Official Ashes 2013/14 Thread

Matthew Le Tissier

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
loveofthegame

Set the alarm for 6.30 pre-work to get up and watch England bat for the final hour. Couldn't believe what I was seeing when I switched the box on!

Cairneyhill Jambo

England lost 6 wickets for 9 runs in their first innings of the Ashes.

It's the worst collapse seen since Ashley Young last entered a penalty box.

Guess The Crowd

Even though people may think the pitch a beauty, you're always in with a shout with 300 in first innings. Though the scale of it is horrendous, England's collapse doesn't entirely surprise me. Thought the Sky TV guys too confident and cocky last night.

Even though people may think the pitch a beauty, you're always in with a shout with 300 in first innings. Though the scale of it is horrendous, England's collapse doesn't entirely surprise me. Thought the Sky TV guys too confident and cocky last night.

Correct of course. Test cricket is a thing of absolute beauty - but the one flaw I've always noted is how many sides who win the toss win the match.

Not all the time, of course - but if you bat first and score 300 or more, you're immediately in a decent position. And if the side batting last has 250 to get (or frequently much less than that), you've got a great chance then too.

England didn't just blow it through this humiliating, desperate collapse. They also blew it by allowing Australia to recover from 132/6 to an almost respectable 295. Complacency, bad attitudes, over-confidence - and now the psychological edge built up over the last three series has been chucked away within a couple of hours against opponents who, going into this match, had lost seven of their last nine Tests, and won none of them.

In short: it's a disgrace. :down:

Guess The Crowd

Correct of course. Test cricket is a thing of absolute beauty - but the one flaw I've always noted is how many sides who win the toss win the match.

Not all the time, of course - but if you bat first and score 300 or more, you're immediately in a decent position. And if the side batting last has 250 to get (or frequently much less than that), you've got a great chance then too.

England didn't just blow it through this humiliating, desperate collapse. They also blew it by allowing Australia to recover from 132/6 to an almost respectable 295. Complacency, bad attitudes, over-confidence - and now the psychological edge built up over the last three series has been chucked away within a couple of hours against opponents who, going into this match, had lost seven of their last nine Tests, and won none of them.

In short: it's a disgrace. :down:

Agree completely. The winning / losing of the toss plays a huge part, too big in fact; an obvious example being the series in the summer (in which 3-0 flattered England considerably).

I know all teams do it but wasnt around 5 overs lost today through deliberate slow play?

How do you properly police? The small fines handed out dint seem to make any difference.

I know all teams do it but wasnt around 5 overs lost today through deliberate slow play?

How do you properly police? The small fines handed out dint seem to make any difference.

Is there a set time for an over to be bowled? :unsure:

Maybe adding runs/taking away wickets as punishment for extreme cases. No idea tbh.

Unless the Aussies crumble, I expect a slow over rate today. They won't need that big a lead though as England's batting has been pish recently, ie during the summer against the same opposition.

It's raining....shan that you're praying for rain.

And they're going off.

Back on shortly I would expect..

Glad I wasn't being overly confident at the start, I'd be left looking a right idiot...as opposed to a left idiot...

Also glad that I didn't write off Scotland as they've now beat Papua New Guinea and Holland (a good result btw) in the World Twenty20 qualifiers..5th is the minimum for a play-off place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ricket/25051543

Edited

Swann has a wicket...

bowled Clarke 113

Warner was punted for 124

299-5

Lead: 458

No idea when/who got the other 2 wickets.

Aussies should declare soon...2 days to win.

New Ball and they're smashing it...no pressure.

BBC TMS ?@bbctms3m

250th Test wicket for Swann in his 58th Test. 3rd quickest for England behind only Botham and Trueman.

Lead: 483

Aussies can't lose.

Geoff Kilpatrick

New Ball and they're smashing it...no pressure.

BBC TMS ?@bbctms3m

250th Test wicket for Swann in his 58th Test. 3rd quickest for England behind only Botham and Trueman.

Lead: 483

Aussies can't lose.

Anderson has looked very ordinary here.

Only 561 to win...

Piece of piss. :teehee:

I'd be surprised if England get within 300 of that tbh. :(

Geoff Kilpatrick

Sigh.

No cricket in the ears at work tomorrow. :(

Thankfully, there are major amounts of English who will cop the shite!

Kenny ******* Powers

Fell asleep at 142-4. Just woke up and it's 154-8. Absolutely woeful.

England making this average Australian side look like world beaters. Nathan Lyon and Mitchell Jonson? **** me. They're awful.

Raining again now. Just need another day and a half of this and England can escape with a draw.

How much payback was there in that Aussie performance? They just ground us into the dirt.

England look callow, weak, and were bullied for most of the match. This isn't a quality Australian side - but it's got so much mongrel and toughness, and years of playing second fiddle to us motivating them.

Back in the summer, English fans were actually complaining about how bad Australia looked! Seems like a different planet now - and I don't think we've got the character (or, for that matter, characters) in this team to turn this around. The Aussies look far, far hungrier; a long, hard winter seems to await. :(

Archived