Watches

jack D and coke

Got a Accurist watch which cost me ?100 for everyday wear. Says it's water resistant to 100m. Took it in the pool and it now has water under the dial.

:seething:

I could get this replaced I take it?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a Accurist watch which cost me ?100 for everyday wear. Says it's water resistant to 100m. Took it in the pool and it now has water under the dial.

:seething:

I could get this replaced I take it?

Yup. Just take it back to where you bought it.

Water damage can be repaired, if not. May not be worth it economically though

For anyone going to the States and looking for the odd buy... there are many boutique / micro brand makes operating out of the States that aren't available retail in Europe.

Speaking of which... just added another sort of grail with a Zixen DSR500 Hydromatic. Blue dial. 'Super compressor' style double crown down the rhs flank. Asymetric UFO case. Size of an aircraft carrier. Great stuff.

On holiday just now and there is a guy in his 30's cutting about the beach and pool in a Rolex Sea-Dweller.

Prick. :lol:

I'd be too scared to wear it about here during the day.

After many months of deliberation (and reading this thread with interest) I get myself the Panerai Luminor Marina 8 day (Pam 563)

Also got the navy alligator straps on top of the black leather and rubber strap that comes with it. So 3 looks in the one watch. (Well that's how I am selling it to the Mrs)

Jimmy McNulty

Am loving this thread.

On an unrelated note, I have a pocket watch (very old) of my Grandad's that doesn't work at all.

Am thinking that I might want to get it rebuilt, keeping only the casing and the face.

It'll cost more than buying a new one I am sure, but it's worth it for sentimental value.

Captain_Peacock

On holiday just now and there is a guy in his 30's cutting about the beach and pool in a Rolex Sea-Dweller.

Prick. :lol:

I'd be too scared to wear it about here during the day.

I explained earlier in the thread that I admire Rolex as a brand but what I feel the downside of the brand is (target for crime, tendency for the item to be babyied, become a safe queen, expensive to repair / replace, perception of some to the brand).

I believe a watch should be used for it's intended purpose and when that's lost you may as well pack it in. Previously Rolex made affordable tool watches, the Sea Dweller is made for the sea if the brand has reached the point that the watch can't be used near water for me there is something sadly wrong.

I tend to buy robust watches, when it's on the wrist it doesn't come off unless it's being serviced or cleaned. I'm a fair weather diver (I only scuba dive on holiday). when I dive I always wear a dive watch. The idea of owning a dive watch wearing it constantly only taking it off when diving or in the sea seems ridiculous to me at least.

Am loving this thread.

On an unrelated note, I have a pocket watch (very old) of my Grandad's that doesn't work at all.

Am thinking that I might want to get it rebuilt, keeping only the casing and the face.

It'll cost more than buying a new one I am sure, but it's worth it for sentimental value.

Let this guy have a look at it

http://grangeclocks.com

Just picked up this for ?120 in McIntyres up the town

1408016141-2614.jpg

I have a Tag Heuer which my wife gave me as a wedding gift last year but wanted something a bit simpler to wear and it fits the bill. For ?120 I won't be shiting myself about having it ripped off my wrist when some melt drags me up to do a Dashing White Sergeant at the next wedding I'm invited to either.

Just picked up this for ?120 in McIntyres up the town

1408016141-2614.jpg

I have a Tag Heuer which my wife gave me as a wedding gift last year but wanted something a bit simpler to wear and it fits the bill. For ?120 I won't be shiting myself about having it ripped off my wrist when some melt drags me up to do a Dashing White Sergeant at the next wedding I'm invited to either.

What other watch brands did they have? I've seen pre-owned Omegas in there before

I've only one watch, so wear it pretty much everywhere, it's a decent watch though so happy to get use out of it. Got an Omega Seamaster with the orange bezel

Where is best in Edinburgh to get some watch bracelets that are of a good brand adjusted but not done by someone who is not professional. Had an issue before where Timpsons scored a bracelet by not having the correct pin removal tools.

Where is best in Edinburgh to get some watch bracelets that are of a good brand adjusted but not done by someone who is not professional. Had an issue before where Timpsons scored a bracelet by not having the correct pin removal tools.

What's the brand? If you go to a shop that stocks that brand they should be able to do it for you.

There's plenty on Princes St - depending on the brand you're talking about

What other watch brands did they have? I've seen pre-owned Omegas in there before

They've got loads, but obviously as they're pre-owned what they have varies depending on what they get in. They have Rolex's, Breitling, Longines etc. but some were well into 4 figures.

I've always liked Baume et Mercier. Quite fancy a Classima. My brother, who collects, tried to give me one as a going away present when I was leaving for NYC but I said I couldn't accept it.

Daft bugger that I am. :oldsad:

You great eedgit.

B+M are outstanding watches. They have great movements and look really classy. The gold oned are my favourites. The classima and the cliftons are both amazing looking, especially in red gold. They're also wide enough for my large wrists. They have nice sapphire case backs as well which I just can't see past. Call your bro and arrange for delivery of the watch tomorrow.

I require a replacement battery for my Omega Seamaster - emailed Laings service dept and they are quoting ?75, I assume they pressure test the seal after battery change.

Can anyone recommend another jeweller/watchmaker that could do this? Not even sure of ?75 is reasonable as its the first quote I have got - although I seem to recall a return to Omega for overhaul included Battery replacement was cicra ?300 ish.

Personally, you can't beat a simple Casio F-91W :2thumbsup:

365-2855-casio-classic-black-f-91w-1cr-.jpg

My first digital watch. Wasn't allowed a digital until I could tell time on an analogue properly..

Incidentally this is known as the "Taliban Watch".. highly favoured amongst them for their simplicity, cheapness and ability to turn into a timer for an IED very easily.. (apparently..) It's one of the signals that the authorities at Guantanamo Bay look for in a potential terrorist..

On a lighter note,.. I've started looking at pre-owned watches now,.. Th great thing about this thread is the knowledge thats been brought to it by various people has really opened my eyes to variety, style, price and get-ability of watches I thought were out of my reach.. I'd only ever daydream about a brietling, longines or oris before this thread.. Now with a bit of saving,.. One of them may be attainable..

I also like the lesser known makes being made known to me.. I'd never heard of Orient, tudor or hamilton before this thread.. It's great reading.. more pics required though people! :)

Was in Laings on Sunday for a wee nose.

Great fun. :lol:

I removed, then replaced, a link on my watch on Sunday also. Fair proud of myself. Haha. Was far easier than anticipated. A little fiddly without one of those holder things though. What are they called and where can you buy them?

I'm in looking for something mode again. I was watching a vintage Eterna-matic Kon Tiki on Ebay but didn't consider bidding as they normally go for decent money, then it went for ?136!! It was from a reputable dealer with 100% feedback and all seemed kosher with it, it was a lovely piece as well.

So it has made me make a decision to put a few quid away and keep my powder dry and by myself a nice christmas present to make up for the rubbish everyone else gets me every year.

Hopefully find something near the top of my want list. I'm willing to wait for the right watch though. I reckon I've got enough to keep me going until then.

I should never have read this. Most of the night on Google and I reckon I can get what I want before christmas with some careful financial planning.

Time to look into what traders online have good reputations.

Last week I got myself a nice Rolex Oyster perpetual and a second one for my eldest son. I got something similar for the wife as well.

?25 the lot (125 Ringgit) and they're all still working this week.

Can't say fairer than that.

I've always said I would buy a fake Rolex given the chance. Was watching a show once where some pawn shop guys were saying that the fakes are becoming more and more difficult to distinguish visually from the real thing. Not sure if that is true though.

I've always said I would buy a fake Rolex given the chance. Was watching a show once where some pawn shop guys were saying that the fakes are becoming more and more difficult to distinguish visually from the real thing. Not sure if that is true though.

Was in Shaghai recently and compared a fake Brietling Avenger with my real one. Very good fake. It had the bulk, and almost the weight of the real thing, and all the markings and brandings were correct. You could only really tell by looking closely at back of the watch casing and the tell-tale quartz movement. The asking price was about ?100.

fwiw - I bought a Breitling Navitimer fake in Canal Street, NYC a ferw year sback and never wore the thing. Just didn't feel right somehow.

It is true - but why would you want one?

I'm totally against fake watches.

You shouldn't buy a watch because you like the brand or you want a status symbol (a fake status) you should buy it because you love the workmanship, the detail, the movement and the sheer beauty of the thing.

The good fakes cost ?100+ these days. You can get a decent real watch for that.

Just IMO of course.

Edited by TheMaganator

It is true - but why would you want one?

I'm totally against fake watches.

You shouldn't buy a watch because you like the brand or you want a status symbol (a fake status) you should buy it because you love the workmanship, the detail, the movement and the sheer beauty of the thing.

The good fakes cost ?100+ these days. You can get a decent real watch for that.

Just IMO of course.

Spot on

I have added yet another Seiko Tuna to the collection. I used to obsess about having one... now I've got a shoal of em.

JDM Marinemaster 7c46 quartz this one. I now have circa ?4K invested in Seikos!!!

I can remember a boy in my year at school had one of those, during a PE class where we were watching a video teacher didn't have a clue wtf was going on

I can remember a boy in my year at school had one of those, during a PE class where we were watching a video teacher didn't have a clue wtf was going on

That's what I want one for. Remembering the fun. It's not worth that though.