Official Ashes 2013/14 Thread

Matthew Le Tissier

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still cannot wait for Boxing Day which will be the start of the Great Escape.

Yep. After all, you were proven spot on when tipping Ireland to reach the 2011 Rugby World Cup Final, and France to win the 2010 FIFA World Cup. :thumb:

Oh.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Yep. After all, you were proven spot on when tipping Ireland to reach the 2011 Rugby World Cup Final, and France to win the 2010 FIFA World Cup. :thumb:

Oh.

:what:

When did I tip France? Lawssier fail!

:vrface:

You thought that was serious

:vrface:

You said it twice. And would certainly have claimed the benefit had it actually happened too. :P

Geoff Kilpatrick

You said it twice. And would certainly have claimed the benefit had it actually happened too. :P

Winding up the seethers about Henry's handball more like.

Jesus wept.

Even allowing for the wind-up inherent in that, FFS Beefy. :vrface:

At the time, this was mine:

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/129802-the-ashes/#entry3679508

I've had Beefy's comment booked, as I knew his arrogance would come back to bite him on the arse :lol:

It's far from over, but what a shocking start for England.

Great win for oz. I think england will fight back though.

They are a nasty bunch this current Aussie team!

I'll be backing the English this series to hopefully shut them up!

Just flicked on the highlights.

It's hard to tell at the Gabba, with the multi coloured seats, but, considering it's the 1st Test and the Aussies are well on top, not the biggest looking crowd especially for the weekend.

Any of our Aussie based correspondents know why?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Just flicked on the highlights.

It's hard to tell at the Gabba, with the multi coloured seats, but, considering it's the 1st Test and the Aussies are well on top, not the biggest looking crowd especially for the weekend.

Any of our Aussie based correspondents know why?

It is Queensland. A strange place.

The worst "sledge" I had in football was something along the lines of:

"Ah'm gonnae ******* stab you after the game ya ******* *****".

This was as he was walking off after he'd been red carded for chopping me in half already.

He didn't stab me.

Thankfully.

This was as he was walking off after he'd been red carded for chopping me in half already.

He didn't stab me.

Thankfully.

That's horrible. :(

I'm in two minds about all this. On the one hand, who knows what the England players have been saying out there in the middle in recent years, Anderson in particular? This ain't synchronised swimming, after all...

But on the other: for me, sledging is only sledging if it's funny, in the same way a really effective putdown is on here, as I know to my cost. :teehee: And in this case, well: it's just abuse isn't it? Really ugly, bare faced bullying. I've seen a few comments online in which people have been genuinely shocked - some even suggesting that if this is what cricket has come to, what's the point?

Of course, it's professional sport, which is all about winning. But winning like this? Ugh. England really ought to take it as a compliment though: if we've got under the Aussies' skin that much that they resort to this, it's almost a good sign. In a strange, strange sort of way though. :unsure:

I'm surprised at how easily the Aussies won this test and England really need to extract a few digits from their collective rectum to get back on track.

I think they will. For all Australia battered them just there, they are in no way streets ahead of England.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I say grow a set and bowl the barstewards out at Adelaide. That's the only response that matters.

I'm sure there are many examples of sledging as bad as that - Clarke made the mistake of doing it too close to a microphone.

I wonder if Trott's illness would have been kept a secret if he'd played well? Better he gets away and gets better.

Warner may be a dick, but I don't think he did anything wrong really. Just told it the way he saw it.

Trott has gone home with a stress related illness.

Good one Warner, you tosser!

I'd imagine that Trott had issues before Warner called it like it was. If Trott immediately curled up in a foetal position and started crying hysterically because Warner said something at a press conference, then it's time to give up the sport.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'd imagine that Trott had issues before Warner called it like it was. If Trott immediately curled up in a foetal position and started crying hysterically because Warner said something at a press conference, then it's time to give up the sport.

I hardly think that having stress is being a cry baby.

The point is that being a classless onanist will come back to bite you on the arse.

You need to read Marcus Trescothick book.

loveofthegame

He didn't stab me.

Thankfully.

Some scumbag threatened he was going to "bite my ******* nose off"....

Meet some pleasant chaps playing football...

Again, thankfully my nose was left intact after said game!

you get all sorts of nonsense playing football!

playing for a big boys club side, i was often targeted in school games for a fair bit of chat, nips at corners etc, telling me they were going to make sure i couldnt walk by the end of the game.

managed to shrug it off until 5 mins from the end of one game where i played the ball away only for two seconds later to have a boy two foot me and end up with a metal stud through the leg, plastic surgery required! cowardly stuff.

made it better after 5 months out that my first game back at club level was against team including the coward and i scored with my first touch off the bench!

unfortunately it goes on in all sports, i like to give as much chat as i get and i get a fair bit, but id stop short of purposely hurting someone

Of course, we neither know for sure that Trott is suffering from depression, nor that cricket has a bigger problem in terms of mental illness than other sports.

I still found this very thought-provoking, though:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/25/cricket-depression-jonathan-trott-ashes

• 2 weeks later...

Australia win the toss and are batting.

Stokes at 6 for England.

And Panesar is in too.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Reckon I'm going to the MCG for one of the days play at the end of the month. Cant wait. :)

It is phenomenal. I may take the kids on Day 3 but I am already there on Boxing Day. :)

Chad Sexington

It is phenomenal. I may take the kids on Day 3 but I am already there on Boxing Day. :)

Boxing Day is the one to be at but I don't think I can swing it with the Mrs :)

Hopefully there is still a live and competitive test match happening when I do rock up.

Kenny ******* Powers

Was just leaving for work when Monty struck.

:glorious:

England have done well so far. Kept the run rate down and taken a few wickets.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Both teams will be reasonably pleased with that day on the Adelaide road. I stand by my draw prediction.

Selkirk_Jambo

Both teams will be reasonably pleased with that day on the Adelaide road. I stand by my draw prediction.

Draw seems likely but its already turning. Would not want to bat last on that pitch

Draw seems likely but its already turning. Would not want to bat last on that pitch

Hence the two spinners in the England side I reckon.

However the English attack isn't really the issue. It's how their batsmen face up.

• I reckon The Aussies will be the slightly happier of the two. They got away with a couple, especially at the end and have Clark and Haddin at the crease. England need an early wicket tomorrow morning to swing it back in their favour and then MJ will start throwing the bat around. Could be an entertaining day.

• I reckon The Aussies will be the slightly happier of the two. They got away with a couple, especially at the end and have Clark and Haddin at the crease. England need an early wicket tomorrow morning to swing it back in their favour and then MJ will start throwing the bat around. Could be an entertaining day.

If Australia get another 100 runs they'll get at least a draw. If Clarke and Haddin last past the first hour I'd make them favourites.

Archived