General Election

Don Dan

deesidejambo

You haven't got ?50.

Your not far wrong.    Got 50 quid for grass cutting today.  All on Tories for Aberdeen south.

Beware the silent voters.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

Your not far wrong. Got 50 quid for grass cutting today. All on Tories for Aberdeen south.

Beware the silent voters.

You would think all these affluent Toys up there would give you more than ?50 for a full shift, it's not even the minimum wage. Bet the stingy ***** never even offered you juice, tea or a sanny at lunchtime?

Ah well, you reap what you sow. (No pun intended)

True but people are concerned how it would affect what they currently pay.

'The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) has said the LVT might become a ?tax on gardens?, which could tempt homeowners to sell off gardens to lower their bills.

The IPPR warns that there will be ?many losers? and the tax ?might push some heavily mortgaged homeowners over the edge?.

Land Value Tax would be tax on the rental value of land, not counting houses or any other structures built on it.

This means that homeowners with gardens and farmers with agricultural land could see bills rise but those in flats without gardens could pay less."

That's the point in part. Those with more land pay more. Folk like the Buccleuchs will pay more than those living in 1 bed flats in the city centre.

Deciding on non participation in TV debates is one thing but sending a cabinet member instead is simply admitting you've lost the plot and are running scared. What a horrendous decision.

Downgrading the worth of TV debates on the basis of preferring to speak to the public. Ha ha ha. Geez peace. Yet another sign of the wholly dishonest streak running right through her. A ****ing reptile.

That's the point in part. Those with more land pay more. Folk like the Buccleuchs will pay more than those living in 1 bed flats in the city centre.

Folks in flats won't pay anything not even Council tax it will be paid for by the landlords. Tenants won't pay anything!! It will left to the landowners to pay for the bins to emptied and the streets cleaned. The end result will be higher rents to the tenants which will drive up the landlords LVT. It's a stupid idea almost as daft as the Poll tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deesidejambo

Deeside will be getting ?45 for his local grass cutting chores next year :-/

**** that.   Everybody here his loaded and stupid.  I'll get extra for fence-painting.

Space Mackerel

**** that. Everybody here his loaded and stupid. I'll get extra for fence-painting.

That made us laugh [emoji106]

Pans Jambo

Terry Christian (im no fan).

Says it all...

"There's still a slim chance of getting rid of the Tories or stopping their disastrous policies. Remember they love the bankers , the property developers , the energy companies , they have sold off everything of value in this country that we owned and we still pay our taxes to and want to sell off rest of NHS. At last one chance to take some of it back , some of the stuff that Tony Blair should have taken back that was stolen from us all by Thatcher. Don't be a complete masochistic mug. If you earn less that quarter of a million a year , you'll always be worse off under the tories. Don't be fooled by the big money they spend on slogans and meaningless phrases".

This latest STV poll is encouraging for the SNP.

To only lose six seats from an all time high at the last election shows that their vote has stayed solid.

After all their posturing about being the second force in Scotland the Tories may well be overtaken by Labour if the momentum gained UK wide by Labour starts to rub off in Scotland.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Tories back down to 22% or so at the close of play. To think they were bragging about 33% of the vote a while back. Laughable really.

This latest STV poll is encouraging for the SNP.

To only lose six seats from an all time high at the last election shows that their vote has stayed solid.

After all their posturing about being the second force in Scotland the Tories may well be overtaken by Labour if the momentum gained UK wide by Labour starts to rub off in Scotland.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Tories back down to 22% or so at the close of play. To think they were bragging about 33% of the vote a while back. Laughable really.

To be fair, May's manifesto and campaigning coupled with Corbyn's surprise successes in the campaign have split the unionist vote.

Rudolf's Mate

Deciding on non participation in TV debates is one thing but sending a cabinet member instead is simply admitting you've lost the plot and are running scared. What a horrendous decision.

Downgrading the worth of TV debates on the basis of preferring to speak to the public. Ha ha ha. Geez peace. Yet another sign of the wholly dishonest streak running right through her. A ******* reptile.

Think you're being a tad unfair on Nicola [emoji853]

...a bit disco

Nor the bloody disabled with their massive welfare pay outs..................

Is it safe to assume that this comment is tongue in cheek?

Cos' if it isn't...

To be fair, May's manifesto and campaigning coupled with Corbyn's surprise successes in the campaign have split the unionist vote.

Agreed it certainly looks that way.

The election is far more interesting now.

Perhaps the voters are now starting to realise what a dangerous thing it would be to hand the Tories a large majority.

I still think they will win but with a rather similar majority to what they have now. In my opinion this election should never have taken place anyway there was no need.

AlimOzturk

I know you being facetious but Nicola sturgeon if invited would have been Along in a heartbeat. Say what you want about her but she isn't a spineless shitebag like May.

Considering the SNP are now the third largest party in Britain and could be in a coalition running the country soon I think she should have been invited along.

Space Mackerel

I know you being facetious but Nicola sturgeon if invited would have been Along in a heartbeat. Say what you want about her but she isn't a spineless shitebag like May.

Considering the SNP are now the third largest party in Britain and could be in a coalition running the country soon I think she should have been invited along.

Angus Robertson is more than capable of getting the points across as proved last night. He is actually the Deputy Leader and main spokesman for the SNP in Westminster. Nic was getting on with the day job yesterday.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Sturgeon isn't standing for Westminster.

There's far more chance of the 4th biggest party being in a coalition but they weren't invited, despite nationalists from Scotland and Wales being in the debate.

This is the UK general elections.

Sturgeon is not an MP.

Robertson is.

He is also the leader of the SNP in Westminster.

It was right for him to be there last night.

Space Mackerel

Let's face up to facts, Theresa May didn't appear last night because she is absolutely shite. End of story.

Bowmans_Boot

Let's face up to facts, Theresa May didn't appear last night because she is absolutely shite. End of story.

May is not a modern politician in any shape or form. She isnt good with the media, doesnt come over well on TV, is completely unable to win people over through words (bullying would appear to be the preferred method), doesnt seem self confident (just aloof and arrogant) and only appeals to a small minority of people. Quite how she became party leader/PM is a mystery.

She did not appear because she is unable to debate and knew she would "lose" by coming across as arrogant, a bully and intolerant. I would absolutely love to see Nicola Sturgeon in a debate with her, she would destroy her.

Space Mackerel

May is not a modern politician in any shape or form. She isnt good with the media, doesnt come over well on TV, is completely unable to win people over through words (bullying would appear to be the preferred method), doesnt seem self confident (just aloof and arrogant) and only appeals to a small minority of people. Quite how she became party leader/PM is a mystery.

She did not appear because she is unable to debate and knew she would "lose" by coming across as arrogant, a bully and intolerant. I would absolutely love to see Nicola Sturgeon in a debate with her, she would destroy her.

Couldn't have said it better myself [emoji106]

doctor jambo

Nobody else getting sick of the word "free" being used all the time

there should be a law passed that replaces this word with tax funded or something more accurate

Labour now offering free school meals to everyone, regardless of wealth

Free child care

free social care for the elderly, even when their properties are worth millions

continued free bus passes even for the most wealthy

continued winter fuel payments even for the richest

capped rail fares now- which means your London City worker who earns masses will have his travel subsidised by school janitors

these things are not "free" by any stretch of the imagination......

They come from the tax paid by joiners, nurses, bus drivers, teachers, cleaners

This mindless spunking of money with no evidence of benefit or means testing is quit scary!

Rudolf's Mate

I really don't get where people are coming from re May being crap at debates. All we've really got to go on is her performances in PMQ's and tbh she's battered Corbyn in them.

On the back of those I'd have said Corbyn would have struggled. Regardless I'm shocked she's still refusing to do one.

Not appearing was a tactic however it's looking like that's backfiring and she needs to change if she wants to turn things around.

Question for some SNP voters. If the polls show the lead is being cut even further closer to voting. Would anyone vote Labour in order to try and oust the Tories?

there should be a law passed that replaces this word with tax funded or something more accurate

Free child care

capped rail fares now- which means your London City worker who earns masses will have his travel subsidised by school janitors

This mindless spunking of money with no evidence of benefit or means testing is quit scary!

Plenty of evidence regards the benefits of free school meals.

If we want to create an inclusive society then the ethos of universalism fits in with that. I have no qualms about rich people receiving "free" services, as long as they contribute accordingly.

As you say, we pay for these things via taxation so as long as everyone pays their way I don't have an issue with it, as the London city worker will pay their dues as much as the janitor, or nurse etc etc.

What is wrong is rich folk taking these benefits/services but not paying their fair share along the way.

Question for some SNP voters. If the polls show the lead is being cut even further closer to voting. Would anyone vote Labour in order to try and oust the Tories?

Not for me. If I lived in England I'd vote labour. And while I am not an SNP supporter per se, I voted labour at Holyrood for example, the way the Tories have driven the narrative in the election up here minds me to vote to make sure they don't win, so I'll be voting SNP.

If you want to get the SNP out, then Tory seems to be the preferred choice. I can respect dissatisfaction with the SNP, but returning a Tory mp is beyond the pale for me at least.

Bowmans_Boot

I really don't get where people are coming from re May being crap at debates. All we've really got to go on is her performances in PMQ's and tbh she's battered Corbyn in them.

On the back of those I'd have said Corbyn would have struggled. Regardless I'm shocked she's still refusing to do one.

Not appearing was a tactic however it's looking like that's backfiring and she needs to change if she wants to turn things around.

I dont think she comes over well at all at PMQs (albeit nobody generally does, admittedly), in television interviews she appears flustered and unable to cope with criticism (unless it is a pre-rehearsed biased interview), in her speeches she is aloof and arrogant and she just doesnt inspire any confidence in me.

She is a one trick pony: every single issue, every simgle debate just has to come back to being strong in the Brexit negotiations, it is the one and only positive she rhinks she has. The irony is, however, that her arrogance and lack of people skills could actually be very counterproductive and damaging to the UK in the negotiations.

Regarding tactical voting: no, I support the SNP, I believe in them, their policies, their record, their people and their manifesto and so that is where my vote will be going.

No. If Labour get close and want to oust the Tories, they know what they must do. I don't think they have the guts to do it though, Corbyn may consider it but his party would put the kibosh on it.

Space Mackerel

Last 5 posts bar the one aboveI whole heartedly 100% agree with.

There's some good voting advice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

She was invited. As the opening said 7 party leaders were invited, 2 declined.

SwindonJambo

Free child care

With you all the way there. I hate Politicians of any persuasion describing services as being free when they cost someone,somewhere hard earned money - just not the recipient at the point of delivery. People get it into their heads that it actually is free, take it for granted and do a grab all, leading to waste and loss. Taxpayer funded would be a much more accurate definition.

Maroon Sailor

Last 5 posts bar the one aboveI whole heartedly 100% agree with.

There's some good voting advice too.

Voting advice ?

What would you know about that ?

You would vote for Scotland to go to hell in a hand cart if it meant Independence

Free child care

It's called collectivism. It works. Check the NHS.

doctor jambo

Plenty of evidence regards the benefits of free school meals.

If we want to create an inclusive society then the ethos of universalism fits in with that. I have no qualms about rich people receiving "free" services, as long as they contribute accordingly.

As you say, we pay for these things via taxation so as long as everyone pays their way I don't have an issue with it, as the London city worker will pay their dues as much as the janitor, or nurse etc etc.

What is wrong is rich folk taking these benefits/services but not paying their fair share along the way.

Universalism is fine, as long as there is an endless stream of money to pay for it

It was that approach that meant when the big crash happened in 2008 there were no reserves left , no resilience.

everything should be means tested that comes from the tax pot so that it can  be targeted at those who need it

example- the free school meals for P1-3 at the moment in Scotland does not extend to private schools

This means that I (via taxation) am paying to feed the kids of other doctors who earn more than I do, who spend their money on holidays and cars instead of education.

That is the fallacy of "free"

doctor jambo

**** me talk about first world problems, it really is quite an astonishing attitude.

Indeed

Or the other way to look at it is that tax money is being used to feed rich folks kids instead of educating poor peoples kids

And given rich old fold free prescriptions instead of childhood mental health services

Or dishing out winter heating payments to folk in mansions instead of insulating the houses of poor pensioners

the mantra of if you are running out of cash merely demand more, instead of look at what you are doing with what you have is a bit mental- you would not apply it to your personal finances, so why accept it in the public ones?

The national tax take is higher than it has ever been.......so perhaps the issue is NOT in how much is gathered

...a bit disco

Just finished pumping out 200 'Vote SNP-Joanna Cherry' leaflets round my way.

Very few (actually zero) negative responses.

doctor jambo

Means testing often costs more than giving the benefit to all.

Also some are obviously ideology based, like health issues should be free for all at the point of delivery, which I totally agree with.

Some are based on research that show they are actually ecomomically beneficial, for example feeding children properly in the early years is shown to help prevent weight proplems later in life, which will result in savinf NHS spending in the future.

Your analysys is simplistic and therefor flawed.

Your analysis is idealistic and therefore flawed as it lacks objectivity.

Whilst much of what you say would be lovely- I would LOVE my kids being fed for free, summer child care for free, and so on and so forth I am at least realistic enough to know that the money pot is limited

and all expenditure should be targeted at those who need it , not those that want it

Seymour M Hersh

Just finished pumping out 200 'Vote SNP-Joanna Cherry' leaflets round my way.

Very few (actually zero) negative responses.

What do you want? A chocolate watch or a paper hat?

...a bit disco

What do you want? A chocolate watch or a paper hat?

An overwhelming sense of satisfaction after another SNP Scottish landslide will do thanks.

:verysmug:

Maroon Sailor

An overwhelming sense of satisfaction after another SNP Scottish landslide will do thanks.

:verysmug:

Makes no odds - they'll still be useless at the day job at Holyrood

...a bit disco

Makes no odds - they'll still be useless at the day job at Holyrood

Maybe, maybe not MS. But this is a Westminster election.

doctor jambo

Who gets summer shild care for free? have you not said you send your kids to private school, therefor I don't think they should be getting free school meals.

Also you have to remember most of this area is devolved, so if you live in Scotland it is not relevent to this election, other than to Barnet consequences and of course your moral compass.

If we tax high earners more then that can mitigate against them receiving universal benefits as they pay more into the system. Target the tax take rather than means test the benfit.

or spend more wisely, rather than use the taxes ( which are taken from ALL who work) to give rich folks perks

And you think that kids on bursaries/ sholarships at private schools should NOT get free meals, but rich folk with kids at state schools should?

And that giving lawyers' kids a free lunch that they don't need is a good use of a cleaners tax contribution?

Space Mackerel

Voting advice ?

What would you know about that ?

You would vote for Scotland to go to hell in a hand cart if it meant Independence

I think you're being a tad over dramatic.

Maroon Sailor

Maybe, maybe not MS. But this is a Westminster election.

I know - they could have 1 MP down there for all the use the MSP's are in Holyrood

Maroon Sailor

I think you're being a tad over dramatic.

Basically what you said yesterday.

Space Mackerel

Basically what you said yesterday.

It's all black in your world eh?

What did I say likes?

Archived