• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It all depends on the watch. A quartz will pretty much always change at midnight but mechanical watches will be set differently by different manufacturers. I've got a vintage Seiko that very reliably changes the date at 1am and the day at 2am, my Seiko diver only has a date complication and that changes at 2am. The oddest one is an Indian HMT that makes the sound of changing bang on midnight but doesn't have a date window so they must use the same movement whatever the dial is.

Interesting. Have you had a peek inside to see if there's a date wheel?

Captain_Peacock

Various leaks this week pre Baselworld that Tudor are to offer watches with "in house" movements which is intresting to me at least. Not a big fan of the power reserve on the dial of the leaked image but it'll be interesting to see if Tudor continue in this direction in future.

http://www.horologycrazy.com/2015/03/tudor-north-flag.html

IMG_4453.jpg

Various leaks this week pre Baselworld that Tudor are to offer watches with "in house" movements which is intresting to me at least. Not a big fan of the power reserve on the dial of the leaked image but it'll be interesting to see if Tudor continue in this direction in future.

http://www.horologycrazy.com/2015/03/tudor-north-flag.html

IMG_4453.jpg

Take it the boy in the photo needs a watch to make sure he's home in time for tea?

I'm torn between these 2, I've got a Bentley Breitling but having been wanting a new Breitling for a while that I can wear more everyday. The thing is that I really don't like the look of the colt, anything decent looking starts at 3k mark and by then you really don't want to be wearing it everyday. Found this heritage and it looks quite nice. The other option is the Omaga seamaster. 5edb71266ab9e0c7e6f20d87b1c240f3.jpg098b1d999abb198a661a2f1d3631b4ec.jpg is there much between them or does it just come down to individual preference in style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Phamism

I'm torn between these 2, I've got a Bentley Breitling but having been wanting a new Breitling for a while that I can wear more everyday. The thing is that I really don't like the look of the colt, anything decent looking starts at 3k mark and by then you really don't want to be wearing it everyday. Found this heritage and it looks quite nice. The other option is the Omaga seamaster. is there much between them or does it just come down to individual preference in style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't fret it. I wear my Super Avenger everyday and it was over ?4K.

• 2 weeks later...

The Planet Ocean is off getting refinished at Laings as I type. ?55 and takes up to 7 days. Not too bad.

Lesson learned. Don't wear on stag do's. :lol:

The Planet Ocean is off getting refinished at Laings as I type. ?55 and takes up to 7 days. Not too bad.

Lesson learned. Don't wear on stag do's. :lol:

I hope it comes back like new. My Hamilton went from gaining a respectable 2/3 seconds per day to 90+. It's currently at their service centre in Southampton getting fixed under warranty.

Got the watch back from Laings.

There are some little marks left that were clearly deep ass scratches. They said you can only polish so far before you're taking too much metal away. Which obviously isn't recommended. Miles better though and any marks there are visible because I know they are there. No longer any obvious ones. Pretty happy for that at ?55.

jkVWX8M.jpg

idX8sUG.jpg

Edited by Sten Guns

• 1 month later...
Sten Guns

New Tag Heuer Aquaracers appearing with a date magnification cyclops.

Screams trying to look like a Rolex IMO.

Or am I being too harsh? :lol:

Victorian

Sten, I have a Speedie Moon now and it will be getting the back, sack and crack treatment after learning of how little it is to have it done at Laings.

Sten Guns

Sten, I have a Speedie Moon now and it will be getting the back, sack and crack treatment after learning of how little it is to have it done at Laings.

Good stuff. Yeah I was pretty shocked at the price to have that done.

Captain_Peacock

Sten a decent watch is made to be worn in my opinion and I wouldn't worry too much about the odd ding, worse comes to the worse every time you notice them it should remind you of a cracking night out.

Life's for living and watches aren't for keeping under lock and key.

Looking at the photos ?55 looks not too bad btw.

Captain_Peacock

New Tag Heuer Aquaracers appearing with a date magnification cyclops.

Screams trying to look like a Rolex IMO.

Or am I being too harsh? :lol:

You know how I feel about the cyclops on the sub, x10 on TH Aquaracer.

Notbrainwashed

What is the B, s & c treatment and how much is it at Laings?

EDIT: Disregard, just looked back.  How much is an Omega service at Laings and how long does it take?  Anybody know?

Edited by Notbrainwashed

Victorian

EDIT: Disregard, just looked back. How much is an Omega service at Laings and how long does it take? Anybody know?

I was quoted circa 2 weeks for the refurb.

On servicing. I'm fairly sure they will do in house servicing on all or most Omega but it might be possible that certain watches go off to Switzerland instead. If it's in house then I would guess at about 6-8 weeks. Cost will be down to the model. Quartz models should be cheaper and certain mechanical calibres and chronograph modules will cost more. Again a guess but maybe about ?400 or so for a Seamaster or Aqua Terra, etc.

Breitling servicing is known to be markedly more expensive. I was once quoted over ?600 by Laings for a service on the Breitling Superocean II that I had at the time. I was quoted for the specific model and it's incredible money as the calibre in that watch is a basic ETA movement with Breitling tuning.

Always try to remember the probable cost of servicing a Breitling if you're thinking of buying one.

Sten Guns

I really want a Rolex DateJust ii.

Blue baton dial dial and smooth bezel.

:wub:

Not a chance that's happening anytime soon. Not unless I flipped my current watch, which I definitely won't be doing.

Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone can help me with this.

I bought a Maurice Lacroix watch last year. So it's still under warranty.

I am having problems with the date change and the strap.

I am getting nowhere with Maurice Lacroix direct.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Cheers

Serj Tankian

EDIT: Disregard, just looked back.  How much is an Omega service at Laings and how long does it take?  Anybody know?

Took in my omega sea master quartz and got quoted ?350 for a service said no took it to whyte in rose street and got it done for ?110 they also said they would change the battery for ?15 against ?65 at Laing

TheMaganator

Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone can help me with this.

I bought a Maurice Lacroix watch last year. So it's still under warranty.

I am having problems with the date change and the strap.

I am getting nowhere with Maurice Lacroix direct.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Cheers

Where did you purchase it?

I see a suggestion that ML no longer trade in the UK. Not sure if that's the case. Service agent hits on google point towards :

Thewatchlab

Prestigetime

Ernest Jones

I would phone an Ernest Jones and ask the Hampden. You might struggle to get a warranty repair though.

TheMaganator

I see a suggestion that ML no longer trade in the UK. Not sure if that's the case. Service agent hits on google point towards :

Thewatchlab

Prestigetime

Ernest Jones

I would phone an Ernest Jones and ask the Hampden. You might struggle to get a warranty repair though.

Have you ever owned a ML?

I've been tempted a few times over the years but never pulled the trigger.

Have you ever owned a ML?

I've been tempted a few times over the years but never pulled the trigger.

Nope. It's one of a number of makers that has never appealed. Never been struck by any design. Raymond Weil, Christopher Ward, Ebel are some other ones among quite a few.

I've been buying up a few vintages lately. A Zenith military style pilot, Jaeger LeCoultre dress watch, King Seiko chronometer.

Waiting on a nice diver though. A Dagaz Aurora. Right old school turtle cased diver. Much like the specially cased Breitling Top Time Bond was given by Q in Thunderball.

Where did you purchase it?

I got it in Turkey.

It should be legit. The shop is an ML agent, and I have the guarantee card and stuff.

I got a Tag from the same shop and it is legit.

The so called agents over here want ?60 to send it back.

ML have actually just emailed me back. (After a month)

I've to send it to them

Nope. It's one of a number of makers that has never appealed. Never been struck by any design. Raymond Weil, Christopher Ward, Ebel are some other ones among quite a few.

I've been buying up a few vintages lately. A Zenith military style pilot, Jaeger LeCoultre dress watch, King Seiko chronometer.

Waiting on a nice diver though. A Dagaz Aurora. Right old school turtle cased diver. Much like the specially cased Breitling Top Time Bond was given by Q in Thunderball.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2349056/Watch-bought-car-boot-sale-25-sells-100-000-recognised-Breitling-worn-Sean-Connery-Thunderball.html

That's the felly.

The earlier films featured Bond wearing a Submariner and he briefly had one in Thunderball until Q takes it off him and throws it away ( with a crash and tinkle and sad looking 007 ). He's issued with the bespoke Top Time. The film features another Breitling ( a Navitimer ) when 007 hands over the personal effects of the NATO pilot Derval to his sister Dominique.

The featured watches went distinctly down hill when Moore took over as Bond. A TAG Heuer and a succession of Seikos, albeit one Golden Tuna. The Omega franchise has been going on since Pierce Brosnan I think.

• 5 weeks later...

I was just in the Christopher Ward showroom and I have to echo others and say that their watches look fantastic in the flesh and the internet doesn't do them justice.

Sadly, as per the point of my visit I've only left with a new strap.

I still can't work out if it's something they'll be pleased about or if they'll be finding it very cheeky that my Hamilton now sports a CW bader clasp.

Jimmy McNulty

Just in getting battery for Aquaracer replaced. Didn't need a service either, so got away with $55. Chuffed.

Was more impressed with some of the Tudors on sale than I was the Rolexes. There was a nice divers style watch accented in a beautiful shade of maroon...

Just in getting battery for Aquaracer replaced. Didn't need a service either, so got away with $55. Chuffed.

Was more impressed with some of the Tudors on sale than I was the Rolexes. There was a nice divers style watch accented in a beautiful shade of maroon...

WTQQgz6.jpg

Jimmy McNulty

Aye, Sten, that's the one. Lingered for a while wondering whether the wife wouldn't be too mad if I bought it then stopped at Tiffanys for her on the way home...

I also like the self-winding idea. Have told the wife that for my 50th birthday I may splash serious money on something...

Edited by Jimmy McNulty

Very cool Jimmy.

Sten, please post some more photos of timepieces that you've been looking at. You post some cool stuff. Always like to see the prices as well.

What do you guys think of the Moonwatch mkII?

Pretty cool and inexpensive but I'd have to see it in the flesh before coughing up 3k.

Notbrainwashed

Very cool Jimmy.

Sten, please post some more photos of timepieces that you've been looking at. You post some cool stuff. Always like to see the prices as well.

What do you guys think of the Moonwatch mkII?

Pretty cool and inexpensive but I'd have to see it in the flesh before coughing up 3k.

I prefer the original from what I've seen.

I prefer the original from what I've seen.

Yeah, me too. The original is so damn iconic that I'd imagine it will always be available in almost identical form. I'm sure they'll update parts and change the movements etc but today's moonwatch looks very like the vintage ones. I think the mkII is pretty cool though. I see it more as an aside rather than an instead. The one with the orange highlights especially.

This one

Omega-Speedmaster-Mark-II.jpg

I'm liking the orange details on that. I think it would be a bit bland without them. 

I'm rocking the classic Seiko pepsi diver watch the last few days to celebrate summer.

Captain_Peacock

For me some of the Tudor lines are becoming what Rolex was in the past, a reasonably affordable quality tool watch.

From memory in the late 50's the Rolex Sub was pitched at a price that equated to an average US man's monthly income. These days the Rolex Sub is well beyond that & the Tudor Pelagos / Black bay seems to be priced at the level of the average working mans monthly income now.

I wouldn't want to run Rolex down it's just that with the year on year price escalations it's going to become harder and harder to wear their watches in anger for most. I don't blame Rolex for the price hikes, continued demand allows them to apply them.

Edited by Captain_Peacock

The People's Chimp

Yeah, me too. The original is so damn iconic that I'd imagine it will always be available in almost identical form. I'm sure they'll update parts and change the movements etc but today's moonwatch looks very like the vintage ones. I think the mkII is pretty cool though. I see it more as an aside rather than an instead. The one with the orange highlights especially.

This one

Omega-Speedmaster-Mark-II.jpg

That's lovely. Really digging that. 

For me some of the Tudor lines are becoming what Rolex was in the past, a reasonably affordable quality tool watch.

From memory in the late 50's the Rolex Sub was pitched at a price that equated to an average US man's monthly income. These days the Rolex Sub is well beyond that & the Tudor Pelagos / Black bay seems to be priced at the level of the average working mans monthly income now.

I wouldn't want to run Rolex down it's just that with the year on year price escalations it's going to become harder and harder to wear their watches in anger for most. I don't blame Rolex for the price hikes, continued demand allows them to apply them.

I was reading recently that Rolex haven't actually put their prices up on the majority of their models since 2012, although I do get what you are saying as on the same article it did also point out that they escalated prices in a big way between the late 90's and late 00's.

However, I have actually just taking the plunge on one myself, put my name on the waiting list for the GMT Master II (BLNR) only last week, and was told it would be a 6-8 month wait (due to demand), then got contacted this morning to say it would be available next Friday, the next week could be a slow one.

Edited by jvm32

I was reading recently that Rolex haven't actually put their prices up on the majority of their models since 2012, although I do get what you are saying as on the same article it did also point out that they escalated prices in a big way between the late 90's and late 00's.

However, I have actually just taking the plunge on one myself, put my name on the waiting list for the GMT Master II (BLNR) only last week, and was told it would be a 6-8 month wait (due to demand), then got contacted this morning to say it would be available next Friday, the next week could be a slow one.

How much is that one if you don't mind me asking?

I really like it but I really don't like the cyclops much. If I ever got a steel bracelet Rolex I'd get either the plain Submariner with no date or maybe a Deepsea with the flat face.

No idea why but I just think the cyclops is kind of tacky and really spoils the look of the watch. The two tone black and blue bezel is seriously cool though.

How much is that one if you don't mind me asking?

I really like it but I really don't like the cyclops much. If I ever got a steel bracelet Rolex I'd get either the plain Submariner with no date or maybe a Deepsea with the flat face.

No idea why but I just think the cyclops is kind of tacky and really spoils the look of the watch. The two tone black and blue bezel is seriously cool though.

I used to be of the same opinion regarding the cyclops, then got a watch with one on and it changed my mind on it completely, wasn't as invasive as I thought it would be. But I agree, I think I prefer the no date sub as well, and would probably go for that rather than the standard sub.

It's costing ?5950.

I like it even with the cyclops. The black and blue finish looks amazing.

I like the deepsea watches but the "GAS ESCAPE VALVE" writing looks even worse than the cyclops.

It's just so huge and dumb looking. 

Yep, does seem a bit unnecessary. When I was in trying on the GMT I tried on the sub as well, but decided against trying on the deep sea version as hadn't really picked up on how chunky it was before seeing it.

Not a big fan of that new MkII. Or the DSOM for that matter. The strap on the DSOM looks horrendous.

Check out the recent X33 Skywalker and the Spacemaster watches. That's the very best of Omega IMO.

The BLNR is a really cracking watch. Nice one! Much nicer than the standard black dial GMT Master II.

It's so popular Iconic actually charge MORE than the RRP.

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex-gmt-master-ii-stainless-steel-black-and-blue-116710blnr.html

The new Pepsi one is cracking but only available in white gold.

tdUy830.png

jyQMunf.png

Edited by Sten Guns

Cosa, not been looking half as much recently. Spending my time looking at buggies, baby car seats and cot's.

:muggy:

Tinkered with the car by changing the front grill for the sportier coupe one. Kind of watch related as I took a pic when I was in the garage. :lol: Seen as you asked for pics....... :)

4NUBays.jpg

G5NaDTy.jpg