The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

OK now you have got that of your chest.

What do you as a Labour voter think of much more threatening moves by the Tories to restrict our civil liberties.

Hope you dont mind me asking but how come you got to vote in the GE and will you get a vote at Holyrood 2016 and Euro Referendum ? 

SNP supporter has a lot of cheek to bring up civil liberties.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Took GW off ignore for a bit, read a few posts and now I'm frantically flapping about undoing it, like when you open the car window by mistake in the pishing rain.

Getintaethem

So, why change it then?

I expect any Bill of Rights to fail to mention any employment rights that appear in the HRA, because that's what the Tories are about, imo.

Exactly. The rights of millions of workers will be corroded over the next two years. It's started already with the business minister rushing through new strike laws for the queens speech. Human rights will be the next target.

It's all very well making business as competitive and profit making as possible, but surely the main responsibility of a government is to give the people of that country a decent standard of life. The few will profit from this type of political thinking, but the many will suffer.

jambos are go!

As a Labour man should you not be concerning yourself more with our extreme right wing UK government.

Sorry i forgot Labour hate the SNP more than the Tories.

I have lived under a few odious Tory Governments and hated it. But they never put armed police routinely on the streets like extreme right wing Governments do. The SNP did by administrative action no less.

BTW I dont hate anybody or their parties within the democratic process. I have friends of all political persuasions and respect their views even if I disagree with them.

Gorgiewave

Took GW off ignore for a bit, read a few posts and now I'm frantically flapping about undoing it, like when you open the car window by mistake in the pishing rain.

Gorgiewave

They look to be having a rare time at big bad WM.

Chip butty for lunch? ffs

Chip butties and the like are a bigger problem in Scotland than Westminster.

Arnold Rothstein

Chip butties and the like are a bigger problem in Scotland than Westminster.

Has someone warned the Westminster dinner ladies? 

Gorgiewave

Has someone warned the Westminster dinner ladies? 

67K or so will be a big pay rise for quite a lot of them I assume. Plus expenses and a flat in London...They'll warm to Westminster.

67K or so will be a big pay rise for quite a lot of them I assume. Plus expenses and a flat in London...They'll warm to Westminster.

Even if they do - and I hope many of them resist like the principled George Kerevan, that makes them no different to the current mob who like to claim for horse paddocks, moats, ?39 breakfasts...

You are becoming increasingly desperate in your whataboutery. Scotland needs this block of MPs like never before with the disgusting fascist rhetoric coming out of Cameron's gob, backed up by legislation that shows the Tory party's deep contempt and mistrust for the people they are meant to serve.

You'd think, if you care so much from afar and were a Labour voter, you'd be more concerned about this than how much the SNP MPs are getting paid. But like a lot of Labour supporters it seems their blind hatred of the SNP outweighs their concerns to actually oppose this disgraceful government.

Felix Lighter

So they'll succumb to the corruptible Westminster gravy train and sell out their people like so many before them.

Bought and sold etc.

So, why change it then?

I expect any Bill of Rights to fail to mention any employment rights that appear in the HRA, because that's what the Tories are about, imo.

What employment rights are in the HRA and ECHR? It's a human rights act not an act of employment rights.

Employment rights are socio-economic rights, not indisputable human rights. You can't equate a right to free education or employment with the right to freedom from torture. That really annoyed me in the Indy-ref as well, pledges on socoo-economic rights and constitutional safeguards of the environment are far too restrictive for an effective constitution. The best constitutions allow for these issues to have decisions made by subsequent generations meeting the attitude and views of the people then, not being set in stone.

The best constitutions set out how government operates and what inalienable rights the people have. To prescribe rights on employment, education, housing and the environments colours the political nature of a people to a time and place that will change and go in time.

The difference will be rights of appeal to the court in Strasbourg. Which misses the point, the judgements the Tories are most annoyed with are domestic ones.

Equally, Strasbourg jurisprudence is only influential, it's not binding. UK courts (courts in each British legal jurisdiction) is to refer to the judgements of Strasbourg. They aren't bound by them.

The Tory position is flawed and looking for a scapegoat. But to replace the HRA isn't going to change a lot. I also wager it's too hard to achieve and won't result in much.

Edited by JamboX2

Eh?

Scotland being the most equal place in Europe for lgbt rights is a good thing, surely?

It's a great thing, but that's not wholly down to the SNP government. Equalities legislation is a reserved matter and the attitude of the people in the nation at large has a lot to do with that.

The SNP on the whole haven't been great for a lot of equality outcomes in Scotland - educational and health inequalities are up and social mobility is dropping on the back of SNP policy in Scotland.

Swings and roundabouts? Or failed leadership? To me it's the latter after 8 years.

jack D and coke

So they'll succumb to the corruptible Westminster gravy train and sell out their people like so many before them.

Bought and sold etc.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe them getting down to London now and again, expenses, bright lights etc will see them change their attitudes....certainly wouldn't surprise me to see some of them lose the chip on their shoulders.

FL glad you had a better chat with the DWP afterwards.

If you are having issues with benefits and sanctions etc... then thats something your MP should run with on your behalf. Hopefully you have one who knows what they are doing but your MP is the best bet for having benefits reinstates or penalties lifted (assuming there has been an error or something of course).

Hope you get it sorted.

Also it looks like Davidson is setting up for an argument with Cameron on HRA. Only one MSP was willing to sign off on a preas release criticising the act. So with SNP Labour and Tories all against looks like the effect will be blocked to the extent possible up here.

Hasselhoff

I think a lot of stories about sanctions and stopped payments are more to do with jobsworth civil service workers who would be doing that job regardless of which party was in government. Generally people are compassionate and would want to help. It's always worth phoning back to try and speak to someone else who isn't having a bad day and taking it out on others. 

It's a great thing, but that's not wholly down to the SNP government. Equalities legislation is a reserved matter and the attitude of the people in the nation at large has a lot to do with that.

The SNP on the whole haven't been great for a lot of equality outcomes in Scotland - educational and health inequalities are up and social mobility is dropping on the back of SNP policy in Scotland.

Swings and roundabouts? Or failed leadership? To me it's the latter after 8 years.

I never said it was, but equally can all the bad be attributed to an SNP administration?

That said, as the incumbent government their record needs scrutinised and challenged by opposition parties.

My own view is that if we had independence then opposition parties would have a free-er hand to develop policy outwith the constraints of the national party.  Or at least, away from the suggestion that they are merely branch offices.

I think a lot of stories about sanctions and stopped payments are more to do with jobsworth civil service workers who would be doing that job regardless of which party was in government. Generally people are compassionate and would want to help. It's always worth phoning back to try and speak to someone else who isn't having a bad day and taking it out on others. 

No, they are working under directives from the DWP via the odious Ian Duncan Smith, that's beyond argument now.

Targets and incentives exist though they deny this. It is a deliberate, draconian approach. To think at one time you could go to "The Job Centre" to find work - now they expend all their energy trying to sanction JSA claimants using every trick available including deliberately confusing people with learning difficulties, giving screeds of paperwork to people with dyslexia or sight issues. Bus late due to a fatal accident making someone late for an appointment? Sanctioned. Interview for a job clashes with appointment and you confirm this is OK over the phone? Sanctioned.

Of course, very conveniently for the Tories every single sanctioned JSA claimant is taken off the unemployment figures. Same for the poor sods sent to enrich the likes of Tesco or Primark on IDS's illegal Workfare scheme.

It's so bad that when I was assisting someone on the autistic spectrum with their JSA after completing college the advisor at the Job Centre Plus told me bluntly that they would receive no support under the current signing-on regime and that the person would not cope with their current rigorous approach. Fortunately this individual passed the ATOS interrogation and receives support but many people without support simply would not understand the regulations and would be repeatedly sanctioned till they starve. These are some of the most vulnerable people in society and the DWP, IDS and the Tories do not give a **** about starving them on spurious grounds. And don't forget, it's not just their JSA that is gone when they are sanctioned - ALL benefits like Housing Benefit, Council Tax relief is stripped away.

That is the present and the future for the vulnerable in our society, stripped of benefits and rendered homeless/starving. There have been so many deaths whilst ill and disabled people await appeals against ATOS wrongly finding them fit for work that the DWP stopped publishing the figures.

Whilst these people are suffering in these austere times it gladdens my heart that the bankers were looked after and we might pay a few bob less in tax. The Trussel Trust says that over 50% of referrals to their food banks are now down to sanctions and benefit delays (another thing the DWP like doing is delaying payment and also sending out letters and forms requiring detailed responses weeks late giving the person little time to ingather things like medical reports and supporting evidence. This is known to be widespread).

So no, it's not Civil Servants and Job Centre Plus advisors doing what they always do - it's a deliberate policy to undermine the support for the unemployed, ill and disabled people etc all under the pretence of austerity.

Here are some ludicrous reasons for sanctioning: http://dwpunspun.org.uk/sanctions

doctor jambo

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

That is very worrying indeed!

Dave obviously thinks that people obeying the law have something to hide and may be pursued and harassed by the state.

This links into the the scrapping of the HRA and the introduction of his Snooper's Charter.

Free speech is fecked.

But that is SNP policy

- crime at its lowest rate on record so give the police firearms

- Stop and search "voluntarily" - consensual- if an officer stopped me for no reason I would decline

(though I am pretty sure I would thereafter be arrested)

But that is SNP policy

- crime at its lowest rate on record so give the police firearms

- Stop and search "voluntarily" - consensual- if an officer stopped me for no reason I would decline

(though I am pretty sure I would thereafter be arrested)

We've already noted that the extension of Strathclyde Police force's policies, which have contributed to a reduction in crime in Glasgow it has to be noted, across Scotland was a mistake.

That can be sorted and I doubt I'm alone in pressuring my MSP about this.

This one miscalculation in no way compares to the erosion of freedoms and rights that have occurred and will now continue at greater pace, under the Tory party's plans.

Again this predictable "but the SNP got this wrong" does not tackle or prevent the Tory party from pushing through a waft of far more damaging and sinister legislation.

doctor jambo

We've already noted that the extension of Strathclyde Police force's policies, which have contributed to a reduction in crime in Glasgow it has to be noted, across Scotland was a mistake.

This one miscalculation in no way compares to the erosion of freedoms and rights that have occurred and will now continue at greater pace, under the Tory party's plans.

Again this predictable "but the SNP got this wrong" does not tackle or prevent the Tory party from pushing through a waft of far more damaging and sinister legislation.

More damaging than searching children and "losing " the records

MOre damaging than arming officers with firearms?

Ok then

Thunderstruck

The SSAS makes for interesting reading - with regard to what are the "burning issues".

Those who managed to listen carefully to John Curtice's lectures last year would have, perhaps, managed to detach themselves from the Referendum hysteria. IIRC, Curtice is involved with the survey so its rigour should not be in dispute.

At one of his lectures, he took a lot of time to explain what this larger and longer-term survey indicated - a gap of between 10 and 12% between No and Yes.

Gorgiewave

I never said it was, but equally can all the bad be attributed to an SNP administration?

That said, as the incumbent government their record needs scrutinised and challenged by opposition parties.

My own view is that if we had independence then opposition parties would have a free-er hand to develop policy outwith the constraints of the national party.  Or at least, away from the suggestion that they are merely branch offices.

There would still be a "national party". Sinn Fein are still with us, after all.

An independent Scotland would be an SNP dictatorship with the likes of Jim Sillars running riot taking vengeance on a lifetime of frustration and impotence.

Edited by Gorgiewave

There would still be a "national party". Sinn Fein are still with us, after all.

An independent Scotland would be an SNP dictatorship with the likes of Jim Sillars running riot taking vengeance on a lifetime of frustration and impotence.

Poppycock.

You're negating the explanation that you are both wrong

maroonlegions

So the "Cameronians" want to water down the human rights bill or as i suspect in time eradicate it.Sounds familiar, the ruling elite are now showing their true hand.

CE33DaxWEAE9Kf4-587x360.jpg

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I'm strongly opposed to what the Tories have planned for civil liberties, but equating them to the Nazis is pure bampottery. 

Edited by Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Felix Lighter

FL glad you had a better chat with the DWP afterwards.

If you are having issues with benefits and sanctions etc... then thats something your MP should run with on your behalf. Hopefully you have one who knows what they are doing but your MP is the best bet for having benefits reinstates or penalties lifted (assuming there has been an error or something of course).

Hope you get it sorted.

Also it looks like Davidson is setting up for an argument with Cameron on HRA. Only one MSP was willing to sign off on a preas release criticising the act. So with SNP Labour and Tories all against looks like the effect will be blocked to the extent possible up here.

Thanks mate.I'll wait till I receive correspondence and decide what to do next,probably get in touch with CAB first.A wee update,I spoke to the council today to find out what the implications were regarding Housing Benefit.The girl said they'd received notification on the tax credit decision and it would be looked at.The thing is having been told yesterday I wasn't entitled to anything, according to the documentation received from the tax credit office my 'award',yes that's what they call it  :uhoh2:,  for the coming year would be ?2.32 pw.

I'll probably tell them not to bother,they've got ?12 billion to claw back so they might as well start with my ?2.32.

Felix Lighter

No, they are working under directives from the DWP via the odious Ian Duncan Smith, that's beyond argument now.

Targets and incentives exist though they deny this. It is a deliberate, draconian approach. To think at one time you could go to "The Job Centre" to find work - now they expend all their energy trying to sanction JSA claimants using every trick available including deliberately confusing people with learning difficulties, giving screeds of paperwork to people with dyslexia or sight issues. Bus late due to a fatal accident making someone late for an appointment? Sanctioned. Interview for a job clashes with appointment and you confirm this is OK over the phone? Sanctioned.

Of course, very conveniently for the Tories every single sanctioned JSA claimant is taken off the unemployment figures. Same for the poor sods sent to enrich the likes of Tesco or Primark on IDS's illegal Workfare scheme.

It's so bad that when I was assisting someone on the autistic spectrum with their JSA after completing college the advisor at the Job Centre Plus told me bluntly that they would receive no support under the current signing-on regime and that the person would not cope with their current rigorous approach. Fortunately this individual passed the ATOS interrogation and receives support but many people without support simply would not understand the regulations and would be repeatedly sanctioned till they starve. These are some of the most vulnerable people in society and the DWP, IDS and the Tories do not give a **** about starving them on spurious grounds. And don't forget, it's not just their JSA that is gone when they are sanctioned - ALL benefits like Housing Benefit, Council Tax relief is stripped away.

That is the present and the future for the vulnerable in our society, stripped of benefits and rendered homeless/starving. There have been so many deaths whilst ill and disabled people await appeals against ATOS wrongly finding them fit for work that the DWP stopped publishing the figures.

Whilst these people are suffering in these austere times it gladdens my heart that the bankers were looked after and we might pay a few bob less in tax. The Trussel Trust says that over 50% of referrals to their food banks are now down to sanctions and benefit delays (another thing the DWP like doing is delaying payment and also sending out letters and forms requiring detailed responses weeks late giving the person little time to ingather things like medical reports and supporting evidence. This is known to be widespread).

So no, it's not Civil Servants and Job Centre Plus advisors doing what they always do - it's a deliberate policy to undermine the support for the unemployed, ill and disabled people etc all under the pretence of austerity.

Here are some ludicrous reasons for sanctioning: http://dwpunspun.org.uk/sanctions

'kin hell thats appalling.As much as I'm on here having a moan about my circumstances it's very sobering to think there are a hell of a lot of people worse off than yourself.

maroonlegions

I'm strongly opposed to what the Tories have planned for civil liberties, but equating them to the Nazis is pure bampottery. 

:smartass:

It was a comparison to the erosion of  human rights that hitler admitted was the way to control people, no bampottery there. What would you call a individui, political party or organisation that was seeking the end of basic human rights, a rather bad chap or fascist , draconian in that very act of attempting to eradicate  those very human  rights that millions fought and died for??? Totalitarian police state is  the agenda i feel but that's just my opinion. Trying to make it harder to have legal strikes too. These words below are as poignant today as when they were first uttered.

"I may not agree with your opinion but i will fight for your right to say or express it"

"First they came for the communists but i did nothing for i was not a communist

Then they came for the Unions but i did nothing for i was not a unionist

Then they came* ........................................................."  

*add as appropriate.

maroonlegions

'kin hell thats appalling.As much as I'm on here having a moan about my circumstances it's very sobering to think there are a hell of a lot of people worse off than yourself.

Ian Duncan Fecking Smith.

It would have been interesting if he had posted the quote without name.

Geoff Kilpatrick

ML is as ML does.

BTW, enjoying this "Oh England, what have you done?" chat from Nat types. No hypocrisy there whatsoever! :laugh:

Franco Fascione

After 21 years of voting for SNP I have stopped supporting them and will never vote for them again.  I've had enough of listening too, seeing first hand and reading about SNP supporters and their bullying, trolling and general nastiness to last me a lifetime.  Very disappointed as I thought the party and supporters were better than that.  I think the SNP are much more mainstream than they would like to admit and as for their grasp on economics.....

Edited by Franco Fascione

My own view is that if we had independence then opposition parties would have a free-er hand to develop policy outwith the constraints of the national party. Or at least, away from the suggestion that they are merely branch offices.

I just can't be arsed with this whataboutery of "if we were independent we'd see x". If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle Boris.

We are a UK with increasing devolution. Smith is a dead duck now as far as I'm concerned. A UK wide commission must be established which actually sets up a system of devolution or federalism which is fair and stable. This constant drip drop of powers every time an SNP minister farts is agonising and doing nothing for the people. Smith should be put on the back burner, a commission established and the SNP offered membership along with the Welsh and Northern Irish with the English devolution plans included - England must decide her own way of running her affairs, an English Parliament would be as big a the UK one and unworkable in reflecting regional difference but the English don't want to Balkanise England with assemblies, so mayors and powerful cities is their choice.

Let it run and decide, all signed up and we all come out with a system all can agree on.

Why have I raised that? Because it sets a principal which can be easily transferred to parties - federated or devolved power. Scottish Labour should run all aspects of Labour in Scotland. It should set all its own policies and it should set its own procedures and structures, within the framework of a UK wide organisation to run UK wide campaigns. At conference Scottish Labour would feed its views in. Other parties can do that. The LIbDems are wholly federated. It's not impossible and its workable.

On the SNP and their track record - if it's a competence of their control, a devolved competence, or an issue they can make changes on - like they did on the bedroom tax and were pushed into acting on - then most certainly yes it can be laid at their feet as their fault. Labour were blamed for an economic catastrophe made in the co outing suites of New York and London and Tokyo and Frankfurt. The SNP have presided over declining standards in Scottish public services, a pulling up of the social mobility ladder and of a tax freeze of their own making which is a cash giveaway to the well off and has been underfunded to the extent local services (which constitute the most of Scottish public sector employment and service provision) have been cut and cut to the bone.

Those are failings of the SNP.

How a coherent alternative is structured to them which highlights their failings and paints a new better way which is electable is beyond me.

Am I watching Question Time or am I watching the Nigel Farage show? FFS!

Why didnt they have a SNP on there? Having said that Farage and that Labour James Hunt did more for the party than any Nat could

ML is as ML does.

BTW, enjoying this "Oh England, what have you done?" chat from Nat types. No hypocrisy there whatsoever! :laugh:

Im enjoying, feck an other tory government, thats the SNPs fault fae NO voters. That takes the feckin biscuit.

Im enjoying, feck an other tory government, thats the SNPs fault fae NO voters. That takes the feckin biscuit.

From watching This Week and reading a few of the papers it would appear polling post-referendum has shown that the huge swing in the Liberal and undecided vote in the last week of the campaign to the Tories was mainly due to the fear of the SNP generated by Cameron.

Had Labour ran a more effective campaign at neutralising the SNP or had the SNP snot been as potent it's likely we'd not have a Tory majority right now.

Hasselhoff

From watching This Week and reading a few of the papers it would appear polling post-referendum has shown that the huge swing in the Liberal and undecided vote in the last week of the campaign to the Tories was mainly due to the fear of the SNP generated by Cameron.

Had Labour ran a more effective campaign at neutralising the SNP or had the SNP snot been as potent it's likely we'd not have a Tory majority right now.

Quite possibly. It was the best result all round IMO. SNP get power where it can't break the UK and a responsible party is in charge of the UK. SNP will be given enough rope to hang itself with and hopefully this neverendum can die off.

TheMaganator

:smartass:

It was a comparison to the erosion of human rights that hitler admitted was the way to control people, no bampottery there. What would you call a individui, political party or organisation that was seeking the end of basic human rights, a rather bad chap or fascist , draconian in that very act of attempting to eradicate those very human rights that millions fought and died for??? Totalitarian police state is the agenda i feel but that's just my opinion. Trying to make it harder to have legal strikes too. These words below are as poignant today as when they were first uttered.

"I may not agree with your opinion but i will fight for your right to say or express it"

"First they came for the communists but i did nothing for i was not a communist

Then they came for the Unions but i did nothing for i was not a unionist

Then they came* ........................................................."

*add as appropriate.

This is worth a read, ML. It's on the SNP and their record on the erosion of civil liberties

https://commonspace.scot/articles/1335/ian-dunn-why-is-the-snp-fighting-the-tories-on-civil-liberties-when-its-own-record-is-just-as-bad

It was posted on another thread (I think)

Oops. Several outlets reporting that the SNP MP who got a bit loose lipped on a unilateral referendum (a few two many cheap commons beers?) has been "slapped-down" by Sturgeon.

Breaking ranks after a week? Nicola is going to have her work cut out, not everyone is prepared to play the long game.

Polls :D