The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Secondly would Cameron or Miliband trust the LDs as any sort of honourable partner in the next government?

The coalition has lasted the parliament, so yes is the answer. 

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the same way companies had 2nd thoughts about setting up in Scotland prior to the Indyref, they'll be doing the same with the UK with all the uncertainty of the election.

The economy fluctuates between destruction (Labour in charge) and recovery (Tories in charge). The economy needs to be flourishing for companies to give out benefits/rises etc which would increase the productivity levels of the country.

Cameron has presided over a fall in productivity. Edited by RosscoC

i think you will find my view was shared with 55.31% of scotland last year thankfully. it is not funny to see the level of my hatred for sturgeon and snp just frightening .

yet another one who can't stop talking about the referendum, we are talking about the UK GE. The post was about the popularity of Sturgeon, who is the most popular leader of all the parties, across the whole of the UK, You being frightened of her is very very strange

I found it interesting that in today's FMQs, Dugdale and Rennie talked entirely about a referendum, and Davidson decided to focus on attacking the literacy and numeracy findings.

No doubt in my mind that in a SNP majority Holyrood, only one party will be able to properly play the part of the opposition.

correct, Ruth Davidson has shown herself to be a really good leader of the Scottish Tories

doctor jambo

correct, Ruth Davidson has shown herself to be a really good leader of the Scottish Tories

Dare I say it if Ruth was leader of the whole party this would be a Tory win.

I like her a lot

one of the better snp crackers on here.i must admit what i will miss the most after this elections results are in will be the conspiracy stories mi5 ,rigged ballots ,media bias ,tory rags ,bbc shouting for reruns and another election next year.bluff and bluster , scaremongering .westminster project fear.laugh a minute stuff

We've got Holyrood elections next year mate! Thread will be opened on 8th May!

I like her a lot

You can dare, I suppose, but I doubt it.  If Tory CofE members were converting to Catholicism due to women priests, imagine how they'd feel being run by an openly gay woman?

She speaks well, but, and I know I am biased, but just because she speaks well doesn't take away from the fact that she is selling Tory policies that are, to me at least, an anathema.

You can dare, I suppose, but I doubt it.  If Tory CofE members were converting to Catholicism due to women priests, imagine how they'd feel being run by an openly gay woman?

She speaks well, but, and I know I am biased, but just because she speaks well doesn't take away from the fact that she is selling Tory policies that are, to me at least, an anathema.

Often though Boris, for people not quite as leftie as you, the problem with Tory policy isn't the principle or message itself, but how it is implemented or delivered, or perhaps as importantly, who is doing the delivering/implementation. The 'Tory Toff' stuff really sticks up here.

Ruth isn't stupid, she knows that if she can get people to set aside their knee-jerk anti-Tory stance and listen to what the Scottish Conservatives are saying and understand their policies, the party will start picking up votes, but it's getting people to listen that is probably her biggest battle, that's why they've chucked a lot of money and effort at a ground campaign, as even if it doesn't pay dividends this time for years the Tories have basically hidden themselves away from the electorate. Plus she has the bonus of a Lib Dem destruction and a Labour heading back left (where it should be) which leaves the 'New Labour' type open to persuasion too.

All this ridiculous photocalls - partly just because she doesn't take herself too seriously and is trying to have fun, but also because it ensures she gets in the press frequently and shown in a good light. And it's working, look at her latest approval rating compared to Murphy and Rennie and how much it has swung positively in recent times.

A large number of candidates that have been selected to fight this GE seem to have been chosen with an eye on the future but in particular with the intention of helping re-shape the parties image up here - a number of young and/or openly LGBT and/or "working class background" candidates mixed in with more established types.

It will be quite interesting to see how the Tories order their list candidates next year. And the same with Labour as it goes given they are likely to pick up far less constituency MSPs.

I also suspect we'll see a few policy differences start to creep in as well. Something which Labour will also need to do up here as you've mentioned before.

Edited by jambo1185

The Mighty Thor

Are you really moaning that the Con/Dems have not delivered austerity?

Do you think they have?

As smashy and nicey once said 'you ain't seen nothing yet'

The deficit is down but it's all been loaded onto the debt. its the proverbial shit sandwich.

This thread has become a circle jerk for the jock haters. Brilliant.

doctor jambo

Do you think they have?

As smashy and nicey once said 'you ain't seen nothing yet'

The deficit is down but it's all been loaded onto the debt. its the proverbial shit sandwich.

This thread has become a circle jerk for the jock haters. Brilliant.

Think I'm pretty clear- they have not delivered austerity, and even the fear mongering about further cuts- that wont deliver austerity either.

Its all bull.

It would be nice of someone to sit and explain in really clear terms where the increase in public spending has gone

Because its not the public sector

So where is it?

The debt is rising, the deficit is shrinking.... The debt won't shrink until we turn the deficit into a surplus

The debts effing doubled, in 5 year.

HaymarketJambo

SNP record as government in Scotland

A&E targets consistently missed

Law reforms fiasco - corroboration as an example

Promised class size reduction not delivered

Taxation - stamp duty reforms had to be rehashed once Osbourne announced his changes

Oil revenue projections - over cooked

College places reduced - student numbers 36% lower than 2008-9

Climate change targets missed for 3 consecutive years

Police Scotland - backroom staff may have to go to help close a ?1 billion funding gap

Underspend on NHS

Hardly an inspiring record so god knows how they attract the followers in the numbers that they do. 

The SNP record in government a lot better than Labour/Libdem.

SNP scrapped PFI, so we don't need to pay for hospital's etc for years to come, The Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for example.

The Scottish Parliament building itself, over budget and years late.

Council Tax rises, all under the Labour/Libdems government at Holyrood, and that's just a little sample.   

SNP

Council tax freeze - Free prescriptions - 2nd Forth Bridge crossing on time on budget - The Waverley Line on time on budget.

New hospital's getting build no PFI  all paid for and no car parking charges in the hospital as well.

New council houses getting build, that's just some of the successes of the SNP at Holyrood. 

As for some the missed targets, that happens in all governments.                  

Did your mate predict a Yes win?

Actually he didn't,he told me there was too many interferences within the system,i.e. Murdoch and Mi5,he also said that paper talk regarding Murdoch moving into the YES camp was utter nonsense,there was no way it was ever going to happen.

He also said there was never a hope in hell that the SNP would stand a chance because Ruth Davidson let the cat out of the bag regarding postal votes already being counted,plus the illegal opening of the voting boxes.

one of the better snp crackers on here.i must admit what i will miss the most after this elections results are in will be the conspiracy stories mi5 ,rigged ballots ,media bias ,tory rags ,bbc shouting for reruns and another election next year.bluff and bluster , scaremongering .westminster project fear.laugh a minute stuff

Only thing im looking for from the GE is The Labour Party to remember itself.

Mind have a waterproof phone,PC, and/or tablet ready for all the tears and slebbers coming next thursday unionists.

Edited by aussieh

TheMaganator

Actually he didn't,he told me there was too many interferences within the system,i.e. Murdoch and Mi5,he also said that paper talk regarding Murdoch moving into the YES camp was utter nonsense,there was no way it was ever going to happen.

He also said there was never a hope in hell that the SNP would stand a chance because Ruth Davidson let the cat out of the bag regarding postal votes already being counted,plus the illegal opening of the voting boxes.

Newspapers & MI5 rather than just shite arguments in favour of it?

See the Gerald Warner piece above.

Growth in last 3 months not quite as good as it has been due to looming economic crisis if Labour/SNP are running the country, but prior to that, the fastest growing economy in Europe....

0.3%.

We will be deflationary again, soon - and no, Osborne is NOT getting off by blaming the looming GE or Labour/SNP, they've managed this piss-poor level of incompetency all by themselves.

Edited by Gizmo

Only thing im looking for from the GE is The Labour Party to remember itself.

Mind have a waterproof phone,PC, and/or tablet ready for all the tears and slebbers coming next thursday unionists.

Aussieh, sorry if you have already answered this, but when did you stop voting Labour? On the basis you are angry at the party forgetting its roots, it must have been 1997 surely?

0.3%.

We will be deflationary again, soon - and no, Osborne is NOT getting off by blaming the looming GE or Labour/SNP, they've managed this piss-poor level of incompetency all by themselves.

There is some expectation that there will be a small revision upwards (see also the double dip recession that never happened because the initial figures are almost always revised a few weeks later). It'll be after the election anyway, but yes this slow down was definitely a hammer blow to Osborne after a few "good news" economic figures in the previous weeks, and growth up until that point look alright.

Edited by jambo1185

The Mighty Thor

Think I'm pretty clear- they have not delivered austerity, and even the fear mongering about further cuts- that wont deliver austerity either.

Its all bull.

It would be nice of someone to sit and explain in really clear terms where the increase in public spending has gone

Because its not the public sector

So where is it?

Smoke and mirrors mate.

There's been no austerity. Just a bit of fannying around at the edges.

Aussieh, sorry if you have already answered this, but when did you stop voting Labour? On the basis you are angry at the party forgetting its roots, it must have been 1997 surely?

I like her a lot

Have a read of her social media bud, then tell me what u think, that guy Fraser seems sound enough though.

Sidsnot, a few of us have already been discussing that story this morning. Think the formatting has gone all funny as well. Do you have any thoughts on it btw?

Milibands comment that it is a reveal of a "secret plan" is laughable.

All parties have policy options papers containing ideas which get dropped as soon as they are discussed. It's hardly a scandal, that's the whole point of these, to cover all bases including some incredible extremes to get the thought process going.

As it happens, I don't think changing child benefit is all that bad a thing if the plan is to no longer offer it for third children (assuming it's only for future births it applies, wouldn't agree with it being taken off someone already in receipt, although I think that stopping payments at 16 could be applied to current kids on a transitional basis (say applicable to those under 12 only when the policy is enacted)).

However, if the Lib Dems are leaking their own documents it adds credence to the thought that the #Nikileaks scandal arose from Carmichael.

As much as I hate to admit it,there are parts that I agree with,we can't just keep pumping out millions on child benefit that's for sure,also,I'd make it illegal for folk out with the E U to come to the UK and send money back to where they are living.

We also need to help pensioners out,it's a scandal that we are the second lowest in the EU when it comes to payments apparently.

At the moment it's just over ?115 pm,that is ridiculously low especially when you see old foghorns in the House of Lords receiving ?305 a day for snoozing in the place,not only that,they recieve an additional ?33k a year in expenses if they live outside of London which is for taxi/train/airline usage and meals as well.

Rid us of them pronto Nicola,please.

As much as I hate to admit it,there are parts that I agree with,we can't just keep pumping out millions on child benefit that's for sure,also,I'd make it illegal for folk out with the E U to come to the UK and send money back to where they are living.

We also need to help pensioners out,it's a scandal that we are the second lowest in the EU when it comes to payments apparently.

At the moment it's just over ?115 pm,that is ridiculously low especially when you see old foghorns in the House of Lords receiving ?305 a day for snoozing in the place,not only that,they recieve an additional ?33k a year in expenses if they live outside of London which is for taxi/train/airline usage and meals as well.

H.O.Ls has got to go.

TheMaganator

Dont snap your flutes in a hissy fit either now, when the SNP win the lot. Mintit. :)

What's this Mintit gobbledygook?

Some form of double speak that only the believers understand?

It needs to start working for Scotland again, took for grantit for too long.

What's this Mintit gobbledygook?

Some form of double speak that only the believers understand?

Always say it mags, habit, now start typing it, otherwords means Brilliant.

Newspapers & MI5 rather than just shite arguments in favour of it?

See the Gerald Warner piece above.

See this.

http://aanirfan.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/vote-fraud-in-scottish-referendum.html

There WAS outside interference I can assure you of that.

As a side note,my family received their voting cards last week,there's four of us,my son received another voting card this morning,THAT should never happen.

Cheers thanks, it's also not that much. ?20 a week. Now of course if you are in a low income household that ?20 can be a real help, but it's a benefit that is quite widely available (dropping to under ?15 for every additional child you have) on incomes up to ?50,000 (this is individual, not joint, income - so if you have one person on ?55,000 and one on zero, because they stop working, or just a much lower wage you get more limited child benefit, but a couple who both earn ?49,000 will get full child benefit).

Once a person in the household hits ?50,000 you pay 1% in tax back on every ?100 above ?50k (so once you hit ?60k you would be paying the whole thing back).

For me, I think it's ridiculous that a household on ?98k gets a benefit of ?20 p/w at all, let alone that a household on ?51k starts to lose the benefit (which is still of course a lot of money, but we're talking about a situation where a household with almost twice as much income gets a benefit they don't!).

So yes, Child Benefit is one that should be being "cut" as in having the eligibility criteria tightened up significantly (tapered down from joint income of ?50k, only payable on first three children).

Edited by jambo1185

H.O.Ls has got to go.

As the Dire Straits song says,and the band's name is quite appropriate,it's Money for nothing.......maybe we should let the old codgers have the chicks for free though,a wee heart attack may occur.:)

Cheers thanks, it's also not that much. ?20 a week. Now of course if you are in a low income household that ?20 can be a real help, but it's a benefit that is quite widely available (dropping to under ?15 for every additional child you have) on incomes up to ?50,000 (this is individual, not joint, income - so if you have one person on ?55,000 and one on zero, because they stop working, or just a much lower wage you get more limited child benefit, but a couple who both earn ?49,000 will get full child benefit).

Once a person in the household hits ?50,000 you pay 1% in tax back on every ?100 above ?50k (so once you hit ?60k you would be paying the whole thing back).

For me, I think it's ridiculous that a household on ?98k gets a benefit of ?20 p/w at all, let alone that a household on ?51k starts to lose the benefit (which is still of course a lot of money, but we're talking about a situation where a household with almost twice as much income gets a benefit they don't!).

Yep,without a doubt it's a crazy state of affairs though I recall many folk in Middle England being unhappy about it,many of them being Tory voters.

I was talking to a relative the other week,an SNP voter in Hamilton regarding council tax,I thought it might be a good idea to put it up,she almost bit my head off when I suggested even ?5 pm,she then said she's paying just over ?200 pm as it is,safe to say I apologized.

Economist come out for Tories (after supporting Labour in past two elections)

Financial Times come out for tactical votes for the Lib Dems to continue the current coalition.

New Statesman comes out for Labour (surprise surprise)

Spectator comes out for Tories (surprise surprise)

Yep,without a doubt it's a crazy state of affairs though I recall many folk in Middle England being unhappy about it,many of them being Tory voters.

I was talking to a relative the other week,an SNP voter in Hamilton regarding council tax,I thought it might be a good idea to put it up,she almost bit my head off when I suggested even ?5 pm,she then said she's paying just over ?200 pm as it is,safe to say I apologized.

Often the people who moan about potential council tax rises are also those who moan about the quality or lack of local services, unable to join the dots that to get top services you actually have to pay for them.

Often the people who moan about potential council tax rises are also those who moan about the quality or lack of local services, unable to join the dots that to get top services you actually have to pay for them.

That's true,though in one respect I told her higher council tax would preserve council jobs,she replied,just do away with a weapon which will never be used in anger,she's right.

Meant to add this link I saw on Twitter,I don't use Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10152868226436939/

Edited by Sidsnot

Thunderstruck

See this.

As a side note,my family received their voting cards last week,there's four of us,my son received another voting card this morning,THAT should never happen.

I don't know what's worse, that site or those who believe its contents.

For these claims to have any foundation you would have to assume that every Returning Officer, every Presiding Officer, every Polling Clerk, every driver, every lifter/shifter and every member of counting staff were complicit and voting in the way suggested by the conspiracists. Preposterous!

TheMaganator

See this.

Come on now, Sid. You can assure me of no such thing. 

There was no rigging or funny business. These conspiracy theories only serve to stoke resentment.

Remember that loony that filmed himself in a van collecting lots of ballots with Yes crosses in them - as he had been 'tipped off' that Yes ballots had been put in the bin.  It turned out he had printed them all on his computer :lol:

Here he is - John, son of David and full-time lunatic. 

I assume this is David

24CABA94-B21E-49DA-A6E6-3CC31D098D38_zps

TheMaganator

e5c23fcf6e387b3c000c48ab100637e5.jpg

That is too small to see but does it not say since 2012? I'd be more interested to see something from his whole tenure (assuming that isn't it)

I think there's a lot of merit in a second chamber, but we need reform of what we have.

Agreed, elected from Counties. Edited by aussieh

Did some of the big pro-indy blogs not even have to do long posts explaining all the viral photos and videos of supposed electoral fraud were nonsense, based predominantly on people not understand how countings work and what jobs people do? One being a photo of lots of yes votes in a no pile because they hadn't actually been sorted or counted yet.

doctor jambo

That's true,though in one respect I told her higher council tax would preserve council jobs,she replied,just do away with a weapon which will never be used in anger,she's right.

Meant to add this link I saw on Twitter,I don't use Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10152868226436939/

The trident trillions have not yet been borrowed or spent

They will have no effect on anyones council tax

So far not renewing trident is funding the NHS, child care, free prescriptions, regeneration of Faslane into a naval base with new Frigates, reduce the deficit, provide more nurses and GP's, reduce class sizes and continue the council tax whilst eliminating child poverty- which is outstanding, considering the money actually does not exist, and will need to be borrowed- ie lumped on the debt pile

I don't know what's worse, that site or those who believe its contents.

For these claims to have any foundation you would have to assume that every Returning Officer, every Presiding Officer, every Polling Clerk, every driver, every lifter/shifter and every member of counting staff were complicit and voting in the way suggested by the conspiracists. Preposterous!

Is it really,before Sept 18th the amount of folk I knew voting for Independence was incredible.

Only two of my friends,both Tory voters were the only ones I knew of voting NO,both live in Joppa,very near Easter Rd,hundreds and when I say hundreds I mean hundreds were voting YES,mainly around Motherwell and Hamilton areas I might add.

I was so confident from seeing the amount of folk around Glasgow,I thought it was a stick on that YES would win.

To say I was livid the following day is an understatement,that was before the Unionist riots in Freedom Square,this time around,I'm much more relaxed,I won't count my chickens yet but my confidence is high because this time we are ready,the Vow has never been delivered,it will never see the light of day,ever.

Come on now, Sid. You can assure me of no such thing. 

There was no rigging or funny business. These conspiracy theories only serve to stoke resentment.

Remember that loony that filmed himself in a van collecting lots of ballots with Yes crosses in them - as he had been 'tipped off' that Yes ballots had been put in the bin.  It turned out he had printed them all on his computer :lol:

Here he is - John, son of David and full-time lunatic. 

I assume this is David

24CABA94-B21E-49DA-A6E6-3CC31D098D38_zps

That guy is a quack,I'm sure every sane person thinks exactly the same as myself that he's a currant short of a total fruitcake.

The trident trillions have not yet been borrowed or spent

They will have no effect on anyones council tax

So far not renewing trident is funding the NHS, child care, free prescriptions, regeneration of Faslane into a naval base with new Frigates, reduce the deficit, provide more nurses and GP's, reduce class sizes and continue the council tax whilst eliminating child poverty- which is outstanding, considering the money actually does not exist, and will need to be borrowed- ie lumped on the debt pile

Spot on,don't forget that it was only last week our national debt reached ?1.5 trillion yet our barmy leaders gives a knighthood to a criminal in the banking industry,jeez.

Malinga the Swinga

Is it really,before Sept 18th the amount of folk I knew voting for Independence was incredible.

Only two of my friends,both Tory voters were the only ones I knew of voting NO,both live in Joppa,very near Easter Rd,hundreds and when I say hundreds I mean hundreds were voting YES,mainly around Motherwell and Hamilton areas I might add.

I was so confident from seeing the amount of folk around Glasgow,I thought it was a stick on that YES would win.

To say I was livid the following day is an understatement,that was before the Unionist riots in Freedom Square,this time around,I'm much more relaxed,I won't count my chickens yet but my confidence is high because this time we are ready,the Vow has never been delivered,it will never see the light of day,ever.

you do realise that millions of votes were cast in the referendum. Just because the circles you mixed in wanted a Yes vote, doesn't mean that would be replicated everywhere in Scotland. About 99% of the people I knew who could vote were adamant that they were voting No and that was what they did. A lot of people didn't want the bother of the Yes campaigners ramming their arguments down their throats and probably said anything just to shut them up.

You mention Unionist riots. Would that be a few drunks and Rangers fans causing a disturbance that took the police about 15 minutes to get under control. How come these riots were only seen in Glasgow? Could it be because most people accepted the result, shrugged their shoulders and got on with their day to day lives, because unlike you and the losing team, they were happy to remain part of the UK.

To suggest any outside conspiracy is just pre bunkum and straw clutching of the highest order. The SNP may win the most seats in the election, but should there be another referendum, they will get the same result as the last time. Giving Labour a kicking is one thing, destroying the UK is something different altogether.