Watches

jack D and coke

I've seen them but never paid much notice. Have you seen some of the more zany Corum watches? Hideous.

I've not even heard of those. I'll take a wee look though.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Christ. I actually can't think of anyone who would buy it. Some watches are the preserve of the celeb / sportsman / Marbella dwelling market but that surely wouldn't appeal to anyone.

Was taking a walk round the airport today on my way home earlier and I noticed watches by a company called Skagen from Denmark

Weren't the most expenive ?100-200 but whats the opinion on them as thought there were a couple that looked smart

Not a fan of AP's or Hublot's. Particularly Hublot's. Find them horrible.

I really want the new Seamaster 300 master co axial. But my only chance would be to flip the PO. Which ain't happening. :(

Was taking a walk round the airport today on my way home earlier and I noticed watches by a company called Skagen from Denmark

Weren't the most expenive ?100-200 but whats the opinion on them as thought there were a couple that looked smart

got one for my Christmas- very smart, decent price- happy with it, only thing is if you wake up in pitch black and want to see the time, you can't see jack Chirac.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever bought an expensive watch on ebay? How risky actually is it in terms of buyer protection from buying counterfeit?

I also found these guys who seem to be even cheaper than Iconic Watches for some brands like Breitling and Tag.

http://www.precisiontime.co.uk/

They have a good trust pilot rating and seem to be legit based on mentions on other forums.

Anyone heard of them or used them before?

I bought a Skagen will in the Carribean last year and got a good deal. I'm not sure there's anything spectacular about them other than being very nice looking watches.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a nice silver watch for every day wear but not looking to spend much more than ?100 (tight I know) any recommendations?

I would say at that price range your best bet for a good quality (proper) watch is Seiko:

http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/l/watches/brand%7Cseiko/#/webstore/l/watches/brand%7Cseiko/recipient%7Chim/?Pg=2

Goldstone Wonder

I have a 27 year old Gucci which my Dad got for his 50th birthday and which I inherited when he died. I don't think it is particularly valuable but obviously it has sentimental value for me. I . believe it cost about ?500 back in the day. I got a new battery for it recently but it seems to have broken down again. I'm wondering if it needs a proper service. Can anyone recommend a jeweller to do this and does anyone have any idea how much this would cost?

Edited by Goldstone Wonder

I have a 27 year old Gucci which my Dad got for his 50th birthday and which I inherited when he died. I don't think it is particularly valuable but obviously it has sentimental value for me. I . believe it cost about ?500 back in the day. I got a new battery for it recently but it seems to have broken down again. I'm wondering if it needs a proper service. Can anyone recommend a jeweller to do this and does anyone have any idea how much this would cost?

With it being a quartz movement there's less chance that a service or repair will be possible to the existing movement. More likely is that the whole movement could be replaced. If the movement is still available to buy (or possibly source from NOS) then a watch repairer could probably do that for about ?50 - ?100 plus the cost of the new movement. Tomian jewellers is the place to go. He'll be able to say at a glance if the movement is something likely to be sourced.

Edited by Victorian

kingantti1874

One of my friends turned up with a panerai luminor today, he's a bit of a watch fanatic but this one is absolutely top notch... Love it..

Going to get a hold of one of these.. Marina, probably with a black crocodile style strap

http://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/brands/panerai/luminor

Edited by kingantti1874

Victorian, can that guy Tomian Polish / refinish watches?

I fell over pished on a stag weekend and scuffed the Omega.

Thankfully the ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal are fine. But the clasp, bracelet and one of the lugs (right on a bit between polished and brushed steel), are all marked.

So pissed off. :vrface:

I'll post pics. Might be worth waiting until Omega service it. But I didn't plan on doing that until about 2021 when it was about 7 years old. Don't fancy 6 years of hating these marks.

:(

Edited by Sten Guns

Clasp.

wS5dBJk.jpg

Clasp again.

yK9Iypz.jpg

Lug mark on right hand side. Between polished and brushed area.

SACwYgh.jpg

Same again. Also shows bracelet marks.

I4DFJ5w.jpg

Edited by Sten Guns

Nightmare Sten. I would get Omega to do it. It will be worth the money. Someone else could do it with a variety of polishing products but It should really get an expert to make sure the graining is spot on on the brushed finished surfaces.

Goldstone Wonder

With it being a quartz movement there's less chance that a service or repair will be possible to the existing movement. More likely is that the whole movement could be replaced. If the movement is still available to buy (or possibly source from NOS) then a watch repairer could probably do that for about ?50 - ?100 plus the cost of the new movement. Tomian jewellers is the place to go. He'll be able to say at a glance if the movement is something likely to be sourced.

Many thanks for the advice. I'll wander along there on Saturday before the game.

One of my friends turned up with a panerai luminor today, he's a bit of a watch fanatic but this one is absolutely top notch... Love it..

Going to get a hold of one of these.. Marina, probably with a black crocodile style strap

I'll acknowledge this if no one else will. Mentioned it in this thread near the start but didn't get any traction! Stunning watch, bigger in real life.

Undoubtedly superb watches - but the crown guard style puts me off.

Jimmy McNulty

Victorian, can that guy Tomian Polish / refinish watches?

I fell over pished on a stag weekend and scuffed the Omega.

Thankfully the ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal are fine. But the clasp, bracelet and one of the lugs (right on a bit between polished and brushed steel), are all marked.

So pissed off. :vrface:

I'll post pics. Might be worth waiting until Omega service it. But I didn't plan on doing that until about 2021 when it was about 7 years old. Don't fancy 6 years of hating these marks.

:(

Dunno Sten. I've always assumed that if I buy and wear a watch it is with the risk it'll be scratched at some point. There are various scrapes on my 10 year old TAG, and I just put it down to the cost of wearing a nice timepiece 18 hours a day (same goes for my wedding ring, other nice pieces that I have). Of course, you don't want the watch to look like crap, but scratches are inevitable IMO...

Edited by Jimmy McNulty

Dunno Sten. I've always assumed that if I buy and wear a watch it is with the risk it'll be scratched at some point. There are various scrapes on my 10 year old TAG, and I just put it down to the cost of wearing a nice timepiece 18 hours a day (same goes for my wedding ring, other nice pieces that I have). Of course, you don't want the watch to look like crap, but scratches are inevitable IMO...

Totally agree. The pictures don't do it justice though. Looks worse in real life. For me it's beyond standard usage scratches etc. There was a couple already and these didn't bother me whatsoever.

Still undecided what to do though.

kingantti1874

I'll acknowledge this if no one else will. Mentioned it in this thread near the start but didn't get any traction! Stunning watch, bigger in real life.

Yes, I tried on my mates... Is a bit on the large side but I get away with it..

Panerai are one of those brands I respect and like. But can't see myself ever owning.

Theres always something else I'd probably rather have.

Of course if I was filthy rich with a substantial collection that would be different.

But if I built up say a good 3 watch collection I doubt one would be a Panerai.

Totally agree. The pictures don't do it justice though. Looks worse in real life. For me it's beyond standard usage scratches etc. There was a couple already and these didn't bother me whatsoever.

The scratch on the clasp looks bad - it may be worth replacing that part and just a polish job on the rest of the watch? From this link Omega dont deliver spares to customers - you would need to go via a reseller for a qoute for part and fitting. I would estimate circa ?150 - ?300. 

The scratch on the clasp looks bad - it may be worth replacing that part and just a polish job on the rest of the watch? From this link Omega dont deliver spares to customers - you would need to go via a reseller for a qoute for part and fitting. I would estimate circa ?150 - ?300. 

link: http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/faq

http://watchpart.co.uk/omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-steel-clasp-20mm-1580952-p-4626.html 

?150 for clasp. 

Sten - I'm pretty sure that Watches of Switzerland's new shop in Glasgow (Buchanan St) has a repair centre attached which is authorised for service on many of the major brands.

Worth a call maybe.

Carl Weathers

I had to replace the clasp on my Longines watch last week. I took it to Laings and it cost ?39. I realise the Longines watch is cheaper than the Omega but 300 sheets for a clasp seems far too much. Good luck!

Taken my collection to 3 pieces. 

Got an amazing deal on a mint, 2nd hand Monaco. It's just the basic one but i like it.

It's dressy so I'll not wear it that often I guess. I want to get a new brown, croc leather Tag strap for it as I like them better than the black strap. If anyone knows a way of avoiding paying ?250 for one, I'd be interested to hear it.

My Breitling Avenger Blackbird has become my everyday watch these days. Absolutely love the thing. 

Also sold my old gold Manual Wind Omega and somehow managed to turn a ?200 profit. I really liked it but it was just too wee for my mammoth hands. 

Taken my collection to 3 pieces.

Got an amazing deal on a mint, 2nd hand Monaco. It's just the basic one but i like it.

It's dressy so I'll not wear it that often I guess. I want to get a new brown, croc leather Tag strap for it as I like them better than the black strap. If anyone knows a way of avoiding paying ?250 for one, I'd be interested to hear it.

My Breitling Avenger Blackbird has become my everyday watch these days. Absolutely love the thing.

Also sold my old gold Manual Wind Omega and somehow managed to turn a ?200 profit. I really liked it but it was just too wee for my mammoth hands.

Nice. Which model?

Private purchase or internet sale?

Nice. Which model?

Private purchase or internet sale?

Ebay funnily enough. First time I've used it. The guy bought the watch brand new in Greece in 2012 and he scanned the receipt and emailed the serial no. which I checked with Tag who confirmed that it was genuine and what date / year and country it had been purchased for. They also confirmed that it hadn't been stolen from anywhere that they were aware of. The guy had over 500 sales and 100% positive feedback. I also got it for about ?900 which is great for this watch in this condition.

It's this one.

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0001054/TAG-Heuer-Monaco-Automatic-Mens-Watch/p?gclid=CPWL4J7XgMQCFSbmwgodjIcAUw

Just the most basic model but I rather like it. Always wanted one although I'm not sure how much I'll actually wear it.

Hey Sten, have you seen the Planet Ocean Sochi Olympic edition? Looks amazing. I've seen a few online for some seriously reasonable prices. I think they look amazing.

That's a great pick up & price!

Good of Tag to be so helpful too. Is there some sort of 'fake busting' team that you contact or just general customer services

That's a great pick up & price!

Good of Tag to be so helpful too. Is there some sort of 'fake busting' team that you contact or just general customer services

Regular customer services phone no.

Breitling offer the same service on all 2nd hand or even grey market watches as well. 

Makes buying online from non ADs a whole lot safer.

Going to get a hold of one of these.. Marina, probably with a black crocodile style straphttp://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/brands/panerai/luminor

I bought the the marina 8days last year. Had looked and Omega and Rolex but opted for Panerai down to them being a bit different as well as only 1000 of each style is produced each year.

Still fancy an Omega at some point however absolutely delighted with my choice.

I bought from an Oficial Panerai store and managed to get and extra strap from the. So have the black leather and Rubber that comes with it plus the navy crocodile strap.

I've just dipped into this thread for the first time so apologies if it's been asked before, but has anyone bought one of those MVMT watches currently advertised on JKB? If so, recommended? They appear to sell at about ?100 or so.

If it's on the strap then it's easily replaceable and pretty inexpensive I believe. Did something similar with mine but there's something about enhancing the character by scratches etc. once it's been scratched once you become less precious.

kingantti1874

I bought the the marina 8days last year. Had looked and Omega and Rolex but opted for Panerai down to them being a bit different as well as only 1000 of each style is produced each year.

Still fancy an Omega at some point however absolutely delighted with my choice.

I bought from an Oficial Panerai store and managed to get and extra strap from the. So have the black leather and Rubber that comes with it plus the navy crocodile strap.

The connoisseurs choice :thumbsup: going to the states next month so thinking of picking one up there... The other watch I have on my want list is a Rolex sub... Plain and simple...

A Panerai is very high on my list for the next big flip. A bit less money will get you a similarly designed wstch, an Anonimo, which has a relation to Panerai in their heritage. Some of those look very nice.

If you like the Panerai look then you can get some very cheap homages. Mostly made by makers like Parnis. Some with reasonable Seagull movements.. a few rarer ones with better quality Unitas hand wound movements.

?120 new and as low as ?40 pre-owned.

I've just dipped into this thread for the first time so apologies if it's been asked before, but has anyone bought one of those MVMT watches currently advertised on JKB? If so, recommended? They appear to sell at about ?100 or so.

I've see them advertised on Facebook quite a bit. Don't know much about them.

I don't like the look of those Panerais at all.

The guard over the crown just doesn't do it for me at all.

They're not as bad as some of those U-Boat monstrosities. What the hell are they all about?

I don't like the look of those Panerais at all.

The guard over the crown just doesn't do it for me at all.

They're not as bad as some of those U-Boat monstrosities. What the hell are they all about?

They're a bit too over size. A bit of a mix between various XL flieger / pilots and those gargantuan Russian deep diver things made by Zlatoust / Agat. Some of those measure 63mm across. :)

The connoisseurs choice :thumbsup: going to the states next month so thinking of picking one up there... The other watch I have on my want list is a Rolex sub... Plain and simple...

I picked mine up in the states too. Had a look in the UK and felt that they didn't have as much choice and mostly ones that had been out for a while. The 8 day was just out in 2014 so quite happy to own a first edition of it.

I know some people don't like the over size or the guard over the crown but it's that but I like as it's different.

Not sure what the next target is, will be a few years as there is no way the Mrs will let me get another without her getting something too. She had to get a channel bag since I was getting a watch, so buying a watch costs me twice what it should.

• 2 weeks later...
kingantti1874

why does my watch change date at 1am intead of midnight.

My tag now changes at 4.30am, mechanism is out of sync becuase I was changing dates incorrectly - should get fixed with a service..

TheMaganator

Think this can happen if you change the date when the time is between 8pm & 2am.

If you're changing the date it's safest to change the time to around 6 and then change it back after you've set the date.

A service should sort it

It all depends on the watch. A quartz will pretty much always change at midnight but mechanical watches will be set differently by different manufacturers. I've got a vintage Seiko that very reliably changes the date at 1am and the day at 2am, my Seiko diver only has a date complication and that changes at 2am. The oddest one is an Indian HMT that makes the sound of changing bang on midnight but doesn't have a date window so they must use the same movement whatever the dial is.