Watches

jack D and coke

Great choice. Those are exceptional.

I should have said the Zenith I end up with won't be an El Primero. Too expensive for me and the maintenance on a 36000 vintage movement could kill me financially. Also I've heard that the older ones can damage themselves over time if they haven't had a regular maintenance schedule due to the tight tolerances in the movement. 

Nice trivia fact, Rolex used to use El Primero movements until they came up with their own high end chronograph.

Edited by Tazio

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the smallish size but not too bad. I don't use it's bracelet as sports model bracelets are rubbish IMO. Certainly for those who need to remove links. The clasp sits at an awkward position. The spring bar position is very near to the case and it tends to tear up leather straps as they rub against the metal edges. I have mine on a pull-through Bond stripe nylon.

Some of the other, pricier sports models are chunkier. GMT II or, for the very wealthy, a Deepsea.

Can't get over the ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE and the RING LOCK SYSTEM on the dial. Find it horrendous!

Think Rolex missed a trick with the new Sea Dweller 4000. Making that 42mm while offering the Sub at 40mm and DSSD at 44mm would have catered for everyone.

The said, I still really like it. Thickness is great. Matte dial isn't as reflective. Date without cyclops gives great symmetry. As does the markers all around the bezel. Just a shame they didn't make it 42mm. :(

Perhaps I'm just too used to wearing a larger watch!

NqILutq.jpg

Edited by Sten Guns

1d1322634e1092eaaaebdabf4e7400a9.jpg

There you go. Ignore my girly wrists

Almost a grand off RRP. Tried to get a further discount, but no dice as these things are flying out of the door. Still, at around 900 quid cheaper, you can't complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one of these a while back (on this thread). How do you find the hesalite crystal?

I was under the impression I was buying the sapphire crystal but after a couple of weeks it was obvious it was the hesalite. Just had to check the time and it left a mark!

Love the watch but just a pain in the erse having to get it polished constantly. Part of me wishes I'd held off and saved some more pennies for the co-axial. Added bonus of the date.

Maybe next time...

jack D and coke

Some decent new Tridents there. The Jambo one is the pick of the bunch. If you saw this would you automatically think Black Bay Rip off/homage?

I quite like it but not a fan on homage pieces

EC45C9D5-4702-4C52-B302-2E0680C45788_zps

For the money that's one of the nicest watches ive seen, I was pleasantly surprised when I went on the website there.

I never really wanted to spend bombs and I'm very tempted to get myself that one.

For the money that's one of the nicest watches ive seen, I was pleasantly surprised when I went on the website there.

I never really wanted to spend bombs and I'm very tempted to get myself that one.

Much is it? Looks pretty cool.

I got one of these a while back (on this thread). How do you find the hesalite crystal?

I was under the impression I was buying the sapphire crystal but after a couple of weeks it was obvious it was the hesalite. Just had to check the time and it left a mark!

Love the watch but just a pain in the erse having to get it polished constantly. Part of me wishes I'd held off and saved some more pennies for the co-axial. Added bonus of the date.

Maybe next time...

I've heard the hesalite crystal is not the best.

Still a fine looking watch but the sapphire would have been worth paying extra for.

Can't get over the ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE and the RING LOCK SYSTEM on the dial. Find it horrendous!

Think Rolex missed a trick with the new Sea Dweller 4000. Making that 42mm while offering the Sub at 40mm and DSSD at 44mm would have catered for everyone.

The said, I still really like it. Thickness is great. Matte dial isn't as reflective. Date without cyclops gives great symmetry. As does the markers all around the bezel. Just a shame they didn't make it 42mm. :(

Perhaps I'm just too used to wearing a larger watch!

NqILutq.jpg

I'm not the biggest Rolex fan but if I was going to get one, I'd want it to be a big fat ****er.

They look so much better without the cyclops as well.

jack D and coke

Much is it? Looks pretty cool.

post-912-14218293452586_thumb.jpg

Very nice for that amount of money.

Don't know if the picture is showing tapatalk has been a bit dodgy for that lately.

It's ?660 if you can't see the image.

Edited by jack D and coke

Notbrainwashed

I've heard the hesalite crystal is not the best.

Still a fine looking watch but the sapphire would have been worth paying extra for.

I like the hesalite.  It hasn't marked or anything yet and certainly hasn't needed a polish.  Still looks great.  Yes, the sapphire looks nice, too.  But, didn't seem worth the extra to me.

Still love the watch

I like the hesalite.  It hasn't marked or anything yet and certainly hasn't needed a polish.  Still looks great.  Yes, the sapphire looks nice, too.  But, didn't seem worth the extra to me.

Still love the watch

Does yours have a solid back? Love the moonwatch with the sapphire back and the moonphase.

Notbrainwashed

Does yours have a solid back? Love the moonwatch with the sapphire back and the moonphase.

It does.  The clear back did look cool.  But I liked the idea of trying to get as close to the actual moonwatch as possible.

Yeah, I am a big fan of this model. I will seriously be considering getting it!

I've already got a C60, but I really like the look of the updated version, so think I'm going to try and offload my existing C60 and use the funds in part to pay for the new version.

I don't think that's too much of a Black Bay homage. One or two vague similarities with the red(ish) bezel and a (sort of) snowflake hour hand. It's actually more like a Glycine Combat Sub. Very nice though.

Still love the watch

I've no idea what I'm doing with mine that you're not doing with yours then! Within a couple of weeks it had 3 or 4 marks. The beauty with the hesalite is it polishes up good as new but having to drop in to the jewelers constantly and chucking a tenner their way is a pain in the hoop.

Incidentally, does anyone know if you can get a special cloth or cream that would allow me to give it a quick polish myself?

Notbrainwashed

I've no idea what I'm doing with mine that you're not doing with yours then! Within a couple of weeks it had 3 or 4 marks. The beauty with the hesalite is it polishes up good as new but having to drop in to the jewelers constantly and chucking a tenner their way is a pain in the hoop.

Incidentally, does anyone know if you can get a special cloth or cream that would allow me to give it a quick polish myself?

I read on forums that PolyWatch is the stuff to use.  Haven't used any yet, myself.  But now that you've made me look closely, I see an *extremely* minor scratch on the crystal.  Then again, I have had the watch a few months and worn it every day since I bought it.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/hesalite-crystal-polishing-using-polywatch-572393.html

Edited by Notbrainwashed

I read on forums that PolyWatch is the stuff to use. Haven't used any yet, myself. But now that you've made me look closely, I see an *extremely* minor scratch on the crystal. Then again, I have had the watch a few months and worn it every day since I bought it.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/hesalite-crystal-polishing-using-polywatch-572393.html

Cheers. Will give it a go.

I'm not the biggest Rolex fan but if I was going to get one, I'd want it to be a big fat ****er.They look so much better without the cyclops as well.

Really, REALLY like the Yachmaster II.

Not a chance I'll afford one anytime soon. Probably ever in fact. :lol:

a lot nicer than some o the shite on here

Seconded!

It's hard to find a watch that isn't a giant blingy talking piece.

At least in my price range, simplicity of design doesn't seem to be valued much

AngleParkMenace

After much deliberating I finally took the plunge and got the Omega Seamaster I have always wanted. Cheers for some of the info on here, I am delighted with it.

After much deliberating I finally took the plunge and got the Omega Seamaster I have always wanted. Cheers for some of the info on here, I am delighted with it.

Superb mate. Good to hear. Enjoy!

Wee wrist shot at some point wouldn't go a miss. :)

Some might call it sacrilege but I'm looking at taking out the automatic workings of an old omega (it doesn't work and omega want a lot to get it back working ) and putting a quartz in it . There is a place in Perth but they are expensive and was wondering if anyone knew of a place in Edinburgh that does it .

Some might call it sacrilege but I'm looking at taking out the automatic workings of an old omega (it doesn't work and omega want a lot to get it back working ) and putting a quartz in it . There is a place in Perth but they are expensive and was wondering if anyone knew of a place in Edinburgh that does it .

Before you even consider going down that route find a local watchmaker. Repairs by the manufacturer are always going to be stupidly expensive. Chances are it will be something simple (to a watchmaker) like changing the mainspring.

What do you guys think of the Heuer Silverstone reissues that came out a few years ago? I like them but they are maybe a wee bit too fat and they look odd due to not having any lugs. Got offered one for an excellent price but can't decide.

What do you guys think of the Heuer Silverstone reissues that came out a few years ago? I like them but they are maybe a wee bit too fat and they look odd due to not having any lugs. Got offered one for an excellent price but can't decide.

I like the blue one. Wouldn't pay RRP but id consider it at sub ?2k

Not a fan of straps with holes. Prefer the Monza also....

Carl Weathers

Check out www.watchguy.co.uk

Superb service at a reasonable cost.

I sent my Omega there and he did a great job.

Not a fan of straps with holes. Prefer the Monza also....

They are really cool. I like the ones with white faces and brow leather strap rather than black face / black strap.

Black face / black leather Monzas / Monacos look cool but they are way too formal looking to just wear about in jeans and t-shirts etc.

I like this one but I hate the lizard strap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAG-Heuer-Monza-Stainless-Steel-Chronograph-Automatic-CR2114-0-NEW-CONDITION-/261745474344?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item3cf13efb28

Would need to get the lizard strap to **** and put the original one back on.

Unfortunately it's in Romania. Not sure how great an idea it would be to buy a watch from there.

I really like the Silverstone re-issue but it certainly isn't great value for money. With a watch like that, there's a massive premium on the design / illusion of it being a rare classic. But the watch is an amazing looking design and VFM is a very subjective thing anyway. The same applies to all of the modern re-issues by TAG Heuer I suppose.

I've just bought a watch from a maker that I haven't really paid full attention to in the past. Their watches just didn't appeal to me. A Christopher Ward C7 Bluebird limited edition. It's a cracking looking piece with some striking design features. A nice pick-n-go quartz chrono.

Where is good to get a battery in a Tag Link replaced?  

Laings and Goldsmths, etc are all wanting to send it away for a full service (which I've done before and felt it was forced upon and not really needed).  The minimum they can offer is a in-house battery change and re-seal at approx ?70-?80.  Is there someone who have the tools to safely open and change which is probably a ?5 battery?

Where is good to get a battery in a Tag Link replaced?  

Laings and Goldsmths, etc are all wanting to send it away for a full service (which I've done before and felt it was forced upon and not really needed).  The minimum they can offer is a in-house battery change and re-seal at approx ?70-?80.  Is there someone who have the tools to safely open and change which is probably a ?5 battery?

I needed a new battery in my Seamaster recently and put it into Laings - ?85. You are right that the Battery is probably cheap but I imagine you are paying for the re-seal and pressure test and the confidence that after a battery change your watch is not going to allow water in. 

I needed a new battery in my Seamaster recently and put it into Laings - ?85. You are right that the Battery is probably cheap but I imagine you are paying for the re-seal and pressure test and the confidence that after a battery change your watch is not going to allow water in. 

Tomian Jewellers, 10 Forth St., will do all of that and guarantee that the watch won't let any water in, for much, much, less than you were charged at Laings.

I really like the Silverstone re-issue but it certainly isn't great value for money. With a watch like that, there's a massive premium on the design / illusion of it being a rare classic. But the watch is an amazing looking design and VFM is a very subjective thing anyway. The same applies to all of the modern re-issues by TAG Heuer I suppose.

I've just bought a watch from a maker that I haven't really paid full attention to in the past. Their watches just didn't appeal to me. A Christopher Ward C7 Bluebird limited edition. It's a cracking looking piece with some striking design features. A nice pick-n-go quartz chrono.

The Bluebird is lovely. They have been talking about bringing out a mechanical Bluebird watch for a while. When they originally teamed up with Bluebird the plan was to release three watches in the range. I know the next version was certainly being planned as it was confirmed by the company - that was a while ago now though so I am not sure what is happening with it. 

Di you get it new or second hand?

The blue on the pushers is a nice touch imo

The Bluebird is lovely. They have been talking about bringing out a mechanical Bluebird watch for a while. When they originally teamed up with Bluebird the plan was to release three watches in the range. I know the next version was certainly being planned as it was confirmed by the company - that was a while ago now though so I am not sure what is happening with it.

Di you get it new or second hand?

The blue on the pushers is a nice touch imo

Yep. S/H. It's quite big but on the light side. Very striking.

One of my mates has been saving for close to 3 years for an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. It's going to be not far off 10k for a 2nd hand one. I understand that they are exquisite, top end timepieces and are hand made in extremely limited numbers but it looks absolutely awful. Looks like something you'd expect a gay robot to be wearing.

I'd buy 2 or 3 amazing pieces with that money. If it had to be spent on one, it certainly would look better than a Royal Oak.

One of my mates has been saving for close to 3 years for an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. It's going to be not far off 10k for a 2nd hand one. I understand that they are exquisite, top end timepieces and are hand made in extremely limited numbers but it looks absolutely awful. Looks like something you'd expect a gay robot to be wearing.

I'd buy 2 or 3 amazing pieces with that money. If it had to be spent on one, it certainly would look better than a Royal Oak.

A gay robot :lol:

I love them (the steel and titanium ones anyway - I don't like gold watches). But I also love most Rolexes and I know you're not a fan so we've obviously got fairly different tastes in watches. There are watches I don't like that many others do; gold and bi-metal watches for one and I don't really like Tag-Heur or Breitling, with one or two exceptions. And that's all good as it would be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff.

I know what you mean about some of the hyper-brand models. Audemars and Hublot especially. Some of them are awful looking. You can actually get a lower end Hublot automatic on the second hand market for as little as ?1,500 or so... if that's your thing. A few Audemars go as low as ?4k. But if after a large, high quality automatic I think the place to go is Panerai. Also look at Anonimo which are similar and have a relationship to Panerai.

A gay robot :lol:

I love them (the steel and titanium ones anyway - I don't like gold watches). But I also love most Rolexes and I know you're not a fan so we've obviously got fairly different tastes in watches. There are watches I don't like that many others do; gold and bi-metal watches for one and I don't really like Tag-Heur or Breitling, with one or two exceptions. And that's all good as it would be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff.

You sound like my mate. He hates Tag and bi-metal as well and loves makes like Hublot and Vacheron that rarely get a mention on here because of their mental priceyness.

I like some rolexes but I think a lot of them look a wee bit Del-boy. I really like the newest deep sea dwellers.

I know what you mean about some of the hyper-brand models. Audemars and Hublot especially. Some of them are awful looking. You can actually get a lower end Hublot automatic on the second hand market for as little as ?1,500 or so... if that's your thing. A few Audemars go as low as ?4k. But if after a large, high quality automatic I think the place to go is Panerai. Also look at Anonimo which are similar and have a relationship to Panerai.

Have you seen any Franck Muller timepieces?

Incredibly expensive but some of them are seriously cool. The one with the roulette wheel complication is great. Not worth 10k but it looks better than a Royal Oak.

Have you seen any Franck Muller timepieces?

Incredibly expensive but some of them are seriously cool. The one with the roulette wheel complication is great. Not worth 10k but it looks better than a Royal Oak.

I've seen them but never paid much notice. Have you seen some of the more zany Corum watches? Hideous.