Brexit?

aussieh

Sawdust Caesar

Sorry to nitpick but why "anyone at the bottom" and "those at the top"? Do you think there are not many at the bottom and many in the middle and even some at the top who abuse benefits?

There wasn't any intention behind my language, I probably used any one because benefit fraud we think of individuals but tax avoiders we think companies.

The people who defraud benefits tend to be the ones at the bottom (but not always) as they are mostly the ones claiming them, whilst the vast majority of tax evasion is carried out by the self-employed and small and medium sized businesses and illegal tax avoidance is done by the very rich and the big companies, so folks from both ends of the spectrum and plenty in the middle are at it, just in one way or another.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

These "stories" in so far as they can be understood are complete rubbish. Anyone who reads them will quickly realise that they have been manufactured for the further indoctrination of the hard line no surrender Unionists. There are no substantive facts and in some cases the content contradicts the headline. They are worse than junk they are just innuendo and smears.

The Telegraph headline states that Nicola failed to disclose a meeting with Murdoch in the headline but states later that Murdoch was invited in at the end of a meeting with the editor of the Wall St Journal. The editor apparently stated that the talks were published in the journal but the Telegraph reports that Murdoch was not mentioned. They are implying that Nicola, Murdoch and the editor are in some sort of a conspiracy as they clearly state that no private meeting took place. The headline should have read that Nicola failed to disclose a meeting with Murdoch that she never had. Her meeting was with the editor of the Wall St Journal.

They have nothing on her, that's why they routinely make this rubbish up. Frenchgate being a prime example of the behaviour of the Telegraph. The fact that some people are willing to believe this rubbish as they did with Frenchgate and the Chinese deals that weren't, shows that people are only too willing to believe the propaganda no matter how weak it is. Cultish behaviour if ever I saw it.

These "stories" in so far as they can be understood are complete rubbish. Anyone who reads them will quickly realise that they have been manufactured for the further indoctrination of the hard line no surrender Unionists. There are no substantive facts and in some cases the content contradicts the headline. They are worse than junk they are just innuendo and smears.

The Telegraph headline states that Nicola failed to disclose a meeting with Murdoch in the headline but states later that Murdoch was invited in at the end of a meeting with the editor of the Wall St Journal. The editor apparently stated that the talks were published in the journal but the Telegraph reports that Murdoch was not mentioned. They are implying that Nicola, Murdoch and the editor are in some sort of a conspiracy as they clearly state that no private meeting took place. The headline should have read that Nicola failed to disclose a meeting with Murdoch that she never had. Her meeting was with the editor of the Wall St Journal.

They have nothing on her, that's why they routinely make this rubbish up. Frenchgate being a prime example of the behaviour of the Telegraph. The fact that some people are willing to believe this rubbish as they did with Frenchgate and the Chinese deals that weren't, shows that people are only too willing to believe the propaganda no matter how weak it is. Cultish behaviour if ever I saw it.

She did meet with Murdoch though, yes? In whatever capacity it happened, she met Murdoch, so not 'rubbish' then? And Salmond, is that all 'rubbish' too, is that a super imposed picture of him with Murdoch?

Space Mackerel got it right when joking about the SNP using guerrilla tactics, no different to any other political party or career politician, they'll do and say, and act in a way that they think the public want to see and hear, while pursuing their own personal agenda. Hillary Clinton let the cat out the bag with her 'public, private persona' gaffe

The Mighty Thor

Apparently the Times and BBC have seen a leaked government memo which confirms there is in fact no Brexit plan.

I'm shocked [emoji38]

Join us next week for the startling revelation that bears do indeed defecate in the woods.

Maggie May needs to stop fannying about coorying up to the dregs of the former empire and start cracking on with getting this shambles sorted out.

Space Mackerel

Apparently the Times and BBC have seen a leaked government memo which confirms there is in fact no Brexit plan.

I'm shocked [emoji38]

Join us next week for the startling revelation that bears do indeed defecate in the woods.

Maggie May needs to stop fannying about coorying up to the dregs of the former empire and start cracking on with getting this shambles sorted out.

No plan? You're joking right? :lol:

There's plenty of advice on here how to proceed.....oh, wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No plan? You're joking right? :lol:

There's plenty of advice on here how to proceed.....oh, wait.

They could speak to the guy who runs the Football Manager game franchise - he came up with a plan to cover all permutations.

Space Mackerel

They could speak to the guy who runs the Football Manager game franchise - he came up with a plan to cover all permutations.

The very thing they go on about, globalisation and immigration, starts off with secret deals to protect Japanese car manufacturers.

What an utter farce.

Fair enough. I was thinking of the unused right to vary income tax, but you are correct on council tax.

I still think the fact that the SNP has to be a broad coalition if it is to achieve its primary aim means it and hence the Scottish Parliament is somewhat neutered on other issues.

Agreed, that's why, after independence they'll disband. imo

Francis Albert

I'm shocked [emoji38]

A memo from a consultant saying it will take many months (no doubt including many more consultants) to develop a "plan", and reporting that business leaders are worried. Quelle surprise.

I am not sure of the extent you can have a plan even before negotiatiions begin and you have no idea of the outcome. Cameron promised to trigger Article 50 the day after the vote, presumably without a "plan".

The Mighty Thor

A memo from a consultant saying it will take many months (no doubt including many more consultants) to develop a "plan", and reporting that business leaders are worried. Quelle surprise.

I am not sure of the extent you can have a plan even before negotiatiions begin and you have no idea of the outcome. Cameron promised to trigger Article 50 the day after the vote, presumably without a "plan".

5 months down the line and nada. Not even the first idea apart from needing thousands of consultants to spunk huge amounts of money.

Where's Davis Davis and the rabid Fox?

How long does it take to come up with a plan? How ones a piece of string?

People making claims outside the room are only guessing and stirring the pot. They've already been told there won't be a running commentary. They don't like being ignored, they don't want Brexit so they do their level best to destroy it. We have until at least the end of march and if we need longer so be it, the ball's in our court not theirs or Europes. When we are ready we will be ready to trigger and begin negotiations.

Seymour M Hersh

5 months down the line and nada. Not even the first idea apart from needing thousands of consultants to spunk huge amounts of money.

Good to see the remainers retaining a balanced open mind.  It would have been so easy to descend into hysterical scaremongering and hyperbole...

So the report is from Deloite whose UK CEO signed a letter demanding the UK remain in the run-up to the referendum. Quelle surprise.

Francis Albert

So says one consultant in one leaked memo.

1 and 2, agree completely.

3, illegal immigrants can't consume anything, they can't claim benefits if they aren't meant to be here.

4, agree in principle but you'd need a robust system to adequately categorise people. Based on how bad it is currently, it'd likely turn into an excuse to punish everyone.

5, agree. You should receive support for a first child from the state, the rest you should provide yourself.

6, much more complicated than that. What if the outflux is 2,000 electrictians because we've too many but we are short 10,000 doctors?

7, cut I don't necessarily agree. Better handle on where it goes or use it to directly do things in these countries rather than actually hand over the cash, definitely.

8, state shouldn't pay a penny to private healthcare or schools. Folk can set up their own if they wish.

8 and 9, religion should absolutely not get any tax breaks.

10 and 11, would support some form of this.

12, I'd rather we outlawed them tbh.

Thanks for your response, had to wait till at work and not on my phone so I can dissect this,

3. Illegal immigrants and economic migrants are my key areas of concern.  

Firstly, illegal immigrants obviously do not contribute in any way shape or form but they consume is more what I meant as opposed to claiming benefits.  They also take jobs away from those who would contribute.  Why should hard working people in this country pay for their sewage, water, waste disposal, NHS treatment etc?  We need to get every last one out of this country.

Secondly, I love to see people come and go in this country and I could not care where they come from (at least now since Brexit we may see a bit more than Eastern Europeans), I could not care if they are black, white, purple or green as long as someone has something to offer, is willing to fit in, contribute and respect our way of life, they get the i8hibsh open arms and a smile.  I do not want to see someone coming in selling the Big Issue just to be classed as 'in employment' and get on the benefit ladder.  Not really a fan of someone coming here to work and send the majority of then money back home either.

4. For me it is easy.  If someone is not pro-actively looking for work and turns down any job regardless how menial they receive no benefits.  Give some of their benefits to those who are actively seeking and have been dealt a tough hand.

6.  We are losing a lot of skills to places like Australia, mainly trades and nursing I believe - we must try match like for like - it is not as if we will be short of applications so will not be difficult.

7. We do need to have more control of where our money is going - I think we would all agree.  It is our money after all.

8. Apologies, I never meant from public funds and I guess this is not a call for Number 11  but I feel the government should do all it can to encourage more private sector hospitals and schools. Perhaps tax breaks  as an incentive.  To ease the strain on the public sector is invaluable.

9. It is a joke, ffs Scientology gets tax breaks!! scientfooookingtology (not that that is any less better than Christianity and the other big guns I may add)

10. Many many places are taking the piss and getting away with charitable status. Sad but true (mainly religiously affiliated ones).  I heard that even some private schools are classed as charities. 

12. Cold callers are becoming more of a world nuisance than mosquitoes - anything we can do to punish them is fine by me.

The Mighty Thor

Good to see the remainers retaining a balanced open mind. It would have been so easy to descend into hysterical scaremongering and hyperbole...

So the report is from Deloite whose UK CEO signed a letter demanding the UK remain in the run-up to the referendum. Quelle surprise.

The Brexiteers could remove all the doubt and uncertainty by cracking on with it.

They must have been confident of winning, right?

Instead it's all fudge and bluster with the current PM whoreing the UK as a business partner destination to absolutely anyone at all.

Testing the water to see what reception a newly unencumbered UK gets before she decides which way to jump.

Laughable. Buttering up the Indians with promises of fast track immigration in the hope of selling a few baubles.

The self-servatives really haven't got a scooby.

Thanks for your response, had to wait till at work and not on my phone so I can dissect this,

3. Illegal immigrants and economic migrants are my key areas of concern.  

Firstly, illegal immigrants obviously do not contribute in any way shape or form but they consume is more what I meant as opposed to claiming benefits.  They also take jobs away from those who would contribute.  Why should hard working people in this country pay for their sewage, water, waste disposal, NHS treatment etc?  We need to get every last one out of this country.

Secondly, I love to see people come and go in this country and I could not care where they come from (at least now since Brexit we may see a bit more than Eastern Europeans), I could not care if they are black, white, purple or green as long as someone has something to offer, is willing to fit in, contribute and respect our way of life, they get the i8hibsh open arms and a smile.  I do not want to see someone coming in selling the Big Issue just to be classed as 'in employment' and get on the benefit ladder.  Not really a fan of someone coming here to work and send the majority of then money back home either.

Surely the real issue is the unscrupulous business owners who employ them?  As an aside, if an illegal immigrant  went to a hospital, wouldn't they then be found out as an illegal immigrant?

Surely the real issue is the unscrupulous business owners who employ them?  As an aside, if an illegal immigrant  went to a hospital, wouldn't they then be found out as an illegal immigrant?

Probably not, no.

I can't stress how draconian the fines should be for these business owners. Scumbags.

It just shows how incorporated we were with the EU.

Glad us plebs voted leave.

Thats 30 years of union and eventually we would have had to marry up fiscally.

This raises the question of how difficult breaking a 300 + year union would be.

And when you see the negative daily reports from the media.

The self interest of fund managers the lack of respect for democracy from independence voters(some) you have to wonder the hurdles that will be put up if Scotland voted to break away from the union.

Hope certain nationalist supporters remember their own words if that ever happens.

Probably not, no.

I can't stress how draconian the fines should be for these business owners. Scumbags.

Only fines, my, you are mellowing!

Government are reporting that the memo was written for Cameron & co and the author of the memo hasn't been inside Downing Street since Cameron walked.

So if that account is correct then the memo is at least 5 months old minimum.

Government are reporting that the memo was written for Cameron & co and the author of the memo hasn't been inside Downing Street since Cameron walked.

What more scaremongering from the press over brexit.

Oh sorry i must be racist.

Rudolf's Mate

That'll be the pound that not so longer ago you were adamant Scotland could retain once gaining independence?

You are at times. Very! :wink:

Quite.

You sound like my 4th year English teacher.

i8hibsh what are you doing?

Nothing Miss

Exactlyl!

Quite.

You sound like my 4th year English teacher.

i8hibsh what are you doing?

Nothing Miss

Exactlyl!

Hahahaha!

Quiet at the back.

She did meet with Murdoch though, yes? In whatever capacity it happened, she met Murdoch, so not 'rubbish' then? And Salmond, is that all 'rubbish' too, is that a super imposed picture of him with Murdoch?

Space Mackerel got it right when joking about the SNP using guerrilla tactics, no different to any other political party or career politician, they'll do and say, and act in a way that they think the public want to see and hear, while pursuing their own personal agenda. Hillary Clinton let the cat out the bag with her 'public, private persona' gaffe

The Telegraph is misrepresenting reality. This is now commonplace and effected by offering an inaccurate or misleading headline. The headline is often contradicted, as it is here, by the main content of the story. If they did not do this they could be challenged for not telling the truth. It is an effective method of propaganda as many consumers of newsprint do not read the whole story. There have been several examples of this pointed out on this site.

In this case the Telegraph's headline states that "Nicola Sturgeon fails to disclose Rupert Murdoch meeting". The problem with this headline is that Nicola did not have a meeting with Murdoch in her diary as none had been arranged. This is pointed out by Tory MSP Jackson Carlaw who said "Given this was one of the most significant things the First Minister did while in the US, it?s odd that it wasn?t included in her schedule."

Of course Carlaw's words are rubbish, he only makes the statement to cause trouble IMO. The meeting with Murdoch was not on her schedule because she had no meeting with Murdoch planned. It is a mischievous fabrication to suggest she did. The quote from Carlaw also states that it was one of the most significant things Nicola did whilst in NY. The article tells us different. She met the chairperson of the IMF, industrialists, appeared on prime time TV as well as her meeting with the editor of the Wall Street Journal. Carlaw thinks she was "hobnobbing". This is nothing more than a jealous second rate politician trying to trivialise Nicola's work and efforts on behalf of Scotland and also making her sound dishonest by suggesting that she had something to hide. Most likely Carlaw and Rennie were fed the info from the Telegraph reporter. They might even have thought there was a formal meeting with Murdoch but should have checked before making their statements.

What the article claims did happen is that ?The editor-in-chief invited Mr Murdoch in towards the end of the meeting to greet the First Minister. No private meeting took place.? I wouldn't describe a greeting between two prominent people as a meeting unless I wanted to convey something at odds with the truth. They have taken the unscheduled nature of this greeting as a sign of secrecy and turned the greeting into a suggestion of some conspiratorial meeting. It is standard newspaper rubbish. 

It is important though because this kind of crap continues to draw people in. They are left with an impression, but have no facts to back that up. As soon as you challenge their prejudices they recoil and sometimes disappear.  The impression created by those rags are always anti- Scottish and anti working class. They create a new batch of badly educated people willing to believe the worst about their own communities. If you believe the content of this article and the countless others like it, it naturally follows that you would distrust the leaders of the SNP and question the intelligence of those who vote for them.

You might want to ask why it is, when there have been so many stories written against the SNP, so few have stuck. You might also want to ask why the perpetrators of these lies keep doing it. What sort of hypocrisy condemns Salmond and Sturgeon for colluding with  same corrupt Press barons that employ these mendacious reporters? Could it be that they are not colluding at all?

If we really do Brexit we will need all the help we can get. The last thing we need is a Tory rag making up stories and trying to destroy the reputation of our first minister who has been very well received all over the world. 

Francis Albert

If so I look forward to the BBC's retraction or "clarification". Doubt we will see one though.

So basically it doesn't matter who wrote the memo and when as it's all true anyway.

And she is a "government cheerleader"?

I'd say she is, but that's just my opinion.

Space Mackerel

That'll be the pound that not so longer ago you were adamant Scotland could retain once gaining independence?

Always favoured an independent currency after we have asset stripped the U.K. [emoji2]

Always favoured an independent currency after we have asset stripped the U.K. [emoji2]

You really can't hide your core Tory beliefs behind sarcasm you know.

Rudolf's Mate

Chortle, like that's gonna happen  :olly:

Space Mackerel

You really can't hide your core Tory beliefs behind sarcasm you know.

You should look in to the financial arrangements of how countries in the past have split and shared resources under international treaties. Scotland is quids in regardless.

Daydream Believer

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/15/britain-probably-leaving-eu-customs-union-says-boris-johnson

So we are probably leaving the customs union. Nice of us to get that info second hand!

It's a good job that the government have invested so heavily in keeping the resources and experience required in the civil service departments that will have to deal with all of this then.

Space Mackerel

It's a good job that the government have invested so heavily in keeping the resources and experience required in the civil service departments that will have to deal with all of this then.

Thats it, Daydream has sussed the balance of payments deficit, just what we need, loads of red tape and paper shufflers. 30,000 of them.

Seymour M Hersh

The Brexiteers could remove all the doubt and uncertainty by cracking on with it.

They must have been confident of winning, right?

Instead it's all fudge and bluster with the current PM whoreing the UK as a business partner destination to absolutely anyone at all.

Testing the water to see what reception a newly unencumbered UK gets before she decides which way to jump.

Laughable. Buttering up the Indians with promises of fast track immigration in the hope of selling a few baubles.

The self-servatives really haven't got a scooby.

And no doubt you'd use Mj?lnir to crack heads and have had it sorted by now. 

Space Mackerel

And no doubt you'd use Mj?lnir to crack heads and have had it sorted by now.

Not happening for years now, Supreme Court member says so tonight.

Archived