Brexit?

aussieh

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/remain-and-leave-voters-are-surprisingly-united-on-backing?utm_term=.waWZwmn38#.al4axORW0

Very surprising especially with Mays capitulation. A very British se se of 'get in with it'

Maybe it was Brexit which bolstered the Lab vote. Lib Dems must be thinking what have they done appointing Cable.

Complete opposite to the poll released last week. Fake news.

Trapper John McIntyre

Britain will do exactly what we expect it to do, no more and no less.

In the meantime, no narrow parochialism for me.  I'll leave that to the likes of.........  :thumbsup:

I hope you don't mean me, dear.

I hope you don't mean me, dear.

Ah now, you know I'd never dream of denying a Hearts supporter the chance to live in hope.   :thumbsup:

John Findlay

Despite the overall result of the referendum and the current UK government rhetoric. I can see the UK remaining in the EU.

Sky News just ran a piece about the Irish Border question.

The EU wants it to pretty much stay the same way it is, no checks, no physical border etc,however if your not in the customs union then under EU law you must have custom checks which means border checks.

Little wonder things are so confusing, when the EU contradicts it's own laws with what it wants.

Sky News just ran a piece about the Irish Border question.

The EU wants it to pretty much stay the same way it is, no checks, no physical border etc,however if your not in the customs union then under EU law you must have custom checks which means border checks.

Little wonder things are so confusing, when the EU contradicts it's own laws with what it wants.

There's an open border with non-EU Norway and EU Sweden. The EU is not contradicting anything. The UK govt is failing to engage because it really has no idea what it wants to do.

Geoff Kilpatrick

There's an open border with non-EU Norway and EU Sweden. The EU is not contradicting anything. The UK govt is failing to engage because it really has no idea what it wants to do.

Mostly because Norway is in the single market and not the customs union.

Why the UK isn't targeting a similar deal is baffling.

Mostly because Norway is in the single market and not the customs union.

Why the UK isn't targeting a similar deal is baffling.

European Court of Justice.

This will destroy the Tories for a generation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/if-uk-leaves-customs-union-a-customs-border-is-inevitable-1.3180460

The EU is insisting upon an open border between the North & South, but under the EU's own rules that can't happen, that is a contradiction on the EU's part is it not?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/if-uk-leaves-customs-union-a-customs-border-is-inevitable-1.3180460

The EU is insisting upon an open border between the North & South, but under the EU's own rules that can't happen, that is a contradiction on the EU's part is it not?

Under the EU's rules there are open borders with non-EU states. It is dependent on the non-EU state striking a deal which allows this to happen. Therefore it is not contradictory.

I'd argue the UK should be the one insistent on this as it is one of the corner stones of the Good Friday Agreement.

Under the EU's rules there are open borders with non-EU states. It is dependent on the non-EU state striking a deal which allows this to happen. Therefore it is not contradictory.

I'd argue the UK should be the one insistent on this as it is one of the corner stones of the Good Friday Agreement.

Which the UK has said time and time and time again that no one wants a hard border after Brexit.

I assume the non-EU states you refer to are Norway & Switzerland, both of whom are in the single market and therefore have an open border with the rest of the EU, as part of that agreement.

At present the UK will not be in either the single market nor the customs union, so the Norwegian or Swiss model's are not applicable, but we'll just have to wait and see what deal is thrashed out.

Archived