Ann Budge - HMFC Takeover Complete

upgotheheads

upgotheheads

barclays bought the Scotsman titles in the late 90s as far as I can remember. As you state Andrew McNeil became editor-in-chief, bringing into the likes of Alan Cochrane (now with the Telegraph), fraser Nelson (now editor of the spectator), Michael Gove (now Secretary of State for Education) to complement the musuings of Gerald Warner and Alan Massie (who at least could present an intelligent argument) and losing the likes of Ian Bell, Joyce MacMillian remaining as about the only voice of the Left.

Quite right, I just googled and I think they may have bought it about 1995. Still a right wing conspiracy though :shout:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8k+ & rising Hearts fans mobilised and potentially a relatively powerful movement. It's no surprise that there will now be a denial from The Scotsman and possibly a charm offensive next. Afterall, we could strategically purchase rival publications.

Walter Bishop

Are half of johnstone press logging onto kickback in an attempt to force people into enjoying their paper? :laugh:

If it helps my folks dont gie a f about football and they think the een is poor.

Yesterday:

Hibs: A 2 page spread on new chief exec and how to awake a "sleeping giant" (EEN words)

Hearts = Nade, I was never fat.

:rofl:

Sleeping giant :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quite right, I just googled and I think they may have bought it about 1995. Still a right wing conspiracy though :shout:

Can't say The Scotsman has ever appeared to me to be a right wing newspaper.

Skivingatwork

Is James Collins the sleeping giant?

He certainly looked half asleep when that chance came to him late on last Sunday.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Yes and of course the decline in readership is all to do with that and nothing to do with the internet killing their business model. Now I see it!

:cornette:

upgotheheads

Can't say The Scotsman has ever appeared to me to be a right wing newspaper.

Compared to the Mail they're a bunch of Commies I suppose, but it depends on where you're looking from.

Son Of Anarchy

"Majority of us" - being about 20 or 25 posters here on Kickback. Aye that's the majority of Hearts fans right enough.

Unfortunately i didnt have time to take a poll before posting but in my opinion going by those i know,work with,go to games with etc virtually all of them would neither buy nor read it. Thats how i posted my thoughts so whats your opinion based on?

maroonlegions

Same again in the Edinburgh Evening Hobo , big two spread page on Hibs with a rather "Kickback" type headline that reads "SQUEAKY BUM TIME". but dinnae worry cause they will get at least four points at hame likesay.. and a back page bit on Hamil and how time is running oot for a new deal for him, oh and a bit on the possibility of us signing Boyd.

Unknown user

Unfortunately i didnt have time to take a poll before posting but in my opinion going by those i know,work with,go to games with etc virtually all of them would neither buy nor read it. Thats how i posted my thoughts so whats your opinion based on?

I get what you're saying, but all that really means is that a majority of your mates agree with you.

As someone else pointed out, the club has 70k names on their supporter database, I doubt you have enough mates to speak for a majority, nice enough guy though you seem

Currahee!

Why haven't we heard anymore good news? :sob:

No news is good news.

loveofthegame

Lawyers (who are likely to be on bank hol today) will be working away in the background. SPAs often take a lot of work.

Walter Bishop

End of this week I'm told. Possibly Thursday.

Hope so

Have heard similar. Also there will be announcements on next seasons playing/non playing staff as soon as this season is over.

TheMaganator

Jackson told me last night he hoped it'd be Friday. That's what they'd be working towards.

At that stage BDO will back off & the glorious Dr Ann Budge will step in.

scottish_chicP

Yep as far as I'm aware they're hoping Thurs or Fri.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

That's three shouts for Friday... That'll be my new nailed on factual date now too. :thumbsup:

J Cheever Loophole

Jackson told me last night he hoped it'd be Friday. That's what they'd be working towards.

At that stage BDO will back off & the glorious Dr Ann Budge will step in.

I bumped into him pished, me not him, at Haymarket yesterday and he told me with a wry smile that's it's not 100% yet. I thank him for his efforts regardless, before returning to bouncing off shop windaes on the way to the match.

I heard Wednesday but I know nowt really.

A half time on pitch announcement would be nice.

In between the birthday announcements and the half time draw.

I bumped into him pished, me not him, at Haymarket yesterday and he told me with a wry smile that's it's not 100% yet. I thank him for his efforts regardless, before returning to bouncing off shop windaes on the way to the match.

:)

You were pished before the match?

:lol:

Jambof3tornado

coz the hobos cant handle any more!!

1874robbo

A half time on pitch announcement would be nice.

In between the birthday announcements and the half time draw.

That it would be mate.

Holiday in Lithuania today.

Tomorrow hopefully

Don't think Lithuania are involved anymore.

TheMaganator

:)

I think he was a bit pished when I spoke to him. He then took a photo of me and Ian Muray MP. Fairly bizarre encounter. Seemed like a nice bloke though - as did Murray.

scott herbertson

was Ian Murray pished too?

(I'm beginning to think this encounter may not have happened at all :dunce: )

Wee Jamboree

Can't wait to see Ann Budge do keepie uppies on the half way line, scarf above the head....

Either that or BDO/FOH are proper Hertz men who like a bevy.

davieholt

Can't wait to see Ann Budge do keepie uppies on the half way line, scarf above the head....

" .... let's be avin ya!" :lol:

londonjambo

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." Henry VI (Part 2) - Shakespeare had the right idea.

Nice. I hope it stays fair for you

GC

He was in Strattys after the game.

J Cheever Loophole

You were pished before the match?

It's a kind of hobby of mine, that and getting on wrong trains!! :rolleyes5:

Jambof3tornado

It's a kind of hobby of mine, that and getting on wrong trains!! :rolleyes5:

I think hobby 1 causes hobby 2!!

WorldChampions1902

Nice. I hope it stays fair for you

GC

I think it was Dickens who said that without bad people, "there would be no good lawyers". A life lesson for me is that you should never upset a 'no good lawyer'. ;-)

TheMaganator

It happened - it was the Player of the Year dinner. Don't think Murray was pished. He was presenting an award and answering questions so probably stayed off the booze.

scott herbertson

It happened - it was the Player of the Year dinner. Don't think Murray was pished. He was presenting an award and answering questions so probably stayed off the booze.

should have asked him to drive you to the game then

J Cheever Loophole

I think hobby 1 causes hobby 2!!

It may also be the cause of hobby number 3.

Tams bird

I thought ( heard) papers were getting signed Friday .

"No news is god news"?

Strangely, a reporter from the Easter Road Gazette (EEN) once said to me "Good news is no news, as far as we are concerned"

Don't think Lithuania are involved anymore.

Oh yes they are, 2 sets hence the delay.

Oh yes they are, 2 sets hence the delay.

What else do they have to do?

As far as I can see, it's down to BDO/FOH to write up the papers, and all the Liths have to do is sign them.

As far as I can see, it's down to BDO/FOH to write up the papers, and all the Liths have to do is sign them.

Unfortunately they are involved in the paperwork too.

My guess/assumption is that the Lithuanians want to make sure that there is a clean cut. Remember as part of this deal we are taking over the 'football debt' and I guess they want to make sure all debts are included. Anything from deferred wages, companies owed, charities, even utility bills needs to be checked.

Geoff Kilpatrick

They have security over an asset to release.

They also have to specify where the funds are paid to.

There is also the matter of the further payment in 12 months and the caveats surrounding that.

Archived