Official Ashes 2013/14 Thread

Matthew Le Tissier

Cook is a shite captain.

I don't believe he is fully responsible for this disaster as it is clear that the preparation has been terrible from top to bottom and, if he is to step down, then the entire coaching staff need to follow.

He does need to learn, and fast, though - but deserves the summer series to redeem himself both as a captain and a batsman.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:jjyay:

Bah! :-(

England have been indescribably poor and I doubt anyone saw that coming.

That said, In nearly every test, England have had the Aussies on the ropes only for the middle order & tail, (well, Brad Haddin) to bat through.

The English batting...awful.

As an aside...Michael Carberry. Second highest run maker with 281. KP got the most with 294. Yet Carberry may well get the bullet.

Bah! :-(

England have been indescribably poor and I doubt anyone saw that coming.

That said, In nearly every test, England have had the Aussies on the ropes only for the middle order & tail, (well, Brad Haddin) to bat through.

The English batting...awful.

As an aside...Michael Carberry. Second highest run maker with 281. KP got the most with 294. Yet Carberry may well get the bullet.

I guess very few would have expected all of Cook, Bell, Prior and Pietersen to fail miserably and for Trott to suffer from his own issues. All proven class performers with huge Test records. But there were signs last summer when other than the magnificent Bell the batsmen were awful for the most part. At times they were batting against Watson and Lyon as if they were McGrath and Warne. Johnson was excellent in the one dayers and Harris fantastic last summer. And both Bairstow and Root in my opinion won't make it as Test batsmen as their techniques are loose.

But still astonishing how useless the batting has been. Where on earth the selectors go from here is a big question.

I guess very few would have expected all of Cook, Bell, Prior and Pietersen to fail miserably and for Trott to suffer from his own issues. All proven class performers with huge Test records. But there were signs last summer when other than the magnificent Bell the batsmen were awful for the most part. At times they were batting against Watson and Lyon as if they were McGrath and Warne. Johnson was excellent in the one dayers and Harris fantastic last summer. And both Bairstow and Root in my opinion won't make it as Test batsmen as their techniques are loose.

But still astonishing how useless the batting has been. Where on earth the selectors go from here is a big question.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently when the debacle was unfolding that had it not been for Bell's consistency in the last Ashes series in England , England would not have won it. The batsmen have obviously been poor (unambitious , too cautious ?) but what of the bowlers ? Stuart Broad anyone ?

I'm sure I read somewhere recently when the debacle was unfolding that had it not been for Bell's consistency in the last Ashes series in England , England would not have won it. The batsmen have obviously been poor (unambitious , too cautious ?) but what of the bowlers ? Stuart Broad anyone ?

On his day, Broad is as good as anyone in the world. It's just that at times he bowls to short and is easy to smash around the ground. Line and length...look at Harris. He is metronomic in his bowling and the batsmen just can't seem to handle it.

Finn must wonder what he needs to do to get a game!

Alan Johnson

So Andy Flower describes this series as 'the end of an era', but also says that he 'can't be any clearer' about not resigning. Surely those are conflicting? Like, if it's the end of an era, i.e. his era, he has to go? No more tests until April so a bit of breathing space to sort things out, he'll be desperate for a series win against Sri Lanka or that must be his time up.

So Andy Flower describes this series as 'the end of an era', but also says that he 'can't be any clearer' about not resigning. Surely those are conflicting? Like, if it's the end of an era, i.e. his era, he has to go? No more tests until April so a bit of breathing space to sort things out, he'll be desperate for a series win against Sri Lanka or that must be his time up.

Listening to Flower being interviewed about his future (and boy is he very defensive) , it seems to me he knows he is going to get the chop. Sounds like there is going to be an investigation into what went wrong out there and he must know his position is untenable. Either the players did what he asked of them and clearly failed (I'm thinking especially about the timid / defensive approach of the batsmen) or he didn't get his message across. In any event , he will have to go IMO. The comments by Graham Swan seem to hint at issues with certain players. It'll be interesting to see what comes of that. Swan later insisted he wasn't talking about the England squad - in which case , who was he talking about.

Alan Johnson

Listening to Flower being interviewed about his future (and boy is he very defensive) , it seems to me he knows he is going to get the chop. Sounds like there is going to be an investigation into what went wrong out there and he must know his position is untenable. Either the players did what he asked of them and clearly failed (I'm thinking especially about the timid / defensive approach of the batsmen) or he didn't get his message across. In any event , he will have to go IMO. The comments by Graham Swan seem to hint at issues with certain players. It'll be interesting to see what comes of that. Swan later insisted he wasn't talking about the England squad - in which case , who was he talking about.

Yeah, I can't see how he can possibly stay. Surprised by his comments though, I expected him to walk before he was pushed. Who do they go for though? Think it was Michael Vaughan saying they should get Collingwood involved, they'll need someone experienced alongside him though surely.

I think there may be a shake up of coaching staff however I reckon there are a few players who will not be seen again.

KP, Prior, along with the retired Swann, for starters. That said, KP was top scorer, which isn't saying much I suppose.

Will be interesting to see if they go back to Compton and perhaps someone like Jos Butler coming in, but his keeping isn't Test standard, not yet at least. Taylor at Nottinghamshire must feel rather hard done by too.

ToadKiller Dog

I would drop KP yet until another game changer who can take the attack to the bowlers .

England need an inform KP for a couple of years yet .

I fear England will in fear revert to the negative conservatism which hampers their side to often as a safety measure .

• 4 weeks later...

Beginning of end for Cook was the whole Australian enterprise. But its downhill from here after that decision. New coach should replace him now after that decision though guess they already consulted the cosy choice Giles.

Predict Pieterson will be back though.

Rudolf's Mate

Whilst there looks like there's more to it, it does seem pretty awful that KP is effectively getting the blame for what happens with the ashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess The Crowd

World War 3 seems to have broken out on twitter on this KP stuff, with high-profile opinion split right down the middle.

I wouldn't have thought it possible for English cricket to become more of a laughing stock after the Ashes, but this it undoubtedly has achieved over the past 24 hours. Incredible.

stirlingshirejambo

World War 3 seems to have broken out on twitter on this KP stuff, with high-profile opinion split right down the middle.

I wouldn't have thought it possible for English cricket to become more of a laughing stock after the Ashes, but this it undoubtedly has achieved over the past 24 hours. Incredible.

Not sure why Piers Morgan feels the need to continuously stir it up.

Interesting quotes from Jonathon Agnew saying current players were critical off the record of KP's behaviour but as soon as asked to speak on the record they just said he was a great guy.

Stronger personality than tHe captain so for Cooke to regain control KP had to go is my guess.

• 1 month later...
ToadKiller Dog

Poor England from bad to worse 54 for 6 chasing part timers the Dutch total of 133 for 5

8 overs left

ToadKiller Dog

86 for 9 now .

I think the Dutch have been removed from playing English club sides this summer in the one day comp and not happy about it so a wee bit of up yours England

ToadKiller Dog

All out 88 , England's 20/20 loss record the same as Bangladesh the worst in world cricket for senior nations at 14

Far better to have an ethical dressing room than a world t20 winner (and highest England run scorer in history).

article-2192155-099C9632000005DC-583_468x310.jpg

Does anyone really give a shit about hit and giggle cricket?

Perhaps not, but England shouldn't be getting horsed off of the Dutch!

Harry Palmer

Does anyone really give a shit about hit and giggle cricket?

No.

And Boris, sure England lost to the Dutch in 2009 but went on to win the Ashes that year (think that was mentioned by Aggers, might have the year wrong).

This was just a fitting end to a winter of shite from England Cricket.

Archived