Official Ashes 2013/14 Thread

Matthew Le Tissier

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not going to make it, although it doesn't seem like they really went for it in the end and settled for the draw.

Piers Morgan facing Brett Lee in the MCG nets will almost certainly be the highlight of the series.

90-odd mph from Lee (although that was a few yrs ago).

stirlingshirejambo

Just getting on the train to the city now. Boxing Day Ashes is the business!

very jealous Geoff

my brother there too

hope the rain stays away for the best test match in the calendar

I'm calling this now. I think England will make 300 or thereabouts, this will be regarded as hugely disappointing and further evidence of Aussie superiority - but that the Aussies won't get much past that, and we'll end up winning a thriller with Australia failing to chase down a target of 200-250 in the second innings.

Geoff Kilpatrick

No excuses for England here. A bit breezy but the pitch is doing nothing. Stupid decision by Clarke.

No excuses for England here. A bit breezy but the pitch is doing nothing. Stupid decision by Clarke.

Typical Aussie captaincy decision when in a dormy position v England. The only exception was 2006/7: other than that, they like giving us a chance in these situations.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Good bowling by the Aussies, especially Harris. Poor shots by Cook, Carberry and Stokes to get out. My KP seethe is postponed as he batted well today. Hopefully he goes on to 3 figures tomorrow. Meanwhile, it was niceto be part of a world record crowd!

Was having a look at the Kallis statistics - he's going to retire.

In Test matches the 4th highest number of runs (13k plus at 55!); in the top 30 bowlers (292 at under 33!) and 2nd top in catches (199!).

Incredible statistics.

Kenny ******* Powers

Was having a look at the Kallis statistics - he's going to retire.

In Test matches the 4th highest number of runs (13k plus at 55!); in the top 30 bowlers (292 at under 33!) and 2nd top in catches (199!).

Incredible statistics.

Unbelievable record and will be a huge miss for South Africa.

One of the best all rounders of all time.

**** me. This is brutal.

Broad and Anderson have to get swinging here and get this up to 260 or 270 if they possibly can...

Kenny ******* Powers

Broad and Anderson have to get swinging here and get this up to 260 or 270 if they possibly can...

Can't see it happening mate.

Johnson is lethal against the tail. Broad can bat but Anderson and Monty won't last long.

That's it. 255 all out. Not great, kind of summed up the series when Monty left that straight one :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

Depressing. :( SKY commentators rightly putting the spotlight on Graham Gooch now. Cricket's answer to Nick Faldo, I have no idea what he's doing as the batting coach of this team.

However, if we can keep Australia to 325 or less, we'll stay in this game. Anything more than that, and 5-0 will be homing into view with alarming speed.

:rofl:

Brett Lee just did to Piers Morgan what the entire population of the UK has wanted to do to him for years and years and years.

We're all honorary Australians now. Brett, you are welcome the length and breadth of Old Blighty any time me old mate. :thumbsup:

Kenny ******* Powers

England making Haddin look like Lara again.

How many times have Australia been on the ropes and England have let them off?

The difference between the teams this series is if england were in this situation Johnson would come in and clean up the tail. England can't do that.

Anderson drops an easy catch to dismiss Johnson.

Australia 164/9 at stumps. England will really have to go some to lose this match from here.

It's Melbourne. We (almost) always play well in Melbourne; Australia (almost) always take their eye off the ball after winning a long series early too.

Kenny ******* Powers

I fecking hate Brad Haddin. Tosser.

Agreed but why stop at Haddin.

Warner, Watson, Clarke, Johnson, Siddle and Lyon are all total w******.

Even that no mark Bailey p***** me off.

What a shambles England are

stupid run out now Ian Bell. That shot was a disgrace

The run out was far more of a disgrace IMO. Anyone can mistime a shot when they're just in - but the run out happened because we'd got bogged down. Which overall, was far more Carberry's - the man who seems to escape all criticism, for some strange reason - fault than anyone else's.

And yet despite all this, England are still favourites to win the game, and will remain so if we set Australia in excess of 250. This is why Test cricket is so flawed: we'd only win because we batted first. Australia have been the better side - again - and if Clarke had made the right call, they'd have run away with it again too.

Close, dramatic finish in prospect now though.

stirlingshirejambo

The run out was far more of a disgrace IMO. Anyone can mistime a shot when they're just in - but the run out happened because we'd got bogged down. Which overall, was far more Carberry's - the man who seems to escape all criticism, for some strange reason - fault than anyone else's.

And yet despite all this, England are still favourites to win the game, and will remain so if we set Australia in excess of 250. This is why Test cricket is so flawed: we'd only win because we batted first. Australia have been the better side - again - and if Clarke had made the right call, they'd have run away with it again too.

Close, dramatic finish in prospect now though.

don't enrirely agree thought Bell's shot was pathetic and irresponsible. New to crease is no excuse.

Why say that Australia have played better this test when England bowled superbly yesterday?

don't enrirely agree thought Bell's shot was pathetic and irresponsible. New to crease is no excuse.

Why say that Australia have played better this test when England bowled superbly yesterday?

Because I don't think we did. During England's first innings, the commentators moaned at how slow the progress was and how we were being embarrassed again; then Australia did the same thing in their first innings. It's funny how often that happens. The pitch might look as though it's doing nothing, yet both sides have played it attritionally, which suggests something different.

But having been inserted, England had the chance to nail the game down then and there. We didn't. That it's still close despite us batting first says to me that Australia have been better overall: when they've batted first, they've continually raced away with it.

Kenny ******* Powers

5 wickets for Lyon. Just when you think it couldn't get anymore embarrassing you give Nathan Lyon 5 wickets.

This is like watching England bat in the 1990's

Archived