Watches

jack D and coke

Captain_Peacock

I've been contemplating one for a while now, but still not decided on it.

I have small wrists, but when I tried on the standard Portofino it felt quite small (maybe just beacuse I've been conditioned by bigger watches), I tried on the Portofino chronograph and I much preferred the fit of that, which is 42mm compared to 40mm of the standard, and is the one I am leaning towards (although I like the Portuguese as well, and I've recently been tempted by the GMT Master II also).

I'd say I'm in the same boat as yourself, I'd consider 40 mm as pretty standard these days and 37 mm as small.

I had an old 37 mm dive watch I wore for a long time but is now consigned to the sock drawer, it now looks petite to me when I put it on (I wear a 42 mmm watch these days).

I think there is quite a bit of demand for smaller diameter watches from the Asian market.

Re Watch choices it'll be interesting to see which camp wins the day for yourself, tool watch or dress watch.

Edited by Captain_Peacock

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd say I'm in the same boat as yourself, I'd consider 40 mm as pretty standard these days and 37 mm as small.

I had an old 37 mm dive watch I wore for a long time but is now consigned to the sock drawer, it now looks petite to me when I put it on (I wear a 42 mmm watch these days).

I think there is some demand for smaller diameter watches from the Asian market.

Yeh, I wear a 42mm watch most days (although I've got a 40mm watch I will occasionaly wear) so it's just what I'm used to these days, and I think I'd find 37mm too small.

I hope IWC decided to do this with some of their other models though, especially their pilot watches as there is a couple I really love, but they are 44-46mm, which is just way too big.

Captain_Peacock

I hope IWC decided to do this with some of their other models though, especially their pilot watches as there is a couple I really love, but they are 44-46mm, which is just way too big.

44 mm is pretty much the limit for me.

Congrats on getting through to the final with the C5 design, I really like it so cast my vote in its favour. I've been contemplating buying the slimline for a little while now, but definitely prefer the look of your design over the 'standard' design.

Hey, thanks for the vote!

I ended up winning the final so they're now going to make this design - 100 of them, I think.

Carl Weathers

I ended up winning the final so they're now going to make this design - 100 of them, I think.

THAT is quality. What do you win?

Good work! Do you win a watch from it, or just the satisfaction that they're making your design?

Cheers!

Just win the glory and satisfaction - I'm not going to lie, I'm absolutely delighted!

:thumbsup:

Edited by TheMaganator

Yep, seen that. big congrats, must be pretty satisfying having a watch you have designed being made, I look forward to purchasing it.

Just bought this, had my eye on it for a while (a bit of an IWC pilot homage), and finally decided to buy it earlier this week. At 44mm I fear it may be a bit on the big side, but I just ended up diving in and going for it.

1394400034nbc2_leder_2014_01.jpg

Yep, seen that. big congrats, must be pretty satisfying having a watch you have designed being made, I look forward to purchasing it.

Many thanks. There's voting at the moment about what crystal & dial text to use...

Captain_Peacock

Well done Maganator, proof positive you have great taste.

Sten I have a question for you if you don't mind me asking re your Omega purchase from Iconic Watches. What name is stamped on the Watch warranty card, Iconic Watches, an Omega Authorised Dealer, blank?

jack D and coke

Many thanks. There's voting at the moment about what crystal & dial text to use...

Very well done mate. I know there's probably a pic but could you post it again? Give us a look.... :thumbsup:

Yeh, seen that. Not voted yet for the dial text as still unsure what the best option is, do you have a preference?

Thanks guys. I had originally thought of getting rid of the 'slimline' and just leaving it blank on the bottom half. Somebody suggested 'MMXV' for 2015 which I think would look cool. Either way - I do now think there needs to be something on the bottom half for balance on the dial.

Here's the original. I'll likely be putting a brown strap on it

CB417907-6DA1-4099-BEB7-87C8E9067D8F_zps

Thanks guys. I had originally thought of getting rid of the 'slimline' and just leaving it blank on the bottom half. Somebody suggested 'MMXV' for 2015 which I think would look cool. Either way - I do now think there needs to be something on the bottom half for balance on the dial.

Here's the original. I'll likely be putting a brown strap on it

CB417907-6DA1-4099-BEB7-87C8E9067D8F_zps

So you can't just replace "slimline" with "TheMaganator'? That would be pleasing.

So you can't just replace "slimline" with "TheMaganator'? That would be pleasing.

Magnatronic or something might work!

Well done The Magnator. Shame you don't get a freebie but it's earned you some cool points on here with the watch geeks!

jack D and coke

Magnatronic or something might work!

Well done The Magnator. Shame you don't get a freebie but it's earned you some cool points on here with the watch geeks!

Absolute pish that he doesn't get one tbh what a tight bunch of gits! :lol:

It's hard to tell the size of that in that picture, does it have quite a big face? I quite like the bigger watches myself.

Well done Maganator, proof positive you have great taste.

Sten I have a question for you if you don't mind me asking re your Omega purchase from Iconic Watches. What name is stamped on the Watch warranty card, Iconic Watches, an Omega Authorised Dealer, blank?

An authorised dealer. (In Italy)

The watch came with a letter from Iconic advising me that if I have have warranty issues and need to visit a local AD, that they recommend just saying I bought it in Italy myself because some AD's are funny about they grey market.

Captain_Peacock

An authorised dealer. (In Italy)

The watch came with a letter from Iconic advising me that if I have have warranty issues and need to visit a local AD, that they recommend just saying I bought it in Italy myself because some AD's are funny about they grey market.

Cheers Sten, landed on your feet there I think.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.

Got a week in KL, Malaysia coming up in April.

I've read online that KL is the cheapest place on the planet to buy high end watches. I'm getting quite close to buying another timepiece and I'm unsure whether to hold off until I go there. I can't imagine it'll be much cheaper than buying from Iconic over here.

Does anyone have any advice?

Pretty much narrowed it down to a Navitimer / Montbrilliant, a Zenith El Primero synopsis or the 45th anniversary Moonwatch. I think it would look amazing with a leather strap instead of the nato.

Hey guys.

Got a week in KL, Malaysia coming up in April.

I've read online that KL is the cheapest place on the planet to buy high end watches. I'm getting quite close to buying another timepiece and I'm unsure whether to hold off until I go there. I can't imagine it'll be much cheaper than buying from Iconic over here.

Does anyone have any advice?

Pretty much narrowed it down to a Navitimer / Montbrilliant, a Zenith El Primero synopsis or the 45th anniversary Moonwatch. I think it would look amazing with a leather strap instead of the nato.

No advice on KL but I'd plump for the 45th anniversary out of that lot.

All would be good but the 45th is one of my favourite watches at the moment.

45th Anniversary Moonwatch is gorgeous!

That Zenith looks odd to me, think it's the lack of symmetry. No doubting it's a great watch though.

Used to like the Navitimer but the dial is just too cluttered and telling the time would take a good few seconds. Haha.

No advice on KL but I'd plump for the 45th anniversary out of that lot.

All would be good but the 45th is one of my favourite watches at the moment.

It is quite stunning. It's also likely to hold it's value or increase in value as it's quite a rare one.

I saw some photos of it with a brown leather strap and it looked amazing.

Have a look at the photos on this forum.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/omega-speedmaster-apollo-11-45th-anniversary-limited-edition-1050100.html

Pretty amazing looking piece.

45th Anniversary Moonwatch is gorgeous!

That Zenith looks odd to me, think it's the lack of symmetry. No doubting it's a great watch though.

Used to like the Navitimer but the dial is just too cluttered and telling the time would take a good few seconds. Haha.

Yes, it is superb.

Yes, I know what you mean. I just love the quirkiness of it. The little oscillating star in the movement looks absolutely amazing in the flesh. Next time you're in a shop that sells these things with the open movement, have a look. It's quite mesmerising.

I don't why I love Navitimers so much. I like plain, classic looking watches with crystal backs. They are busy, cluttered, mental looking things with huge faces. They are just awesome though. I've seen some great 2nd hand ones on ebay for 2.5-3K.

You a fan of the 'grey side of the moon'? Really liking that just now too.

First time I've seen that but it is seriously cool.

Much do they go for?

First time I've seen that but it is seriously cool.

Much do they go for?

Good question! Not exactly sure.

My guess is the same as the Dark Side of the Moon. ?7.6k retail and ?6.1k at the likes of Iconic.

Really like it. Cool as feck!

Cosa,

From your list I think it has to be the El Primero or the 45th anniv Speedy.      The Speedmaster is a superb looking watch but for the 'better' movement it would be the Zenith.      Some modern Zeniths are among the best looking watches on the market.     As ever your best option can only be dictated by which one you want the most.     It doesn't matter if the other one trumps it in a few areas.

Good to see the thread resurrected again.      I've been as busy as ever on the rabid flipping front.       The collection (in the loosest possible sense of the word) now comprises a Rolex Explorer II,   Rolex Air King Super Precision,   Breitling Chronomat Evolution 44,   Breitling Superocean (1st gen.),   Breitling Repitition Minutes (Aerospace).      As well as a few others.

What do you guys think of Bremonts new watches to tie in with the new British spy film Kingsman?

I think they're nice but the Kingsman on the dial would put me off. Still gorgeous looking though

F19A372B-B471-4B9A-977B-B8C185B5556A_zps

83508E4D-F883-4A01-9871-1E87B420C303_zps

949443E4-FC7E-4842-8E6A-C87A1C32D477_zps

65D29587-11FE-4151-A307-12A68F0B3790_zps

Cosa,

From your list I think it has to be the El Primero or the 45th anniv Speedy.      The Speedmaster is a superb looking watch but for the 'better' movement it would be the Zenith.      Some modern Zeniths are among the best looking watches on the market.     As ever your best option can only be dictated by which one you want the most.     It doesn't matter if the other one trumps it in a few areas.

Good to see the thread resurrected again.      I've been as busy as ever on the rabid flipping front.       The collection (in the loosest possible sense of the word) now comprises a Rolex Explorer II,   Rolex Air King Super Precision,   Breitling Chronomat Evolution 44,   Breitling Superocean (1st gen.),   Breitling Repitition Minutes (Aerospace).      As well as a few others.

Quite a collection. Heard anything about buying in KL?

What do you guys think of Bremonts new watches to tie in with the new British spy film Kingsman?

I think they're nice but the Kingsman on the dial would put me off. Still gorgeous looking though

That one is awesome looking. Any idea how much that goes for?

I think Bremont is a bit of an outsider-looking-in sort of maker in the luxury market.      The brand has little mass awareness compared to most of the other,  much more established makers.      It doesn't have a great appeal amongst the so-called WIS either.       I've yet to see a Bremont that completely sets itself apart from anything else on the market to be honest.        For me the luxury market would not miss the entire brand and range,   should it disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow.         That's not to say that they are inferior watches,   because they clearly aren't.

Quite a collection. Heard anything about buying in KL?

I'm crazy.    I might be listing a wholly different 5 watches in a couple of months... and I'm not even joking.

I know nothing about the specifics of buying watches abroad to be honest.        There shouldn't be any particular problem as long as any purchase is made from a reputable business and you get the proper papers / warranty docs.        Personally I would not spend a lot of money in any shop that isn't known to be completely above board.         My approach for overseas purchases would be to thoroughly check out the seller,   just as much as the item.

I'm crazy.    I might be listing a wholly different 5 watches in a couple of months... and I'm not even joking.

I know nothing about the specifics of buying watches abroad to be honest.        There shouldn't be any particular problem as long as any purchase is made from a reputable business and you get the proper papers / warranty docs.        Personally I would not spend a lot of money in any shop that isn't known to be completely above board.         My approach for overseas purchases would be to thoroughly check out the seller,   just as much as the item.

Iconic said ?3400 for the Zenith which is a grand cheaper than Watches of Switzerland or that type of place. It has a tang buckle unfortunately - much prefer the deployment clasp.

No idea why but I don't like the idea of spending so much on a watch with a tang buckle.

Any idea how much it might cost to get it changed to a Zenith clasp?

Iconic said ?3400 for the Zenith which is a grand cheaper than Watches of Switzerland or that type of place. It has a tang buckle unfortunately - much prefer the deployment clasp.

No idea why but I don't like the idea of spending so much on a watch with a tang buckle.

Any idea how much it might cost to get it changed to a Zenith clasp?

By tang I suppose you mean one of the huge,   oversize Pre-V buckles?         They aren't to everyone's taste right enough but you do tend to see them on the better quality,   thick leather straps on the market.      I have one on my Chronomat at the moment.      The really thick straps tend to need them in order to hold their shape a bit better.

I'm not sure the existing strap could be swapped out with a deployment buckle but you always have the option of changing the whole strap.      But a strap that isn't overly thick should be able to be fitted with some sort of deployment,     even if it had to be a generic one.

That one is awesome looking. Any idea how much that goes for?

The Rose gold is ?15k.

The silver & black versions are ?4.2 though. I love the black & Rose gold. The silver doesn't do much for me

I think Bremont is a bit of an outsider-looking-in sort of maker in the luxury market. The brand has little mass awareness compared to most of the other, much more established makers. It doesn't have a great appeal amongst the so-called WIS either. I've yet to see a Bremont that completely sets itself apart from anything else on the market to be honest. For me the luxury market would not miss the entire brand and range, should it disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow. That's not to say that they are inferior watches, because they clearly aren't.

Yeah I see what you mean. I like a lot of their pieces though. I know it shouldn't make a huge difference but I love decorated or engraved rotors and Bremont do that well.

Big fab of their Boeing models too

Yeah I see what you mean. I like a lot of their pieces though. I know it shouldn't make a huge difference but I love decorated or engraved rotors and Bremont do that well.

Big fab of their Boeing models too

There are some nice pieces. I think the most attractive design feature of their watches is the differently coloured case flanks you see on most of them. That will appeal to a lot of people. Some of their watches have a loose flieger look without being out-and-out aviation watches.

Cosa,

Is yours the newer 42mm Exp II?

No Sten, 2008 Explorer II 16570, 40mm.

How do you find it for size? guessing it's pretty damn different to the Chronomat.

I've tried on my friends Submariner several times and it feels too small. Really wish it was the same size and thickness of the newer Explorer II. I'd get one in a heartbeat. Will never happen though!

Zenith.

But not the El Premiro, the Pilot Big Date with the El Primero movement. 

Oddly that is my next planned purchase but as usual I'll be searching in the vintage end of the market as I still prefer the look of old watches.

How do you find it for size? guessing it's pretty damn different to the Chronomat.

I've tried on my friends Submariner several times and it feels too small. Really wish it was the same size and thickness of the newer Explorer II. I'd get one in a heartbeat. Will never happen though!

On the smallish size but not too bad. I don't use it's bracelet as sports model bracelets are rubbish IMO. Certainly for those who need to remove links. The clasp sits at an awkward position. The spring bar position is very near to the case and it tends to tear up leather straps as they rub against the metal edges. I have mine on a pull-through Bond stripe nylon.

Some of the other, pricier sports models are chunkier. GMT II or, for the very wealthy, a Deepsea.

Zenith.

But not the El Premiro, the Pilot Big Date with the El Primero movement.

Oddly that is my next planned purchase but as usual I'll be searching in the vintage end of the market as I still prefer the look of old watches.

Great choice. Those are exceptional.