• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's exactly what it is, Landlords subsidy in effect.

Your point about removing London weighting from Public Sector jobs is, however, crazy. It's almost impossible to recruit to teaching, nursing and social care staff in London as it is. Migrant workers who are prepared to live in sub standard housing conditions are propping the system up.

London has the worst levels of poverty in the UK and is the only region where child poverty has increased over the last ten years. Homelessness is at least twice the national average in every London Borough and overcrowding and sub standard housing is becoming the norm. Even if you take into account Housing Benefit levels in London, public spending per person in London is almost half the amount it is in Scotland for instance.

You're right Rent caps must be introduced, along with a huge social housing building project. For too long the rights of working class Londoners have been disregarded in favour of the other regions.

whats the area of London compared with Scotland?.

doctor jambo

That's exactly what it is, Landlords subsidy in effect.

Your point about removing London weighting from Public Sector jobs is, however, crazy. It's almost impossible to recruit to teaching, nursing and social care staff in London as it is. Migrant workers who are prepared to live in sub standard housing conditions are propping the system up.

London has the worst levels of poverty in the UK and is the only region where child poverty has increased over the last ten years. Homelessness is at least twice the national average in every London Borough and overcrowding and sub standard housing is becoming the norm. Even if you take into account Housing Benefit levels in London, public spending per person in  London is almost half the amount it is in Scotland for instance. 

You're right Rent caps must be introduced, along with a huge social housing building project. For too long the rights of working class Londoners have been disregarded in favour of the other regions. 

Granted, but something has to be done about London- their house prices need to come down, their rents need to come down- re-distribution needs to happen to the rest of the country

Why should the UK tax payer support the ludicrous costs of the city of London to keep their house prices rising and sucking the life out the rest of the country?

Why? Because she has a thick west coast Scottish accent? Would it be better for you if she had a "marble in the mouth" accent? Mealie moothed??? Pretent posh?

Being embarrassed by hearing the Scots tongue is quite embarrassing right enough. This is where the lassie is fi. Scotland. Do you only think that southern accents or watered down Scots comes across as intelligent?

Scots need to stop being so offended by Scots accents.

If she is as thick as folk on here make her out to be then she will be found out soon enough but if she goes to Westminster, represents her constituents well & helps to shake up an archaic political system then who cares how her accent is???

Well said! Couldn't agree more.

Granted, but something has to be done about London- their house prices need to come down, their rents need to come down- re-distribution needs to happen to the rest of the country

Why should the UK tax payer support the ludicrous costs of the city of London to keep their house prices rising and sucking the life out the rest of the country?

Cause Boris says.

Leipzig 51

Robertson's expenses claims have included[when?] a television costing ?1,119, a ?400 home cinema system, ?500 for a bed, ?20 for a corkscrew and ?2,324 for a sofa bed.[12] The home cinema system was initially denied by the expenses office, however Robertson appealed this decision and it was subsequently awarded.[13]

Good man.

The problem with this system is that it is all perfectly legal.

It really doesn't matter which MP's name you pull out of the hat.

doctor jambo

The problem with this system is that it is all perfectly legal.

It really doesn't matter which MP's name you pull out of the hat.

NO, the problem is people ripping the arse out it.

Something being legally defensible and morally defensible are two totally different things.

To spank taxpayer money on mega TV's and corkscrews is disgusting

The Mighty Thor

Something being legally defensible and morally defensible are two totally different things.

I look forward to you listing the huge numbers of Labour, Conservative and Lib Dem Mp's that have ripped the arse out of it over the years.

Perhaps you may like to begin with those 'stitching mailbags'.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

if you don't want people "ripping the arse out [of] it", you should change the rules. It's very simple. 

Leipzig 51

if you don't want people "ripping the arse out [of] it", you should change the rules. It's very simple. 

exactly.

doctor jambo

I look forward to you listing the huge numbers of Labour, Conservative and Lib Dem Mp's that have ripped the arse out of it over the years.

Perhaps you may like to begin with those 'stitching mailbags'.

I totally agree - there is no excuse for anyone doing it, no matter the badge.

There should have been widespread prosecutions and sackings for expenses fraud.

And by all means change the rules,

but perhaps NOT changing the rules gives a wee window into the type of fecker you've elected, that your MP thinks its OK to spend tax payers money in this manner.

If they cannot be wise with tax payers money on the small scale, why trust them with the big scale?

They should have, by law, to list on their flyers at election time EVERYTHING they have claimed on expenses

That would do it- front page- name, party, expenses breakdown

doctor jambo

I totally agree - there is no excuse for anyone doing it, no matter the badge.

There should have been widespread prosecutions and sackings for expenses fraud.

And by all means change the rules,

but perhaps NOT changing the rules gives a wee window into the type of fecker you've elected, that your MP thinks its OK to spend tax payers money in this manner.

If they cannot be wise with tax payers money on the small scale, why trust them with the big scale?

They should have, by law, to list on their flyers at election time EVERYTHING they have claimed on expenses

That would do it- front page- name, party, expenses breakdown

eg, Nicola Sturgeon, SNP - one private helicopter, trip to London where I don't work, full board hotel stay inc starter and steak dinner, 2 glasses of red and a brandy, then on Tuesday.......

Stuart Lyon

All for transparency on expenses from all eligible to claim them including those who get attendance money for signing-in to the Lords. I suggest a timing in clock for the Lords. 

doctor jambo

All for transparency on expenses from all eligible to claim them including those who get attendance money for signing-in to the Lords. I suggest a timing in clock for the Lords. 

Remember salmond and his food expenses- claiming even when he was at home?

Do MP's think they should have free meals?

I wasn't aware that when working away food was an allowable expense.......

doctor jambo

do you get any expenses for your job, doctor jambo?

No.

I have tax deductible expenses for business use- phone costs, petrol, indemnity, equipment.

But sadly no TV's., meals out, trips away

No hospitality

Drug reps not even allowed to give you anything these days in

case it "sways and corrupts"

A number of years ago the max allowable "gift" was ?5.

then the govt deemed that too much so its now nothing

Bearing in mind that the deductible bit means that if I spend ?100 on something, after not paying tax on that, I've still forked ?60 on it- as opposed to a proper expense, where if you spend ?100 on something , it really costs you nothing as someone else has paid for it

Thunderstruck

Remember salmond and his food expenses- claiming even when he was at home?

Do MP's think they should have free meals?

I wasn't aware that when working away food was an allowable expense.......

I believe and adhere to the principle that taking money for a meal when you would, in the normal course of events, have had to supply yourself with the self same meal, is wrong.

Travel (beyond normal to/from home to work) and accommodation costs are different but these should be strictly limited.

Elected Representatives are public servants and should adhere to least cost imposition to the public purse. Claiming for cleaning of moats, building dovecotes, buying home cinemas, using first class travel and buying third homes are immoral.

doctor jambo

I believe and adhere to the principle that taking money for a meal when you would, in the normal course of events, have had to supply yourself with the self same meal, is wrong.

Travel (beyond normal to/from home to work) and accommodation costs are different but these should be strictly limited.

Elected Representatives are public servants and should adhere to least cost imposition to the public purse. Claiming for cleaning of moats, building dovecotes, buying home cinemas, using first class travel and buying third homes are immoral.

Agreed

It is not their cash- they would be wise to remember it

Getintaethem

First Tory move is to change the strike rules, making it virtually impossible for workers in certain sectors to strike legally. No pay rises for emergency service and transport workers for several years then.

Well, they're not. Rising House prices are no good for anyone accept property investors, mostly overseas, and they don't result in any life being sucked from anywhere. Whichever way you look at it London contributes the most to the treasury and gets the least back. Something has to be done to prevent the increases in poverty in London, increases not experienced anywhere else. 

whats the area of London compared with Scotland?.

I can't believe you're as stupid as that question makes you sound.

I can't believe you're as stupid as that question makes you sound.

No, it would good, if once folk would compare city for city.

No, it would good, if once folk would compare city for city.

We're comparing poverty indicators. Wherever you are in the UK if you're in poverty you're in poverty. Edinburgh has low unemployment, relatively low rates of poverty, low rates of in work poverty and low rates of homelessness and overcrowding. It also attracts high levels of public spending. It is a much better place to live than London by all the indicators. Yet London is "sucking the life" out of the rest of the UK. It's not true but it's been easy for politicians to spread this myth without challenge, not least the Scottish National Party

They aren't wrong. Smith is a bit past its sell by date now. The party who didn't want anything to do with it and belittled it from day 1 has won a big majority. It should be scrapped and a convention held. The SNP should use leverage to include PR in any convention.

Smith like Calman has been left behind by events. Why persist with it?

its a good point

too much rush - lets take a step back to look at all the issues

but English Conservatives with hatred of EU and demands might force hand while we're not exactly sure SNP agenda with their gift of a Tory government thought by many to be essential for independence

Malinga the Swinga

We're comparing poverty indicators. Wherever you are in the UK if you're in poverty you're in poverty. Edinburgh has low unemployment, relatively low rates of poverty, low rates of in work poverty and low rates of homelessness and overcrowding. It also attracts high levels of public spending. It is a much better place to live than London by all the indicators. Yet London is "sucking the life" out of the rest of the UK. It's not true but it's been easy for politicians to spread this myth without challenge, not least the Scottish National Party

Correct. London is one of the great cities of the world and contributes enormous sums to the UK. Have worked down there, people in Scotland don't realise the size and scale of London, the sheer enormity of the place and just how busy London is.

I prefer the peace and quiet of Edinburgh to the business of London, but there is no doubt that London is a wealth creator for the UK and it does deserve greater attention than it gets.

I think London is a huge problem for the UK and one way to make it better would be to move the Government out of it.

We could move the government anywhere we wanted, but I fail to see how that would make any difference. I also fail to see why London is the problem. Forget finance, London tourism brought twice as much money to the treasury last year than oil, and that was before the oil price collapse. 

It's easy to blame London, but who has the figures to back it up? It's a big place a long way away and that's where the govt. sits. Must be to blame. Fairly parochial in my opinion

Sawdust Caesar

No, that is not what I am advocating- I am advocating ALL people are financially responsible for their children ,and that people who cannot afford to have children wait until they can.

Have a kid or twenty if you want, but responsibility for it lies with you.

Poor people can have as much sex as they want- I don't equate sex with having children.

Why should parts of society limit their family size because of financial factors, yet other parts don't?

This is not about being vulnerable its about being responsible

I think having everybody paying for the full cost of having a child with no state help at all (apart from NHS) could end up with a drop in the population, which would cause problems generations from now. It costs around ?175,000 to raise a child up to age 17. A helluva lot of folk wouldn't be able to afford that without any help. I do think that it should be limited to 2 kids only at a time, anymore pay for them yourself.

City of Westminster, maybe?

It is more than a few but its a whole raft of problems

- fathers not supporting their children properly

- mothers not allowing more access to children (which actually may encourage the fathers to support them fiscally)

- IN work benefits being too high

-actual pay being too low so benefits needed despite working

-lack of rent capping causing a necessity for housing benefit

- non means tested pensioner benefits

Personally I'd have everyone fully fiscally responsible for their children until 16 from mid 2016- you already have kids then fine- otherwise you've got time to think about whether you can afford a kid- and if you don't , don't.- both men and women both. Man fathers kid you're het- DNA test confirms its yours money straight from your account to hers 25 % net income per child automatically or 25% of your benefits

And if the child is born with a disability? A family may be able to afford a healthy child but not one born with a serious disability.

Correct. London is one of the great cities of the world and contributes enormous sums to the UK. Have worked down there, people in Scotland don't realise the size and scale of London, the sheer enormity of the place and just how busy London is.

I prefer the peace and quiet of Edinburgh to the business of London, but there is no doubt that London is a wealth creator for the UK and it does deserve greater attention than it gets.

We could move the government anywhere we wanted, but I fail to see how that would make any difference. I also fail to see why London is the problem. Forget finance, London tourism brought twice as much money to the treasury last year than oil, and that was before the oil price collapse. 

It's easy to blame London, but who has the figures to back it up? It's a big place a long way away and that's where the govt. sits. Must be to blame. Fairly parochial in my opinion

For all its wealth creation, London gets more govt money than the average, in the same way as Scotland, Northern Ireland etc do too. Sure I saw that somewhere.

For all its wealth creation, London gets more govt money than the average, in the same way as Scotland, Northern Ireland etc do too. Sure I saw that somewhere.

It must do on transport infrastructure anyway. ?15 billion on Crossrail and hardly an eyebrow raised. We got half a tramline.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Not really interested in the devolved/reserved aspect but what are folks' opinions on the Human Rights Act in general? Should we fight to keep it or would a UK Bill of Rights be better?

doctor jambo

And if the child is born with a disability? A family may be able to afford a healthy child but not one born with a serious disability.

A properly funded NHS and social care could provide house adaptations, vehicle, respite care, helpers , transport.

You know- what it should be doing

The benefits system should be there as emergency back up for situations like this- unforseen.

Pay for it by stopping certain frivolities- such as baby milk tokens for families on benefits.

Statistically less likely to breast feed,

therefore causing

-lower IQ's

-more health problems

-more allergies

-weaker immunity

ie we are facilitating the already disadvantaged giving their kids even more disadvantage 

doctor jambo

Not really interested in the devolved/reserved aspect but what are folks' opinions on the Human Rights Act in general? Should we fight to keep it or would a UK Bill of Rights be better?

UK bill of rights please, but the core if it is sound, but with the caveat that whilst serving time your rights are reduced to a lesser set- ie we promise to feed, water house and not torture you.

But you dont vote, marry in prison and so on  and so forth

Geoff Kilpatrick

There's a bigger issue than that though. It's part of an international agreement, i.e. The Good Friday Agreement, so I doubt ECHR can be repealed without a legal challenge.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

There's a bigger issue than that though. It's part of an international agreement, i.e. The Good Friday Agreement, so I doubt ECHR can be repealed without a legal challenge.

Didn't realise that. What does that mean in reality? Stuff that happened due to GFA could be overturned?

"fight to keep it" chance might have gone though a debate will be healthy.

if it is part of a package that keeps us in EU because it satisfies the anti Europe brigade then it might be worth it. Stay in EU and independence is much less likely so win win.

I'm no expert but I understand UK wins mass of cases and has helped people and government

Cameron says he's implementing Tory manifesto in full so its going to happen.

Keep it

You cannae have nations opting out of something like that and making up their own ones simply because it doesn't align with their policies.

The Tories want it ripped up because it protects the working man too much.

Malinga the Swinga

Keep it

You cannae have nations opting out of something like that and making up their own ones simply because it doesn't align with their policies.

The Tories want it ripped up because it protects the working man too much.

Dump it and replace with relevant British Act. Conservatives want to amend it because amended version will protect the working man and his family in the UK. Also, we will be able to hold the Act makers to. Account whereas Human Rights Act dreamt up bu people who are unaccountable to UK citizens.

ToadKiller Dog

Dump it and replace with relevant British Act. Conservatives want to amend it because amended version will protect the working man and his family in the UK. Also, we will be able to hold the Act makers to. Account whereas Human Rights Act dreamt up bu people who are unaccountable to UK citizens.

Churchill was a founder and force behind the ECHR in 1951 it's a UK conception adopted in Europe post war , something Torys should be proud of

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/workinpsychiatry/committeesofcouncil/humanrights/briefhistoryofhumanrights.aspx?theme=mobile

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2009/oct/04/human-rights-act-conservatives

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

A bit like WM and Scotland, eh Mal.

jack D and coke
Some pretty nasty anti Scottish stuff on the Facebook pages with links to this so I'd say that's a non starter myself tbh.

They want to change it so they can get rid of Abu Hamza.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Didn't realise that. What does that mean in reality? Stuff that happened due to GFA could be overturned?

In theory, it would invalidate the agreement. In practice, it would be taken to international courts first.

Cairneyhill Jambo

In theory, it would invalidate the agreement. In practice, it would be taken to international courts first.

I know it's a personal thing but who did you vote for in the referendum and the General Election?

Will it protect the working man's right to take industrial action? Doubt it.

I quite like human rights, don't see why they should be abolished.