• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And as often happens with these things I've just got an e-mail from E Bay saying I won the other item I had a bid on. Also ?27 oddly enough.

This one a 1960's Favre-Leuba Sea Chief. An interesting company that were one of the few that manufactured in house movements. Like Roamer they lost their way a bit when the whole quartz watch thing came around.

$_12.JPG

This arrived today, decent condition for the price. It will need a new strap as the one in the photo isn't real leather. And unusually for a vintage off eBay is keeping perfect time so far. I did a bit more research and the watch has an unusual system where you get twice as long from one winding as it has two main springs. My nicest find yet.

It's also big for a 40+ year old watch so doesn't look undersized compared to moderns.

Edited by Tazio

Sten Guns

:lol:

Takes up to 21 days to source and deliver.

Iconic are reputable. I've no worries.

Hugh Phamism

Takes up to 21 days to source and deliver.

From China...???

Only kidding, nice looking timepiece.

:2thumbsup:

Captain_Peacock

Sten gone all quiet on his watch purchase?

Knock of Nigel website?

Grey market & they're up front about it. As long as you know what you're getting and are ok with it I don't see the problem, I've read positive reports about them amongst the WIS online community and have been to their premises in Blackburn.

I'm 99.9% certain you're pulling Sten's leg but thought I post the above in case others didn't realise.

Angry Haggis

Yep - just a gentle leg tug from me. I'm sure Sten has done all his research on the company before splashing his missus savings.

:jjyay:

Captain_Peacock

Yep - just a gentle leg tug from me. I'm sure Sten has done all his research on the company before splashing his missus savings.

:jjyay:

I'd be interested to hear how she responds once the watch arrives.

jimmyjambo

bought a watch from Iconic about a month or so ago, no problems, they said it would take 2-3weeks, i think it took 3 weeks, quite plain and not as fancy as Stens, but I like it

photo4_zpsc4293933.jpg?t=1398959449

Captain_Peacock

bought a watch from Iconic about a month or so ago, no problems, they said it would take 2-3weeks, i think it took 3 weeks, quite plain and not as fancy as Stens, but I like it

Looks good to me.

Sten Guns

I'd be interested to hear how she responds once the watch arrives.

:lol:

She still doesn't know I've ordered one.

She actually asked me the other day if I'd found one I liked yet.

An aqua terra I think?

Think they're gorgeous too mate.

Very nice.

Angry Haggis

Very nice. (Date's wrong though)

Sten Guns

It's landed with Iconic. Dispatched tomorrow. Meaning arrives Friday.

Tad excited. I'll celebrate like this man! Haha

qBvriT8.jpg

Sten Guns

Nice watch Sten, looks daft on his skinny wrist tho

7.25" better be fine. :lol:

I'm already looking at what I would buy next.

Is this really gonna get addictive.

:muggy:

Captain_Peacock

Is this really gonna get addictive.

:muggy:

Yes & have you enlightened the Mrs yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sten Guns

Yes & have you enlightened the Mrs yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet. She flies to Thailand on holiday with her friends on Friday morning, the day the watch should arrive

Perfect.

I will text her when she is away and explain the craic.

Gives her two weeks to get over it if she's angry. :lol:

Captain_Peacock

It's a thumbs up from me Sten, your wrist doesn't look overwhelmed by the watch (I don't see any lug over hang). You carry that watch off fine for me.

Well done on the full unboxing photos as well (clearly spending an unhealthy amount of time researching watches).

Sten Guns

Will the watch fit under a shirt sleave Sten?

Hmmm, not exactly discreet. Thankfully I never wear a shirt regularly.

ehADZfU.jpg

QdkIcp2.jpg

dwVXPb2.jpg

Captain_Peacock

Hmmm, not exactly discreet. Thankfully I never wear a shirt regularly.

Short sleaved shirts are the answer.

Sten Guns

Short sleaved shirts are the answer.

Yeah think you're right.

Also agree it doesn't overwhelm my wrist.

I think this is probably the max size I could ever go though. (45.5mm)

erPfg2A.jpg

Angry Haggis

Looks a bit chunky to me likes.

Cracking watch thought. First scratch will haunt you...especially on the clasp.

Sten Guns

Looks a bit chunky to me likes.

Cracking watch thought. First scratch will haunt you...especially on the clasp.

Yeah it's a big watch. What I wanted though. Delighted with it.

I'll get a slim dress watch one day. Got a great excuse too. Haha.

Would you guys say this is too tight?

It's fine when I put it on in the morning, but after an hour or so it feels tighter.

Guessing it's my body warming up :lol:

Considering putting in a half link that came with the watch and removing it in winter times. (Recommendation on a watch forum).

Leaves an imprint like this after an hour or so....

Wonder how easy it is to do myself? Or if that's a stupid idea.

GKQkLyF.png

Edited by Sten Guns

Angry Haggis

I would try it Sten. i tend to have my seamaster slightly looser as it does constrict slightly as the day goes on.

Changing links is easy enough to do if you have the tool - plenty of youtube vids on it.

Hugh Phamism

Nice watch Sten. Still prefer my Breitling Avenger though...

I wear mines slightly looser and use the adjustment on the clasp if necessary. My wrist size seems to change by around 2 or 3mm in the heat.

Would you guys say this is too tight?

It's fine when I put it on in the morning, but after an hour or so it feels tighter.

Guessing it's my body warming up :lol:

Considering putting in a half link that came with the watch and removing it in winter times. (Recommendation on a watch forum).

Leaves an imprint like this after an hour or so....

Wonder how easy it is to do myself? Or if that's a stupid idea.

GKQkLyF.png

My watch is fairly loose in the mornings but by late afternoon is quite tight leaving the same marks

There are screw's on the bracelet which is apparently easier. Still unsure if it's worth just paying ?10 to have someone ITK do it :lol:

There's no micro adjustment on the PO clasp. So that's not an option. Hence the watch comes with a half link......

I'm off to Mexico in August and I reckon it would definitely be to tight in the heat there.

Edited by Sten Guns

Yeah it's fantastic Sten. Stunning.

From what you said about the links earlier, if they're end-screw & pins rather than solid threaded pins then get a jeweller to size it. The tiny screws that you get on some similar bracelets sometimes have incredibly narrow threads on them and can shear off, leaving a pin that can't be used due to it having half a screw stuck in it. It's not worth the risk. Go to an official Omega A.D. like Laing's and get it done. If they break a screw then they'll more than likely replace it FOC. A place like Laing's values it's reputation a lot and their customer service is excellent.

I'm on the upgrade trail myself having just secured a rather pleasant windfall that will arrive shortly. :) I think I will be trading in my Breitling for something that might end in 'X'.

Sub, GMT or Explorer II folks?

Edited by Victorian

Angry Haggis

From what you said about the links earlier, if they're end-screw & pins rather than solid threaded pins then get a jeweller to size it. The tiny screws that you get on some similar bracelets sometimes have incredibly narrow threads on them and can shear off, leaving a pin that can't be used due to it having half a screw stuck in it. It's not worth the risk. Go to an official Omega A.D. like Laing's and get it done. If they break a screw then they'll more than likely replace it FOC. A place like Laing's values it's reputation a lot and their customer service is excellent.

I'm on the upgrade trail myself having just secured a rather pleasant windfall that will arrive shortly. :) I think I will be trading in my Breitling for something that might end in 'X'.

Decent advice, used their service department recently for a pin replacement on my SeaMaster, excellent efficient service. Pin replacement (between strap & clasp) was ?15

Edited by Angry Haggis

Good point. Taz too.

Not a fan of the explorer II, particularly when you put it with the other two you mention. Much prefer those. I also find the white dial Explorer looks like a kids watch almost?

If I was buying a GMT it would be the 'batman'.

szcVWcA.jpg

If it was a sub it would be the 116610LN.

I really the LV but think the black is more versatile.

NGE85Gg.png

Decent advice, used their service department recently for a pin replacement on my SeaMaster, excellent efficient service. Pin replacement (between strap & clasp) was ?15

I once took along a vintage Omega to them that they agreed to appraise for authenticity on a free of charge basis. They even offered me a coffee while I waited. That tells you all you need to know. I didn't have the heart to accept the coffee!!!

I bought my Breitling brand new from the 'grey market' and I took that to them with it's warranty and COSC certificate for a quick look over and OK. Again FOC.

They do seem a wee bit hungry on the price of their pre-owned pieces and I'm not expecting to be bowled over by whatever I'm offered for a trade in but if I do go ahead with an upgrade then I will not be going anywhere else.

Good point. Taz too.

Not a fan of the explorer II, particularly when you put it with the other two you mention. Much prefer those. I also find the white dial Explorer looks like a kids watch almost?

If I was buying a GMT it would be the 'batman'.

szcVWcA.jpg

If it was a sub it would be the 116610LN.

I really the LV but think the black is more versatile.

NGE85Gg.png

Pretty much what I was already thinking. I'm not absolutely mad on the Explorer II so probably won't be going down that route. I don't know if I could bond with an LV ( for reasons to do with the visual spectrum of refracted light ;) )

I'm going to wait for the right non-LV Sub or SD.

On the bright side I've just won another Favre-Leuba on eBay.

My last one loses less than a minute a day. Which is pretty damned good for a 45 year old mechanical watch.

Talking of Laing's, I emailed them a couple of days ago. I need a valuation certificate for my home insurance provider.

They wanted ?30. Goldsmiths want ?10.

Given it's just a piece of paper I'll be sending to my insurer i think it's a no brainer who I go visit for that.....

Mind you, if Laing's threw in the bracelt adjustment I'd probably go to them. Is it cheeky to ask and mention a price I got elsewhere for an insurance valuation?

On the bright side I've just won another Favre-Leuba on eBay.

My last one loses less than a minute a day. Which is pretty damned good for a 45 year old mechanical watch.

How many watches do you own, Taz?

What about you Victorian?

Talking of losing time. I've started checking mine and it's gained 7 seconds in the first three days.

Can't believe I've found myself doing this :lol:

:D At the moment I have 12. Breitling S.O., A little Valjoux 7734 chrono of an obscure maker, Poljot Okeah, another c3133, a couple of vintage Seikos and assorted others. My turnaround on them is frightening and unfortunately I've let some superb watches go to fund the next in the door. I really wish I still had the Omega Speedsonic hummer I once had. Also the TAG Heuer F1 Gulf edition. I should never have let those two go although I did make money on them both.

Jimmy McNulty

Love the Rolex and Sten's Omega (been looking at Omega's for a while now). Sadly, I think both would look silly on my skinny wrist (neighbor bought a Rolex which I tried on for a few minutes and am still undecided as to whether it looked stupid). My TAG Aquaracer looks OK on the wrist, so ideally I would want something of a similar size...

Captain_Peacock

Talking of losing time. I've started checking mine and it's gained 7 seconds in the first three days.

Can't believe I've found myself doing this :lol:

You'll probably find that the accuracy of the watch changes over time from new, in a couple of months don't be surprised to see it change.

Victorian I'm afraid I'm going to go against the grain here, in order of preference for me it's:

No date Sub

White Faced Explorer

GMT

To be honest I think they are all cracking pics, I'd be interested to hear which you decide on.

How many watches do you own, Taz?

Six I think. Mostly oddities from the sixties and early seventies. All mechanical apart from my day to day work watch which is a TAG Heuer I bought in the late eighties. I think it is quite an unusual one as well in terms of the colour as I struggle sometimes to get replacement straps in the correct colour.

Captain_Peacock

Love the Rolex and Sten's Omega (been looking at Omega's for a while now). Sadly, I think both would look silly on my skinny wrist (neighbor bought a Rolex which I tried on for a few minutes and am still undecided as to whether it looked stupid). My TAG Aquaracer looks OK on the wrist, so ideally I would want something of a similar size...

What circumference wrist do you have?

You can get seamaster's in varying diameters, I think the mid size is somwhere between 36-38 mm from memory. What size is the TAG Aquaracer case, I'd imagine it would be similar in diameter to a mid size seamaster?

Which model Rolex did you try on? Most Rolex "sport" watches have a case diameter around 40 mm which is pretty conservative by modern standards.

Sten I'd cough up to have the dealer install the half link. I'd watch how he does it and decide after if you want to give it a go in future. It would be awful to have a bash yourself and end up scratching the lugs.