Watches

jack D and coke

Two rules of thumb.

1. Always get the one you really want.

But...

2. Always take that extra bit of time to decide and add as much to the fund as you can to extend the possibilities.

By "half way" I think he means half way between a Casio and a Audemars. ?1800/?2000 is pretty much mid market lower end. An extra ?500 to ?1k brings in an awful lot. But it doesn't matter if you want it.

Buy in store if you can.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two rules of thumb.

1. Always get the one you really want.

But...

2. Always take that extra bit of time to decide and add as much to the fund as you can to extend the possibilities.

By "half way" I think he means half way between a Casio and a Audemars. ?1800/?2000 is pretty much mid market lower end. An extra ?500 to ?1k brings in an awful lot. But it doesn't matter if you want it.

Buy in store if you can.

He means it's a watch that you half want but can actually afford. You seem to be about the most clued up person on this thread so would you be willing to post some photos / links of watches for less than 3k that you think are excellent value and cool? I know it's a pain in the ass but if you can be arsed, it would be appreciated.

He means it's a watch that you half want but can actually afford. You seem to be about the most clued up person on this thread so would you be willing to post some photos / links of watches for less than 3k that you think are excellent value and cool? I know it's a pain in the ass but if you can be arsed, it would be appreciated.

By no means a pain at all but the market is huge. And it depends the type you like.

In order to highlight the options within a budget, I find it useful to do an ebay search for buy it now items between two prices. But add a bit on at the top end as many are listed as best offer. You will then see a list (but not exhaustive) of what's in your range. Then you can shop around for best price on your likes.

But never buy an expensive wstch if you aren't 100% on it or if you have a more desired option.

For me you'd be hard-pushed to beat the Speedmaster for that budget.

Classic - smart & casual.

http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/watch/311.30.42.30.01.005_omega_mens_watches_speedmaster_moonwatch_professional

Captain_Peacock

.For me, if you like a watch buy it. I don't buy watches for other people to enjoy.

Buy what you like and what makes you happy.

But never buy an expensive wstch if you aren't 100% on it or if you have a more desired option.

Two great pieces of advice, buy the watch you want not one others will admire.

Only commit to an expensive purchase when you're sure, take some time do plenty of research. If you compromise and buy 2nd best you can be pretty sure you'll end up buying 1st choice in the end or wishing you had.

For me you'd be hard-pushed to beat the Speedmaster for that budget.

Classic - smart & casual.

http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/watch/311.30.42.30.01.005_omega_mens_watches_speedmaster_moonwatch_professional

I prefer the Sapphire Sandwich, but yeah, some watch for the money.

I never used to like the Speedy but lately I've began to really appreciate it.

d9JLRy2.jpg

qQnPlNL.png

1GbtIQd.jpg

If money were no option what would be everyone's ideal watch? I'm assuming there is a sort of top end price bracket for watches? Before you end up paying for some ludicrous diamond encrusted omega if you know what I mean?

Christopher Ward are taking entries for their annual form limited edition watch.

I won't bore you with the types of watches that I have gone for but they're the C5 Slimline and C65 classic Trident

Here's my two entries:

C65 - Gunmetal grey with applied black second hands and stenciling.

c65finalnato_zpsf92dd4ba.jpg

c5 slimline - Rose gold and blue needle hands and markers.

c5Magnus_zpsb26ce822.jpg

p.s. somebody helped me with the photoshop

Last week's wheelin' an a dealin' was thus...

Out went a Seiko Prospex Marinemaster Tuna, Aramar Arctic Ocean, Zixen DSR Hydromatic and a couple of minor things. With the proceeds plus a coupon win, in swooped a Rolex Oyster Perp Air King 5500 c.1530 Super Precision. Circa 1980 per my serial number check. On a newer jubilee bracelet.

This is the sort of nonsense I get up to... on a fairly full time basis. Worth it, but.

No attempt to homage the Rolex. The TAG Heuer is very similar to some vintage Heuer / TAG Heuer Autavia models with GMT pepsi/coke bezels. The bezel markers and typeface are even the same.

It's a 'nod' to their own heritage.

Edited by Victorian

rambothejambo

Maganator,

Reading through this forum some really interesting views/tastes etc. Just recently heard about Christopher Ward watches and some of them look stunning (and at a reasonable price) You mentioned that you had 7 CW's and as I would prefer to buy pre-owned instead of new, if you were ever thinking of selling any of your current collection please drop me a pm. I know there are a few on e-bay etc but would much prefer to buy from a fellow Jambo, where loyalty and trust come as standard!!

No attempt to homage the Rolex. The TAG Heuer is very similar to some vintage Heuer / TAG Heuer Autavia models with GMT pepsi/coke bezels. The bezel markers and typeface are even the same.

It's a 'nod' to their own heritage.

No attempt? So the colours on the bezel were pure coincidence? :lol:

Let's be honest, it was used knowing full well how popular the BLNR is.

No attempt? So the colours on the bezel were pure coincidence? :lol:

But they're only colours. The colours are the only similar thing between them. There are lots of other GMT bezel watches that use multi-variation colourways.

It's not a homage in the way Steinhart and some others create lookalikes. It looks like an Autavia if anything.

Let's be honest, it was used knowing full well how popular the BLNR is.

I actually agree with 95% of your initial post.

Apart from the "no homage". There's a little one for me.

Come on man. "They're only colours", ask yourself why those two colours were used and where they got the idea from?

Maganator,

Reading through this forum some really interesting views/tastes etc. Just recently heard about Christopher Ward watches and some of them look stunning (and at a reasonable price) You mentioned that you had 7 CW's and as I would prefer to buy pre-owned instead of new, if you were ever thinking of selling any of your current collection please drop me a pm. I know there are a few on e-bay etc but would much prefer to buy from a fellow Jambo, where loyalty and trust come as standard!!

rambothejambo

I am not looking to sell any at the moment but will keep this in mind if I decide to - cheers.

I do have a code that will get you a 10% discount though - if that would help - and I just got a voucher through the post giving ?50 off if you spend over ?300 - which I will not be using (I think the deadline to use it is Christmas, but I don't have it in front of me). Let me know if you want either.

If you go to http://www.christopherwardforum.com/ and sign up there you will find a very friendly Christopher Ward community. They are all decent guys that just discuss watches. Once you have made 30 posts (I think) you can access the sales section. That is where the forum members sell to each other. You can get feedback on the seller and it is a much safer place to buy that eBay. The Members don't try to shaft each other and there are strict selling rules so you can get yourself a decent bargain.

Let me know if I can help or what models you are looking for. Also - keep a regular eye on their website as they do have sales of watches and they also sell 'nearly new' which is what they call the watches that are bought and returned within 60 days.

I actually agree with 95% of your initial post.

Apart from the "no homage". There's a little one for me.

Come on man. "They're only colours", ask yourself why those two colours were used and where they got the idea from?

Thing is though... there seems to be no reason to recreate a BLNR look while making no attempt to 'homage' the rest of the design. Why would they do it? If someone wanted a watch that resembles a BLNR then they will sorely disappointed with the TAG. It looks like an Autavia.

TAG Heuer are miles way and beyond the need to piggyback someone else's design. They have their own appeal and place in the market.

Thing is though... there seems to be no reason to recreate a BLNR look while making no attempt to 'homage' the rest of the design. Why would they do it? If someone wanted a watch that resembles a BLNR then they will sorely disappointed with the TAG. It looks like an Autavia.

TAG Heuer are miles way and beyond the need to piggyback someone else's design. They have their own appeal and place in the market.

Why would they do it? Because the bezel is it's striking feature? The main part that stands out?

You're not telling me the colours are coincidental?

I don't disagree that Tag Heuer have their own appeal and place. I don't disagree that the rest of the watch is different.

All I'm saying is they clearly took that day / night bezel from Rolex. :)

Why? It's an incredibly popular watch, so they done their own thing and took what separates the BLNR from the standard GMT Master II.

I don't particularly have a problem with it. Just sayings it's blindingly obvious where the influence has come from.

Why would they do it? Because the bezel is it's striking feature? The main part that stands out?

You're not telling me the colours are coincidental?

I don't disagree that Tag Heuer have their own appeal and place. I don't disagree that the rest of the watch is different.

All I'm saying is they clearly took that day / night bezel from Rolex. :)

Why? It's an incredibly popular watch, so they done their own thing and took what separates the BLNR from the standard GMT Master II.

I don't particularly have a problem with it. Just sayings it's blindingly obvious where the influence has come from.

What Autavia do you think it resembles?

I can think of a Pepsi dialed GMT but not the black/blue...

This one:

AutaviaGMT900_zps1dcb746f.jpg

rambothejambo

I am not looking to sell any at the moment but will keep this in mind if I decide to - cheers.

I do have a code that will get you a 10% discount though - if that would help - and I just got a voucher through the post giving ?50 off if you spend over ?300 - which I will not be using (I think the deadline to use it is Christmas, but I don't have it in front of me). Let me know if you want either.

If you go to http://www.christopherwardforum.com/ and sign up there you will find a very friendly Christopher Ward community. They are all decent guys that just discuss watches. Once you have made 30 posts (I think) you can access the sales section. That is where the forum members sell to each other. You can get feedback on the seller and it is a much safer place to buy that eBay. The Members don't try to shaft each other and there are strict selling rules so you can get yourself a decent bargain.

Let me know if I can help or what models you are looking for. Also - keep a regular eye on their website as they do have sales of watches and they also sell 'nearly new' which is what they call the watches that are bought and returned within 60 days.

There have just been a few watches added to the Nearly New sale. They'll go quick.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/sale/nearlynew-watches.html

An uncomfortable letter for Bremont though.

Very - deservedly so though!

It's a shame about them. There are a couple I would love to buy but the brand is a bit sullied for me now.

rambothejambo

rambothejambo

s

Maganator, many thanks, will join the cw forum and take it from there. Really like the look of the C11, great looking watch.

Sten. Fair doos re the colours. They may simply have decided to produce a piece to capitalise purely on the aesthetic appeal of the BLNR while being mindful not to copy anything else about it. A homage-lite?

Mag. There isn't an Autavia with that colour of bezel but all the other aspects of the piece are very similar. The watch is a very obvious Autavia homage. Strange that they recreated it wirhout a direct reissue though.

What an superb thread this is. It has really opened me up to the world of watches. Really interesting reading people's views on certain makes and models and finding out about the different workings and movements. Started looking at watches now as pieces of amazing craftsmanship rather than just items for telling the time. I get it!! Many thanks guys

The Tag looks like a cheap cash-in on how popular the blue/black GMT II has been. But then I don't really like Tags (other than Monacos/Monzas) so I would say that!

Notbrainwashed

I prefer the Sapphire Sandwich, but yeah, some watch for the money.

I never used to like the Speedy but lately I've began to really appreciate it.

d9JLRy2.jpg

qQnPlNL.png

1GbtIQd.jpg

God, they're so nice.

To answer the fella's question: *that* is my ideal watch. Has been for years.

beerandbovril

Hi all you JKBers in the watch know :)

I have some nice watches at the moment (stand outs are two Panerai and a few Omegas (1970s vintage, Seamaster, and a Constellation dress watch)), but I don't profess to have any real knowldege other than generally liking a movement, look, etc.

Anyway, I was gifted this little bad boy last week by my old man:

http://www.chrono24.com/en/temption/cm05-stahl-automatik-42mm--id1695274.htm

I like it, even tho it's not my usual style of watch. Does anyone here know much about the makers or this model? Would it accrue in value? Are they considered a 'niche' quality or are they pish? Just looking for a bit of a steer as never heard of them before.

Ta in advance :)

Seymour M Hersh

Like this Chanel watch. Saw it in H&I in George Street a couple of years ago(or one very similar to it). Iirc it was priced at circa ?12k. Don't know how to make the picture bigger I'm afraid.

"Black high-tech ceramic*. Black dial and numerals. High precision quartz movement. Functions: hours, minutes, seconds. Screw-down crown, water-resistance: 200 meters. Steel triple-folding buckle. Diameter: 33 mm. * Highly scratch resistant material."

post-1316-0-98139400-1415992353_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

So for those of you that are sporting a Christopher Ward, have you ever been to their showroom? I'm going on Monday and not quite sure what to expect.

Edited by IronJambo

So for those of you that are sporting a Christopher Ward, have you ever been to their showroom? I'm going on Monday and not quite sure what to expect.

Never been but I've heard it's great. You basically just get brought out the watches you want to see and get to have a chat about them.

Staff are all very friendly.

What model are you after?

Edited by TheMaganator

Never been but I've heard it's great. You basically just get brought out the watches you want to see and get to have a chat about them.

Mainly going to have a look at a C8 Pilot MKII Vintage (silver case, not black). I think I could be swayed by a C11 Vintage but I've a proper OCD about time and I think the absence of minute markers would bother me (I don't round up or down to quarter to or twenty to, I tell folk what the time actually is if they ask). It would also make things harder in my job if I forget to put a work watch on.

Notbrainwashed

Enquired about the Omega Speedmaster at a jewellers. They have brought out that presentation box the size of a briefcase as shown in above photos and the price has gone up about 400 quid. Unreal, gonna need to try and find one, pre-bells and whistles.

Bungalow Bill

Love the Omega Seamasters, got one 3 years ago and also inherited a 1970's model.

Would like a speedmaster at the next landmark birthday.

cf10c91f2ec80eebbe99a775e9b2ef73.jpg

e5650da5ba80bd87570757cfd344988c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no longer going to see them at CW. I've just bought this instead R0029403.jpg" alt="R0029403.jpg">

I'm no longer going to see them at CW. I've just bought this instead R0029403.jpg

Nice! Any inspiration taken from Interstellar? 

Massive Hamilton product placement in that film

Love the Omega Seamasters, got one 3 years ago and also inherited a 1970's model.

Would like a speedmaster at the next landmark birthday.

cf10c91f2ec80eebbe99a775e9b2ef73.jpg

This is known as the 'Jedi', I think. 

Pretty cool - I've had my eye on them on eBay for a while

Bungalow Bill

This is known as the 'Jedi', I think.

Pretty cool - I've had my eye on them on eBay for a while

It needs a full service, which was quoted at ?1000 which includes new parts etc.

Nice! Any inspiration taken from Interstellar?

Massive Hamilton product placement in that film

No, I haven't even seen it. It took me a while to suss out what type of watch I really wanted and I think Hamilton have managed to nail the style I was eventually drawn to. The same watch with a black dial looks a little too busy to me, but manages to look quite fresh in silver.

I might've went for a cheaper Khaki Field but the 80 hour power reserve on the caliber H-30 swung it for me. I could only source it with a silver dial online but I'm expecting delivery tomorrow.

No, I haven't even seen it. It took me a while to suss out what type of watch I really wanted and I think Hamilton have managed to nail the style I was eventually drawn to. The same watch with a black dial looks a little too busy to me, but manages to look quite fresh in silver.

I might've went for a cheaper Khaki Field but the 80 hour power reserve on the caliber H-30 swung it for me. I could only source it with a silver dial online but I'm expecting delivery tomorrow.

I really like some of the Hamiltons. This one is great!

Post some photos when you get it if you get moment. I'd love to see the caseback

It needs a full service, which was quoted at ?1000 which includes new parts etc.

Yikes! I take it that's from Omega direct?

If you didn't get the box & papers when you inherited it an official service is the next best thing to maintain its value.

?1k is steep but for an heirloom piece definitely worth it.

Be careful of getting an official service on an older watch. Manufacturers will swap out parts that they think need changed aesthetically such as hands when the whole point of an older watch is the originality of it, especially if an heirloom or sentimental piece.

I really like some of the Hamiltons. This one is great!

Post some photos when you get it if you get moment. I'd love to see the caseback

Clearly not my own shots

clients-visionofluxury-photo_sets-7569-IMG_12711.jpg" alt="clients-visionofluxury-photo_sets-7569-I">

R0029399.jpg" alt="R0029399.jpg">

Hamilton have a few models with huge power reserves. 80 hours is tremendous. It really appeals to those who have a few watches and wear them in rotation and who like the idea of an automatic they rarely have to re-set and wind.

On the downside, the amount of time a movement is in motion causes proportionate wear and tear on the movement's components. Especially high beat movements. A watch in constant motion stands more of a chance of requiring attention and should probably be serviced more regularly.

Hamilton have some beautiful watches. Their pilot and field genre pieces are a roaring success.