Ann Budge - HMFC Takeover Complete

upgotheheads

Dalstonjambo

So lawyers being arseholes, well I never...

Biggest bunch of useless wankers going.

London estate agents take it for me

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad Sexington

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

Having recently retired after working 30 years on The Scotsman, Evening News and, occasionally, the SOS, I have to speak out in support of my friends and former colleagues who still work there.

Let me make things crystal-clear. There is not, nor has there ever been, any anti-Hearts bias on these newspapers. There are as many Jambos on the staff as there are Hibbies and followers of other clubs. In fact, some of the best-known writers whom so many of you accuse of inventing anti-Hearts stories are as fanatical Jambos as any who regularly spout their vile, ignorant and defamatory drivel on this website.

These are the facts, whether you like them or not, or whether they clash with your own prejudices. I have been a Hearts supporter for more than 50 years and a journalist for 40 years, so I think I know as much about what constitutes good football reporting as any of you. Remember, these journalists are covered by the laws of libel and contempt that you all seem happy to ignore. So please, give them a break and give us all a rest from your anti-Scotsman guff.

You must be proud that you and your pals have had a hand in destroying a once fine newspaper.

This is all part of the process of coming out of admin. It's happening and hopefully soon.

That's all really

Geoff Kilpatrick

This is all part of the process of coming out of admin. It's happening and hopefully soon.

That's all really

Yep.

Paperwork is an arse.

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

Having recently retired after working 30 years on The Scotsman, Evening News and, occasionally, the SOS, I have to speak out in support of my friends and former colleagues who still work there.

Let me make things crystal-clear. There is not, nor has there ever been, any anti-Hearts bias on these newspapers. There are as many Jambos on the staff as there are Hibbies and followers of other clubs. In fact, some of the best-known writers whom so many of you accuse of inventing anti-Hearts stories are as fanatical Jambos as any who regularly spout their vile, ignorant and defamatory drivel on this website.

These are the facts, whether you like them or not, or whether they clash with your own prejudices. I have been a Hearts supporter for more than 50 years and a journalist for 40 years, so I think I know as much about what constitutes good football reporting as any of you. Remember, these journalists are covered by the laws of libel and contempt that you all seem happy to ignore. So please, give them a break and give us all a rest from your anti-Scotsman guff.

Hearts fans believe that the Scotsman has an anti HMfC agenda. The paper should do something about it if they are bothered. Meanwhile most won't and don't read it as it's nothing more than a Hibs fanzine. I can understand why you had to wait till retirement before speaking up. Enjoy it.

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

Yeah right.

What was the racist pile of shite called "Romanir Vladimov" if not "ignorant and defamatory drivel"? What about that column said "quality journalism" and "integrity" to you?

Your paper has been dire for years and the lack of support for Edinburgh's main team has been noted repeatedly.

The Scotsman and EEN were worth reading years ago but now they're little more than a relic and an annoyance. They'll be gone soon anyway.

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

Try and explain this then http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/hearts-left-waiting-on-confirmation-of-ubig-deal-1-3391915 followed shortly by an announcement that there was no objections.

You can write non story's without being libellous or contemptuous which is a regular occurrence at JP.

The story could have read time is tight to get the agreement signed before there is a problem with money running out and not "However, sources close to the ongoing negotiations have described talks involving lawyers for Budge, BDO, Ubig and Ukio Bankas, who have agreed a ?2.5 million company voluntary arrangement (CVA), as frustratingly ?stop-start?. This is what causes people to think bias exists at the Scotsman. The cooling off period only expired on the 27th and this story was penned and printed on the 30th, 2 days for "frustratingly stop-start" to become a problem, no sorry this story is only written to fuel an imaginary fire.

Welcome to Kickback by the way.

Geoff Kilpatrick

There is NO anti-Hearts bias at The Scotsman. That is a fact, whether you believe it or not.

That's cool. The decline in readership says otherwise.

There is NO anti-Hearts bias at The Scotsman. That is a fact, whether you believe it or not.

Do you live at Craiglochart?

How can you claim it to be fact? Why don't you post under you real name so as too add weight to your comments? I find it strange that you decided to only just come on now and defend the paper.I have a friend who still works at the paper and he tells a different story from yourself. My opinion is based on the drivel that I have read in your paper.

Well that's that all cleared up then.

A journo that worked for the paper said so.

:gok:

Geoff Kilpatrick

How can you claim it to be fact? Why don't you post under you real name so as too add weight to your comments? I find it strange that you decided to only just come on now and defend the paper.I have a friend who still works at the paper and he tells a different story from yourself. My opinion is based on the drivel that I have read in your paper.

Never worry about it. You will deflect the thread away from the key point that it is sensationalist shite!

It never got signed on the day of the cooling off period finishing thus there are hyooj apocalyptic problums wi thu paperwork.

It's not that it's biased against Hearts, it's just that it's journalists are bog standard and their headlines are sensationalist to sell copies of the dwindling rag.

Bias might not be the right word, yes. Maybe they're just more comfortable in using the predicament of Hearts to create doom and gloom sensational headlines and to draw clicks / purchases than they are many other things. It's still annoying though.

I've been getting increasingly irritated by the sub-editors lately. The headlines almost never actually match the content of the articles, they're usually just a load of tabloid style sensational bollocks.

Hourly Rates? You obviously have had little dealings with corporate lawyers. Lawyers bill their time in increments of six, twelve or eighteen minutes depending on their corporate billing policy. No doubt they will take the chance to expand their fees but I too do not believe that there are any real issues apart from tedious paperwork formalities in two languages.

:laugh:

Yes. 3 minutes for 'perusal'.

Bet he/she was in the loo, sneaky bugger.

Oh number seven have you forgotten how many good jambos stood alongside you during the hands off hibs campaign. I was one of them but I sure as shit wouldn't be doing it again in a hurry given some of the utter hatred spouted at us in recent years

Snap.

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

When you kick someone when they are down, they tend to remember who it was when they get back up ;)

kingantti1874

The stories suggest differently... Remember Tom English hearts fans are animals piece? They will reap what they sow.

Enjoy your retirement

jambos are go!

At a recent HMSA meeting Ian Murray said the entire Scottish media had been helpful and supportive throughout the FOH campaign. It does not take a genius to work out that Scotsman Publications was central to that praise. Given the trouble that a couple of individual non Hearts fans seemed to have caused any so minded major media outlet could probably have caused us umpteen times more serious damage or delay if they chose. For instance its clear Ann Budge wanted her involvement to remain discreet for as long as possible. That happened.

Claims of bias just don't stack up. IMO.

May one-six

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

Dear anorman, I believe you when you say that there is no anti-Hearts bias at Scotsman publications and I know of at least one Jambo writer who contributes regularly to its newspapers' sports pages. However, in this case perception is all. The Scotsman, News and SOS have several out and out Hobos as regular high profile contributors and, I think, only one outed Hearts fan, ie Gary MacKay. It's this lack of balance, rather than bias, that causes the problems. Until that's addressed I think the perceptions will continue. As for 'doom and gloom' stories, being a newspaper person you will know that misery is the default setting for most journos.

Francis Albert

IMO the hibsmans article isnt especially unfair - Bryan Jackson has said all along that the club has about enough working capital to continue to operate until the end of April, which is today.

This agreement has to be completed as a real matter of urgency from the clubs point of view. Stalling tactics are likely the Lith lawyers final means of trying to extort more money from the bidder. If Romanov and his henchmen are anything to go by, then these Lithuanian lawyers are probably an absolute ******* nightmare to work with.

I believe Bryan Jackson last said it when they were pushing hard to get the share deals agreed. The Scotsman is good at speculation ... might it at least have considered whether the "scare" about running out of money today might

have had something to do with getting the share deal agreed?

Yep

Lawyers are paid to make any agreement within the law and covering the issues raised by both sides. Can be very important to get the words right and it takes time and there will always be negotiations over phrasing and the detail of terms. The job will be done though, I am confident of that

The amount of time taken to finalise legal agreements tends to expand to the time available in my experience so I expect it to be pretty last minute and wouldn't be surprised if it is early next week when we are done with it

A few years ago I went to Brussels to mediate between Scottish and Belgian lawyers who were having problems with the clauses in a 'terms and conditions' document which had to be produced in French and Flemish. They knew the respective laws while I knew what the clauses were actually intended to mean (a fair bit of jargon in the English language document)

I expected to spend an afternoon sorting out the offending clauses but wound up staying for a week. It transpired that some normal UK clauses didn't work in Belgian law and the suggested changes by the foreign lawyers made the clauses mean something totally different from the intended meaning.

Consequently any delays getting our document agreed with Lith lawyers doesn't surprise me in the slightest. It's just a very long, technical and boring process. Fear not chaps ...

gorgie rd eh11

If people stop creating links to the scotsman or clicking on links to the scotsman then we would not have to bother with their hibs minded drivel. They made their bed now they have to lie on it, i for one won't be forgetting it no matter how many apologists come on here and try to rewrite the abysmal way they have dealt with Edinburgh football for a number of years. **** the scotsman.

Geoff Kilpatrick

If people stop creating links to the scotsman or clicking on links to the scotsman then we would not have to bother with their hibs minded drivel. They made their bed now they have to lie on it, i for one won't be forgetting it no matter how many apologists come on here and try to rewrite the abysmal way they have dealt with Edinburgh football for a number of years. **** the scotsman.

This

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

You may have a point - up to a point. But...

Are you seriously suggesting that newspapers do not exaggerate their stories by producing an eye catching headline that sometimes/often bears little resemblance to the nub of the story, just to sell papers? It may be co-incidence that HMFC, certainly since the arrival of Romanov, have provided a fertile ground for the media generally but a more local newspaper has a greater responsibility to its core readership to tell the story exactly and in this context reporters should be clear as not to present opinion as fact.

For me the best source of news is the STV followed by the BBC. There are very few if any papers that write anything half decent or close to the facts.

Dallas Green

For me the best source of news is the STV followed by the BBC. There are very few if any papers that write anything half decent or close to the facts.

Best source of news is JKB ;)

Then STV.

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

You agree Aiden Smith is a delusional hobo fantasist though.

Then STV.

JKB is where a lot of the press get their info. I seen it in action.

Dalstonjambo

Or a desperate attempt to avert a slide in readership due to a negative slant on most things Hearts from an Edinburgh newspaper, that seems more likely, whether you believe it or not.

The Old Tolbooth

I remember being at the Hibs Rally in 1990, I remember the Proclaimers fronting the whole day (they're cringeworthy at the best of times, but we felt at the time it was for a good cause so stomached it), and I witnessed with my own eyes not just Hearts fans mixing with Hibs fans, but fans of plenty other clubs showing their colours in support of HIbs going bust, but there was plenty maroon there too. The crowd there would have been around 10K if I remember rightly, and the Dunbar End was pretty much completely empty. I left the rally that day thinking I had done a good deed, and to this day I still believe I have because there would have been no more Hearts either, let alone the death of HIbs, as the two clubs would have been merged and a lot of history would be lost (despite HIbs fans claims that we would have played in maroon and been called Hearts to justify their pathetic singing of the death of a cancer victim)

Kenny McLean at the time appealed for both Hearts and Hibs fans to turn up in huge numbers and forget about tribalism for the day, and tribalism was very much forgotten as there was absolutely zero aggro (not that I saw anyway) throughout the day, and Hibs fans even applauded the Hearts fans who turned up, however the expected 25,000 turn out which had been planned for, never materialised, there wasn't even half of that there, and yet Hibs fans go on about "a proper way of saving a club", and a good few of them were Hearts fans! I've often wondered just how many Hibs fans actually turned up that day, it wasn't many that's for sure, and nowhere near the numbers that have been turning up in their droves, digging deep into their pockets, and doing anything they can to fund raise to save HMFC.

I remember when we were threatened with liquidation before Romanov came along, and the sheer hatred they showed towards Hearts, and the utter desire they showed for us to go bust, there were actually very few Hibbies around then who actually wanted us to stay afloat, and I couldn't quite get my head around this, more so because I'd stood with them at their pishy wee rally to lend a supporting hand, and yet the feeling when the roles were reversed was so poisonous that it was incredible! I tried to make sense of it, and I still can't, I can actually understand more why they want us dead nowadays because they feel we've financially cheated our way to two Scottish Cup wins, and robbed them of their elusive holy grail since Romanov took over (even though it's a crock of shite, at least it's half a reason), but trying to get my head around it before Romanov came in was extremely difficult because it was Hibs who tried to buy success in the late 80s and early 90s before it went pear shaped, and it was Hibs who bought their way out of the old First Division in 1999 when they racked up huge debts to come straight back up (they'd probably be dead had they not come straight back up), and then got very lucky with some decent talent to sell to the Old Firm to keep them going, and yet they beat the drum about financial mismanagement to anyone who will give them the time of day.

If the roles are ever reversed and Hibs find themselves in serious financial difficulty again, then I know where they can shove my support this time as I'll simply point and laugh, I'm 100% convinced that if that day were to happen, then Hibs fans would never be able to come together like Hearts fans have and save their tinpot clubs existence, it just wouldn't happen, they're currently embroiled in some of the most important matches in their history by trying to keep their club in the top flight, and yet less than 10,000 of them could be bothered to turn up for what should have been close to a sell out!

A pathetic club with pathetic fans, and yet I would still hate to see them go bust because we have too much fun with them, I think the fact that we practically own them on every footballing stage is pure karma for the way everyone associated with that horrible little club behaves in relation to anything to do with Hearts whenever anything threatens to go wrong, long may they survive, but as usual, as our bitches!

Glamorgan Jambo

I'm sure you're in a sense right.

However two recent examples of content made me wonder a bit. Firstly a story about Pat Munro's alleged bid for Tynecastle, and secondly a 'letter' from someone using the nom de plume 'Rob Lockhart' which was full of inane drivel associated with a tiny minority of Hibs fans.

Neither story had any substance, both could reasonably be concluded as fabrications, and both reflected terribly on the professionalism of whoever 'edited' them in.

There are lots of other examples like this.

So please go on feeling upset but until the Scotsman and SOS (not the EEN) become something more like their predecessors they'll carry on dying a lingering death.

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

Fascinating stuff, however not only do we (Hearts Fans) think the paper (I'll be polite here) misses the mark in terms of its target audience, but the Hibs support seems to think the same. For example they and not without good reason ridicule many of Barry Anderson's misinformed articles the same way we have a problem with Iain Collin and Jonathon Coates writing articles about Hearts financial state with one quote seemingly gleamed from "sources close to the ongoing negotiations" - honestly how close are these sources because a quick scan back over other articles quoting similar sources have turned out to be in all honesty wrong.

The paper needs to rethink how it engages with the Edinburgh supporters, whether you agree or not actually doesn't matter there's a clear message being sent out that we're fed up reading it and it's not giving us any information that we find credible.

I remember being at the Hibs Rally in 1990, I remember the Proclaimers fronting the whole day (they're cringeworthy at the best of times, but we felt at the time it was for a good cause so stomached it), and I witnessed with my own eyes not just Hearts fans mixing with Hibs fans, but fans of plenty other clubs showing their colours in support of HIbs going bust, but there was plenty maroon there too. The crowd there would have been around 10K if I remember rightly, and the Dunbar End was pretty much completely empty. I left the rally that day thinking I had done a good deed, and to this day I still believe I have because there would have been no more Hearts either, let alone the death of HIbs, as the two clubs would have been merged and a lot of history would be lost (despite HIbs fans claims that we would have played in maroon and been called Hearts to justify their pathetic singing of the death of a cancer victim)

Kenny McLean at the time appealed for both Hearts and Hibs fans to turn up in huge numbers and forget about tribalism for the day, and tribalism was very much forgotten as there was absolutely zero aggro (not that I saw anyway) throughout the day, and Hibs fans even applauded the Hearts fans who turned up, however the expected 25,000 turn out which had been planned for, never materialised, there wasn't even half of that there, and yet Hibs fans go on about "a proper way of saving a club", and a good few of them were Hearts fans! I've often wondered just how many Hibs fans actually turned up that day, it wasn't many that's for sure, and nowhere near the numbers that have been turning up in their droves, digging deep into their pockets, and doing anything they can to fund raise to save HMFC.

I remember when we were threatened with liquidation before Romanov came along, and the sheer hatred they showed towards Hearts, and the utter desire they showed for us to go bust, there were actually very few Hibbies around then who actually wanted us to stay afloat, and I couldn't quite get my head around this, more so because I'd stood with them at their pishy wee rally to lend a supporting hand, and yet the feeling when the roles were reversed was so poisonous that it was incredible! I tried to make sense of it, and I still can't, I can actually understand more why they want us dead nowadays because they feel we've financially cheated our way to two Scottish Cup wins, and robbed them of their elusive holy grail since Romanov took over (even though it's a crock of shite, at least it's half a reason), but trying to get my head around it before Romanov came in was extremely difficult because it was Hibs who tried to buy success in the late 80s and early 90s before it went pear shaped, and it was Hibs who bought their way out of the old First Division in 1999 when they racked up huge debts to come straight back up (they'd probably be dead had they not come straight back up), and then got very lucky with some decent talent to sell to the Old Firm to keep them going, and yet they beat the drum about financial mismanagement to anyone who will give them the time of day.

If the roles are ever reversed and Hibs find themselves in serious financial difficulty again, then I know where they can shove my support this time as I'll simply point and laugh, I'm 100% convinced that if that day were to happen, then Hibs fans would never be able to come together like Hearts fans have and save their tinpot clubs existence, it just wouldn't happen, they're currently embroiled in some of the most important matches in their history by trying to keep their club in the top flight, and yet less than 10,000 of them could be bothered to turn up for what should have been close to a sell out!

A pathetic club with pathetic fans, and yet I would still hate to see them go bust because we have too much fun with them, I think the fact that we practically own them on every footballing stage is pure karma for the way everyone associated with that horrible little club behaves in relation to anything to do with Hearts whenever anything threatens to go wrong, long may they survive, but as usual, as our bitches!

Brilliant! Just brilliant! :2thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Would be interested to hear the opinions of those who don't think that rag is biased on the actual article itself.

Paperwork is an arse.

Ain't it just, Goeff. It's my job and since the advent of MS Word the documents are getting longer, as are the length of words.

How did anything get built before Babbage.

Dallas Green

JKB is where a lot of the press get their info. I seen it in action.

I'm not in the slightest surprised by that.

Absolutely ******* brilliant post John.

Then STV.

Yup. Agreed - although some stuff on here still needs to be taken with a pinch of salt until STV report the definitive version.

Hearts fans believe that the Scotsman has an anti HMfC agenda. The paper should do something about it if they are bothered. Meanwhile most won't and don't read it as it's nothing more than a Hibs fanzine. I can understand why you had to wait till retirement before speaking up. Enjoy it.

hearts fans believe the scotsman has an anti hmfc agenda and is pro hibs, but hibs fans also believe it has an anti hfc agenda, and is pro hearts. Does this not make you wonder if maybe it's just reporting?

Is it possible, that bad news sometimes is bad news and not just spin?

(The above does not include the point r.e. misleading headlines, used to increase hits/sales, as these are common traits in all papers.)

scott_jambo

A mixture of lazy journalism (contacting the same local people and passing it off as "sources from lithuania") and tabloid style writing has seen this paper compromise quality in a bid to increase circulation. On what level was that ever going to succeed?

No one recognises The Scotsman as the paper it used to be. Everyone is in agreement this Johnstone press monstrosity is a depressing shadow if it's former self and on a life support machine.

A paper who's editors miss it's audience on all areas whether it's independence, current affairs or east coast football. An evening paper who's only purpose is the obituaries, to solve this local identity crisis it raises prices every six months and has back page adverts so it resembles a metro.

Yes Bathgate and a few others may have an affinity to hearts, but the sports editor will be the one responsible for allowing Aidian Smith to ramble misty eyed nonsense in the SOS to a weekly deadline.

I feel sorry for the everyday staff who are consistently let go and made redundant. Not to mention the printers in Edinburgh that closed and the reduction of the EEN to a morning edition, thus making any news story 1 day out of date.

No one is happy that the editorial stance on everything has driven a once fine Edinburgh based paper to the wall. But its happening and there's no turning back. None of us will miss the current frankenstein-esque paper it has become.

Geoff,

I see no bias at all in today's article. It is simple statement of the facts.

W.

I expected to spend an afternoon sorting out the offending clauses but wound up staying for a week. It transpired that some normal UK clauses didn't work in Belgian law and the suggested changes by the foreign lawyers made the clauses mean something totally different from the intended meaning.

The problem I encounter often when going through Terms & Conditions with companies from different countries is that the law of English & Wales (which predominates in Oil & Gas industry) is based on common law while European law (including Scots law) is based in Roman law. The English law of contract is based on whatever you signed is carved in stone (good or bad). While European law is based on equity i.e. if you can prove the contract you signed was unfair then it can be thrown out in court.

The nuances of what appeared to be simple clauses can take days to reach agreement on and that assumes you can get all the lawyers together at the same time. In my experience unless you lock the door once they are all together they are like a box of frogs. Critical deadlines are good as it focuses the mind.

hearts fans believe the scotsman has an anti hmfc agenda and is pro hibs, but hibs fans also believe it has an anti hfc agenda, and is pro hearts. Does this not make you wonder if maybe it's just reporting?

(The above does not include the point r.e. misleading headlines, used to increase hits/sales, as these are common traits in all papers.)

That is my take on it.

However that doesn't detract from the level of reporting style being pish.

Would agree... I don't think the paper has any real agenda, but some of journalists have their opinions which come across in a negative manner.

I would say that Hearts/ Vlad has antagonised the press over the years. (Chimpgate).

I lets see how things will be under Ann, I expect it to get better.

I used to check the EN daily... now I prefer to check twitter!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff,

I see no bias at all in today's article. It is simple statement of the facts.

W.

No probs.

Should we shite ourselves then?

Archived