Watches

jack D and coke

Christopher Ward now offering their own in house movement http://www.christoph...-day-automatic/

Also hardened cases http://www.christoph...c1000-kkkn.html

They really have come a long way in a short time.

Is there anywhere in Edinburgh or Glasgow that you can try a Chris Ward watch on rather than just getting direct from their web site? Thinking of getting a watch from them for birthday at start of next year and while I'm thinking more in the ?500-?600 range than the megabucks that some have been talking about on this thread, I'd still rather try it on before I took the plunge. Current leader is the white faced C65 Trident Classic shown below but I'd like to see it in person.

c65-swt-fo.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there anywhere in Edinburgh or Glasgow that you can try a Chris Ward watch on rather than just getting direct from their web site? Thinking of getting a watch from them for birthday at start of next year and while I'm thinking more in the ?500-?600 range than the megabucks that some have been talking about on this thread, I'd still rather try it on before I took the plunge. Current leader is the white faced C65 Trident Classic shown below but I'd like to see it in person.c65-swt-fo.jpg
Nope, the only place you can buy is direct from them. However, there customer service is first class and they will happily let you return the watch if its not suitable (as long as its 'unworn') using their 60/60 guarantee.

I recently ordered a watch from them and decided I wanted to exchange it for another after trying on the original watch, they sent out a pre paid special delivery envelope to return the original watch and the replacement was with me a couple of days later, they were really easy to deal with.

Edited by jvm32

Is there anywhere in Edinburgh or Glasgow that you can try a Chris Ward watch on rather than just getting direct from their web site? Thinking of getting a watch from them for birthday at start of next year and while I'm thinking more in the ?500-?600 range than the megabucks that some have been talking about on this thread, I'd still rather try it on before I took the plunge. Current leader is the white faced C65 Trident Classic shown below but I'd like to see it in person.

c65-swt-fo.jpg

Nah - as above they are online only (one of the reasons they can keep their costs down).

Again - they pride themselves on customer service - I've never experienced anything better.

I've got 7 of their watches. I don't have the c65 but I've got the c60.

Google Christopher Ward Forum. There's an excellent independent forum where you'll get lots of wrist photos an info.

They do have a showroom down in Maidenhead where you can visit though - if you're ever down that way

Also, they like a good discount code every now and then, so keep your eyes open for those (the Chris Ward forum mentioned above is a good place to start). I bought a C60 recently and used a ?50 off voucher that was kicking about at the time to bring the price down.

My wrists are too skinny to even consider any of the Tunas. They've got quite a following though.

Some Tunas really aren't that big and chunky as you might think. The SQ 7549 and SBBN017 ones I have are quite low profile compared to a lot of boutique divers you see. They aren't that heavy either. They tend to seem too bulky on their curved vent rubber bands but if you stick them on the right bracelet they are transformed into relatively mid-sized watches in modern terms. My Golden Tuna is a big bigger though. A bit like an ice hockey puck. And there are even bigger ones.

Saw this pic earlier and thought of Victorian.

An Explorer with the cyclops removed. Looks good!

a3WPqz5.png

Cyclops (the plural thereof I know not what). A bit marmite. I don't mind 'em personally and I think the small, unmagnified date looks silly without one.

I don't use the bracelet on mine either. I might stick it back on though.

I love the cyclops. Any Rolex without it doesn't look right, though of course they don't all have it, just seems right somehow.

Not that I can read dates anyway with my piss poor eyesight.

Love the cyclops too. I guess the point wasn't that it looked better, just that it had been removed and yet it still looked good. In my opinion anyway. I was also quite surprised to learn that it seems more common a thing to do with a lot of enthusiasts than I'd have expected.

Been looking at a Raymond Weil Maestro for a while. The one I'm after always seems to be priced ?850 at best, but I just stumbled across it in Costco for ?600. Almost bought it on the spot. What's the thoughts from our experts on Raymond Weil?

This is the watch in question

Edit: I failed miserably in embedding the picture. Here's a link to the watch http://www.raymond-weil.com/en/mens-watches/watch-finder/maestro/maestro-2851-stc-00659/ it should be noted that the hands aren't as blue as they look in the picture.

Edited by IronJambo

Same here.

Heretic.

I had a wander in town today and noticed that Tudor are in the shops already after their relaunch. Some very nice looking pieces from them.

RW watches are among a group of makers I've never had any interest in. For no other reason than there being so much else out there. People do rate them but they aren't all that popular with collecters to be fair. Probably underrated in effect.

I've just bought an old skool gold Rado Diastar. Basically a wrist mounted tiara. :) I don't normally do overt bling. But I've always fancied one and I do like Rados.

Edited by Victorian

RW watches are among a group of makers I've never had any interest in. For no other reason than there being so much else out there. People do rate them but they aren't all that popular with collecters to be fair. Probably underrated in effect.

I've just bought an old skool gold Rado Diastar. Basically a wrist mounted tiara. :) I don't normally do overt bling. But I've always fancied one and I do like Rados.

Any pics of the Rado?

Edited by Carl Weathers

Any pics of the Rado?

Not yet as not yet arrived. It's a bi-metal old school style helmet shaped case with faceted crystal and 'diamond' markers. I might get another if a decent example of the harlequin design dial comes up for sale.

Interesting company, I like the look of some of their older watches, especially the divers, but I can't stand the modern ones, a bit marmite I suppose.

Hugh Phamism

Pre-Owned watch sale on at Laings, Frederick Street next week

THE PRE OWNED WATCH ROADSHOW

9TH - 12TH OCTOBER

Kicks off on Thursday 9TH October with special late opening until 8pm

Laing Edinburgh, 29 Frederick St

Nice Ladies Cartier Tank going for ?1995, and a Rolex Explorer II for ?3950 + many others. Free Champagne...

Been following this thread for awhile but can't remember if these have been mentoned..

http://www.russia4u.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=677SD

Anyone got any knowledge on the Vostok range? Amphibia in particular?

Seems a serious amount of watch for the money... (200m, automatic. ?60..ish..!)

Russians, especially Vostoks, are very popular among collecters. And you're quite right... they are generally very good value. That sort of price is retail but you can pick them up on ebay for much less.

There are original Vostoks of hundreds of different variations, inc the Amphibia divers and Komandirske military watches. There are many non military models too. There are more modern day made Amphibian range watches being sold as well. Most notably from the Meranom website. Then there's the Vostok Europe brand. These use a similar kind of movements used in the original Vostoks and it was originally a Lithuanian registered company to create a premium range of Vostok. Lithuanian in order to create easier trade in the EU and beyond. Poljot did the same with the Poljot International brand.

Incredibly, given the very modest value of basic Vostoks, there are fake ones out there. That just goes to show how universally in demand they are that someone would think it's worth producing fakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a geeky post this. But the AR coating on my watch never ceases to impress me. Just took this 10 mins ago with the light shining down on it.

9PCU8Ay.jpg

Anyway, still hunting about for a dress watch and this Longines has caught my eye. What's Longines like as a brand?

Probably not to everyone's taste this.

SaYaeOW.jpg

That's quite a watch Sten. Some impressive complications.

Retrograde UTC, date, day and power reserve. Moonphase and day-night indicator. Nice engineers blue hands. Spoiled a bit by the guilloche dial and Roman numerals imo. Not sure about the two different type faces in the Arabic numerals between the retrograde registers and the rehaut. Too much going on at once for me but overall it's a right looker.

Edited by Victorian

Mr Brightside

Bit of a geeky post this. But the AR coating on my watch never ceases to impress me. Just took this 10 mins ago with the light shining down on it.

9PCU8Ay.jpg

Anyway, still hunting about for a dress watch and this Longines has caught my eye. What's Longines like as a brand?

SaYaeOW.jpg

I think Longines are a good brand. That watch is too busy for my taste for a dress watch.

What would you guys recommend as a dress watch?

Brown leather and a light dial appeal to me.

Check out the Junghans Max Bill watches. Minimalist Bauhaus design.

Carl Weathers

What would you guys recommend as a dress watch?

Brown leather and a light dial appeal to me.

Vintage Omega Seamaster? Might be a bit small for you though. I think my Geneve is 34.5mm

I like it Sten. The complications are cool. How much is it?

I think Baume et Mercier make really cool, reasonably priced dress watches.

SaYaeOW.jpg

That's a great picture of the watch. I really liked it for a while but when I saw it in the flesh I was a bit underwhelmed tbh.

I like Longines though. They make a lot of good looking watches and are fairly reasonably priced.

AlphonseCapone

Nice - the Hydroconquest? Where did you pick it up?

It is that. Got it up at a jewellers in Livingston, Barclays Diamonds, got a good deal. Wasn't the one I was initially interested in but fell in love when I tried it on.

Was in Laings for a wee look on Tuesday. They really have some beautiful but over priced stuff.

I was looking at the B+M Classima with the ticking heartbeat on the front face. I can see it for ?1600 for amazon, ?1664 at Iconic and they said ?2100. Mentioned this to one of their guys (very friendly, knowledgeable and not pushy in the slightest) and he said he'd see what he could do with the price. Came back a minute later and said ?1800. I got the impression I could maybe have pushed him further if I really wanted to buy the watch there and then. Goes to show that they will do you a deal if you push it.

Still not decided on the watch either.

My mate (total watch snob) says B+M are "half way" watches and I should just hold out until I have more cash to get another piece that I really, really want. I really dig this watch though. It's very dressy, nice and slim and it's unusual with the ticking heartbeat on the front.

As for where to buy it from, would you guys pay ?1600 at Amazon (sellers 2 year warranty), Iconic (2 year manufacturers warranty) or say ?1700 at Laings where I'll be able to go and see them myself if there's ever any problem (and 2 year manufacturers warranty?)

Was in Laings for a wee look on Tuesday. They really have some beautiful but over priced stuff.

I was looking at the B+M Classima with the ticking heartbeat on the front face. I can see it for ?1600 for amazon, ?1664 at Iconic and they said ?2100. Mentioned this to one of their guys (very friendly, knowledgeable and not pushy in the slightest) and he said he'd see what he could do with the price. Came back a minute later and said ?1800. I got the impression I could maybe have pushed him further if I really wanted to buy the watch there and then. Goes to show that they will do you a deal if you push it.

Still not decided on the watch either.

My mate (total watch snob) says B+M are "half way" watches and I should just hold out until I have more cash to get another piece that I really, really want. I really dig this watch though. It's very dressy, nice and slim and it's unusual with the ticking heartbeat on the front.

As for where to buy it from, would you guys pay ?1600 at Amazon (sellers 2 year warranty), Iconic (2 year manufacturers warranty) or say ?1700 at Laings where I'll be able to go and see them myself if there's ever any problem (and 2 year manufacturers warranty?)

For the sake of ?100/200 I would buy it in Laings.

I have heard the same snobbery about B&M. I don't get it tbh. For me, if you like a watch buy it. I don't buy watches for other people to enjoy.

We'd all like money to be limitless - but it isn't. Buy what you like and what makes you happy.

Or...get a zero percent finance deal and spunk as much credit as they'll allow you to :)

For any of the Christopher Ward appreciators - they are currently designing their 'Forum Limited Edition' - if you sign up for their independent forum you get a say in what is made.

They are currently accepting potential designs for it.

I am rubbish at photo shop so haven't submitted anything yet - there are two models you can 'design', the C5 slimline mechanical and the C65 classic.

If anyone is a photoshop/design wizard I'd appreciate some help!