Watches

jack D and coke

Bungalow Bill

Yikes! I take it that's from Omega direct?

If you didn't get the box & papers when you inherited it an official service is the next best thing to maintain its value.

?1k is steep but for an heirloom piece definitely worth it.

Yeah that was from Omega. Was also quoted ?600 from another place. Would prefer Omega to do it though, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah that was from Omega. Was also quoted ?600 from another place. Would prefer Omega to do it though, for all the reasons you mentioned.

That sounds pretty steep - I think Rolex are about ?6-700 for an official service.

Love Hamiltons - nice watch IJ

My mate got married yesterday and this was his present from the new wife. ofjqDQn.png

Not to my liking. Just a bit too much in terms of the colours..(blue/gold). Kind of screams look at my watch IMO. Perhaps the same watch in a more subdued colour scheme. I'm not a fan of gold anything and I think this is why I'm not liking this.

I'm sure your friend is over the moon with it - but to me that is not the kind of dress watch you could wear mostly every day....or put it another way - over the top.

My mate got married yesterday and this was his present from the new wife. ofjqDQn.png

Nice cuff links.

A Rolex in exchange for getting married... Still not sure if that would swing it for me

Nice cuff links.

They're really not. The whole get-up from the branded cuff links to the monogrammed shirt is a vulgar mess.

I'd be delighted if my missus bought me a sub-date. But if it was bi-metal with a blue face/bezel, it would be going back. Looks like the boy likes his gold though - which isn't my taste - so each to their own.

My mate got married yesterday and this was his present from the new wife.

ofjqDQn.png

Awesome present and going with the rest of the bling we can see in the photo it undoubtedly suits him. I'd have been delighted with such a wedding gift from my wife.

As it turns out, I've only just managed to get my 'engagement' watch 5 years after proposing.

If you knew my mate you would understand the watch choice. Haha. Very eccentric and definitely has his own style. Not one for following the norm. Which I respect. I just don't have the balls for it. I tend to follow the norm. Personally I would get the black sub. Each to their own and all that.

As above, it does suit him. I couldn't get away with that though. :lol: It looked excellent with the gold bow tie and the brown tweed jacket. Brave man.

Edited by Sten Guns

If you knew my mate you would understand the watch choice. Haha. Very eccentric and definitely has his own style. Not one for following the norm. Which I respect. I just don't have the balls for it. I tend to follow the norm. Personally I would get the black sub. Each to their own and all that.

As above, it does suit him. I couldn't get away with that though. :lol: It looked excellent with the gold bow tie and the brown tweed jacket. Brave man.

:lol: If that's your hing, then why not. Would want the black myself but it would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing.

Fair enough :laugh: boy obviously likes the bling.

Notbrainwashed

So, I'm getting closer to my Speedmaster purchase.  Do I trawl around trying to find one with the old box for about 450 cheaper, or do I get the new one with the fancy box, et al?
Opinions, please.

So, I'm getting closer to my Speedmaster purchase.  Do I trawl around trying to find one with the old box for about 450 cheaper, or do I get the new one with the fancy box, et al?

Opinions, please.

Personally, the new one with bells and whistles and the 9300 model bracelet. You after the Sapphire or Hesalite dial? Have you considered using iconic watches? 24% off and 22% off RRP.

Hesalite

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-311-30-42-30-01-005.html

Sapphire

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-professional-hand-wound-mechanical-chronograph-311-30-42-30-01-006.html

Being the traditionalist type, probably hesalite.

You recommend iconic? What about servicing, etc?

I bought my Omega and the misses Tag Heuer from Iconic. My mate also got his Rolex there.

They've been brilliant on each occasion. Can't speak highly enough of them.

Servicing? I'll just send it to Omega when the time comes. Not sure if that needs done via an AD, but it shouldn't be a problem either way.

I see the Speedmaster is in store. Which means you have further room for haggle. I'd email them and try get a couple more percent off. Tell them ?2000 was your budget but you can justify going overboard if they can give you a tiny bit more. That's what I done with the Aquaracer. It was in stock so I got more off it. The Planet Ocean wasn't and took over 3 weeks to source. They wouldn't entertain any further discount.

Edited by Sten Guns

Sent an email bringing up the idea of a further discount...we shall see.

Hopefully they play ball. If not, their prices are fantastic anyway. At the very least you' should get free delivery.

:lol:

Someone having a different taste doesn't mean it's tasteless.

Different folks an' all that.

However - there should be a dot after the M. 

My dad has a two-tone Oyster that ill get one day (it was my grandads). At the moment I am not a huge fan, but tastes change. 

Your watch is way cooler.

You don't believe that anything can be tasteless then? Just stuff that you're not into?

Haha you posted a shot of your mates wedding watch and everyone's ripping his dress sense.

Everybody.... Sten wasnie asking for Gok Wan to make an appearance with the fashion police. He was just showing us his mates fancy ass watch.

Your watch is way cooler.

You don't believe that anything can be tasteless then? Just stuff that you're not into?

It's a fair question I suppose. I'm probably a tad defensive as its my mate. :lol:

Tasteless is probably Stephen Ireland's Range Rover. Things that are clearly a massive WTF.

Edited by Sten Guns

Haha you posted a shot of your mates wedding watch and everyone's ripping his dress sense.

Everybody.... Sten wasnie asking for Gok Wan to make an appearance with the fashion police. He was just showing us his mates fancy ass watch.

Haha. I should have just posted this pic he sent me.

v1GbB5U.jpg

Carl Weathers

It's a fair question I suppose. I'm probably a tad defensive as its my mate. :lol:

Tasteless is probably Stephen Ireland's Range Rover. Things that are clearly a massive WTF.

The watch and cufflink combo looks like something he would wear tbh.

You're right there.

That thing was an abomination.

Heading down to London next week and I'm intending to have a closer look at the two-tone blue bezel Tag you posted a couple of weeks ago.

Fine looking watch for the price.

Put my SeaMaster into Laings on Saturday for a new battery and reseal.....?85. Fortunately Santa is paying for it. Get it back on Thursday.

Notbrainwashed

Got the speedmaster folks and bloody love it. Another recommendation for iconic watches!

Got the speedmaster folks and bloody love it. Another recommendation for iconic watches!

Superb mate. Some saving.

Post a pic :)

Great stuff - what was there RRP and what did you get it for if you don't mind me asking? Speed master will be my next watch...not anytime soon though...need to save!

Nice watch.

You seen the new Seamaster 300?

Absolutely love it.

No mate - will check it out. I'm not really in the market for. New watch...but have always secretly coveted a SpeedMaster.....one day!

Notbrainwashed

1d1322634e1092eaaaebdabf4e7400a9.jpg

There you go. Ignore my girly wrists

Almost a grand off RRP. Tried to get a further discount, but no dice as these things are flying out of the door. Still, at around 900 quid cheaper, you can't complain.

^^ nice one. Lovely looking watch.

I'd love it.

That 300 is great too! What's the price Sten?

?3880. Literally just went on sale the other week there.

Iconic have it at 16%, so ?3260, expecting that to grow towards 25% eventually though!

Also looks good in blue on a titanium bracelet.

Iconic have it at 16%, so ?3260, expecting that to grow towards 25% eventually though!

Thanks - prefer the black to the blue but both lovely!

Looks tidy mate...a nod to the 60's/70's Seamasters in the style of the face. Will keep an eye out for it to see it in the flesh.

1d1322634e1092eaaaebdabf4e7400a9.jpg

There you go. Ignore my girly wrists

Almost a grand off RRP. Tried to get a further discount, but no dice as these things are flying out of the door. Still, at around 900 quid cheaper, you can't complain.

Looks braw mate. Top banana.

Christopher Ward are taking entries for their annual form limited edition watch.

I won't bore you with the types of watches that I have gone for but they're the C5 Slimline and C65 classic Trident

Here's my two entries:

C65 - Gunmetal grey with applied black second hands and stenciling.

c65finalnato_zpsf92dd4ba.jpg

c5 slimline - Rose gold and blue needle hands and markers.

c5Magnus_zpsb26ce822.jpg

p.s. somebody helped me with the photoshop

Congrats on getting through to the final with the C5 design, I really like it so cast my vote in its favour. I've been contemplating buying the slimline for a little while now, but definitely prefer the look of your design over the 'standard' design.

Edited by jvm32

I think IWC's Portofino watches have been mentioned a few time on here.  They've recently launched a mid size Portofino range (some would argue 37 mm is small rather than mid size).

Thought it might be of interest to admirers with slimmer wrists.

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portofino/IW4581/

IW458101_1.c91b129d612e4d97398030243ab8a

I've been contemplating one for a while now, but still not decided on it.

I have small wrists, but when I tried on the standard Portofino it felt quite small (maybe just beacuse I've been conditioned by bigger watches), I tried on the Portofino chronograph and I much preferred the fit of that, which is 42mm compared to 40mm of the standard, and is the one I am leaning towards (although I like the Portuguese as well, and I've recently been tempted by the GMT Master II also).