely get on with it.

Small Majority: 10-30 - May will be in place, but weakened. She won't be able to be ruthless in shaping her government. She'll likely oversee Brexit, but any further major mishaps (like her U-turn) then she'll be booted by her party. 

Minority (hung in Labour favour)

Corbyn will need to do a few deals: (1) the right of the party: probably agree to bring in a few into the cabinet (likes of Dan Jarvis, Ummuna, Kinnock, Cooper, Murray for Scotland Office) to secure Labour in office, (2) the Lib-Dems, he'll likely try and get a supply and confidence support from them to tide over a first budget and (3) the SNP, again a formal coalition won't happen (neither wants it - imagine months of "Corbyn isn't credible" followed by Joanna Cherry, Angus Robertson and Mike Weir all entering cabinet), again supply and confidence deal to get budget concessions and to have the new EU negotiating position being a presumption in favour of devolving powers and perhaps a referendum deal (I think Labour would actually try to be stronger here and hold off till after 2021).

The thing about any Lab-SNP deal is to a degree Labour hold a stronger hand. If a Tory minority falls the SNP can say they stood strong and done what they said they'd do. If they bring down Labour over the first budget or any confidence or supply vote letting the Tories in they have manifestly failed to do what they're saying they would do. 

- Majority (Labour)

Any majority for Labour cements Corbyn and destroys the Tories.

The SNP, if the predictions of a non-SNP revival are matching the optimistic levels of support in some polls, could face a tough couple of years to come. Say the Liberals win 2 extra seats (Ed West and East Dunbartonshire) and the Tories win say 10 seats with Labour winning 2 or 3 extra seats they'll be down to around 40ish seats. A lot and a majority of seats in Scotland but still a bit of blow given the circumstances of the election. If around 50-55 then they'll go in as usual. They won't do deals with the Tories officially - maybe abstain on some things rather than vote against (make a West Lothian argument). 

I'd likely vote No in a future vote. But I think that any Tory win is not good for the future. So even if the Tories win and it works out for the union it's not what I'd want to see for the long run. A Labour win of any sort, even propped up by the SNP, is preferable to me. My issues with the SNP aren't necessarily about their policies - I'd just like to see them be bolder in government and maybe open themselves up more. 

Overall though, if it stays this way - ebs and flows - I don't think we'll know what's happened till the exit poll on 8 June.

Cli-Tories next?

Boom!

Chapeau!

(obvious reply would be to say "Yes, as they are a bunch of c*&^$!")

Apologies if already posted, but Kezia's face is a picture...

Brilliant, it's always funny when presenters get themselves into a flap.

Brilliant, it's always funny when presenters get themselves into a flap.

Oh very good :thumbsup::gok:

maroonlegions

Knew  it would not take that long for the  governments mouth piece the BBC  to ban this song called "Liar.Liar" by GE 2017. :laugh4:

So the BBC ban Liar Liar song by GE 2017 on their channels. Political influences within a journalistic environment are wrong. This is not that situation. This is music and as such, there should be freedom to be played without Conservative ,(BBC),interference. 

https://youtu.be/HxN1STgQXW8

If anyone feels peshed off enough one can  write an official complaint to the BBC.

Here is the BBC Complaints link

maroonlegions

Brutal , surely the present Tory Home Secretary and May were  briefed on this warning too. :uhoh2:

Known football hooligans can an do get their passports confiscated when major tournaments happen abroad, this should also apply to any KNOWN  terror suspect surely.

Known or suspected individuals suspected of planning or organising terrorist incidents should not be allowed the freedom of movement like ordinary citizens.  

FBI 'warned MI5 in January that Salman Abedi was planning terror attack in UK'

British intelligence agency MI5 was reportedly warned by its US counterpart that Salman Abedi was planning an attack on UK soil, three months before?
INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Maroon Sailor

Going to put these posts in the Manchester Arena thread. You are getting too much pleasure from it

Space Mackerel

Knew it would not take that long for the governments mouth piece the BBC to ban this song called "Liar.Liar" by GE 2017. :laugh4:

So the BBC ban Liar Liar song by GE 2017 on their channels. Political influences within a journalistic environment are wrong. This is not that situation. This is music and as such, there should be freedom to be played without Conservative ,(BBC),interference.

If anyone feels peshed off enough one can write an official complaint to the BBC.

Here is the BBC Complaints link

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?

All profits go to Trussell Trust.

Anyone watching leader debate? Corbyn came across ok, I'd prefer to see him being asked who will pay for labour renationalising the railways, which are outrageously expensive to run as it is.

Anyone watching leader debate? Corbyn came across ok, I'd prefer to see him being asked who will pay for labour renationalising the railways, which are outrageously expensive to run as it is.

Nobody pays a penny.

The rail franchises come up for renewal every few years and private companies bid for them.

The government will simply not offer any tenders and take over when the franchises expire.

Not one penny spent.

Nobody pays a penny.

The rail franchises come up for renewal every few years and private companies bid for them.

The government will simply not offer any tenders and take over when the franchises expire.

Not one penny spent.

Are they going to run them on fresh air?

Bowmans_Boot

I thought he was very impressive and answered most of the difficult questions pretty well.

Archived