Watches

jack D and coke

It's the re-issued Monza that Tag Heuer made around the early 2000's that I'd probably want to be honest.

It's a little larger than the original and think it nicer tbh. Also like the fact it's a lot newer than buying an original. But still has that 'look'.

Ideally I'd get the Calibre 36 one but they are a lot more expensive.

Sounds good Sten. They usually come on a deployment buckled strap. Quite a narrow and thinnish strap at that. It might be as well to go try one on to see if you like it. I briefly had a small cased Monza (time only) a couple of years ago but I instantly disliked it as it was too small for my liking. The chronos look better IMO.

When I tire of a few in the collection I'm going to eventually get a Silverstone. Like you it will be a re-issue. Burgundy dial version.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds good Sten. They usually come on a deployment buckled strap. Quite a narrow and thinnish strap at that. It might be as well to go try one on to see if you like it. I briefly had a small cased Monza (time only) a couple of years ago but I instantly disliked it as it was too small for my liking. The chronos look better IMO.

When I tire of a few in the collection I'm going to eventually get a Silverstone. Like you it will be a re-issue. Burgundy dial version.

http://www.fkdiamonds.co.uk/current-stock.php?c=180&p=606

This has caught my fancy but I'm a good while off getting another pricey watch unfortunately.

Didn't realise the strap was so thin or that they were quite small. Wrist shots on google images looked okay, but I suppose you don't really know the size of the wrist. You're right about the deployment buckle. Wouldn't mind trying one on, but finding one locally would be tough i'd imagine.

I'd quite like to get an automatic submariner style watch. Any recommendations for around ?1k? I have puny wrists so icouldn't be massive.

I seen a Tag Aqua racer which looks pretty cool:

http://www.iconicwat...111-ba0822.html

Just looking for ideas before I eventually pull the trigger. I'll have to love it first!

I recently bought a submariner style watch and also have small wrists, there was two models available, a 38mm and a 42mm. I initially went for the 38mm as I didn't think I could pull off 42mm, but sent it back as soon as it arrived as it just looked far too small (the face looked tiny as the bezel takes up a decent border, which I didn't really factor in to my thinking).

Returned it for the 42mm option and delighted with it, in an ideal world 40mm would probably be perfect, but 42mm wasn't anywhere near as big looking as I thought it would be.

My laboured point is to try on the watch you are looking at before you buy if at all possible, as a larger size may not look so bad on your wrist.

Edited by jvm32

http://www.fkdiamond...php?c=180&p=606

This has caught my fancy but I'm a good while off getting another pricey watch unfortunately.

Didn't realise the strap was so thin or that they were quite small. Wrist shots on google images looked okay, but I suppose you don't really know the size of the wrist. You're right about the deployment buckle. Wouldn't mind trying one on, but finding one locally would be tough i'd imagine.

You may well think the strap is fine. It's only my taste that dictates that I always prefer a leather strap to be quite chunky. I've never been keen on narrower strapped watches either. Anything under 20mm is a bit narrow in my own opinion. I think the Monza takes 19mm but if you wanted to put your own strap on it then it should be an easy 'squeeze down' with a 20mm wide strap.

The lighter faced Monza looks so much better than the black one too.

Captain_Peacock

To be honest it was bought for the quirky looks but at less than a tenner I can't moan.

Tazio I'm always interested in what you pick up, usually a bit left of centre. As you say for a tenner you can't go wrong.

Tip for anyone concerned about a watch being too big for them. The width measurement isn't the only thing to look at. Look for the lug-to-lug measurement and also at the length and shape of the lugs. A larger sounding watch (width wise) can often wear much smaller if it has short and/or curved lugs.

Tip for anyone concerned about a watch being too big for them. The width measurement isn't the only thing to look at. Look for the lug-to-lug measurement and also at the length and shape of the lugs. A larger sounding watch (width wise) can often wear much smaller if it has short and/or curved lugs.

Yep, I'm still new to this whole watch business (although bought a couple in the last year and look to add another before the years out) but its certainly something I've picked up in that time.

The IWC I tried on last month was 42mm also, but looked fine as the lugs were short (although I felt it was right on my limit), the Chris Ward watch I picked up looked to have quick large lugs, but the curvature made it fit a bit smaller, so the 42mm still fitted not too badly.

Case height is also an issue for me on a smaller wrist, the IWC at 13.5mm also felt about as far as I could stretch it.

Edited by jvm32

Star_of_Edina

Hopefully one of these as my next purchase

Off to Mexico in September so see what's on offer New at Duty Free :-)

Collection so far is 4 watches

e5u7e8ub.jpg

6adyvumy.jpg

I want to leave my chronograph running for two weeks straight when I'm in Mexico. With the minute and hour hands on the same dial it will be a handy time indicator for back home.

However I've read on watchuseek it can cause additional wear and tear, so I'm now a little paranoid. That said, others claim its fine. Unsure what to believe. :lol:

Vic, 19mm does sound thin now you mention it.

Edina, looks like we may be overlapping in Mexico. I'm away 23 Aug to 06 Sep.

Edited by Sten Guns

Star_of_Edina

I'm away on the 7th from Manchester going down the Saturday early Sunday flight the wife wants the Trafford Center

Randle P McMurphy

I have seen a watch that I think I may be interested in but I am a total rookie in the premium used watch market.

Can anyone give their opinion on whether this looks a good deal and if so what I need to look out for?

Breitling Superocean A17360 bought in 2008 and rarely worn for ?1250

Condition is very good, nothing but light wear which should polish out, no dings, dents, chips anywhere on the case/bezel/crystal/bracelet.

Its got -

Outerbox

Inner Bakerlite Box

Warranty Card

All Manuals

Paperwork Holder

Velvet Bag

Leather Travel Case

Bracelet with all Links

Additional Diver Pro III Rubber Strap with Tang Buckle.

I do like the look of the watch and would be able to view it from a private seller before committing. Any tips on what to look out for, how to tell if it is authentic and also if it is a good price?

zoltan socrates

Don't understand watches, got a phone? Probably, there's your time piece, these days you are never without a phone so what's the point in a watch?

TheMaganator

Don't understand watches, got a phone? Probably, there's your time piece, these days you are never without a phone so what's the point in a watch?

As a wise man once said:

"When I look at a watch, the last thing I see is the time"

Jed The Jedi

Love my watches but couldn't justify spending the money on some of the outstanding examples on this thread. Had to make do with this bought in Turkey this summer.

post-2926-0-78467900-1408101990_thumb.jpg

Right watch fans.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a classic Seiko diver style. However after being set on the Pepsi style bezel I'm now having doubts and the black bezel is looking good.

Pepsi or black?

Angry Haggis

Right watch fans.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a classic Seiko diver style. However after being set on the Pepsi style bezel I'm now having doubts and the black bezel is looking good.

Pepsi or black?

Pics or GTF.

(Pepsi sounds interesting....depends on the face colour)

I'm on my phone so can't link images but search for Seiko Pepsi Bezel. It's the classic black face with the black diver strap.

Edited by Tazio

Sorry black voters, pulled the trigger on Pepsi. More of a classic Seiko diver look. It's one of the models with the 4205 movement as they are mid size at 38mm not including the crown as I've got stupid skinny wrists and would look ridiculous with a full size diver.

IMG_0626.jpg

Very nice. A classic looking Seiko. I think the pepsi bezel is better.

You can do so many things re straps with a watch like that. Rubber bands like the one pictured, handmade leather straps, maybe a perforated racing style one, nylon NATO/Zulu straps, classic Seiko style jubilee bracelet or solid link oyster bracelet.

Anyone else hate NATO straps?

Find them hideous. I'm yet to see an occasion it's improved the look of a watch.

Star_of_Edina

Now you can say no to one of these :-)

45654ba2ab59791fb4700b9a3ff2e521.jpg

4503148d2f35c7f6c888f27b4303a052.jpg

5700b24ede8213f8273b2a7187f95827.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys make of Breitling Montbrilliant?

They never really caught my attention but saw them in the window of a Breitling shop in St Tropez and they look stunning.

They never really caught my attention but saw them in the window of a Breitling shop in St Tropez and they look stunning.

Breitlings are too fussy for my taste however each to their own. Maybe in the flesh they're more appealing.

Find them hideous. I'm yet to see an occasion it's improved the look of a watch.

Marmite kind of thing really. Some people like 'em and others can't stand them. I think they have their place but I'm not keen on some of the more outlandish ones. The good things about them are that they are dirt cheap, are very quickly swapped as you don't need to remove spring bars, are very comfortable to wear and suit any size of wrist. I do agree that some are hideous but certain straps on certain watches are perfectly acceptable.

They never really caught my attention but saw them in the window of a Breitling shop in Coatbridge and they look stunning.

Hate the look of that, it would take me about a minute just to find the hands among all the other details. But then again I go for plain watch faces mostly. If I was going to spuff that kind of money I would probably go for an IWC Portuguese.

Edited by Tazio

Carl Weathers

Here's the watch I'm thinking about on a NATO. I quite like it!

2452012.jpg

Thoughts on the watch btw?

2452012.jpg

My thoughts are it looks far nicer in the last pic you posted. :lol:

2452012.jpg

Nice watch as Longines normally are. The blue face isn't really my taste but if you like it then it's a winner.

Carl Weathers

Nice watch as Longines normally are. The blue face isn't really my taste but if you like it then it's a winner.

Bought it today. Pictures don't really do it justice.

Bought it today. Pictures don't really do it justice.

What does it have if not the NATO? I like a heavy leather strap on a watch like that. Makes it a bit less jewellery like.

Carl Weathers

What does it have if not the NATO? I like a heavy leather strap on a watch like that. Makes it a bit less jewellery like.

Excuse the puny wrist (and massive pictures)!

20140819_201516.jpg

20140819_201322.jpg

Congrats on the LHC. Another modern day classic.

That Daytona on the cam NATO... :vrface: Someone at the wind up surely.

Another alternative to the NATO / Zulu are normal two pieced straps that happen to be made out of nylon / webbing material. There are various types widely available, albeit quite limited in colours. Normally only black, khaki, grey and biege. They are just as comfortable as NATOs but, being normal two pieced affairs, don't have the nylon running under the case or looped up through the bars. A much better fit on some watches.

Does anyone know anything about pocket watches. I have an oris that used to belong to my great granda . It's pretty beat up but still seems to work ok, I'd like to have a look inside but can't quite work out how to get the back off

Captain_Peacock

I'm not a fan of a material strap myself, but think Nato / Zulu looks ok on some watches. Blame the MOD for the Nato Sten.

wp-Hamilton_Pan-Europ_H35405941_PR-850x631.jpg

I'm not a fan of a material strap myself, but think Nato / Zulu looks ok on some watches. Blame the MOD for the Nato Sten.

wp-Hamilton_Pan-Europ_H35405941_PR-850x631.jpg

I'm not a fan of Natos but it works really well with that Hamilton.