Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain_Peacock

Cheers! Feels pretty good on - not heavy at all.

On the strap front I can't help myself wondering how close a match a blue isofrane is to your watch dial.

Just another one to throw into the mix, from memory they offer straps in 20, 22 & 24 mm widths, not sure what the strap width is on the watch you posted.

Looks pretty good on the stainless steel bracelet anyway for me by the way.

Carl Weathers

Does anyone know anything about pocket watches. I have an oris that used to belong to my great granda . It's pretty beat up but still seems to work ok, I'd like to have a look inside but can't quite work out how to get the back off

Might be worth something. You should sign up to a watch forum and post pics. I'm sure you'll get good advice. I did that with my Grandad's Omega.

forum.watchseek.com seems to be the biggest.

Captain_Peacock

Best way to clean a steel bracelt?

Toothbrush and a bar of soap?!

Ultrasonic Cleaning Bath *Use it only to clean the bracelet, not the case containing auto movement*

Failing that soapy water, I'd be careful with the use of a brush. I wouldn't want to use anything with bristles hard enough to mark the finish. Rise well afterwards.

Edited by Captain_Peacock

Randle P McMurphy

I was left the watch pictured when my Dad passed on earlier this year, it's a 1970s Tissot Seastar. The style is not for me however as you will appreciate it has a sentimental appeal and I don't want to sell it.

My questions are:

Can the watch be customised to add a bezel?

The watch is fairly small and it looks ridiculous on my wrist, Is there a way to make the watch larger I.e can you build a frame around it? I know this is shit terminology but hopefully someone will understand.

If either or both of the above are possible, are there any recommendations of who can do it?

The watch also needs a good service, clean and probably the glass replaced.

I know this may be an expensive project however I have been considering buying a quality watch and this may be a decent start whilst also keeping a good memory of my Dad.

post-5956-14087221568703_thumb.jpg

TheMaganator

I was left the watch pictured when my Dad passed on earlier this year, it's a 1970s Tissot Seastar. The style is not for me however as you will appreciate it has a sentimental appeal and I don't want to sell it.

My questions are:

The watch is fairly small and it looks ridiculous on my wrist, Is there a way to make the watch larger I.e can you build a frame around it? I know this is shit terminology but hopefully someone will understand.

If either or both of the above are possible, are there any recommendations of who can do it?

I know this may be an expensive project however I have been considering buying a quality watch and this may be a decent start whilst also keeping a good memory of my Dad.

In it's current form it could not be customised to add a bezel. You would need to get a new case for it.

That can be done and can be done fairly easily if you know what you are doing. I don't by the way.

http://watchguy.co.uk/ this guy is brilliant at watch repairs and if you pop him an email he should be able to give you some pointers as to what case options are available. He'll certain be able to do your service and clean.

FWIW I wouldn't change the case or add the bezel. There is a limit to how much larger the case could be given the dial and movement size. You may get a few extra mm but not much more. The gain you get in size would not be worth the loss of the original 'feel' of the watch. Watches of that era were made much smaller than they are now.

Different folks for different strokes and all that but I would think long and hard about changing what you have. I like it.

Carl Weathers

My questions are:

Fantastic watch mate. Shame it's a bit small but I honestly wouldn't change it. Daft question but are you sure it's too small for your wrist? My Omega Geneve is only 34mm and I love it. A lot of the vintage dress watches tend to be on the small side. My newer Longines is 39mm, so a fair bit chunkier.

Randle P McMurphy

Unfortunately it really is too small for me, my wrist is 8.5 inches and the face of the watch is not much bigger than a 2 pence piece.

TheMaganator

Follow up, I have been looking at bund watch straps as an alternative, any thoughts?

This site http://www.attilacustomdesigns.com/watchstraps.html

is very expensive but I thought maybe the mini bund xl or the Classic Portuguese straps might work?

That would certainly solve the problem.

Just put 'bund watch strap' into eBay and you'll get loads of cheaper options that'll let you see of you like the style.

Nice watch. I was about to suggest the bund option myself but I see you already thought of it. It's certainly one of the best ways to bulk up a small watch. Another is to get a normal leather strap for it but quite a thick one. To maximise the effect, get a strap that's 2mm too wide for the lugs and do a squeeze down. You just pinch the end of the strap down before fitting it.

On bunds... you get cheapo ones and you get some very expensive ones. There are some to be seen on ebay that are quite expensive and to be honest, some of them are really too big and bulky and are only best suited to chunkier military style watches. For the Tissot you have I would be looking to get a more compact bund.

There is one particular type on ebay at about ?25 that has the leather bund/cuff but instead of having leather straps, it has a nylon inner that runs through the cuff. The cuff isn't that much wider than the nylon and it might be ideal for the Tissot.

This one : 281418727992

Over in Vienna at the moment, never seen such a condensed area of watch dealers, incredible window browsing but everything seems to be slightly more expensive over here compared to back home.

Randle P McMurphy

Thanks Vic, that looks a good option. I have just ordered it.

Any recommendations on who/where to have it serviced?

Thanks Vic, that looks a good option. I have just ordered it.

Any recommendations on who/where to have it serviced?

Probably the best option locally and cost wise would be Tomian watch repairs. Based in Forth Street I think. Their costs are much less than one of the big stores like Laings, etc. There's also the bonus of them being local (assuming you are too) and not having to send the watch away.

The watch guy there probably missed school on the day they were teaching politeness / manners but I don't suppose that matters much if they do a good job for you.

Very nice Sten. Surely worth a few millions Brownie points.

I've recently done a bit more shuffling of the pack and have a Seiko SBDX001 'MM300' Prospex Marinemaster on the way in. It has what amounts to an undecorated Grand Seiko calibre. I'll have to do a bit more selling to square the circle in truth but I don't care.

Library pic.

mm3301.jpg

The Marinemaster seems pretty popular.

Is it just the movement that sets it apart from their more standard divers?

Pretty much yeah. They have a range of automatic movements. Ranging from what you find in the likes of the 'monster' range and similar in the 4r36 through to the likes of the Prospex Sumo, Samurai, Shogun models in the 6r15 through to the more expensive GS movement in the 8L35. And beyond that to the more exclusive Grand Seiko and Spring Drive movements.

The MM300 is a Prospex model and has pretty much the same spec as the likes of the Sumo for build quality. It's steel construct as well which I prefer to all Ti construct. The likes of the Shogun and Samurai are Ti. The MM300 does have a titanium ratcheting bracelet clasp though. Those are always cool.

I've recently done a bit more shuffling of the pack and have a Seiko SBDX001 'MM300' Prospex Marinemaster on the way in. It has what amounts to an undecorated Grand Seiko calibre. I'll have to do a bit more selling to square the circle in truth but I don't care.

Library pic.

mm3301.jpg

Really like that. Fancied one myself but haven't had time to try and source one.

Randle P McMurphy

Probably the best option locally and cost wise would be Tomian watch repairs. Based in Forth Street I think. Their costs are much less than one of the big stores like Laings, etc. There's also the bonus of them being local (assuming you are too) and not having to send the watch away.

The watch guy there probably missed school on the day they were teaching politeness / manners but I don't suppose that matters much if they do a good job for you.

Thanks again, I'll nip in this week.

TheMaganator

Pretty much yeah. They have a range of automatic movements. Ranging from what you find in the likes of the 'monster' range and similar in the 4r36 through to the likes of the Prospex Sumo, Samurai, Shogun models in the 6r15 through to the more expensive GS movement in the 8L35. And beyond that to the more exclusive Grand Seiko and Spring Drive movements.

The MM300 is a Prospex model and has pretty much the same spec as the likes of the Sumo for build quality. It's steel construct as well which I prefer to all Ti construct. The likes of the Shogun and Samurai are Ti. The MM300 does have a titanium ratcheting bracelet clasp though. Those are always cool.

It's lovely looking.

I've got a lot of time for the crown placement too

Jimmy McNulty

Was at Costco this weekend (!) -- Omega, Breitling, Longines for about $3k each. And a make I had never heard of for about $8k.

Liked the Omega though it seemed rather small (a Seamaster?), even too small for my puny wrist (have been looking for smaller versions for this reason).

Liked them all.

PS -- Sten, is that a TAG Aquaracer? Have men's version of that (love it).

It was a gift along with an engagement ring. Definitely in the good books right now

Proposed at 38,000 feet using the tannoy system thingy in front of the entire plane en route to Mexico.

She got the fright of her life when my voice came across the plane after saying I was just nipping to the loo. Scarlet face. :lol:

Was at Costco this weekend (!) -- Omega, Breitling, Longines for about $3k each. And a make I had never heard of for about $8k.

Liked the Omega though it seemed rather small (a Seamaster?), even too small for my puny wrist (have been looking for smaller versions for this reason).

Liked them all.

PS -- Sten, is that a TAG Aquaracer? Have men's version of that (love it).

Yeah it's an Aquaracer. A quartz one. Got it from Iconic for ?830 after a wee bit haggling. Giving them the repeat customer chat etc. The model is ?1250 in Beaverbrooks. Decent wee saving.

TheMaganator

It was a gift along with an engagement ring. Definitely in the good books right now

Proposed at 38,000 feet using the tannoy system thingy in front of the entire plane en route to Mexico.

She got the fright of her life when my voice came across the plane after saying I was just nipping to the loo. Scarlet face. :lol:

Congratulations on the engagement, Sten!

I got engaged in June. I'm still waiting on my 'engagement watch' :lol:

Take it you let the pilot's know before hand? Wasn't any hijacking or anything right?

Cheers guys.

I asked the air hostess who was in charge at the start of the flight and she said she would get permission from the captain. He said it was fine and mid flight the deed was done. :thumbsup:

Angry Haggis

Cheers guys.

I asked the air hostess who was in charge at the start of the flight and she said she would get permission from the captain. He said it was fine and mid flight the deed was done. :thumbsup:

Mile high?

You dawg.

Congrats.

front.jpgModel: SEIKO SNAD81P1

Quartz 7T62 Chronograph Alarm Movement.

A great looking Solid Sporty Seiko Chronograph,

• Designed/Sized for: Men
  • Hardlex Crystal Convex Glass
  • Accurate and Reliable Quartz Movement
  • Face Size: 40mm (43mm inc Crown.) Depth:10mm
  • Polished Stainless Steel Case With Dark Blue Tachymeter Bezel
  • Dark Blue Dial With Contrasting Sub Dials
  • Lumibrite Hands & Markers That Glow In The Dark
  • Full Chronograph, Stopwatch Sub dials
  • Date Window at Three O Clock
  • Solid Link Stainless Steel Bracelet With Fold Over Squeeze Release Clasp
  • To Fit Wrist up to 8.5inch in Comfort
  • Latest Japan Quartz Movement up to 3yr Battery Life. Easily Changed
  • 100M Water Resistant
  • Warranty - 2 Year

Anyone interested? It's been on my wrist once.I bought this a couple of years ago after about six months deliberating then decided that it wasn't really what I wanted. I'll let it go for ?140.

Edited by JohnB

Randle P McMurphy
front.jpgModel: SEIKO SNAD81P1

Quartz 7T62 Chronograph Alarm Movement.

A great looking Solid Sporty Seiko Chronograph,

• Designed/Sized for: Men
  • Hardlex Crystal Convex Glass
  • Accurate and Reliable Quartz Movement
  • Face Size: 40mm (43mm inc Crown.) Depth:10mm
  • Polished Stainless Steel Case With Dark Blue Tachymeter Bezel
  • Dark Blue Dial With Contrasting Sub Dials
  • Lumibrite Hands & Markers That Glow In The Dark
  • Full Chronograph, Stopwatch Sub dials
  • Date Window at Three O Clock
  • Solid Link Stainless Steel Bracelet With Fold Over Squeeze Release Clasp
  • To Fit Wrist up to 8.5inch in Comfort
  • Latest Japan Quartz Movement up to 3yr Battery Life. Easily Changed
  • 100M Water Resistant
  • Warranty - 2 Year

Anyone interested? It's been on my wrist once.I bought this a couple of years ago after about six months deliberating then decided that it wasn't really what I wanted. I'll let it go for ?140.

I'll take it mate

I'll take it mate

Thanks - that was quick.

I'm in Dunbar but I'll be in Edinburgh Thursday afternoon/evening or we can leave it till the Falkirk game on Saturday. Can meet you wherever you want - just let me know. BTW, I'd like cash. I'll have watch, box and papers (inc receipt).

Cheers, John

Edited by JohnB

Jimmy McNulty

Speaking to my neighbor who has the Rolex this morning. He picked up a Mont Blanc last week. I love MB pens but have never considered a watch. Looked classy as ****.

Montblanc is one of those makers that has virtually no standing amongst the serious collectors. Especially considering the price point. Pretty much on a par with Cartier or Gucci or Versace. It's a high fashion name that has no appeal. Some of the watches by these makers are no doubt quite good and fine but you can get so much better for the same or less money.

The MM arrived today. What a piece of work it is. Look

no further for a quality diver at the price point. With bells on.

The MM arrived today. What a piece of work it is. Look

no further for a quality diver at the price point. With bells on.

On the bargain diver front the Orient Mako is a great watch for the price.

On the bargain diver front the Orient Mako is a great watch for the price.

Definitely. Makos are a good 'Bang for the buck' and are quite cult. Orient have quite a few very good divers. I had a 'yellow beast' once, it was nice.

Well that's my Seiko diver arrived. And very nice it is as well with the Pepsi bezel. It's a great looking watch on the wrist and fits just right. I could probably get away with the full size but feel happier with the mid size. I have to say that to my taste it is a classic looking watch.

Edited by Tazio

I've always liked Baume et Mercier. Quite fancy a Classima. My brother, who collects, tried to give me one as a going away present when I was leaving for NYC but I said I couldn't accept it.

Daft bugger that I am. :oldsad:

[Love this thread, especially the pictures..]

I'm going to florida next june for two weeks and was wandering if anyone here has bought a watch at a decent price over there..

What are the duty free prices like for say, Hamilton, Seiko Kinetic, Citizen Eco-Drive etc.. Think UK price bracket of 400-700, what can I expect to pay over there?

Going by the last time I was over [2007] prices for the usual stuff like trainers, jeans etc were edging a lot closer to UK prices.

I've been on a few websites but can't seem to find prices and keep thinking of the old addage, "If you have to ask you can't afford it.."

Although, going by the pictures those Orient Makos look great value..