Watches

jack D and coke

I've recently bought up a couple of Omega f300Hz electronics. A Seamaster cone case and a Constellation gold plated dressier type. Both have the full set of original box and papers with chronometer certificates, which is quite rare. The cone was owned from new by the previous owner and the Conny was an inscribed 30 year service presentation piece of a since deceased California based oil company employee. Case back inscriptions usually harm the value but that doesn't matter so much.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The BLNR is a really cracking watch. Nice one! Much nicer than the standard black dial GMT Master II.

It's so popular Iconic actually charge MORE than the RRP.

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex-gmt-master-ii-stainless-steel-black-and-blue-116710blnr.html

The new Pepsi one is cracking but only available in white gold.

tdUy830.png

jyQMunf.png

Yeh, i actually thought about going to iconic given the quoted 6-8 month wait, as of yesterday they were only asking for ?6030, so for the sake of ?80 I thought I might forgo the wait, however I got the email earlier and was delighted, then was looking on iconic for a photo to show a mate and noticed they had bumped the price up even further today to ?6200.

I seen the platinum version in store, I think those pictures make it look better than what it is though, don't get me wrong it is a stunning watch, but the blue and red bezel is not very vibrant in real life (I believe it's something to do with being almost impossible to inject red in to ceramic, so the red came out very dull, although may be wrong on that just remember reading it a while back), still a very nice watch though, its just the bezel didn't look as good as I imagined it would.

The usual sports model tapering bracelet. Rolex's blind spot. I never used the one for my Explorer and flogged it. Other than that, the GMT looks great.

I've recently bought up a couple of Omega f300Hz electronics. A Seamaster cone case and a Constellation gold plated dressier type. Both have the full set of original box and papers with chronometer certificates, which is quite rare. The cone was owned from new by the previous owner and the Conny was an inscribed 30 year service presentation piece of a since deceased California based oil company employee. Case back inscriptions usually harm the value but that doesn't matter so much.

Pictures of those please. Would be cool to get a look.

Sten, I know absolutely feck all about cars but I like your new grill better. Looks the part.

I've been saving for another watch but this time I want one with a steel bracelet. My collection at the moment all have leather straps or Nato straps.

I like the moonphase moonwatches, the navitimer world's with steel bracelets and Rolex Deepsea's from a few years ago that don't have the huge Gas Valve lettering.

Not really sure which is my preferred at the moment. Had thought of the Zenith El Primero Synopsis with the bracelet but they were quite disappointing in the flesh. The face was smaller and the bracelet was duller than I expected. It just didn't look anything special. You guys have any other idea for a piece that would cost less than say 5 or 6k in UK money?

I had a look at the anthracite Tag 1887 carrera last week and it was very nice. Also quite cheap over here in Australia as the Aussie dollar has lost so much value over the last few years. I've already got a caliber 16 heritage Carerra and a Monaco so I wouldn't want another Tag though.

I'll try my best. I always have trouble trying to post pics but I should be able to post library pics at least.

On bracelets. My Speedmaster Moonwatch has a really good quality feel about the bracelet. One of the best I've seen. I think Omega just get it right when it comes to the ergonomics and integration of their links, clasps and end pieces. Nothing ever annoys. So to that end if the bracelet is important then Omega is maybe the place to go.

Edited by Victorian

Captain_Peacock

I was reading recently that Rolex haven't actually put their prices up on the majority of their models since 2012, although I do get what you are saying as on the same article it did also point out that they escalated prices in a big way between the late 90's and late 00's.

However, I have actually just taking the plunge on one myself, put my name on the waiting list for the GMT Master II (BLNR) only last week, and was told it would be a 6-8 month wait (due to demand), then got contacted this morning to say it would be available next Friday, the next week could be a slow one.

The transition from tool to luxury pricing imo  I think has taken place over a number of decades. A blog to watch did a great article on the subject here http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-prices-past-60-years-revealing-analysis/ The piece includes a great graphic which shows the increase in no date sub price against the inflation adjusted price (I think I may have posted this before, apologies if that's the case).

Rolex-Submariner-No-Date-Price-Increase-

I think Rolex have increased their UK revenue this year by reducing their AD commissions which is good news for British buyers (& possibly an effort by Rolex to reduce AD discounting). The UK pricing situation isn't global, Rolex have increased prices on other territories, Rolex announced an 8% price increase in Japan and there have been increases within some Euro Zone countries allthough I think the majority of Euro Zone countries have held their price (for some reason prices seem to have increased in Denmark and Greece of all places).

Well done on the GMT Master II, I'm slavering with envy.

The transition from tool to luxury pricing imo  I think has taken place over a number of decades. A blog to watch did a great article on the subject here http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-prices-past-60-years-revealing-analysis/ The piece includes a great graphic which shows the increase in no date sub price against the inflation adjusted price (I think I may have posted this before, apologies if that's the case).

Rolex-Submariner-No-Date-Price-Increase-

I think Rolex have increased their UK revenue this year by reducing their AD commissions which is good news for British buyers (& possibly an effort by Rolex to reduce AD discounting). The UK pricing situation isn't global, Rolex have increased prices on other territories, Rolex announced an 8% price increase in Japan and there have been increases within some Euro Zone countries allthough I think the majority of Euro Zone countries have held their price (for some reason prices seem to have increased in Denmark and Greece of all places).

Well done on the GMT Master II, I'm slavering with envy.

Good article, thanks for that. Yeh, sorry I was only talking about the UK market in relation to the price increases, the same article mentioned that they had increased in the euro zone this year (I think, certainly in the last couple of years anyway, can't remember exactly).

Captain_Peacock

Good article, thanks for that. Yeh, sorry I was only talking about the UK market in relation to the price increases, the same article mentioned that they had increased in the euro zone this year (I think, certainly in the last couple of years anyway, can't remember exactly).

To be honest the only important thing is that you got a watch you're happy with at price you're happy with. I'm hoping you're going to give us Sten type updates once the watch arrives.

Here you go Cosa.   A couple of rough shots of the recent electronics.     Lots of other makers like Eterna,   Longines,   Tissot,   IWC and others produced electronic watches under license from Bulova.    But I don't think any of the others quite matched Omega's styling of badging and dial text.     I've bought,  sold and flipped quite a few hummers but I would like to start a small collection of them.     The bubbling effect texture on the cone case is actually supposed to be like that but as you can see,   the dial glaze is perished in places on the edge.

cone1.jpg

conny4.jpg

post-11947-0-32462700-1434190871_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-74385300-1434190899_thumb.jpg

If Rolex ever make a steel Skydweler I'll be trading my watch and demanding the bank give me money. :lol;

They'll never do it though.

To be honest the only important thing is that you got a watch you're happy with at price you're happy with. I'm hoping you're going to give us Sten type updates once the watch arrives.

Yeh, delighted with the purchase, I'll try and put up some photos next week after I pick it up.

Here you go Cosa.   A couple of rough shots of the recent electronics.     Lots of other makers like Eterna,   Longines,   Tissot,   IWC and others produced electronic watches under license from Bulova.    But I don't think any of the others quite matched Omega's styling of badging and dial text.     I've bought,  sold and flipped quite a few hummers but I would like to start a small collection of them.     The bubbling effect texture on the cone case is actually supposed to be like that but as you can see,   the dial glaze is perished in places on the edge.

cone1.jpg

conny4.jpg

Both very cool. 

They look like they have small faces though. How big are they?

• 3 weeks later...

I've always worn Rotary watches. Think that will be frowned upon on this thread.

I'm going to Poland next week and have found someone selling a Tissot PR50. To be honest it looks like my ideal watch. Right size, not being bling and from a reputable watch company. The price is 640zl which by my reckoning is 130ish GBP.

Image from buyer shows this watch;

http://www.classybrand.com/watch_photo/Tissot/T34.1.481.32.jpg

So, does this seem a bargain or not?

Edited by BudgeUp

TheMaganator

Just purchased the original MKII from the late 60s/early 70s.

It'll need a bit of TLC but should look superb once finished.

BA0BD1E2-0DDE-4AF6-BFDD-888F4D798ED3_zps

Just purchased the original MKII from the late 60s/early 70s.

It'll need a bit of TLC but should look superb once finished.BA0BD1E2-0DDE-4AF6-BFDD-%C4%AF888F4D798E

Very cool.

What else do you have in your collection?

Breitling Barnato just been purchased by workmate..very nice but I'd be too scared to use it at that price.

They are very striking in appearance but I'm not a fan. The big roped looking shiny bezel just looks odd to me. Exquisite timepiece but definitely a love it or hate it i think. How much was it?

Craig Gordons Gloves

The wife's 40th is coming up and i'd like to get her a decent watch from the year she was born.  To be honest, i'm clueless as to where to start so any suggestions would be most welcome. She likes silver and the more understated the better. 

The wife's 40th is coming up and i'd like to get her a decent watch from the year she was born. To be honest, i'm clueless as to where to start so any suggestions would be most welcome. She likes silver and the more understated the better.

What about a 1975 Rolex DateJust.

Example;

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261941387207&globalID=EBAY-GB

They are very striking in appearance but I'm not a fan. The big roped looking shiny bezel just looks odd to me. Exquisite timepiece but definitely a love it or hate it i think. How much was it?

?7000 !!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My watch stopped after not wearing it for a few days so I went to set the time and wind it back up.

When moving the minute hand I noticed the second hand acting strangely. Jumping back and forth. (See YouTube video below)

Never seen this before. Does anyone know if that's normal? Wouldn't imagine so.

After setting the time and winding the watch up to full power, I tried to change the time again and it's stopped occurring.

Was still a little concerned though. Nipped to the gym, came home, the watch had stopped 2 hours after a full wind. So something's definitely wrong. Tried to wind it up and it won't start at all now.

I've taken it to Goldsmiths at Ocean Terminal and they're sending off to Omega for a warranty repair. 6 to 8 weeks wait. :(

P.s yeah I know it needs a clean. :lol:

http://youtu.be/rImLFP9Kygw

Edited by Sten Guns

Hugh Phamism

I know that on my Breitling I'm not supposed to either wind it, or change the time between certain hours.

Last week I tried to change the date (only 30 days in June) but I couldn't move it forward. The time was after 10pm. Next morning, the date changed OK.

It would appear that there are some strange mechanisms and linkages on these precision automatics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sten, I've been looking at the Sochi olympics Planet Ocean for a while and I've seen a load of people having the same problem with Planet Oceans. It's kind of put me off a little.

What model exactly is your one? Looks great.

Hugh is right about not winding it at night. I don't fully understand why but all of my watches say at some point in the paperwork that they shouldn't be wound in the evenings.

Victorian will know most likely.

Planet Ocean Chronograph 9300.

I've asked on WatchUSeek and this particular issue was unbeknown to anyone there anyway.

Interesting what Hugh said there because the hour hand was at 10 when I was changing the time in that video....

Edited by Sten Guns

Doing a quick change date adjustment when the hands are near 12 o'clock can cause damage on some watches. But I haven't heard of a similar issue re setting and winding. That's a bummer but at least it will get sorted. Quite a long wait though.

Google "planet ocean sochi problem" Sten and see if anything pops up.

I'm pretty sure that I googled "planet ocean sochi review" and found a thread or threads about a similar problem.

I've not bought a watch for a few months now and I'm getting the itch. 

Worryingly it is quite late and I'm drinking a nice red and may finish the bottle. This combined with internet access could be an issue.

Did you buy anthing Taz? Alas, I have. As ever.

Self control kicked in. Though I may find myself looking at the site again and pulling the trigger. 

Nothing special, just an interestingly designed 1970's Citizen automatic. The old Citizens from then are on a par with Seiko in terms of quality but have never had the reputation outside the Far East for some reason. 

Self control kicked in. Though I may find myself looking at the site again and pulling the trigger.

Nothing special, just an interestingly designed 1970's Citizen automatic. The old Citizens from then are on a par with Seiko in terms of quality but have never had the reputation outside the Far East for some reason.

I think vintage Citizens are every bit as regarded as vintage Seikos. Just not as popular to collect. There are much more Seikos on the market than Citizen for a start. I tend to think that, on average, Seikos from the 60s and 70s are more reliable and require less servicing than their Citizen equivalents. I'm still on the lookout for a nice Citizen Leopard Super Beat 10.

I like it. I wouldn't spend 4.5k on it though. That seems way too much for that piece.

Not sure I'd buy a 007 watch either. It's a wee bit tacky. The reverse crystal and vortex looks amazing though.

If you're after that style of watch at that price point I would personally go for the Rolex Date Just ii. ?4080.

p9wgRP1.jpg

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex-datejust-ii-blue-index-oyster-116300.html

Or if you really wanted an Aqua Terra similar can be had for ?2940.

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-chronometer-231-10-42-21-03-003.html

XJUV4ob.jpg

• 1 month later...
The People's Chimp

Looking for a bit of advice, how much would/should one pay for a vintage  - say 70s  - automatic seamaster like these:

10060.jpg

10354%201.jpg

I'd say between about ?500 and ?600. Maybe a bit more if it's just been serviced and it's in really nice condition. 

That's a nice one.

How big is the face? Does it have an Omega strap and buckle? It looks like a manual wind from the large crown. Vintage watches can be very small. I sold my gold vintage Omega because it just looked too wee on my wrist.

Have a look at an Heuer Monza if you like that shape. I think they're seriously cool.

The People's Chimp

Aye, online is a minefield in terms of sizing. 34mm width without the crown. What size was the one you sold?

Can get it for ?400, it's not an original strap unfortunately. 

Nothing wrong with smaller cases. They actually better suit bigger wrists rather than small wrists. If put on an appropriate band. Round cases seem a bit smaller but those kind of 'tonneau' shaped cases are just fine if they are about 35mm upwards.

Those are Ebay pics. It's a real minefield regarding full authenticity because many vintage pieces have been recased or have had non original movements swapped out. Re-dials or refinished dials, etc. But if you just accept that you may well be buying a bit of a Trigger's Broom then yoy can pick up some great watches.

Those pics are from a business seller. They are unvariably higher priced than those sold by private sellers. But some vintage watch business sellers will provide 6 or 12 months warranty.

Just picked up this interestingly wonky dialled Citizen for not a lot of money. If you are the type of person who likes to be able to change what they are wearing a lot then you can pick up really interesting well made Japanese pieces for reasonable money. Just avoid buying from India as they tend to be botched together or have bad redials. fc4bc21d9623e0c202eb7922c1286455.jpg

Edited by Tazio

Just picked up this interestingly wonky dialled Citizen for not a lot of money. If you are the type of person who likes to be able to change what they are wearing a lot then you can pick up really interesting well made Japanese pieces for reasonable money. Just avoid buying from India as they tend to be botched together or have bad redials. fc4bc21d9623e0c202eb7922c1286455.jpg

Not bad. Interesting dial. It has a slight regatta / yacht timer look with the yellow sector from 12 to 4. Looks almost like one of those apnea style chronograph counters you see on a Seamaster Apnea or Memosail Yacht Timer. But I see no chronograph pusher so it seems to just be a nice design. Edited by Victorian

The People's Chimp

Just ordered a 70s/80s rado voyager after losing out on a vintage Omega seamaster cosmic. Reading back through the thread, I went and checked out the Vostoks, some really interesting watches for peanuts. Might order one of  them as well.