Sturgeon shelves plan for quick second Scottish independence referendum

Gorgiewave

The EU were about to pass laws just before the Brexit referendum clamping down on tax evasion.

Somehow the UK voted out when it has its own funny laws regarding practices in the Isle of Man, Jersey and the British Virgin Islands etc.

Remember the Panama papers?

It's quite possible this whole Brexit thing has been manipulated from the start to protect these people in power and their hidden dosh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes... a political movement of 30 odd years began to stop laws made in 2016?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

Think outside the box please.

The world isn't as nice and fluffy and straightforward as it appears.

Democracy is "managed" all over the world. You just have to look at owns all the media output and who their mates are. It ain't rocket science.

The EU were about to pass laws just before the Brexit referendum clamping down on tax evasion.

Somehow the UK voted out when it has its own funny laws regarding practices in the Isle of Man, Jersey and the British Virgin Islands etc.

Remember the Panama papers?

It's quite possible this whole Brexit thing has been manipulated from the start to protect these people in power and their hidden dosh.

Ah yes, the Panama Papers. I'm sure you recall that much of Scotland's PFI/NPD debt is due to Offshore Financial Institutions. For the avoidance of doubt, that is not the Bank of Scotland in Brodick.

Space Mackerel

Ah yes, the Panama Papers. I'm sure you recall that much of Scotland's PFI/NPD debt is due to Offshore Financial Institutions. For the avoidance of doubt, that is not the Bank of Scotland in Brodick.

Nice deflection.

Getting the feeling you've been sold a kipper by the rich elite and their Tory puppets...maybe?

Space Mackerel

1f0b9558f2f6b62c244c986584a6633f.jpg

Malcolm X kent.

Think outside the box please.

The world isn't as nice and fluffy and straightforward as it appears.

Democracy is "managed" all over the world. You just have to look at owns all the media output and who their mates are. It ain't rocket science.

Indeed. The world isn't nice nor is it black and white, your posts above suggest otherwise on the independence issue, but I take your point.

Honestly, it's happened. Brexit has occurred and we can only move on from there. Independence from the UK now, to me, is a bad idea. It makes no sense to have further upheaval and further transition, with all the economic consequences which would come from that, on top of Brexit, is purely a fools mission.

1f0b9558f2f6b62c244c986584a6633f.jpg

Malcolm X kent.

And I agree with him totally. It's why i never back nationalism of any kind. It deflects from dealing with the issues of poverty, inequality and injustice within and without your community.

Poverty in Glasgow was no different to me in it's injustice as it is in Liverpool or in Bruges. It's why I back the UK and why I back the EU.

Space Mackerel

And I agree with him totally. It's why i never back nationalism of any kind. It deflects from dealing with the issues of poverty, inequality and injustice within and without your community.

Poverty in Glasgow was no different to me in it's injustice as it is in Liverpool or in Bruges. It's why I back the UK and why I back the EU.

It's nothing to do with Nationalism. It's about who controls who.

Just like here, the political leaders suck up the arse of Murdoch and his lackeys. The Scotsman up here is owned by the Barclay Brothers who are massive Tory donors.

They are all ultra right wing in their beliefs. I would go as as far and say they are all closet Nazi's. Same with Trump and the Bush's, Senior and Junior.

My friends daughter was turned down for a place at Edinburgh Uni because thanks to free tuition etc, the Unis need to take on more foreign and overseas students to fund the courses, meaning Scottish applicants are rejected once their quota is reached for each course.

Would be interested to hear from others if this is correct. If it is, its a disgrace.

It's correct. The Universities and Colleges have bring in a significant proportion of students who will pay fees. This will come from the rest of the U.K. and everywhere else except the EU. This limits the number of places for non-fee payers.

It seems that the Scottish Government no longer offsets the total amount of fees lost to free places.

Space Mackerel

Which is arguably what political nationalism boils down to.

I hate to burst your bubble but I'm not a haggis munching, kilt wearing, saltire waving hoots mon see you Jimmy hat wearing one.

I just want the best for for immediate, friends, family and future generations.

I see that future away from the neo liberal, war mongering pack in Westminster.

I hate to burst your bubble but I'm not a haggis munching, kilt wearing, saltire waving hoots mon see you Jimmy hat wearing one.

I'm not saying you are a haggis munching TA member. But the idea you are talking about is political nationalism. You think Scots alone will be better governors than Scots and other people British people. Political nationalism.

Key word is political. It describes the nationalism which follows.

Space Mackerel

I'm not saying you are a haggis munching TA member. But the idea you are talking about is political nationalism. You think Scots alone will be better governors than Scots and other people British people. Political nationalism.

Key word is political. It describes the nationalism which follows.

Scotland hasn't had a political voice in Westminster that I can remember, not even under the Brown and Blair days.

Anyway, should you not be watching your leaders debate on Sky News right now?

That's all you've understood so far?

That says a lot about you.

And that post tells me all I need to know about you. Typical nat.You can dish it but you can't take it.

Not for kids from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Or Rest of UK as they like to call it in the Funding Council's TRAC return.

But, as you know, the Scottish Government has no jurisdiction over rUK.

Space Mackerel

And that post tells me all I need to know about you. Typical nat.You can dish it but you can't take it.

Actually, your initial "joke" wasn't worth my "ditty" response.

Me bad.

My friends daughter was turned down for a place at Edinburgh Uni because thanks to free tuition etc, the Unis need to take on more foreign and overseas students to fund the courses, meaning Scottish applicants are rejected once their quota is reached for each course.

Would be interested to hear from others if this is correct. If it is, its a disgrace.

Pretty much correct. For the scottish government funded students the unis get a grant that equals x number of students. If they take in too many scottish and eu students they get money clawed back. If they take less than the quota they get money clawed back. So they make up the difference and make a profit with fee paying rest of UK and world students where there are no quotas.

Space Mackerel

Pretty much correct. For the scottish government funded students the unis get a grant that equals x number of students. If they take in too many scottish and eu students they get money clawed back. If they take less than the quota they get money clawed back. So they make up the difference and make a profit with fee paying rest of UK and world students where there are no quotas.

You and your quotas. [emoji849]

Sounds like a statement from Sunderland about the EU Fisheries Policy.

This is what drives me crazy about independence/nats. Its independence at ANY cost. No plan, no fundamental argument for/against. Just use "the tories" as an emotional blackmail.

Let's assume they are what you call "neo liberal & war mongering" (that's a sensationalist peddle). So what has that got to do with your friends and family and the future generation?? Absolutely zilch. The only thing that will impact them is the economic argument and frankly it's not even an arguement. Scotland cannot sustain itself economically right now, it couldn't now or 2 years ago when the vote happened and by god it can't do it now. Just look at the budget deficit versus countries against the rest of the developed world!

Do I like the tories? Absolutely not. Do I like SNP? I'd rather 100 years of Tory rule than independence. Far less an independent country run by the bloody SNP!!

Does that make me less Scottish? Absolutely not and if happily stand up to scrutiny on that.

Space Mackerel

This is what drives me crazy about independence/nats. Its independence at ANY cost. No plan, no fundamental argument for/against. Just use "the tories" as an emotional blackmail.

Let's assume they are what you call "neo liberal & war mongering" (that's a sensationalist peddle). So what has that got to do with your friends and family and the future generation?? Absolutely zilch. The only thing that will impact them is the economic argument and frankly it's not even an arguement. Scotland cannot sustain itself economically right now, it couldn't now or 2 years ago when the vote happened and by god it can't do it now. Just look at the budget deficit versus countries against the rest of the developed world!

Do I like the tories? Absolutely not. Do I like SNP? I'd rather 100 years of Tory rule than independence. Far less an independent country run by the bloody SNP!!

Does that make me less Scottish? Absolutely not and if happily stand up to scrutiny on that.

It's not really just the Torys though now is it, it's the Owen Smiths and the rest of the crowd from New Labour. They're all the same.

It's not really just the Torys though now is it, it's the Owen Smiths and the rest of the crowd from New Labour. They're all the same.

No. Not at all. Why are they all the same? Under a shambolic opposition in labour you have a leader more "liberal" than your pals at the SNP? How is he then the same?

No offence to you mate, but I get frustrated at nationalists just peddling sound bite after sound bite. It's political and not fact based. For me the only factual argument is economic and economically my family and my children are better as part of the U.K. Does my heart want Scotland to be independent? Perhaps, in a way. Do I seriously think Scotland and my family would be better off? Absolutely not. In fact should Scotland go down that route it would break my heart but we would move down south.

Space Mackerel

No. Not at all. Why are they all the same? Under a shambolic opposition in labour you have a leader more "liberal" than your pals at the SNP? How is he then the same?

No offence to you mate, but I get frustrated at nationalists just peddling sound bite after sound bite. It's political and not fact based. For me the only factual argument is economic and economically my family and my children are better as part of the U.K. Does my heart want Scotland to be independent? Perhaps, in a way. Do I seriously think Scotland and my family would be better off? Absolutely not. In fact should Scotland go down that route it would break my heart but we would move down south.

Up to you where you go, personally, if you want a better society then the better than average earners need to dig a little bit deeper, along with the businesses.

Plenty money in Scotland, and the UK for that matter, the problem is the re-distribution of it. The top 1% could start and lead by example but you know that will never happen.

Good attempt at deflection.      Stopping Scottish students from getting places at Uni is shameful.

Space Mackerel

Good attempt at deflection. Stopping Scottish students from getting places at Uni is shameful.

You almost sound like Sep or a Nat [emoji23]

Scotland hasn't had a political voice in Westminster that I can remember, not even under the Brown and Blair days.

Anyway, should you not be watching your leaders debate on Sky News right now?

Don't get Sky News. Council tele for me!

Scotland's always had a political voice. It's through her MPs.

That's like saying Edinburgh has no voice at Holyrood because Edinburgh has never run Scotland.

Space Mackerel

Don't get Sky News. Council tele for me!

Scotland's always had a political voice. It's through her MPs.

That's like saying Edinburgh has no voice at Holyrood because Edinburgh has never run Scotland.

You can get Sky News through digital Freeview tele.

And I would say that why Inverness has had no voice in Holyrood, lucky we have a more democratically elected system here so it's a fair representation, unlike some places that use FPTP eh?

You almost sound like Sep or a Nat [emoji23]

No I leave that to you and Aussie, and Boris.   

To others - is the blocking of Scottish applicants widely-known?   Would be interested to know if its a common issue or something isolated.

Space Mackerel

No I leave that to you and Aussie, and Boris.

To others - is the blocking of Scottish applicants widely-known? Would be interested to know if its a common issue or something isolated.

Maybe it's a simple case of not having the grades to make the course?

Welcome to adulthood and all in entails.

Maybe it's a simple case of not having the grades to make the course?

Welcome to adulthood and all in entails.

Nothing of the sort - she had well above the entry grades and was explicitly told she was turned down due to the quota for home students being reached.

So you keep spouting on your nonsense.   The fact is its true.

The question is how widespread is this?

You can get Sky News through digital Freeview tele.

And I would say that why Inverness has had no voice in Holyrood, lucky we have a more democratically elected system here so it's a fair representation, unlike some places that use FPTP eh?

Again though, Scotland has 59 Westminster seats. That's a voice. A not inconsiderable voice.

Small communities always have a smaller voice. I've mates from Shetland, all say they'd rather be given a stronger island council (devolution from Holyrood) than put up with an SNP administration in Edinburgh or a Tory one in London.

And why not? Further away from Edinburgh than Bergen. Further from Edinburgh than Edinburgh is from London.

Space Mackerel

Nothing of the sort - she had well above the entry grades and was explicitly told she was turned down due to the quota for home students being reached.

So you keep spouting on your nonsense. The fact is its true.

Too slow to apply then?

I've no idea, I joined up after leaving school, served Queen and Country till I sussed out the way that we were used as big business as a semi form of private army for their shareholders and their Tory henchmen [emoji41]

Space Mackerel

Again though, Scotland has 59 Westminster seats. That's a voice. A not inconsiderable voice.

Small communities always have a smaller voice. I've mates from Shetland, all say they'd rather be given a stronger island council (devolution from Holyrood) than put up with an SNP administration in Edinburgh or a Tory one in London.

And why not? Further away from Edinburgh than Bergen. Further from Edinburgh than Edinburgh is from London.

Now you're understanding the crux of the argument, more devolved power.

I'm sure Shetlanders needs are different from the central belt. I would be livid too about spending ?1billion on a shite train line that's half the size.

Don't tell me this is another area of your expertise. I've only worked in higher education for the last 13 years so any insight or opinion you can offer would be great. Assuming of course you can find an article that you can copy and paste.

So you keep spouting on your nonsense. The fact is its true.

It applies across Scotland although it is hardly news. You only need to go to a Graduation to see the scale.

There was an article about this within the past couple of days but, unfortunately, today is recycling collection and it's gone.

I'm sure Shetlanders needs are different from the central belt. I would be livid too about spending ?1billion on a shite train line that's half the size.

What about spending millions on an airport rai link that the same Party scrapped 6 or 7 years ago (after spending millions) and then trying to make it look like it was Glasgow's and Renfrewshire's problem.

Space Mackerel

Don't tell me this is another area of your expertise. I've only worked in higher education for the last 13 years so any insight or opinion you can offer would be great. Assuming of course you can find an article that you can copy and paste.

I've already told you my expertise.

Space Mackerel

What about spending millions on an airport rai link that the same Party scrapped 6 or 7 years ago (after spending millions) and then trying to make it look like it was Glasgow's and Renfrewshire's problem.

Link please to whatever you're waffling about?

But they don't want independence. They want devolution of power within the bigger whole. A variation of power.

I'm happy with devolution for Scotland. I don't want independence. I don't see the sense in breaking away from a bigger whole of people who in more ways than not are like us.

But they don't want independence. They want devolution of power within the bigger whole. A variation of power.

I'm happy with devolution for Scotland. I don't want independence. I don't see the sense in breaking away from a bigger whole of people who in more ways than not are like us.

Your 2nd paragraph is where I'm at.

Space Mackerel

Last 10 words or so are a jumble

Space Mackerel

Reading definitely not your area of expertise then.....

You can decipher then [emoji106]

Archived