Official Ashes 2013/14 Thread

Matthew Le Tissier

Feck it! Boxing Day will still be fun - mid 20's, beer and cricket!

True.

My one and only experience of test cricket was day 2 at Old Trafford this summer in amongst, pretty much exclusively, England fans. Most were alright but there were one or two arseholes among them who couldn't handle the day-long beering session who I could quite happily have done without being seated near.

As DTD says - England have convinced themselves they're something...and they're really not.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love cricket type post.

Australia are pish.

England 5-0 :jj:

I hate cricket type post.

Meh.

Cricket is pish anyway. :stuart:

:rofl:

Anybody watching the total destruction of the English cricket team?

Jimmy Anderson battered for 28 in the final over before the Aussies declared :rofl:

England needing 504 for an impossible win :)

Kenny ******* Powers

Anybody watching the total destruction of the English cricket team?

Jimmy Anderson battered for 28 in the final over before the Aussies declared :rofl:

England needing 504 for an impossible win :)

Never bothered getting up to watch today. Glad I didn't. England have been awful on this tour.

They'll do well to take this into day 5.

The Mighty Thor

KP tempted into going for a biggie and he's gone.

That's the batsmen pretty much gone. Get Bell shortly and it's all over

I'll be making the most of the next few hours, as I suspect it'll be the last time England are in possession of that beautiful little urn for many years. We were always going to be in transition regardless of the outcome of this series; now, something like a cricketing nuclear winter might await.

Goodbye, KP. Farewell, Prior. Goodnight, Swanny. And Flower will probably go too - along with, if there's any sense, Graham Gooch, our disaster of a batting coach.

I can't decide who I blame more for this fiasco of a tour: the players or the management team? But given the only reason we beat the worst Australian side anyone could ever recall was Ian Bell, that they failed to act in the aftermath of that shows our selectors up as a bunch of unadulterated numpties. In particular, their disgraceful, absurd treatment of Nick Compton. Many of England's woes with the bat go back to that IMO: in India, Compton provided real support to Cook, and took the pressure off him. In Australia, neither Carberry nor Root have been able to do the same - so the captain's ended up exposed, and the whole batting line-up is just plain flimsy.

Massive credit to Australia, though. The speed with which they've turned it round has been magnificent - and I just don't buy this "poor Australian side" stuff any longer. They're tough, they're grizzled, they've played hardened Test match cricket, and they've ground us into the dirt. Allan Border's 1989 side would be proud of this team. All that's left is for them to complete the whitewash which both they and England deserve.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'll be making the most of the next few hours, as I suspect it'll be the last time England are in possession of that beautiful little urn for many years. We were always going to be in transition regardless of the outcome of this series; now, something like a cricketing nuclear winter might await.

Goodbye, KP. Farewell, Prior. Goodnight, Swanny. And Flower will probably go too - along with, if there's any sense, Graham Gooch, our disaster of a batting coach.

I can't decide who I blame more for this fiasco of a tour: the players or the management team? But given the only reason we beat the worst Australian side anyone could ever recall was Ian Bell, that they failed to act in the aftermath of that shows our selectors up as a bunch of unadulterated numpties. In particular, their disgraceful, absurd treatment of Nick Compton. Many of England's woes with the bat go back to that IMO: in India, Compton provided real support to Cook, and took the pressure off him. In Australia, neither Carberry nor Root have been able to do the same - so the captain's ended up exposed, and the whole batting line-up is just plain flimsy.

Massive credit to Australia, though. The speed with which they've turned it round has been magnificent - and I just don't buy this "poor Australian side" stuff any longer. They're tough, they're grizzled, they've played hardened Test match cricket, and they've ground us into the dirt. Allan Border's 1989 side would be proud of this team. All that's left is for them to complete the whitewash which both they and England deserve.

I agree with you about Compton's treatment, which was to allow golden boy Root to open, but criticising Carberry is harsh. He has an excellent technique and has out-batted his skipper.

Root is batting too high even though he can stand up to the quicks. Bell has been wasted at 5 since Trott went home.

Team for Boxing Day: Cook, Carberry, Bell, Ballance, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Prior (since Bairstow isn't to be trusted with the gloves), Bresnan, Anderson, Panesar

KP can GTF. Prior can GTF after the series

I agree with you about Compton's treatment, which was to allow golden boy Root to open, but criticising Carberry is harsh. He has an excellent technique and has out-batted his skipper.

Root is batting too high even though he can stand up to the quicks. Bell has been wasted at 5 since Trott went home.

Team for Boxing Day: Cook, Carberry, Bell, Ballance, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Prior (since Bairstow isn't to be trusted with the gloves), Bresnan, Anderson, Panesar

KP can GTF. Prior can GTF after the series

Oh, I like Carberry. I just like Compton far more. And I just cannot fathom how they can drop Compton because they don't think he's good enough (but that's BS: I think it's because he's cocky and a bit different, and only geniuses like KP are allowed to be like that where the selectors are concerned), but put Carberry in the side instead. He's close to being a journeyman IMO: who gives his all, has an excellent temperament, but is never, ever going to make the kind of impact on a series Down Under which English openers need to make.

Also - how can they leave Compton out, bring Bairstow instead, then show they don't trust Bairstow anyway? Can't fathom that either - especially as dropping Prior's pretty much an open and shut case now.

It's quite interesting to have a look at page one of this thread.

Especially if you're called Boris :toilet:

After hubris comes nemisis.

Leading to catharsis.

Not sure I agree with this snicko technology, Bell out but looked for all the world that he had a fresh air swipe.

Edit: Fair enough according to Beefy.

Not sure I agree with this snicko technology, Bell out but looked for all the world that he had a fresh air swipe.

Edit: Fair enough according to Beefy.

He did - but he was really, really unlucky, and it just caught the back of his bat instead. I was watching Hotspot bemused that nothing was showing up, but Beefy explained why. Snicko's really, really reliable too.

He did - but he was really, really unlucky, and it just caught the back of his bat instead. I was watching Hotspot bemused that nothing was showing up, but Beefy explained why. Snicko's really, really reliable too.

Yes, just read that the natural heat in the bat can mask a very thin edge whereas Snicko will pick it up. Problems can arise with Snicko with spinners though when the keeper moves in close and can make noises that confuse it. Suppose nothing's perfect but it seems pretty close.

How about all this nonsense of having an 80 page dossier on what to eat (or some such guff)? Just get back to basics. Pick decent players, play to the strengths and move people on when they are not performing. Some of the selection picks for the tour were downright weird.

Back to this game....Will Broad bat? Hope so, because then Johnson can hit him on the other foot. Would love to see Broad crawling off on all fours. Would be the best laugh since Michael Owen did it in World Cup / Euro Finals /whatever.

ToadKiller Dog

I said back in the summer that in time Lehman would turn the Australians into a decent unit , didn't expect such a drubbing .

The big name England players need a good look at themselves shocking performances from all of them .

FACT. Mitchell Johnson has a picture of Ryan McGowan on his bedroom wall.

FACT. Stuart Broad has been in regular contact with his mentor and inspiration James McPake throughout the series.

The Mighty Thor

"I haven't seen anything to remotely make me feel as though I need to change my initial prediction of a double 5-0,"

:wtf:

"I haven't seen anything to remotely make me feel as though I need to change my initial prediction of a double 5-0,"

:cornette:

:strewth:

:smugger:

The 3-0 summer scoreline completely flattered England. They deserved to win that series but they were by no means as dominant as the score suggested.

This meant that England travelled over-confidently and the Aussies were hurting, embarrassed and downright angry. It doesn't take much for the pendulum to swing the other way and the slight drop in England's mental approach - and maybe the start of the decline for a couple of their star players - together with the supreme focus and mental preparation of the Aussies has led us to where we are now.

The most dispiriting thing about this series is that this is no vintage Aussie team and I expect this series has surprised many down under as much as it has us.

Where now for England?

I could be wrong but the Windies and Aussie's dominace was built on having a great set of players, keeping the same core of 9 or 10 each season and then as 1 player retired, a new player came in. Even guys not quite on form kept playing to retain team stability. Similar to Liverpool's dominace of European football for nearly ten years and 20 in England - before money took over.

Relatively speaking England have had a small window of dominance but are virtually back to square one again with more wholesale changes being talked about.

This link hasn't been updated since May, but they could end up 4th or 5th again realtively soon.

http://www.icc-eliteofficials.com/match_zone/test_ranking.php?year=2013

Where now for England?

I could be wrong but the Windies and Aussie's dominace was built on having a great set of players, keeping the same core of 9 or 10 each season and then as 1 player retired, a new player came in. Even guys not quite on form kept playing to retain team stability. Similar to Liverpool's dominace of European football for nearly ten years and 20 in England - before money took over.

Relatively speaking England have had a small window of dominance but are virtually back to square one again with more wholesale changes being talked about.

This link hasn't been updated since May, but they could end up 4th or 5th again realtively soon.

http://www.icc-elite...g.php?year=2013

Kind of like where Australia were after the 2007(?) series where they regained the Ashes. Lots of big names retired after and Australia weren't quite the same.

WIndies up and coming at Test level again, India there or thereabouts.

I reckon Flower will quit as head coach and then it will be interesting to see who follows that. There are good cricketers in England, they just need to pick the right ones!

The 3-0 summer scoreline completely flattered England. They deserved to win that series but they were by no means as dominant as the score suggested.

This meant that England travelled over-confidently and the Aussies were hurting, embarrassed and downright angry. It doesn't take much for the pendulum to swing the other way and the slight drop in England's mental approach - and maybe the start of the decline for a couple of their star players - together with the supreme focus and mental preparation of the Aussies has led us to where we are now.

The most dispiriting thing about this series is that this is no vintage Aussie team and I expect this series has surprised many down under as much as it has us.

Aussie bowling attack have shown they are now perhaps the best in the world? Siddle and Watson to bowl dry, Lyon excellent, Johnson to knock over the tail and the best of the lot Ryan Harris who would share the new ball with Dale Steyn in my world XI.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Aussie bowling attack have shown they are now perhaps the best in the world? Siddle and Watson to bowl dry, Lyon excellent, Johnson to knock over the tail and the best of the lot Ryan Harris who would share the new ball with Dale Steyn in my world XI.

They are decent but England have got themselves out in this series with stupid shots. Johnson scared the shite out of the tail in the first two but he was ordinary on the WACA.

They are decent but England have got themselves out in this series with stupid shots. Johnson scared the shite out of the tail in the first two but he was ordinary on the WACA.

Yes, England batting has been pitiful. Is there a chart available with where the wicket taking balls were heading? Other than Broad's toe crusher and the ball of the century which got Cook would many of the others hit the stumps.

Harris is just a class act.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Yes, England batting has been pitiful. Is there a chart available with where the wicket taking balls were heading? Other than Broad's toe crusher and the ball of the century which got Cook would many of the others hit the stumps.

Harris is just a class act.

Yep, Harris was the pick of the bowlers in England too.

Graeme Swann has retired with immediate effect.

Sad way for him to bow out given those comments on Twitter the other day.

A great bowler. Best English spinner of my lifetime by a country mile.

Boycott was very kind to Swann. Top class sport, your mind needs to be 100% in the correct place.

How very modern man of him.

I thought Geoffrey was old school. Man up and all that.

ToadKiller Dog

South Africa's bowling attack is better than any other test sides , as is their batting .

Aussie Bowlers are ok but helped by poor English batting not a single English batsman near his best game .

South Africa in with a shout of creating a new record run chase against a good Indian team

Archived