• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Called Goldsmiths this morning. I use Pure Gym at Ocean Terminal so it's handy for me.

They said it would cost ?10 for a valuation certificate and ?10 for bracelt adjustment.

So I went in at 4pm after work. Was served by the branch manager. Told him what I was after and brought out the box. He opened it and immediately said, "Wow, that's some watch".

He then started enthusiastically talking about the co-axial movement and the history of it etc. Then showed me the case back and explained how it worked with regard to powering itself. Finally speaking about a clutch and various other things I don't understand. :lol:

Anyway he went through the back with the watch and inserted the half link for me. (Fits like a dream now). He then made me up the valuation certificate thingy. Stamped it etc.

I pulled out my wallet to pay and he said, "No no, your okay. That's a lovely watch mate. Enjoy".

Outstanding. Though I was spending ?20 today. Top man.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What's the resident experts opinions on the Omega Moonwatch? After a fair bit of tooing and frowing I finally made a decision and bought one. I was fully intending getting the Breitling Colt which I had my eye on for quite some time. Really liked the look of the Moonwatch though and plumped for it instead.post-658-0-35001000-1402437708_thumb.jpg

TheMaganator

What's the resident experts opinions on the Omega Moonwatch? After a fair bit of tooing and frowing I finally made a decision and bought one. I was fully intending getting the Breitling Colt which I had my eye on for quite some time. Really liked the look of the Moonwatch though and plumped for it instead.post-658-0-35001000-1402437708_thumb.jpg

A classic watch. Lovely.

Where did you pick it up?

Much better than the Colt IMO

I got it through in Glasgow Ernest Jones yesterday. Was going to just order it online but wanted to try it on and get it fitted properly. Glasgow were the nearest dealers they would send it to. Can't believe none of the Edinburgh shops stock Omega. It was Inverness after that!

My only gripe is there's no date on the watch. Believe it or not I hadn't noticed till I tried it on. By that time it was too late though, I was smitten! Didn't realise until today how many times I checked the date on my watch!! A small price to pay I think.

Managed to get them to knock it down a fair bit as well. A little over 10% off. :)

Excellent choice.

The speedy is much nicer than the Colt.

Still loving mine. Sad how often I find myself just looking at it and taking pictures. :lol:

DAwTO42.jpg

YzvEcwG.jpg

4YWFU10.jpg

I know it's green but I can't shake off my obsession with this.

Would badword LOVE it.

OCb1qxJ.png

I got it through in Glasgow Ernest Jones yesterday. Was going to just order it online but wanted to try it on and get it fitted properly. Glasgow were the nearest dealers they would send it to. Can't believe none of the Edinburgh shops stock Omega. It was Inverness after that!

My only gripe is there's no date on the watch. Believe it or not I hadn't noticed till I tried it on. By that time it was too late though, I was smitten! Didn't realise until today how many times I checked the date on my watch!! A small price to pay I think.

Managed to get them to knock it down a fair bit as well. A little over 10% off. :)

laings on Frederick street stock omega

I know it's green but I can't shake off my obsession with this.

Would badword LOVE it.

OCb1qxJ.png

Horrible IMO.

Most of the lower end Rolex watches look terrible.

Horrible IMO.

Most of the lower end Rolex watches look terrible.

I don't like the colour of the face and bezel, but a sub dates not a low end Rolex.

I don't like the colour of the face and bezel, but a sub dates not a low end Rolex.

Are they not about ?5k? Definitely cheaper end of the Rolex spectrum.

Well that's it ordered. Apparently going take up to 21 days for them to source it.

Good wee review here that starts at 5 mins 16.

http://youtu.be/nuJDsCe2caM

I'm thinking about ordering a watch from icnoic watches soon and just wanted to know if you ordered it over the internet/phone or did you go down and visit the shop?

Take it there were no issues in ordering the watch and getting it delivered etc...?

Edited by jvm32

Are they not about ?5k? Definitely cheaper end of the Rolex spectrum.

?5700 I think now. Of all their standard models, only the Daytona, Yachtmaster and Day Date are more expensive (the Deepsea and Sea Dwellers are too but both look almost identical to a sub). Beyond the standard models, you're just paying for bling and IMO, the worst looking Rolexes are the ?30k diamond-crusted ones (I'm not a fan of Day Dates for that reason).

?5700 I think now. Of all their standard models, only the Daytona, Yachtmaster and Day Date are more expensive (the Deepsea and Sea Dwellers are too but both look almost identical to a sub). Beyond the standard models, you're just paying for bling and IMO, the worst looking Rolexes are the ?30k diamond-crusted ones (I'm not a fan of Day Dates for that reason).

I see. I think a lot of Rolex watches look quite tacky tbh.

No matter how much money I had, I wouldn't buy a diamond encrusted watch.

I think some of the Rolex Daytona's look amazing though. The plain gold ones look great but not the two tone ones. They look tacky as hell.

I'm thinking about ordering a watch from icnoic watches soon and just wanted to know if you ordered it over the internet/phone or did you go down and visit the shop?

Take it there were no issues in ordering the watch and getting it delivered etc...?

Ordered online. Didn't visit shop.

Whole process was pain free and would definitely use them again.

Savings are incredible.

A black no date sub is sexual too.

Can't believe anyone could describe it as terrible. :(

Gorgeous IMO!

t92rNAl.jpg

nsCkfZH.jpg

z0wmgAI.jpg

Dsv1kP1.jpg

Not into the coloured enamel faces and bezels. They look a bit Del-boy and lack class IMO.

I do think they look pleasingly chunky and scream high build quality though. The sharp metal lines and serrated bezel look great.

How much is that one Sten? The black is certainly better than the green.

I see. I think a lot of Rolex watches look quite tacky tbh.

No matter how much money I had, I wouldn't buy a diamond encrusted watch.

I think some of the Rolex Daytona's look amazing though. The plain gold ones look great but not the two tone ones. They look tacky as hell.

If I had unlimited cash, a plain steel Daytona would be near the top of my list. Gorgeous watch and a busy enough face that bling only detracts from it.

Ordered online. Didn't visit shop.

Whole process was pain free and would definitely use them again.

Savings are incredible.

Cheers for the info, aye the savings are too good to turn down.

Not into the coloured enamel faces and bezels. They look a bit Del-boy and lack class IMO.

I do think they look pleasingly chunky and scream high build quality though. The sharp metal lines and serrated bezel look great.

How much is that one Sten? The black is certainly better than the green.

That's ?4500.

Captain_Peacock

I think you made a great choice, enjoy it.

On the Rolex sub, classic for me. When the watch was introduced it's sale price was targeted at an average man's monthly wage (unlike the 50 fathoms), they've moved along way from the initial price policy but that in part might explain where it's pitched.

Let's face it the hulk version isn't going to receive the most love on a hearts forum, if i had the choice i'd go for a no date sub but each to their own and all that.

The rolex sub is the most copied watch in the world, there's a reason that's the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain_Peacock

Sten have I converted you, from memory earlier I favoured the no date sub(don't like the cyclops) and you were all for sub with date (said a sub without cyclops was like madonna without the gap in the teeth)?

Also what was the mrs response to the arrival of the omega?

Sten have I converted you, from memory earlier I favoured the no date sub(don't like the cyclops) and you were all for sub with date (said a sub without cyclops was like madonna without the gap in the teeth)?

Also what was the mrs response to the arrival of the omega?

I've been spending far too much time looking at pictures of Subs on WatchUSeek. Think I've came round to the no date.

The misses was pee'd off at first. Calling it a "waste of money". She's been educated now and understands. :)

Slightly off topic but McIntyre's in Frederick Street who I've always found good value for money have started second hand watches such as Rolex, Seconda, Patek Philippe amongst others.

TheMaganator

Slightly off topic but McIntyre's in Frederick Street who I've always found good value for money have started second hand watches such as Rolex, Seconda, Patek Philippe amongst others.

Do you need to be a member for that place?

Heres one on gumtree at the moment ,cant add picture

Hi I am selling a rare vintage Omega TV dial Seamaster from the late 70s with first date of sale in 1982,

The watch and strap are stainless steel and the dial is the rare charcoal version not a refinished painted silver to black version,

The strap no 1330/326 is the correct strap for this watch, the case 366.0866 and movement numbers are documented on the original omega papers which are also correct ,

The watch has an Omega 1020 Calibre automatic 17 jewel movement,

The case measures approx 35mm with the face being around 30 mm square,

I have spent some time researching the provenance of this model and have only ever seen 2 silver faced versions .

The glass on this watch is perfect and the case and strap have a few minor scratches due to the age of this timepiece,

I am looking for offers in the region of ?600

Or may swap for another watch, comes with the original box and papers,

Do you need to be a member for that place?

Yes. It's been a while since i joined and then it was basically just signing up. Don't know what the current system is now though. Doubt it has changed very much though.

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I would bump this one up a bit... Cracking thread

Getting a watch for my 30th.... Been looking at this Hamilton number and thought I would get the option of kickbacks finest

HAMILTON GENTS KHAKI PILOT WATCH

H64715535 (Google image search)

Thoughts? Really like this style .... Sorry can't post any pics! Budget is around ?500

TheMaganator

Thought I would bump this one up a bit... Cracking thread

Getting a watch for my 30th.... Been looking at this Hamilton number and thought I would get the option of kickbacks finest

HAMILTON GENTS KHAKI PILOT WATCH

H64715535 (Google image search)

Thoughts? Really like this style .... Sorry can't post any pics! Budget is around ?500

This one?

81FF2E28-9D7E-4F01-9990-2F8FF5785A2A-3849-0000044459E53E8B_zpsa2a478f7.jpg

I like Hamilton as a brand. They're a solid & well established affordable maker.

I'm a fan of the Hamilton pan Europ which you can pick up for around ?700

Edited by TheMaganator

Captain_Peacock

Dodger I'd echo TheMaganator's comments on Hamilton generally as a brand, they seem to be decent quality and value and imo a respected brand.

I think the watch you mentioned comes in 2 sizes, 38 mm and 46 mm.

If you're considering the 46 mm you're going to need forearms like Sten to be able to carry it off.

Where's the best place to buy a michael kors watch at a reasonable price? Was having a look on amazon but a bit wary about them being genuine or not.

Captain_Peacock

Jonny T I can't tell you where the best place is to purchase a michael kors watch & whilst I'm a believer in "each to their own" & all that I don't believe "fashion watches" in general deliver good value.

Usually they're made by a 3rd party under license and both companies need to make a margin (I think michael kors are manufactured by Fossil), I'd say you could get better value by purchasing from a watch maker (Seiko for example).

Best of luck what ever you decide to do.

Where's the best place to buy a michael kors watch at a reasonable price? Was having a look on amazon but a bit wary about them being genuine or not.

Don't do it!

Every man and their dug seems to be getting one.

They're really feminine looking as well IMO!

Jonny T I can't tell you where the best place is to purchase a michael kors watch & whilst I'm a believer in "each to their own" & all that I don't believe "fashion watches" in general deliver good value.

Usually they're made by a 3rd party under license and both companies need to make a margin (I think michael kors are manufactured by Fossil), I'd say you could get better value by purchasing from a watch maker (Seiko for example).

Best of luck what ever you decide to do.

Also agree with the Seiko advice. Good shout.

Talking of watch sizes I do think I'm getting away with the 45.5mm but don't think I'd ever go larger.

2UcsGtd.png

Edited by Sten Guns

Lol. Its no for me. Its the girlfriends birthday in 2 weeks and she's been hinting about one.

Ah fair enough then!

Don't think you'll have an issues with amazon to be honest.

Captain_Peacock

Lol. Its no for me. Its the girlfriends birthday in 2 weeks and she's been hinting about one.

I think giving the other half what they want for their birthday is the right policy.

Captain_Peacock

Talking of watch sizes I do think I'm getting away with the 45.5mm but don't think I'd ever go larger.

I usually aim for 40 mm - 42 mm, however Sinn now have an authorised dealer with a bricks and mortar shop in the Victorian Quarter in Leeds which is just up the road from me. I've been ringing my hands over various 44 mm U series watches since my discovery.

Notbrainwashed

Used Amazon for that very purpose. No problem whatsoever

TheMaganator

They are actually the featured deal on Groupon today

http://www.groupon.c...17-122-41903367

EDIT: Scratch that - cheaper on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=michael%20kors%20watch&sprefix=michael%2Caps%2C193

Edited by TheMaganator

Hamilton Khaki is a good watch for the money. On a related note, the watch Christopher Walken had 'up his ass' in Pulp Fuction was a Hamilton (apparently).

I've been back and forth about what watch to get now for the past 6 months+, my latest thinking is to go for the IWC Portofino Chronograph, tried it on a few weeks back and really liked it, but may delay the decision for another month or two just to make sure, as I have changed my mind a couple of times since I made my mind up I was going to spend that kind of money on watch.

When I tried on the chronograph it was actually another watch I went in to try on initially, but that caught my eye, so just want to make sure I'm happy with it before spending that kind of money.

Edited by jvm32