Ann Budge - HMFC Takeover Complete

upgotheheads

:laugh: This thread is as hilarious as it is tragic.

There is no anti-Hearts conspiracy. Get off yer soap boxes. Ask fans of any club in the SPL and there will be some who will be convinced that their is an agenda of some kind against their club.

I don't believe people lie awake at night thinking about how they can write nasty stuff about Hearts. And even if there is who cares? The main thing is getting your own house in order and conducting thr club's activities in the best way possible.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gorgie rd eh11

There is no anti-Hearts conspiracy. Get off yer soap boxes. Ask fans of any club in the SPL and there will be some who will be convinced that their is an agenda of some kind against their club.

I don't believe people lie awake at night thinking about how they can write nasty stuff about Hearts. And even if there is who cares? The main thing is getting your own house in order and conducting thr club's activities in the best way possible.

Gullible.

colinmaroon

I think your "location" gives you away.

Too much wacky baccy!!!

fraz the postie

For me the best source of news is the STV followed by the BBC. There are very few if any papers that write anything half decent or close to the facts.

Gregg's !

Francis Albert

I don't think anyone has suggested anything as complex as a "conspiracy" (I am not sure they'd be up to anything as difficult as that), just bias. And if it is just bog standard paranoia on our part, common to very group of fans,

"hilarious" and "tragic" seem rather strong words (an over-reaction worthy of Scotsman journalists and sub-editors).

Jamboman1512

I remember being at the Hibs Rally in 1990, I remember the Proclaimers fronting the whole day (they're cringeworthy at the best of times, but we felt at the time it was for a good cause so stomached it), and I witnessed with my own eyes not just Hearts fans mixing with Hibs fans, but fans of plenty other clubs showing their colours in support of HIbs going bust, but there was plenty maroon there too. The crowd there would have been around 10K if I remember rightly, and the Dunbar End was pretty much completely empty. I left the rally that day thinking I had done a good deed, and to this day I still believe I have because there would have been no more Hearts either, let alone the death of HIbs, as the two clubs would have been merged and a lot of history would be lost (despite HIbs fans claims that we would have played in maroon and been called Hearts to justify their pathetic singing of the death of a cancer victim)

Kenny McLean at the time appealed for both Hearts and Hibs fans to turn up in huge numbers and forget about tribalism for the day, and tribalism was very much forgotten as there was absolutely zero aggro (not that I saw anyway) throughout the day, and Hibs fans even applauded the Hearts fans who turned up, however the expected 25,000 turn out which had been planned for, never materialised, there wasn't even half of that there, and yet Hibs fans go on about "a proper way of saving a club", and a good few of them were Hearts fans! I've often wondered just how many Hibs fans actually turned up that day, it wasn't many that's for sure, and nowhere near the numbers that have been turning up in their droves, digging deep into their pockets, and doing anything they can to fund raise to save HMFC.

I remember when we were threatened with liquidation before Romanov came along, and the sheer hatred they showed towards Hearts, and the utter desire they showed for us to go bust, there were actually very few Hibbies around then who actually wanted us to stay afloat, and I couldn't quite get my head around this, more so because I'd stood with them at their pishy wee rally to lend a supporting hand, and yet the feeling when the roles were reversed was so poisonous that it was incredible! I tried to make sense of it, and I still can't, I can actually understand more why they want us dead nowadays because they feel we've financially cheated our way to two Scottish Cup wins, and robbed them of their elusive holy grail since Romanov took over (even though it's a crock of shite, at least it's half a reason), but trying to get my head around it before Romanov came in was extremely difficult because it was Hibs who tried to buy success in the late 80s and early 90s before it went pear shaped, and it was Hibs who bought their way out of the old First Division in 1999 when they racked up huge debts to come straight back up (they'd probably be dead had they not come straight back up), and then got very lucky with some decent talent to sell to the Old Firm to keep them going, and yet they beat the drum about financial mismanagement to anyone who will give them the time of day.

If the roles are ever reversed and Hibs find themselves in serious financial difficulty again, then I know where they can shove my support this time as I'll simply point and laugh, I'm 100% convinced that if that day were to happen, then Hibs fans would never be able to come together like Hearts fans have and save their tinpot clubs existence, it just wouldn't happen, they're currently embroiled in some of the most important matches in their history by trying to keep their club in the top flight, and yet less than 10,000 of them could be bothered to turn up for what should have been close to a sell out!

A pathetic club with pathetic fans, and yet I would still hate to see them go bust because we have too much fun with them, I think the fact that we practically own them on every footballing stage is pure karma for the way everyone associated with that horrible little club behaves in relation to anything to do with Hearts whenever anything threatens to go wrong, long may they survive, but as usual, as our bitches!

Excellent post :thumbsup:

Son Of Anarchy

There is NO anti-Hearts bias at The Scotsman. That is a fact, whether you believe it or not.

Pish! Have you ever read it or just claim to have written/worked for it? Explain why the majority of us wont read it. Are we all wrong and you right? Nah dont think so. Racist anti Hearts toilet paper not worth wiping the poo from this Hearts fans bottom. (Kept as polite as possible as i respect my elders)

The problem that newspapers have these days is that they are essentially reporting yesterday's news. Ok, I accept that this has always been the case, but when I think back 20 years ago when I was a lad at school, all the football chat in the playground was based around the content of newspapers. Press conferences etc weren't reported until the next day and there was no other media available.

Fast forward to present day and with the onslaught of 24 hr news, socail media etc we are instantly informed of happenings (not just in sport) all around the world.

How do newspapers compete in this space?

The answer has been, unfortunately, sensationalism. Trying to convincve potential readers that they have tidbits the reader doesn't know. Sadly the Scotsman have gone down this route. Don't have the link but an article a few weeks ago was headlined 'Hearts on the Brink', subheading spoke of impending liquidation. However, having read the meat of the article it was merely a rehash of the previous days news where Bryan Jackson was expressing his frustration at the length of time the admin process was taking. Nothing new, nothing insightful, just sensationalist, inferred mischief making derived from a few quotes.

Hearts fans reading this are left feeling anger towards the publisher as their already heightened emotions are being toyed with to generate a few clicks or a few sales.

That is why I stopped reading their publications and moved to other outlets that report facts, I suspect a good number have made the same choice.

This. You can't catch the internet, so offer interesting analysis instead. Not made-up bollocks.

Add in anti-Hearts stories finding it particularly easy to get past the editor(s) and you can kind of understand what's happening here. Fed up with reading rubbish, often fabricated clickbait, essentially....

Mind you, the revelation that a few years ago it is alleged that they simply made up an imaginary person so they could write anti-Hearts stuff in the letters section as well (because the sports and news pages clearly weren't enough) kind of adds to the completely understandable weight of suspicion. [info on another thread, forget the imaginary guy's name, maybe Geoff can assist here!]

I feel for the handful of decent journalists still remaining tbf. They must truly despair.

An old friend of mines who's father(sadly not with us any longer) was a photographer for the Scotsman/Evening News(he took most of the sports ones that appeared in the pink news etc) the whole family were dyed in the wool jambos and I can guarantee you Anorman that he would be very disappointed in the sloppy journalism that is evident whenever there is anything printed about his beloved team and if you've worked there all these years you will know the man and how big a jambo he was.

Fair enough saying it might be not so biased. But can I get any feedback that Hibs might get favoured coverage because of the 'respectful' approach of press etc to Sir Tom Farmer a man responsible for much good esp charity work but who I sense does not appreciate being criticised. Powerful and influential man.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

I don't think there's an anti-hearts bias. There was an anti-romanov bias though and journos were afraid of being seen to support in any way as they'd be lambasted by their peers. Romanov calling them monkeys didn't help and as someone else said they had no real ins at the club anymore.

The sports editor of the scotland in sunday is a jambo. Pattulo is a dundee fan. Bathgate is a jambo as far as i know. All are former fanzine editors from the 80s/90s. Mike aitken who has left is a jambo i think. The sports desk in terms of the subs etc is a healthy mix like any workplace in edinburgh. Who the editor supports means nothing.

The problem they have is their regular columists have always been hibbees, eg smith and gibson. They could try to redress that imbalance.

On fitba journalism as a whole, Cosgrove said journos huddle to agree stories and help each other out with quotes etc.

Also todays younger reporters do their reporting from their desks using the web. They do trawl fans sites looking for rumours. Source: experienced journo talking on jim traynor's old Paper Talk programme.

Factor in the threat of the web and the need for clickbait to sell ads and theres been a massive decline in quality over the last 10 years. However the guardian shows how it can be done.

I find the Scotsman better than the herald now though for football. The herald lot seem lost without the annual OF hatefest.

scott herbertson

I don't think there's an anti-hearts bias. There was an anti-romanov bias though and journos were afraid of being seen to support in any way as they'd be lambasted by their peers. Romanov calling them monkeys didn't help and as someone else said they had no real ins at the club anymore.

The sports editor of the scotland in sunday is a jambo. Pattulo is a dundee fan. Bathgate is a jambo as far as i know. All are former fanzine editors from the 80s/90s. Mike aitken who has left is a jambo i think. The sports desk in terms of the subs etc is a healthy mix like any workplace in edinburgh. Who the editor supports means nothing.

The problem they have is their regular columists have always been hibbees, eg smith and gibson. They could try to redress that imbalance.

On fitba journalism as a whole, Cosgrove said journos huddle to agree stories and help each other out with quotes etc.

Also todays younger reporters do their reporting from their desks using the web. They do trawl fans sites looking for rumours. Source: experienced journo talking on jim traynor's old Paper Talk programme.

Factor in the threat of the web and the need for clickbait to sell ads and theres been a massive decline in quality over the last 10 years. However the guardian shows how it can be done.

I find the Scotsman better than the herald now though for football. The herald lot seem lost without the annual OF hatefest.

Indeed, the problem being that these regular journals give a tone to the whole publication and it's not surprising peopel feel there isa 'bias'.

of the greatest Jambos of all was John Fairgrieve a journalist (for the Sunday Mail/ Record) not afraid to criticise the team he loved

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19870421&id=UhA1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=sKULAAAAIBAJ&pg=4724,4704121

Chief Wiggum

hearts fans believe the scotsman has an anti hmfc agenda and is pro hibs, but hibs fans also believe it has an anti hfc agenda, and is pro hearts. Does this not make you wonder if maybe it's just reporting?

Is it possible, that bad news sometimes is bad news and not just spin?

(The above does not include the point r.e. misleading headlines, used to increase hits/sales, as these are common traits in all papers.)

Bang on. It's just reporting news and we've been more newsworthy for a long time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getintaethem

I don't know if there is an anti-Hearts agenda or not, I just don't read it 'cause it's shit.

Gregory House M.D.

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

Having recently retired after working 30 years on The Scotsman, Evening News and, occasionally, the SOS, I have to speak out in support of my friends and former colleagues who still work there.

Let me make things crystal-clear. There is not, nor has there ever been, any anti-Hearts bias on these newspapers. There are as many Jambos on the staff as there are Hibbies and followers of other clubs. In fact, some of the best-known writers whom so many of you accuse of inventing anti-Hearts stories are as fanatical Jambos as any who regularly spout their vile, ignorant and defamatory drivel on this website.

These are the facts, whether you like them or not, or whether they clash with your own prejudices. I have been a Hearts supporter for more than 50 years and a journalist for 40 years, so I think I know as much about what constitutes good football reporting as any of you. Remember, these journalists are covered by the laws of libel and contempt that you all seem happy to ignore. So please, give them a break and give us all a rest from your anti-Scotsman guff.

We haven't said anything libellous so please feel free to calm down with your thinly vieled threats.

1. The Scotsman has published two stories recently about this situation that have been pure and utter trash.

2. Most people realise that the majority of the"journalists" are just horrendous at their job, rather than "biased" against one club or the other.

The Scotsman is a newspaper that standards are terrible. It's Evening News is utter garbage and it's the only paper that would allow a throbber like Aidan Smith the stage to write opinion piece after opinion piece on Hibernian and players we've hardly heard of.

Also, I remember a less than balanced article coming from one of yoyr best journalists branding the Heart of Midlothian support as "Brain dead zombies" and other such remarks.

One of your other (now ex) "journalists" later published what can only be described as a hatchet job on Ian Black, admittedly in a seperate rag. So to claim that every journalist is balanced while your ex-company has employed filth like Hugh Keevins is clearly shite.

Obviously, I don't know which journalist you are so won't brand you as "shite at your job" akin to Tom English' penchant for universal smearing of people based on their chosen club/job.

Maybe you should think things through before making scathing attacks and threats on the website and it's posters in future.

Gregory House M.D.

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

Having recently retired after working 30 years on The Scotsman, Evening News and, occasionally, the SOS, I have to speak out in support of my friends and former colleagues who still work there.

Let me make things crystal-clear. There is not, nor has there ever been, any anti-Hearts bias on these newspapers. There are as many Jambos on the staff as there are Hibbies and followers of other clubs. In fact, some of the best-known writers whom so many of you accuse of inventing anti-Hearts stories are as fanatical Jambos as any who regularly spout their vile, ignorant and defamatory drivel on this website.

These are the facts, whether you like them or not, or whether they clash with your own prejudices. I have been a Hearts supporter for more than 50 years and a journalist for 40 years, so I think I know as much about what constitutes good football reporting as any of you. Remember, these journalists are covered by the laws of libel and contempt that you all seem happy to ignore. So please, give them a break and give us all a rest from your anti-Scotsman guff.

We haven't said anything libellous so please feel free to calm down with your thinly vieled threats.

1. The Scotsman has published two stories recently about this situation that have been pure and utter trash.

2. Most people realise that the majority of the"journalists" are just horrendous at their job, rather than "biased" against one club or the other.

The Scotsman is a newspaper that standards are terrible. It's Evening News is utter garbage and it's the only paper that would allow a throbber like Aidan Smith the stage to write opinion piece after opinion piece on Hibernian and players we've hardly heard of.

Also, I remember a less than balanced article coming from one of yoyr best journalists branding the Heart of Midlothian support as "Brain dead zombies" and other such remarks.

One of your other (now ex) "journalists" later published what can only be described as a hatchet job on Ian Black, admittedly in a seperate rag. So to claim that every journalist is balanced while your ex-company has employed filth like Hugh Keevins is clearly shite.

Obviously, I don't know which journalist you are so won't brand you as "shite at your job" akin to Tom English' penchant for universal smearing of people based on their chosen club/job.

Maybe you should think things through before making scathing attacks and threats on the website and it's posters in future.

They assume that sensationalism will sell their paper (wrongly) and we've been meat and veg for them for years now.The one thing that puzzles me is that even though sales are plummeting they continue down the same path that's lost them thousands of readers.It can only end in tears,it's inevitable.

Unknown user

Threats? Did I miss something?

They assume that sensationalism will sell their paper (wrongly) and we've been meat and veg for them for years now.The one thing that puzzles me is that even though sales are plummeting they continue down the same path that's lost them thousands of readers.It can only end in tears,it's inevitable.

Agreed, if JP stay on this path it's just a matter of time, their share price is in the gutter and the majority of their titles are failing.

Son Of Anarchy

Cant come soon enough for me. They can all get work writing for hibs matchday programme.. Same content anyway.

FarmerTweedy

There is NO decent journalism at The Scotsman. That is a fact, whether you believe it or not.

FTFY!

There are many problems with the JP "Edinburgh" papers not least their chase for readers from greater glasgow at the expense of their "native" audience but their ineptitude extends way beyond the reporting of stories re HMFC [modedit - please keep referendum-related posts to the thread in the Shed]

I had a disagreement with my Dad in hospital today as he thinks we are Duty bound to buy an Edinburgh paper and I somewhat forcefully disagreed

Guest Bilel Mohsni

There are many problems with the JP "Edinburgh" papers not least their chase for readers from greater glasgow at the expense of their "native" audience but their ineptitude extends way beyond the reporting of stories re HMFC [modedit - please keep referendum-related posts to the thread in the Shed]

I had a disagreement with my Dad in hospital today as he thinks we are Duty bound to buy an Edinburgh paper and I somewhat forcefully disagreed

Your opinions accurately reflect mine on this matter.

Son Of Anarchy

And its sad that we dont buy/support our local paper. In an ideal scenario yes but in jp agenda driven Edinburgh? Nah.

Hobo fanzine hence i have never bought the rag for years get more up to date news on here anyway

I think your "location" gives you away.

Too much wacky baccy!!!

Problem officer?

::troll:::'>

Alva-Jambo

No wonder even Tom Engflish left! Dreadful quality of reporting in "The Scotsman". No wonder its circulation has plummeted to around 35K a day. In terminal decline. ( THe G Herald no better )

Alva-Jambo

FTFY!

My last point on this paper: it is nearly always a full day behind with general news. No excuse in these days of instant communication.

manaliveits105

once you have been photographed with the cardinal and Saville you lose credibility

upgotheheads

Dear fellow jkb-ers,

Great post.

Some of the drivel on here slagging the sports reporting on The E.N and the Scotsman is embarrassing. There are plenty of reasons to criticise both papers but their sports coverage is not one of them. I bought the Scotsman for more than 20 years when writers like David Stephen (not sure if I've spelled that correctly) Neil Ascherson and Ian bell etc. were regular contributors and its political coverage was balanced, it was a great newspaper then. I stopped when the Barclay twins bought it, twerps like Andrew Neil became the editor and it became a right-wing rag.

Anorman, I am convinced that the Barclays became involved at the behest of Milk Snatcher because she wanted to silence the devolution debate in Scotland. Am I on to something?

gorgie rd eh11

Great post.

Some of the drivel on here slagging the sports reporting on The E.N and the Scotsman is embarrassing. There are plenty of reasons to criticise both papers but their sports coverage is not one of them. I bought the Scotsman for more than 20 years when writers like David Stephen (not sure if I've spelled that correctly) Neil Ascherson and Ian bell etc. were regular contributors and its political coverage was balanced, it was a great newspaper then. I stopped when the Barclay twins bought it, twerps like Andrew Neil became the editor and it became a right-wing rag.

Anorman, I am convinced that the Barclays became involved at the behest of Milk Snatcher because she wanted to silence the devolution debate in Scotland. Am I on to something?

What an embarrassing post.

I don't think its Anti-Hearts I just think its a gash paper. Has been shocking for years!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Great post.

You probably bought the last buggy whip too.

Robert McNeil - wasn't he another one?

Some people on here trying to make out journalism is a noble profession?

Summats wrong with my iPhone... It seems have the wrong thread title on this thread about newspapers?

scott_jambo

Are half of johnstone press logging onto kickback in an attempt to force people into enjoying their paper? :laugh:

If it helps my folks dont gie a f about football and they think the een is poor.

Yesterday:

Hibs: A 2 page spread on new chief exec and how to awake a "sleeping giant" (EEN words)

Hearts = Nade, I was never fat.

:rofl:

Francis Albert

I suspect when there is any news it might crop up on the big "Cooling off period ends thread" - the fact that the last few pages have been a debate about the merits of Scotsman Publications suggests there is at present no news.

Phil D. Corners

I suspect when there is any news it might crop up on the big "Cooling off period ends thread" - the fact that the last few pages have been a debate about the merits of Scotsman Publications suggests there is at present no news.

I was thinking that threat had gone to far off topic so set this up.

Ally Alexander

barclays bought the Scotsman titles in the late 90s as far as I can remember. As you state Andrew McNeil became editor-in-chief, bringing into the likes of Alan Cochrane (now with the Telegraph), fraser Nelson (now editor of the spectator), Michael Gove (now Secretary of State for Education) to complement the musuings of Gerald Warner and Alan Massie (who at least could present an intelligent argument) and losing the likes of Ian Bell, Joyce MacMillian remaining as about the only voice of the Left.

Clerry Jambo

Your spot on mate, good thread to start

Boab Mugabe

Today is a national holiday in Lithuania isn't it? I can't see any progress happening until next week at the earliest.

hughesie27

Are half of johnstone press logging onto kickback in an attempt to force people into enjoying their paper? :laugh:

If it helps my folks dont gie a f about football and they think the een is poor.

Yesterday:

Hibs: A 2 page spread on new chief exec and how to awake a "sleeping giant" (EEN words)

Hearts = Nade, I was never fat.

:rofl:

:lol:

Francis Albert

It is helpful if this thread stays on the first page, even at the expense of discussing what might be considered side issues. It means you know where to go to find out if there is any news. If it is debating the Scotsman you can safely assume there isn't.

Goodfella

Pish! Have you ever read it or just claim to have written/worked for it? Explain why the majority of us wont read it. Are we all wrong and you right? Nah dont think so. Racist anti Hearts toilet paper not worth wiping the poo from this Hearts fans bottom. (Kept as polite as possible as i respect my elders)

"Majority of us" - being about 20 or 25 posters here on Kickback. Aye that's the majority of Hearts fans right enough.

Geoff Kilpatrick

"Majority of us" - being about 20 or 25 posters here on Kickback. Aye that's the majority of Hearts fans right enough.

Which department do you work in?

PROPER hertz fans. There's only about 30 of us out there.

gorgie rd eh11

Do you think the majority of Hearts fans read the scotsman? :biggrin:

Archived